HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
I really don't understand why we are even discussing Edler from the Nucks. That team is not going to move him after signing him to that lovely contract. Not to many GM's move players they sign to friendly contract unless you are the Flyers.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I really don't understand why we are even discussing Edler from the Nucks. That team is not going to move him after signing him to that lovely contract. Not to many GM's move players they sign to friendly contract unless you are the Flyers.
Much the same reason that we speculate about moving Coburn, I assume.

He's been inconsistent and has not lived up to lofty expectations, and some fans believe that the organization, under pressure to produce, might entertain a swap to fill an area of need.

Will it happen, probably not. But we speculate about acquiring guys who are seemingly more untouchable than Edler all the time.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
Knuble was waived.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:35 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
As someone who has the opportunity to watch a lot of Vancouver games and who is as big an Edler fan as you could find, he is suffering the same issues that Coburn is. Edler is wildly inconsistent and, while you see all of the potential in the world, he just doesn't take the next step.

Some games Edler looks like he's ready to be a franchise defenseman; others you're wondering where it all went wrong. If you think you're frustrated with Coburn's cap hit and his inconsistent play, you don't want Alex Edler in orange and black.

03-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...os-trade-block

Quote:
Meszaros has been fifth on the depth chart, logging an average of 18:33 very average minutes. He has yet to record a plus game with an overall minus-6 rating, and it’s tough to gauge where he might fit in for next season.

However, if you’re one of those teams on the other side of the playoff fence, there are benefits to what Mez can bring. He has a very reasonable cap hit at $4 million, plus he’s under contract for next season. Under those terms, he would be a much more affordable and desirable option than Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester, who has a hefty $6.5 million number and has never played in the postseason.

Meszaros, on the other hand, would bring a ton of playoff experience: 46 career games, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Final (Senators ’07). He’s also capable of stepping up in all situations, and if healthy (raised eyebrows), Meszaros is good for 30-35 points next season.

NHL defensemen are like big-league starting pitchers and teams will overpay to get their hands on one. When you look across the league, a number of teams have taken significant hits to their blue lines. The Ottawa Senators took a major hit after losing Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson for the remainder of the season. The Senators are certainly familiar with Meszaros. However, if I were Holmgren, I wouldn’t even rule out the rival Rangers and Penguins, who will also be desperate to add defense. The price tag would just be a little steeper.

Start the bidding soon and by the time the April 3 trade deadline rolls around, Holmgren should be able to squeeze a first-round pick out of some team, and quite possibly a little bit more. And you don’t have to request Meszaros to waive a no-trade clause because he doesn’t have one.
If you can get a first and even a little more as Boruk says, you do it for Mez.

A team I would look to is the Blues though. They are looking for LDM to pair with Piety. He also wouldn't be a rental for a budget team there.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Curufinwe

I bet he doesn't take nearly as many unnecessary minor penalties as Coburn. He has been painful to watch out there this season.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Imagine getting 2 1sts with Briere and Mez.

3 1sts in this draft would be unreal. If they are less than 15th overall, maybe use both of them to get up to about 8th and get Nurse as well.

Jones and Nurse... awesome.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Knuble was waived.
PSYCHE!

Old
03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

A team I would look to is the Blues though. They are looking for LDM to pair with Piety. He also wouldn't be a rental for a budget team there.
I think Boruk's out-to-lunch on quite a bit of that.

By most accounts, Mezsaros would not be welcomed back in OTT for free after the way he left, and I can't imagine the Flyers trading with the Rangers or Penguins.

On the value, we acquired him for a 2nd a few years ago. He had one very good season, one mediocre season, and now this one. I can't see how his value has increased that much.

If the Flyers believe he will bounce back next year, then a 2nd isn't worth it. If they don't, then they should take whatever they can get. If anyone offers a 1st, I think they take it.

I don't think St. Louis is a great fit, though. They've got a ton of guys to re-sign, and I'm not sure they would view Mez's $4 million as worthwhile.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I would be all over trading Mez. I really thought that deal was going to be a good one, but his injuries really have hurt him (and the Flyers). Get what you can for him. A first would be great, but I'd do it for a second.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think Boruk's out-to-lunch on quite a bit of that.

By most accounts, Mezsaros would not be welcomed back in OTT for free after the way he left, and I can't imagine the Flyers trading with the Rangers or Penguins.

On the value, we acquired him for a 2nd a few years ago. He had one very good season, one mediocre season, and now this one. I can't see how his value has increased that much.

If the Flyers believe he will bounce back next year, then a 2nd isn't worth it. If they don't, then they should take whatever they can get.

I don't think St. Louis is a great fit, though. They've got a ton of guys to re-sign, and I'm not sure they would view Mez's $4 million as worthwhile.
Flyers did acquire him for a 2nd rounder, but it was right before free agency and in the off season. The deadline is a different ball game. The price for players is much higher. Also it seemed like Tampa was pretty happy to let Mez go, he wasn't living up to expectations down there. Deadline, I think we could squeeze a first out of a team that is desperate for defensive help that is in the thick of things.

