HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Have to go back a long way before you find a good Leafs' pick at 22.

Rick Kehoe and Errol Thompson.

42 years ago.
I don't believe in the voodoo or karma you may be implying, but we have done well in that range. I like the Biggs pick, and I think he will be a very serviceable 3rd liner. A true 3rd liner. We took Rask at 21, and Steen and Boyes at 24. Also Cereda at 24. lol

But it's not the same organization anyway.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Dalton View Post
I read that from a number of different scouting reports, but also from a Draft podcasts I listened to where his skating had been questioned by a scout as being below what it needs to be for a player of his size.

If it is an issue, it's not to say it can't be improved, but I guess, the main point I was raising is simply that if nothing other than his being 'Best Player Available' on list should influence his selection.

I have to add that unlike many 'experts' on here, I have never seen him play live, so I can't say that I have that to go by.
He often breezes around OHL defenders. I do wonder if he will be able to do that against faster and stronger NHLers though, and we won't know until we see it.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:19 PM
pooleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Gauthier showed a good bit today, with the game winner, and being a complete beast on the PK, blocking shots, and relentless work in his own zone.

You can see that his skating needs polishing, but it's not holding him back, as he was routinely one of the first forwards back on D, and was on the money in the right space to pot the winner.

He and Rychel are 1A and 1B for me, where we're at.
Gauthier, Rychel, Fucale, are who i want. would be nice if we could get pulock but i doubt he falls that far

Old
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
good thing were currently picking in the 21st pick
Perhaps Rask is going to be a good 21st. pick ... at least better than Bancroft.

Quenneville was decent and Meehan had a decent career.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Drakkor

Quote:
Perhaps Rask is going to be a good 21st. pick ... at least better than Bancroft.

Or maybe a stronger focus on development will bring brighter futures for these later picks.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:54 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:

Ken Spangler was a terrible pick but Clark made up for that.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:12 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

We've had pretty bad luck in the 1st round in general... Ware, Convery, Fichaud, Cereda, Drake Berehowsky, Scott Thornton.....

Eughhhhh

Old
04-28-2013, 08:31 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
We've had pretty bad luck in the 1st round in general... Ware, Convery, Fichaud, Cereda, Drake Berehowsky, Scott Thornton.....

Eughhhhh
Yeah but scouting wasn't anywhere close to what it is now when those picks were made. Scouting staffs have gotten comparably massive as the league gets richer.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:36 PM
The Winter Soldier

Leafs scouting in the Ballard years was almost non-existent. We were smart once when we were the first to acquire Swedes with Gregory as GM, but that was the extent of it. It wasn't until Fletcher came in the first go around that we hired proper people, we picked Kenny Jonnson from Rogle Sweden I recall, great pick, so was Antropov, who knows if he didn't get hurt. But it's light year to Morrison today.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Yeah but scouting wasn't anywhere close to what it is now when those picks were made. Scouting staffs have gotten comparably massive as the league gets richer.
That's true.

I want more looks given to Sweden, Finland, and the Czech Rep. We're missing those elements for the most part, outside of Nilsson/Granberg. Both of Sweden and Finland are producing solid two-way players with good skills over the last few years.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I think this as well. I haven't done an exhaustive study, but i believes drafts are much better now at getting the players drafted in order of their talent and growth potential. Certainly Detroit hasn't been able to sneak any more Lidstroms or Zetterbergs in the late rounds. I would like to talk to a veteran scout some time and find out what new metrics have been added in the last 20 years as well. I am not worried about Cereda's any more, but I still think they drafted a guy like Biggs based more on gut instinct "he looks like a player" rather than empirical evidence. l

Closed Thread