HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Dark Knight
The Future!!

vCash: 500
Been on the Zach Fucale bandwagon, and will stay on it till the end.

I'm still a fan of Adam Erne. If he drops, I see a Brandon Saad type situation occuring where a talented guy slipped to the 2nd and became a blue-chip. He has the talent.

03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
If we finish 10-12th

what do we do?

I would hope we package any picks we get in trades to move up to 7-8th and select Monahan
Would be nice, if we can't do that I wouldn't mind staying put and seeing if Shinkaruk is still around.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

You guys seen Connor Hurley from Edina (Minnesota Elite)? CSS has him as the 32nd ranked NA skater.

Caught a few abbreviated games and he's pretty dominant. Totally controls the pace of the game. Looks like he's playing rec league out there.

His skating is solid but not overwhelming, but he's got great offensive instincts. 20-32 for 52 points in 31 games. We've hit up Minnesota High School a few times -- Toninato, Cameranesi, and Everson are all solid prospects. Seems like he (and Taylor Cammarata hopefully) could be on our radar.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
You guys seen Connor Hurley from Edina (Minnesota Elite)? CSS has him as the 32nd ranked NA skater.

Caught a few abbreviated games and he's pretty dominant. Totally controls the pace of the game. Looks like he's playing rec league out there.

His skating is solid but not overwhelming, but he's got great offensive instincts. 20-32 for 52 points in 31 games. We've hit up Minnesota High School a few times -- Toninato, Cameranesi, and Everson are all solid prospects. Seems like he (and Taylor Cammarata hopefully) could be on our radar.
Taylor cammarata would've been arguable a top 10 pick if it wasn't for his size. That guy has insane skill not even funny how he makes everyone look like midget junior players.

03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
This.

I don't get the "can't create his own offense". It's sure that if you loss a player of Grigforenko caliber on your line your production will drop a little bit, and like ErnieLeafs said, Erne's game compliment Kadri game or a playmaking center very well. Also like LeafsDangler said, Erne abilities to challenge a defenseman outside with power is amazing.

I like a lot Frédérik Gauthier, Kerby Rychel, Anthony Mantha, Adam Erne, Ryan Hartman in the middle to late 1st round.

Would also want to know more about Tyler Hill, and seeing more games of Max Domi and Bo Horvat.
Yeah, my uncle in QC says he hasn't liked the drop in offensive production, but has liked the effort by Erne to improve his 200ft. Game. This was something he lacked prior, and has taken to pretty well over the last month or so.

I like any of Erne/Mantha/Gauthier/Lazar/ and Rychel where we're picking.

And to comment on Rychel's production, look at who HIS center is. He's no slouch, and vastly improved Rychel's play upon return.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Taylor cammarata would've been arguable a top 10 pick if it wasn't for his size. That guy has insane skill not even funny how he makes everyone look like midget junior players.
So sexy. Gladly take him in the 2nd or 3rd.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I'll take a flier on Mantha for his skill, but I'm weary of taking a flier on Gauthier for his size. He may have untapped potential, but meh. Defensive game for forwards is somewhat overstated.

Erne is a bum. I wouldn't draft a guy in the teens that can't create his own offence, especially if people who can are available. Erne is basically a worse Frattin.

Lazar has skills. Button gave him at least 4/5 on every aspect of the game. This is the guy we need if we're picking in the teens (unless someone with more skill like Shinkaruk slips).
Lazar's game just screams out Ryan O'Reilly to me. ROR was also high touted year before draft, but stock dropped a bit due to not putting up huge numbers. Lazar seems to have a really well rounded game that should translate well to the pro level. It could also be the fact he plays on a really good team and not relied upon to be a big time point producer. I hope he is available when we pick.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMGmqA2FrjM

There are those that really like Button, and I'm iffy on him (namely "Ice Q", which makes NO SENSE at all, and his blatant ranking guys low, and refusing to amend his opinion based on play, and what others who see specific players more often are saying), but here's a little blurb on a couple of beauties from the QMJHL.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

This is why I want Anthony Mantha. He has a poor giveaway, which leads to a breakaway, but he shows flashes of absolute dominance. Great big kid who can skate, and has one hell of a release.

