HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 04:19 PM
nuck
Carnivore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Nurse just feels the perfect guy for them and has a great potential.
Guaranteed top 8. He has too many positives to fall, and Nonis doesn't have the stones to trade up that far. LOL at Pullock or Shinkaruk falling that to Leafland.These players both have real high end potential in spite of some holes and are not projects. The same I think for Lazar. Not prospects you complain about if any are available near 20 but I don't see them around near that long. Unlike past years the Leafs don't have someone we expect might be dealt for a late first. I am not sure what they would have that they might part with to get into the mid teens.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:53 PM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by garce View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking Gardiner and the 20ish, too much for me too. Don't think there would be any other way to get there Too bad, Monahans really good and is going to be a very solid pro and maybe a star.
How about gardiner and 30th

Old
04-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
I'm not willing to trade Gardiner like some of you are. Too much potential and his defensive game is coming along nicely. Would not trade him or Rielly.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I'm not willing to trade Gardiner like some of you are. Too much potential and his defensive game is coming along nicely. Would not trade him or Rielly.
Aye captain. What's the chance of us ending up with a top 2 puck mover? I dunno, but they're better if we keep both and double our odds

Old
04-14-2013, 05:07 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Guaranteed top 8. He has too many positives to fall, and Nonis doesn't have the stones to trade up that far. LOL at Pullock or Shinkaruk falling that to Leafland.These players both have real high end potential in spite of some holes and are not projects. The same I think for Lazar. Not prospects you complain about if any are available near 20 but I don't see them around near that long. Unlike past years the Leafs don't have someone we expect might be dealt for a late first. I am not sure what they would have that they might part with to get into the mid teens.
Grigorenko and Forsberg. The draft gets weird sometimes lol.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Aye captain. What's the chance of us ending up with a top 2 puck mover? I dunno, but they're better if we keep both and double our odds
Exactly. Gardiner has top pairing potential. Rielly can be a #1D.

Sean Monahan might be a gem but do we really want to wait 2-3 years before he plays for the Leafs?

If we trade ever trade Gardiner. It should be a JvR for Schenn type trade.

Quote:
Well Pulock has dropped because of his injury and is not in the top 10. He could easily fall to ~15th and the Leafs could trade up to get him.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
garce

Quote:
I wouldn't trade him either, with one exception, for a established star#1 center. Being that those just aren't available I'll be more than happy to keep both Gardiner and Rielly.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
showtime8

IMO, the likeliness of a player drafted in 2013 to play on the Leafs is under 5%. I just can't see Carlyle or Nonis expecting the player being drafted to play in the NHL for a bit.

So my thinking is, you take the player with the highest upside rather than being more NHL ready. I'm not talking Calgary Flames reaching on Janikowski type player, but more of a "project". What's the point in rushing along a guy like Rychel or Horvat (whomever you prefer here) just to say that they were a first round pick and hope for the best out of them.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:55 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:

Sean Monahan might be a gem but do we really want to wait 2-3 years before he plays for the Leafs?

Well Pulock has dropped because of his injury and is not in the top 10. He could easily fall to ~15th and the Leafs could trade up to get him.
I really hope we get Pulock, firstly he would look great on our young D with Rielly and Percy and secondly it would make the young man's dream come true. Character kid with talent that would be a great asset to any organization.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:

Man Leaf Nation is a fickle bunch sometimes. Gardiner has some sophomore struggles and already people are willing to trade him. The guy's only 22, let's let him develop a little lol.

Nice to see others agree,

Old
04-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yea that's my view on Nurse too. Stranger things have happened so who knows, so who knows what will happen in draft day buddy. I think Lazar won't rise as much as I think though, unless someone pays extreme stock to the oil kings.

04-14-2013, 06:02 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
IMO, the likeliness of a player drafted in 2013 to play on the Leafs is under 5%. I just can't see Carlyle or Nonis expecting the player being drafted to play in the NHL for a bit.

So my thinking is, you take the player with the highest upside rather than being more NHL ready. I'm not talking Calgary Flames reaching on Janikowski type player, but more of a "project". What's the point in rushing along a guy like Rychel or Horvat (whomever you prefer here) just to say that they were a first round pick and hope for the best out of them.
Just because I'm a Flames fan (as well as a Leafs fan), Jankowksi was exactly the type of pick you're describing. I know a lot of people on hfboards like to call it a reach but it wasn't really. It was reported that a few other teams were considering taking him in the first round plus Button near the end of the year was saying he could go top 30. He's essentially a very similar pick to what Nick Bjugstad was when he was picked...

And I doubt you have to worry about the Leafs rushing prospects. The organization seems pretty committed to developing prospects the right way. Just look to Rielly. They could have possibly had him on the team but they held off. The Leafs will take BPA and let the player develop the way he needs to.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:54 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
I wouldn't trade Gardiner alone for anything other than a top 8 pick.