Now I agree not trading to the Rangers/Pens at all. Carolina is a team that might take some interest as well.

Teams are always looking for puck moving defenders. One thing I do agree with Boruk on there is that he could be a much more affordable piece compared to JayBo.

One thing teams are always trying to improve is their defense at the deadline. If a player like Mez becomes available, I think we could get one. Wild is another team to look for, but cap complications could come from there.

Last edited by Prongo: 03-21-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I would be stunned if you got a 1st or 2nd for Mez.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Flyers did acquire him for a 2nd rounder, but it was right before free agency and in the off season. The deadline is a different ball game. The price for players is much higher. Also it seemed like Tampa was pretty happy to let Mez go, he wasn't living up to expectations down there. Deadline, I think we could squeeze a first out of a team that is desperate for defensive help that is in the thick of things.

Now I agree not trading to the Rangers/Pens at all. Carolina is a team that might take some interest as well.

Teams are always looking for puck moving defenders. One thing I do agree with Boruk on there is that he could be a much more affordable piece compared to JayBo.
I think the deadline premium thing can get blown out of proportion--particularly for non-rentals.

It just seems to me that Boruk's plan assumes other GMs haven't watched Mezsaros play much over the past two seasons. If he was really a strong PMD, we wouldn't be considering moving him, right?

Old
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

the Rangers dont have a first round pick this year. I dont think the Pens would be interested in him anyway. They do have some kids in the AHL that can play a bit.
Vancouver probably could use him. As could Detroit.

Old
SolidSnakeUS

Mez + 3rd for Carolina's 1st?
Briere to somewhere for a 1st? I would love to say Briere to Columbus for the Ranger's 1st.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I think the deadline premium thing can get blown out of proportion--particularly for non-rentals.

It just seems to me that Boruk's plan assumes other GMs haven't watched Mezsaros play much over the past two seasons. If he was really a strong PMD, we wouldn't be considering moving him, right?
I don't think he is a strong PMD, but a good depth defender. He can play 18-22 mins a night. I don't think deadline values get blown out of proportion that much either. The deadline is known for steep prices to pay for players. Always has been. We do see some steals, but a majority of the time, people are paying a little more than they probably want.

Like Gonefullholmgren said Detroit and Vancouver seem like two good matches as well.

I think if he is put on the market, we could see some reasonable interest.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the Rangers dont have a first round pick this year. I dont think the Pens would be interested in him anyway. They do have some kids in the AHL that can play a bit.
Vancouver probably could use him. As could Detroit.
Vancouver would seem like a tricky match because of the cap.

Detroit could work though.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Vancouver would seem like a tricky match because of the cap.

Detroit could work though.
right, forgot they have just a little more cap space then the Flyers do. Just enough for a AHL callup I think.
TB may be losing Hedman for a bit. Not sure how hes viewed down there still.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Imagine getting 2 1sts with Briere and Mez.

3 1sts in this draft would be unreal. If they are less than 15th overall, maybe use both of them to get up to about 8th and get Nurse as well.

Jones and Nurse... awesome.
Three picks in the top 20 of this draft would be awesome! This could turn out to be one of the best drafts in years. The talent in the 1st round alone is scary. Danny you gotta say yes!

Old
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I would be stunned if you got a 1st or 2nd for Mez.
Really? We gave two 2nds for Gauthier at the deadline once, I'd be surprised if Meszaros was worth less than a 2nd and 3rd in terms of picks for a competitive team. I know the situation isn't the same and the market changes over time but he's not that bad.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Codith

If we got 3 firsts, this is exactly what I would gun for

Top5 pick if we continue to suck
Could end up with

-Jones
-Drouin
-Mac
-Barkov

10-15
Maybe
-Zadorov
-Pulock

15+
Go for Fucale!

Old
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
Really? We gave two 2nds for Gauthier at the deadline once, I'd be surprised if Meszaros was worth less than a 2nd and 3rd in terms of picks for a competitive team. I know the situation isn't the same and the market changes over time but he's not that bad.
Agreed. Also, Mesz was playing very well before he got hurt.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
If we got 3 firsts, this is exactly what I would gun for

Top5 pick if we continue to suck
Could end up with

-Jones
-Drouin
-Mac
-Barkov

10-15
Maybe
-Zadorov
-Pulock

15+
Go for Fucale!
I would package the latest one with a prospect and maybe another pick(2014) at this years draft for Bernier.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Mez hasn't played well in two years and has had two major hockey injuries.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I would package the latest one with a prospect and maybe another pick(2014) at this years draft for Bernier.
I would rather have Voynov right now actually but I doubt he will be moved for a pick. Even with the play of Muzzin.

Closed Thread