He would be ideal next to Kadri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM6VBkfQIdU

Old
03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Button on Mantha..... Every time i read/hear/see more of this kid, he jumps off the page at me as the best choice. We need size and scoring ability in the top-6, and this kid may just be the best combo in the draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuNTqBPBRA

Old
03-19-2013, 04:35 PM
LeafDangler

I'd be very cautious about taking Mantha. When I've seen him live he's looked decent but not great. Ended up with a nice stat line but I worry that he's boosted by elite size for the QMJHL and a late birthdate. He's a tricky one.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
I'd be very cautious about taking Mantha. When I've seen him live he's looked decent but not great. Ended up with a nice stat line but I worry that he's boosted by elite size for the QMJHL and a late birthdate. He's a tricky one.
More than willing to take him. We're at a stage where it's time to take high potential kids, and develop them. Size + speed + pure scoring ability.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Mantha is my target around 15 as well. A lot of risk/reward with him.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
VanW27

Depending on your viewpoint you could take this as a negative or a positive, but Mantha reminds me a lot of Grigorenko.

Both big, lanky guys with great shots and goal scoring ability. Both are good skaters and at the end of the night you look at the scoresheet and see a 3 point night but somehow your left wanting more. He has great skills I'm just not sure if he'll give you Max effort.

If your looking for a homerun outside the top 10 Mantha could be the guy to target.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

I'm still a fan of Adam Erne. If he drops, I see a Brandon Saad type situation occuring where a talented guy slipped to the 2nd and became a blue-chip. He has the talent.
Count me in. Not that I really have a handle on him, but I'm all for rolling the dice on a highly rated goalie if we're picking somewhere outside the top 20...like we did on Rask.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Mantha is my target around 15 as well. A lot of risk/reward with him.
Yeah at 15 I'd be thrilled to get him...

Some of my targets who may be had in the 10-20 range, where I think we'll be:

Ristolainen
Mantha
Fucale
Nurse
Wennberg
Hagg
Nichushkin
Pulock

Monohan I can't see him dropping out of the top 7.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:02 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Conversely, if he'd been born a day earlier, he'd be the youngest player in the 2012 draft. Would you be willing to spend a 1st on the youngest guy in the draft with the guarantee that he'll score 50 in his post-draft year?

Old
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
GenericFan2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

Agreed. Fucale brings things you cannot find in other goalies, let alone goalies his age. I really hope the Leafs draft him.

I also really like Erne; physical player with a heavy shot, can't have enough of that.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Duffman955

What is Lazar's offensive potential?

I would like to go with a guy that has high end skill and solid top 6 potential.

We already have a lot of "safe" prospects, and are lacking a forward with game breaking, high end talent.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Conversely, if he'd been born a day earlier, he'd be the youngest player in the 2012 draft. Would you be willing to spend a 1st on the youngest guy in the draft with the guarantee that he'll score 50 in his post-draft year?
Good way of putting it. Mantha and Zykov look pretty enticing.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

I would like to go with a guy that has high end skill and solid top 6 potential.

We already have a lot of "safe" prospects, and are lacking a forward with game breaking, high end talent.
I've been questioning lazar's offensive ability since the beginning of the season and I still do till this day. I honestly can't tell.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I've been questioning lazar's offensive ability since the beginning of the season and I still do till this day. I honestly can't tell.
With you on this one. Crapped the bed for the first half, and then when everyone's all but written him off, he goes on and has an absolutely torrid second half.

Which Lazar are you getting?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
30 goals in his last 45 games is nothing to sneeze at. Even if Lazar can't get it done offensively at the NHL level, he's virtually guaranteed to be an effective 3rd line player, which is why, imo, he's a top 15 pick.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:40 PM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

I think he has a lot more offensive potential than some give him credit for. He's playing on a stacked Oil Kings team. He'd be producing a lot more if he wasn't stuck behind St. Croix. He has an elite shot, and plays really hard. Not a direct comparison to the player he will be, but he plays like Jonathan Toews. He plays LIKE Toews he won't BE Toews. Just his play style.

I think ideally he can be a very good 2nd line C, and is all but certain to be able to be a great 3 C in the future. Very safe pick, with good upside as well. Him and Gauthier would be my main targets if we pick at 15. Along with Pulock if he falls that far (doubt it).

Old
03-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Toronto now drafting 16th...

Closed Thread