HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Toronto now drafting 16th...
A case for Alexander Wennberg.

An extremely gifted skater with puckhandling skills. Has got the potential to develop a scoring touch but plays a two-way game which makes him a rare prospects because even if he wasn't to develop a top 6 scoring touch, he has the makings of a very high end checking forward. However, the likelihood to develop a scoring touch is high. He is equally adept at playing at the boards and cycling and coming out with the puck.

Best case: Loui Eriksson
Worst case: Jannik Hansen

As you can see, the worst case scenario isn't a bad one at all.

Last edited by Dark Knight: 03-20-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
A case for Alexander Wennberg.

An extremely gifted skater with puckhandling skills. Has got the potential to develop a scoring but plays a two-way game which makes him a rare prospects because even if he wasn't to develop a top 6 scoring touch, he has the makings of a very high end checking forward. However, the likelihood to develop a scoring touch is high. He is equally adept at playing at the boards and cycling and coming out with the puck.

Best case: Loui Eriksson
Worst case: Jannik Hansen

As you can see, the worst case scenario isn't a bad one at all.
Definitely a guy I would like to see the Leafs target if Bergman likes his game

Old
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Still to see all of wennberg's game before i pass judgement.

Anyways this is a bit OT, but anyways it's about future prospects.

The Vancouver Giants have the first overall for the WHL bantam draft and they are very likely to draft Tyler Benson. While at it Super Prospect Sean Day has been granted exceptional status and is also a shoe in for first overall in their bantam draft. Things have started to get VERY interesting for hockey canada's future

03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
SplitLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Still to see all of wennberg's game before i pass judgement.

Anyways this is a bit OT, but anyways it's about future prospects.

The Vancouver Giants have the first overall for the WHL bantam draft and they are very likely to draft Tyler Benson. While at it Super Prospect Sean Day has been granted exceptional status and is also a shoe in for first overall in their bantam draft. Things have started to get VERY interesting for hockey canada's future
Thats a surprise considering all the rumors stating he would not be granted exceptional status.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Thats a surprise considering all the rumors stating he would not be granted exceptional status.
Also that he wouldn't go first or even second.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Also that he wouldn't go first or even second.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 49m
Expecting an official announcement from Hockey Canada in the next 48 hours, which would allow Day to attend OHL Combine this weekend.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 52m
Hearing Sean Day, CDN who plays for Compuware minor midgets, has been granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada and is OHL draft eligible.
Trust me...this kid is something else. I seriously mean it. He's in another level.

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec 48s
SSAC's Tyler Benson likely first O/A pick to Vancouver in WHL bantam draft. Set AMBHL record with 146 pts in 33 games.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Really hope the 67's draft Day.

03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Day may be better than Jones, when all's said and done.

Unbelievable prospect

Old
03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Really hope the 67's draft Day.
Apparently they really like Travis Konency. Like a lot. Enough to consider passing on the extra year of eligibility that Day would have (not to mention his talent). Apparently there are questions of how driven he is (Day that is).

Old
03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Day may be better than Jones, when all's said and done.

Unbelievable prospect
He truly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Apparently they really like Travis Konency. Like a lot. Enough to consider passing on the extra year of eligibility that Day would have (not to mention his talent). Apparently there are questions of how driven he is (Day that is).
well things just got interesting.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He truly is.

well things just got interesting.
And apparently they aren't the only team lol. Rumor has it that Erie is considering it as well.

And both teams are interested in Dylan Strome as well, over Day.

So things could get very interesting.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:40 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

They're concerned because Day looks bored playing with Compuware, which he is. Drive is no issue. This kid will be a superstar. Best player at 14 I've ever seen.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:16 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

What about some prospects that you like after the first round? Here's mine:

Could maybe go in the 1st round:

Tyler Hill - Never saw him play, but from the report, 6'6", very physical and decent skating and skills. Intriguing and high potential for sure.
William Carrier - Keep falling because of an injury and maybe a bad. But big, very good skater and offensively.
Anthony Duclair - A great offensive player, having a season maybe a little bit under the expectations.
Laurent Dauphin - A good two-way player who play a very intense game, good offensively.
Justin Baily - 6'5", big forward with high offensive potential.

Others:

