HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Low Effort GDT

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 10:09 PM
totaltank

vCash: 500
One of the great mysteries of this board is why we're willing to give breaks to third liners who couldn't score in a women's prison with a fistful of pardons, but we continue to "call out" the guys who are putting points on the board because they don't *look* like they're trying hard enough. Or they're taking penalties. When E. Staal is around the puck as much as he is, and when he's working the boards as hard as he does, he's going to get his stick up on somebody every now and then. He's going to get his stick in somebody's skates every now and then. I will *gladly* take his minor penalties in exchange for his offensive production.

If you want to get on somebody, there's no shortage of candidates. But E. Staal, Semin and Tlusty aren't among them. It's pure madness that we even have to deal with this with the season the guy is having. He's a freakin' MVP candidate for heaven's sake. What do you people want?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

It's not the stick penalties that bother us. It's the interference way away from the play and the unsportsmanlikes.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Personally, I think the "He puts up points, so who cares what else he does" mentality is a mystery. After some of the games Eric's had, I don't see how people can defend him, points or no. There are some tell-tale signs of when Eric isn't feeling "up" to playing a particular game. The aforementioned penalties away from the play, the lazy backchecks, the staying down after hits looking for a call. Or my personal favorite: The weak stickcheck attempt at a player as they race past him with the puck. No inclination to skate with said player, just a quick swipe, then the shoulder slumps as he attempts to chase them down. Let's not act like these aren't obvious parts of Eric's game, even this year.

And again, the problem is this came out of the blue. Eric had a great first half of the season. He was playing well, consistently, whether he put up points or was held off the scoresheet. Didn't matter, because the effort was there. Anyone who's been on this board for a while knows I'll call out Eric if he's had a **** game. Rarely happened early in the season, which surprised me.

In recent games (such as the three I listed before), that same effort wasn't there. Wouldn't be a big deal, since players are bound to have "off games", except that it was 3 games in such a short time span that I think it needed to be addressed. Especially if it's an indicator of things to come.

But knowing Eric, he'll probably put up 5 points against Tampa tomorrow and all will be forgiven.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
One of the great mysteries of this board is why we're willing to give breaks to third liners who couldn't score in a women's prison with a fistful of pardons
I admit, I got a laugh out of that Kev.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:26 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
It's a long conversation StormCast. No need to give shots. We all want the same thing and are on the same side. I'm not going to argue. I understand that this is the typical internet stuff but it doesn't have to be here. If you or anyone else want to discuss, great. Argue and infer ignorance or name call. I'm not interested.
There was no name calling at all. You cited coaching as the cause and I simply suggested watching a practice which is where you can see the coaching take place. But if that's typical internet stuff to you so be it.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:31 AM
StormCast

Quote:
It's a long conversation StormCast. No need to give shots. We all want the same thing and are on the same side. I'm not going to argue. I understand that this is the typical internet stuff but it doesn't have to be here. If you or anyone else want to discuss, great. Argue and infer ignorance or name call. I'm not interested.
There was no name calling at all. You cited coaching as the cause and I simply suggested watching a practice which is where you can see the coaching take place. But if that's typical internet stuff to you so be it.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:53 AM
rocky7
Tell itasit Isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
I would love to take a trip down there with my son and watch a game and maybe take in a practise. We have talked about a hockey trip to a couple of places. Maybe the sunny south might not be a bad idea. I have more to say about about Muller, etc., but right now we aren't feeling too well. I think he brought home another bug from school.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:05 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
I would love to take a trip down there with my son and watch a game and maybe take in a practise. We have talked about a hockey trip to a couple of places. Maybe the sunny south might not be a bad idea. I have more to say about about Muller, etc., but right now we aren't feeling too well. I think he brought home another bug from school.
Possible. Or could be like I was last week where it felt like I had the mystery death plague of doom and it turned out to be allergies. Worst allergies of my life but still.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

What is this thread? Is this seriously a conversation right now?

Closed Thread