HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
The lack of ownership is also starting to hurt the team going forward player wise.

http://arizonasports.com/43/1622225/...cult-situation

"It's a difficult situation, quite frankly," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "The level of contract he's looking for, without an ownership in place, and the kind of term he's looking for, it's very hard for us to do right now given the flux of our franchise."

"In Mike's case, quite frankly, it's the state of the franchise, the uncertainty of what's going to happen in the future that has made him decide that he'd rather wait, to be 100 percent sure that the franchise is going to stay in Phoenix, that Dave Tippett is going to coach in Phoenix, that Sean Burke is going to be his goalie coach, the players," Maloney said. "So all those decisions go into it, and if it was as simple as working on a number and a dollar figure we probably would have banged something out last offseason. "

Old
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
I find it hard to believe Mike Smith doesn't understand he's a product of Tippet's system. I wonder if this is a back door way of saying Tippet is the one actually looking for a landing spot. When does his current contract end?

Old
03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I find it hard to believe Mike Smith doesn't understand he's a product of Tippet's system. I wonder if this is a back door way of saying Tippet is the one actually looking for a landing spot. When does his current contract end?

Tippett is in the final year of his contract, he does not want to be extended until he knows the outcome of the sale or relocation of the team! Said in another way: he is a free agent at the end of the year, my bet is that he lands in Colorado!

Last edited by Dado: 03-28-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: fixed quote bracket
Old
03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
At this point its all speculation and every bit of news can be spun any which number of ways.
Unfotunatey, this has been pretty much true of 99% of this adventure.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Born and raised French-Canadian and I've never heard the "faire rire les poissons" one.

And "la rondelle ne roule pour lui" is really "la puck ne roulait pas pour lui/eux autres/nous autres". We do use a lot of English words
Me neither...

Old
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Glacial

Anyone want to start a guessing game on what day the relocation is announced and which city wins out?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
rt
SinglePotStillWhisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Anyone want to start a guessing game on what day the relocation is announced and which city wins out?
You are four years late.

03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You are four years late.
Yep, this whole saga has been the ultimate game of 3 card Monte-with the catch not even the "dealer" can keep track of where the card is.....

Old
03-28-2013, 08:17 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Whoa there. George Gosbee's quite the heavy hitter out of Alberta. Oil & Gas, Investment Banking etc etc etc. I had no idea he was in the least bit interested in franchise ownership. Leblanc may have hit a home run if he's got this guy involved. Dont know what to make of that.
I wouldn't read anything into any names, no matter how substantial, getting in now. This team has sat on the market so long and there was a long stretch at which substantial subsidies were available an no one legit jumped in. Why would someone jump in now.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
JimAnchower

How much is Gosbee worth and does he personally have enough money to even buy the Coyotes? Does anyone have any information/source for it? I can't find much on Google. It seems he sold an investment firm he started, Tristone Capital, for about $100 million. How much of that of that figure he received is unknown. He was also on the Board of Governors of Chrysler until 2011. He has since started Altacorp Capital in 2010.

Here is his profile on Bloomberg.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...%20Carco%20LLC

Old
03-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
This just in...

"However, Bettman did not identify the investors, nor have any potential investors initiated conversations with Glendale officials regarding management or use of Jobing.com Arena.

I have been in contact with the NHL and they basically told me that they expect to have something to put on the table in the next week or so, but as of right now, Ive seen nothing and have heard nothing, Weiers told The Arizona Republic."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...d-coyotes.html

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
This just in...

"However, Bettman did not identify the investors, nor have any potential investors initiated conversations with Glendale officials regarding management or use of Jobing.com Arena.

I have been in contact with the NHL and they basically told me that they expect to have something to put on the table in the next week or so, but as of right now, Ive seen nothing and have heard nothing, Weiers told The Arizona Republic."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...d-coyotes.html
Hey... at least Bettman cut the time in half.....

Old
03-29-2013, 12:06 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks2010 View Post
Not sure exactly what is going on but I had on yesterday's meeting/workshop/executive session video stream while working on something else... As it got to the end something very unusual happened. Instead of going into executive session to talk about Tindall's dismissal, they stayed online and in public. They explained the reasoning being that it was because Tindall and his lawyer would normally attend the executive session to discuss Tindall's package but because of the city's apparent short notice, both Tindall and his lawyer could not make it. Glendale was unwilling to reschedule to a time that Tindall and his lawyer could show up (they wanted to get on with getting rid of Tindall and not extend this mess any longer). There was a feeling that Tindall was continuing to receive full pay and benefits while this process continues to drag on. Apparently, in response, Tindall requested that the discussion happen in open public rather than in exec session which is apparently his right to request... so that he could watch it streaming online from the comfort of his pool chair... so they did it in public... Full discussion about giving Tindall the option to resign and continue to receive full pay and benefits for six months (worth $186K) and glowing recommendations or if not terminate him and give him just what they are legally obligated to give him. oh ya... they also discussed allowing him to keep his cell phone and number. Weiers said he didn't understand what the big deal was because he just bought his wife a phone for 50 bucks. They also set a deadline of this Monday at noon for him to get back to them so that this doesn't drag any longer. Anyways... I just went back and I can't seem to find the video anywhere online now.
The situation is very simple. Tindall wants a payout that Glendale doesn't want to pay. The council would like to sweep this under the rug but they aren't going to get their way on this. Tindall wants it on the open record why the council is terminating his services prior to his annual review.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Vinc360

So he's talking weeks, not months? Is that what he's saying?