Emile Poirier - Just an awesome player. One of my favorite player in the draft, I would take him in the 1st round, or at least in the 2nd round. Very complete and well-rounded, great speed, very good offensively and defensively, plays in every situation. Can play physical also. Everey time I watched Gatineau play he stood out big time.
Nick Sorensen - Good offensively, well-rounded and decent size.
Jacob de la Rose - All-around two-way forward.
Eric Roy - Falling in the draft, but still has very good potential, big a solid offensively.
Ross Olsson - Big physical forward.
Philippe Desrosiers - Goalie with good potential.
Jean-Sebastien Dea - 2nd year of eligibility, forward with high offensive skills. Great shot and scoring ablilities.
Yan-Pavel Laplante - Falling in the draft because of an injury, forward with a complet game.
Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau - Great offensive forward. Will always find a way to put points, great hockey sense and shot.
Taylor Cammarata - Amazing offensive forward. Puts dominant stats everywhere he wnet.
Alexandre Belanger - Goalie with good potential.
Kurt Etchegary - Two-way forward, play with high energy.
Tommy Veilleux - Physical forward.
Jerome Verrier - 2nd year of eligibility, all-around forward.
Maxime Gravel - Two-way defenseman, also good ofensive abilities.
Tyler Bertuzzi - Physical forward.
Philippe Cadorette - Goalie with good potential.
Adam Chapman - 2nd year of eligibility, Ontario kid, very physical, decent offensively and well-rounded game.
Anthony De Luca - Small but very strong built, good offensive potential, awesome shot.
Brenden Kichton - Didn't sign with the Islanders, re-enter the draft, can't ignore the numbers he puts as an offensive defenseman in his WHL career.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
LeafDangler

Cammarata is the guy I want in the 2nd. He's right up there with the best in the draft in the skill department. He's going the college route so let him take his time bulk up and round out his game. Rather roll the dice on skill than anything else.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
TheMadHatTrick

In the 2nd round and beyond I like:

Madison Bowey (if he falls)
Tristan Jarry, G
Marko Dano, C/LW
Connor Hurley, C
Justin Bailey, RW
Laurent Dauphin, C
Jordan Subban, D
Mitch Wheaton, D
Eric Comrie, G
Jesse Lees, D
Jacob de la Rose, C/LW
Phillipe Derossiers, G
Ryan Kujawanski, C
Nick Moutrey, C/LW

Old
03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I like Lodge, Subban, Jarry, Poirier near the middle-late 2nd. Such good depth in this draft, Lodge is possibly a better prospect than Faksa who went 13th last year.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
What about some prospects that you like after the first round? Here's mine:

Could maybe go in the 1st round:

Tyler Hill - Never saw him play, but from the report, 6'6", very physical and decent skating and skills. Intriguing and high potential for sure.
William Carrier - Keep falling because of an injury and maybe a bad. But big, very good skater and offensively.
Anthony Duclair - A great offensive player, having a season maybe a little bit under the expectations.
Laurent Dauphin - A good two-way player who play a very intense game, good offensively.
Justin Bailey - 6'5", big forward with high offensive potential.

Others:

Emile Poirier - Just an awesome player. One of my favorite player in the draft, I would take him in the 1st round, or at least in the 2nd round. Very complete and well-rounded, great speed, very good offensively and defensively, plays in every situation. Can play physical also. Everey time I watched Gatineau play he stood out big time.
Nick Sorensen - Good offensively, well-rounded and decent size.
Jacob de la Rose - All-around two-way forward.
Eric Roy - Falling in the draft, but still has very good potential, big a solid offensively.
Ross Olsson - Big physical forward.
Philippe Desrosiers - Goalie with good potential.
Jean-Sebastien Dea - 2nd year of eligibility, forward with high offensive skills. Great shot and scoring ablilities.
Yan-Pavel Laplante - Falling in the draft because of an injury, forward with a complet game.
Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau - Great offensive forward. Will always find a way to put points, great hockey sense and shot.
Taylor Cammarata - Amazing offensive forward. Puts dominant stats everywhere he wnet.
Alexandre Belanger - Goalie with good potential.
Kurt Etchegary - Two-way forward, play with high energy.
Tommy Veilleux - Physical forward.
Jerome Verrier - 2nd year of eligibility, all-around forward.
Maxime Gravel - Two-way defenseman, also good ofensive abilities.
Tyler Bertuzzi - Physical forward.
Philippe Cadorette - Goalie with good potential.
Adam Chapman - 2nd year of eligibility, Ontario kid, very physical, decent offensively and well-rounded game.
Anthony De Luca - Small but very strong built, good offensive potential, awesome shot.
Brenden Kichton - Didn't sign with the Islanders, re-enter the draft, can't ignore the numbers he puts as an offensive defenseman in his WHL career.
Love Dauphin. Big fan. Bailey looks great too. Although I think he's 6 foot 3 not 5. Tyler Hill seems intriguing but I've never seen him play. I'm a little wary grabbing someone from high school but it seems to have worked with Bjugstad and Jankowksi is looking good in his first NCAA season.

Poirier looks awesome. Didn't know about him so thanks. De la Rose and Eric Roy are definitely interesting. Maybe not huge potential but decent guys. Anthony Deluca seems like an interesting project pick late.

I would love to get my hands on Cammarata. He's small but incredibly skilled. Definitely agree with LeafDangler on him. He's comparable to Gaudreau (although I think Gaudreau is the more talented player)

Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I've bever really been impressed by Bailey, and I've seen him 2-3 times. I can see he has some skill, but he seems like a project in the 2nd, and to be honest, we could add a great young goalie prospect like Jarry or Martin, or a guy like Bigras or Dano. There's just better options.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:16 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Love Dauphin. Big fan. Bailey looks great too. Although I think he's 6 foot 3 not 5. Tyler Hill seems intriguing but I've never seen him play. I'm a little wary grabbing someone from high school but it seems to have worked with Bjugstad and Jankowksi is looking good in his first NCAA season.