The kid is a stud yet 1 little sophomore slump has us packing his bags for him.
We haven't had a defenceman that can control the flow of the game offensively like him since Kaberle.

If he can become an adequate defender; which I'm sure he can, the guy is going to be a force for years to come.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Sundinisagod
christmas in june

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Grigorenko and Forsberg. The draft gets weird sometimes lol.
That's right, never say never on draft day...

In this year's draft, I think after the top 7 or 8 you will see a lot of surprises with players rising and falling.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
That's right, never say never on draft day...

In this year's draft, I think after the top 7 or 8 you will see a lot of surprises with players rising and falling.
Agreed. I think its a strong crop from 8-30ish but there isn't a huge differentiation between most of them (obviously there are exceptions)

Old
04-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Sundinisagod
christmas in june

Quote:

If we trade ever trade Gardiner. It should be a JvR for Schenn type trade

I somewhat disagree with this. I think we need to fill the void left by Schenn, we really need a rh top 4 d-man...who can play D.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I somewhat disagree with this. I think we need to fill the void left by Schenn, we really need a rh top 4 d-man...who can play D.
Not sure I'd give up Gardiner for that.

Would you trade Gardiner for Bogosian? Or Tyler Myers? If either are even available.

Might just be easier to try and trade up to take Pulock (I know, I know I've argued against him...) or Ristolainen or hope they fall and then swap Gardiner for that center with upside. Maybe trade Gardiner to one of Edmonton (for their 1st), Tampa (for their 1st), or to Philly (for Couturier or their 1st) provided a guy like Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov is available for that 1st pick. Now that I think about it, I'd be ok with doing that and grabbing Pulock.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Pi

Pulock is now ranked 14th by ISS! Who said he can't drop to the Leafs?

I really hope we can get Pulock...we'll have one of the deepest defensive prospects in the league:

Gardiner (not really a prospect anymore)
Rielly
Blacker
Finn
Percy
Pulock!! RHD.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
ErnieLeafs

I only consider moving Gardiner for a piece in the middle. If Barkov can be had, you have to think long and hard about the big, talented two-way forward. He kind of has it all, although scoring goals isn't necessarily his strength, he's a great playmaker who slows the game down. Very cerebral, always a few steps ahead of the play in his mind, and plays in every situation.

Of course, he would have to make it past Florida, Calgary, Carolina, Tampa, and Edmonton, or one of those would have to be willing to dance. Edmonton would be the most likely with Schultz, the need for D, and the bevvy of high picks the last 3-4 years.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post

Would you trade Gardiner for Bogosian? Or Tyler Myers? If either are even available.

Might just be easier to try and trade up to take Pulock (I know, I know I've argued against him...) or Ristolainen or hope they fall and then swap Gardiner for that center with upside. Maybe trade Gardiner to one of Edmonton (for their 1st), Tampa (for their 1st), or to Philly (for Couturier or their 1st) provided a guy like Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov is available for that 1st pick. Now that I think about it, I'd be ok with doing that and grabbing Pulock.
I would move Gardiner for Myers for sure.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I only consider moving Gardiner for a piece in the middle. If Barkov can be had, you have to think long and hard about the big, talented two-way forward. He kind of has it all, although scoring goals isn't necessarily his strength, he's a great playmaker who slows the game down. Very cerebral, always a few steps ahead of the play in his mind, and plays in every situation.

Of course, he would have to make it past Florida, Calgary, Carolina, Tampa, and Edmonton, or one of those would have to be willing to dance. Edmonton would be the most likely with Schultz, the need for D, and the bevvy of high picks the last 3-4 years.
I haven't really watched much of any Euro prospects.

How would Barkov compare to Kopitar when he was a prospect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I would move Gardiner for Myers for sure.
Why? Myers doesn't use his size, has not proven that he's good defensively and like Schenn, he alternates between having a good season and bad season + he's got a mammoth contract.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
I haven't really watched much of any Euro prospects.

How would Barkov compare to Kopitar when he was a prospect?

Why? Myers doesn't use his size, has not proven that he's good defensively and like Schenn, he alternates between having a good season and bad season + he's got a mammoth contract.
They are often compared.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:29 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post

He's certainly not bad at scoring goals. It's definitely part of his repertoire, just maybe not the best part of his offensive game.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Sundinisagod
christmas in june

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post

Absolutely and maybe...agreed that trading up for Risto or Pulock would prolly make more sense as well.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Fearless Leaf*

Gardiner was awesome on Saturday. Made some slick offensive chances off couple of rushes. He was electrifying out there and played very well defensively.

I wouldn't trade him unless management completely gives up on him and we could similar level impact C in return.

Closed Thread