Old
03-29-2013, 12:11 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I wouldn't read anything into any names, no matter how substantial, getting in now. This team has sat on the market so long and there was a long stretch at which substantial subsidies were available an no one legit jumped in. Why would someone jump in now.
One of the scenarios being bounced around in my next of the woods is the NHL will sell the team, and if Glendale can't come up with a workable arrangement with them (Gosbee/IEH) the league will allow them to move the franchise.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:17 AM
XX
It's finally over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
One of the scenarios being bounced around in my next of the woods is the NHL will sell the team, and if Glendale can't come up with a workable arrangement with them (Gosbee/IEH) the league will allow them to move the franchise.
Your neck of the woods doesn't have a clue. The only possible destinations are worth considerably more than the asking price of the Coyotes. Gosbee and Leblanc have no connections to those markets. That's simply not how the league operates.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
The 'Hockey' Men

When G/I, a 'potential' owner-duo, arrives in Glendale, they convince the locals to fund a hockey team in providing their needed 'Arena Management Fees.' Devoted hockey fans, suspect they are a fraud, but overwhelm City Council meetings. Some councilmembers are excited about keeping the team but not at any cost. But, the NHL develops feelings for another city, and faces an 'easy' decision about skipping town sooner rather than later.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:26 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Your neck of the woods doesn't have a clue. The only possible destinations are worth considerably more than the asking price of the Coyotes. Gosbee and Leblanc have no connections to those markets. That's simply not how the league operates.
And how do you know they have no connections???? Or how the league operates??

Please enlighten me.....

Besides I stated it was one possible scenario.... there have been a plethora of them bantered around for going on four years now.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I find it hard to believe Mike Smith doesn't understand he's a product of Tippet's system. I wonder if this is a back door way of saying Tippet.. contract end...
At the end of this season.... are you suggesting players watch their pretty passes?
That players are completely self aware at 13 or 31? Some do, less than few are, Dado.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

Quote:
Move them where? When? Its a rather very long shot.

You'll say Seattle? Won't work.

I think its not realistic. Sure, I am not in the Avenue of the America's office.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:02 AM
OthmarAmmann
Omnishambles

RIM actually turned a profit in Q4

Maybe we'll see Jimmy B thrown into the mix

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle10478674/

S
A
R
C
A
S
M

Last edited by OthmarAmmann: 03-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Maybe we'll see Jimmy B thrown into the mix

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle10478674/
Balsillie is no longer at RIM.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I would not be surprised if the NHL proceeds to a "letter of agreement" for a sale, and then tells that group and the COG to try to work out a lease by X date. If that can't be accomplished, either the sale doesn't proceed or they sell and work out a relocation fee with the NHL.

It won't be the sale price, it will be the transfer fee that is determined by the destination. If the destination is Seattle or KC, etc., I doubt that the asking price will be much more than $170M (which is the price for a local sale). If it is QC, then the NHL would probably tack on a relocation fee, etc.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I would not be surprised if the NHL proceeds to a "letter of agreement" for a sale, and then tells that group and the COG to try to work out a lease by X date. If that can't be accomplished, either the sale doesn't proceed or they sell and work out a relocation fee with the NHL.

It won't be the sale price, it will be the transfer fee that is determined by the destination. If the destination is Seattle or KC, etc., I doubt that the asking price will be much more than $170M (which is the price for a local sale). If it is QC, then the NHL would probably tack on a relocation fee, etc.
It can't possibly be QC unless they sell to PKP, right? And if they do sell to PKP, no way is he keeping the team in Phoenix.

KC neither particularly wants nor needs the team.

Seattle seems like the only possibility in the aforementioned scenario. But how would that work? If this Gosbee guy actually has an interest in the team, why wouldn't he just work with Chris Hansen to get a team in the new Seattle building, rather than waste his time in Glendale?

Who's left - Houston? Why not lobby directly to get the relocate the Coyotes there? Portland? Would be blocked by Paul Allen unless he's actively involved in the bid... and if he is, why would he want to own a team in Glendale?

That's why the buy first and then negotiate a lease with CoG scenario makes no sense.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
That's why the buy first and then negotiate a lease with CoG scenario makes no sense.
Would a bank loan the group money not knowing where the team was going to be (and what the likelyhood of being paid back was)? Of course, if they are paying in cash, that isn't an issue. But then my question of how much money this group has in their hands right now comes into play.

Closed Thread