Poirier looks awesome. Didn't know about him so thanks. De la Rose and Eric Roy are definitely interesting. Maybe not huge potential but decent guys. Anthony Deluca seems like an interesting project pick late.

I would love to get my hands on Cammarata. He's small but incredibly skilled. Definitely agree with LeafDangler on him. He's comparable to Gaudreau (although I think Gaudreau is the more talented player)
Yeah you're right, my mistake.

And yeah for Hill, I guess he'll not be a TOP pick because he's from high school.

And yeah for sure on Cammarata, a guy with his offensive abilities would be awesome to have in our system.

I also forgot about Marko Dano and Martin Reway on my list, two good offensive players from the Slovakia U20 team at the WJC.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:12 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I've bever really been impressed by Bailey, and I've seen him 2-3 times. I can see he has some skill, but he seems like a project in the 2nd, and to be honest, we could add a great young goalie prospect like Jarry or Martin, or a guy like Bigras or Dano. There's just better options.
Martin is interesting. But Jarry? Eh not so much to me. He's playing behind one of, if not the, most stacked defensive teams in the entire CHL. He's got Musil, Gernat, Reinhart, Lowe playing in front of him every game, not to mention some very good two way forwards like Lazar. I'd just prefer to go after Martin over Jarry.

But honestly, I'm not really a fan of going after a goalie early on. Just don't really think its worth it to be honest. I'd prefer to go for that boom/bust forward prospect like Bailey over a goalie. I'd be cool with Bigras I guess, but I'd like to add some offensive players into our system. It's starting to lack it.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post

Tristan Jarry, G
Marko Dano, C/LW
Connor Hurley, C
Justin Bailey, RW
Laurent Dauphin, C
Jordan Subban, D
Mitch Wheaton, D
Eric Comrie, G
Jesse Lees, D
Jacob de la Rose, C/LW
Phillipe Derossiers, G
Ryan Kujawanski, C
Nick Moutrey, C/LW
Dauphin is a great potential 2nd round pick - all heart.

I don't think he'll last though. He'll go late 1st to early 2nd IMO. GM's tend to go for more sure things towards the end of 1st (Samuelsson to Phoenix).

Old
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post

Tristan Jarry, G
Marko Dano, C/LW
Connor Hurley, C
Justin Bailey, RW
Laurent Dauphin, C
Jordan Subban, D
Mitch Wheaton, D
Eric Comrie, G
Jesse Lees, D
Jacob de la Rose, C/LW
Phillipe Derossiers, G
Ryan Kujawanski, C
Nick Moutrey, C/LW
I would love to get Subban. I'm not exactly sure where he's going to go but I'd like to draft him. I'd bet money he's going to grow a little still (both his brothers are above 6 feet) and I think he's incredibly talented.

Kujawinski has fallen a lot but he could be one of those guys you take with a 3rd or 4th (he might legitimately fall that far) and come out looking like you got a steal. He could top out as a strong 2nd line center with size. Ultimately I would like to pick one of Kujawinski, Lodge or Bailey. Not sure how likely that is but I'd like to try.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Surprised to find Sabres 3rd last in the league. Not looking forward seeing them add a Drouin/MacKinnon

Old
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Three WHL forwards that have caught my interest.

Greg Chase - Someone mentioned him before (I swear I'll give you credit I just can't remember who it was haha), but he's looking pretty good. He has good but not amazing numbers but he's been pretty consistent offensively. Next year he'll likely get an increased opportunity with a few overagers leaving the Hitmen and likely seeing Rask leave for the AHL (if he doesn't make the NHL). Could see a sweet opportunity playing with Virtanen.

Morgan Klimchuk - He's been mentioned a few times before already as well. Great second season with 36 goals and 76 points on a bad Regina Pats team. He's only a minus one on a team that's 5th last in the entire WHL for goals against, which is pretty impressive.

Tim McGauley - First round WHL bantam draft pick, and was one of the players sent to Brandon for Brayden Schenn back when that trade happened. Tied for the team lead in points with Ryan Pulock, second in goals and PPG's, and this is his first WHL season. Late birthday too.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Surprised to find Sabres 3rd last in the league. Not looking forward seeing them add a Drouin/MacKinnon
The Northeast is starting to look very strong. Ottawa's core is looking killer, Boston is Boston, Motnreal is making the right moves and has a sweet looking future with Galchneyuk/Subban/Price/Pacioretty etc, and Buffalo adding Drouin/MacKinnon to Hodgson/Grigorenko/Ott. Ugh could be a difficult future division. Plus Tampa adding a top 7 pick could make things very interesting. Florida...not so much lol

Closed Thread