HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 06:52 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I would take Gus EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. over that worthless POS Bruno Gervais. Gus hasnt played enough to be judged. what does he have 40 games under his belt? they havent given the kid a chance to show what he can do. 5 games here. send him to ADK. 7 games here. send him back to ADK and on and on it went. Sure he makes mistakes. He needs to play to learn from them. No. he makes mistakes and he gets demoted. Gervais plays like **** and they send him back out there.

You know who is awful? Bruno Gervais.
you know who sucks? Kurtis Foster.
Yet they are on this roster ahead of Gus. why? because they are vets. God forbid we play the young defenseman every now and then. Sure lets draft a defenseman. lets play him for 40 games and say hey He sucks.
Boggles my mind why this organization and its fanbase have ZERO ****ing patience with young defenseman. Ghost doesnt know what hes in for with this fanbase when he gets here.
Agreed 100%. There is absolutely no reason why Gus should be sitting in Adirondack, especially with the year the Flyers are having. He should be playing with the big club, soaking up as much experience as he can. Funny thing about Gus was that when he was here, he averaged 31 seconds less than Meszaros in ice time, 18 seconds less than Grossmann. So, obviously he was doing something right up here to be getting that kind of ice time.

He should be back up here playing. It's almost as if he's been made a scapegoat for everything that's gone wrong up here. Yes, a couple of bad plays here and there, but for the most part, he's been very good in his time up here. I'll be so happy once this season ends. It's time for a house cleaning from management through to coaching.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Agreed 100%. There is absolutely no reason why Gus should be sitting in Adirondack, especially with the year the Flyers are having. He should be playing with the big club, soaking up as much experience as he can. Funny thing about Gus was that when he was here, he averaged 31 seconds less than Meszaros in ice time, 18 seconds less than Grossmann. So, obviously he was doing something right up here to be getting that kind of ice time.

He should be back up here playing. It's almost as if he's been made a scapegoat for everything that's gone wrong up here. Yes, a couple of bad plays here and there, but for the most part, he's been very good in his time up here. I'll be so happy once this season ends. It's time for a house cleaning from management through to coaching.
Meh. I don't really see it being an issue either way (having him in Philly or ADK). I'd agree with you and GFH that I prefer Gus over Foster. But he is not much better, if at all, than Gervais. I haven't really been too concerned with Gervais' play overall this year. Like everyone, he has had bad games, but overall I think he has been fine for a bottom pair guy. Gus, on the other hand, hasn't looked good at all while he has been in the NHL this season. Maybe a flash or two of decent play, but nothing that makes me think he should be in the NHL. Playing him more in the NHL could be a good thing, but it also could really shake his confidence if he continues to play poorly. Let him play in the AHL and be one of the team's better defenders instead of one of the team's worst defenders as he has been this season when in the NHL.

I wouldn't have a problem with him playing in the NHL the rest of the year, but I really don't think this is some big issue. If he plays in ADK great, hope he gets valuable minutes and improves and that being sent down doesn't hurt his development. If they call him up, great, hope he gains NHL experience that helps him become a better player and hope that he doesn't continue to play poorly and have that shake his confidence and hurt his development. Pros and cons to both approaches. If there is an injury and the choice is between plugging Foster in and going with Gus, I'd say call up Gus. If it is between Gervais and Gus, I'd stick with Gervais.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Gus seems to be the product of Lavy desperation. The one thing I hate about Laviolette is that rookies get benched for poor play, like Gus, Couturier and Bobrovsky when he was here, but vets get to float around without repercussions, like Briere. That being said, Gus is a third pair defenseman so its not like he would be making a huge difference now or in the future. I would dump Meszaros at the deadline and install Gus for the rest of the year.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:27 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Carolina would love to acquire Read and Coburn. But for what? I'd suppose that Jamie McBain is interesting piece for Flyers. What else? Read, after all, is UFA, if i remember correct. McBain is young, expierenced, RFA in the end of the season. Good skater, soft style but he's not bad player.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Carolina would love to acquire Read and Coburn. But for what? I'd suppose that Jamie McBain is interesting piece for Flyers. What else? Read, after all, is UFA, if i remember correct. McBain is young, expierenced, RFA in the end of the season. Good skater, soft style but he's not bad player.
McBain for Read wouldn't be off that much value wise but I think Read might get a little more at the deadline since it is sellers market and his cap hit fits perfectly on every team with the cap going down. Coburn is going nowhere without a massive overpayment or a better defensemen coming back.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I agree. Gus should be getting a ton of ice time now. The team should finally try to "realize" the guy.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ghost and Gus aren't enough for you?
I've not been impressed with Gustafsson this year, on the whole. Of course there are about 4 players on the team who are meeting expectations, so I guess it doesn't make sense to single him out.

Quote:
Read is UFA after next year, not this year. I'm not sure I see value in a McBain-Read swap at this point.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
What about Ryan Murphy and a first.

That is a huge win for carolina imo. But really at this point the flyers need someone on the back end who can provide some offense like murphy.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I would take Gus EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. over that worthless POS Bruno Gervais. Gus hasnt played enough to be judged. what does he have 40 games under his belt? they havent given the kid a chance to show what he can do. 5 games here. send him to ADK. 7 games here. send him back to ADK and on and on it went. Sure he makes mistakes. He needs to play to learn from them. No. he makes mistakes and he gets demoted. Gervais plays like **** and they send him back out there.

You know who is awful? Bruno Gervais.
you know who sucks? Kurtis Foster.
Yet they are on this roster ahead of Gus. why? because they are vets. God forbid we play the young defenseman every now and then. Sure lets draft a defenseman. lets play him for 40 games and say hey He sucks.
Boggles my mind why this organization and its fanbase have ZERO ****ing patience with young defenseman. Ghost doesnt know what hes in for with this fanbase when he gets here.
I agree, but that's not my point. He's a better option than Gervais at this juncture, but he hasn't shown me anything that leads me to believe that he can be a regular nhler at this point.

I honestly don't see anything more than Bruno Gervais 2.0 to be totally serious.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

That is a huge win for carolina imo. But really at this point the flyers need someone on the back end who can provide some offense like murphy.
I'd do that.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh, Gustafsson looked good for about 7 of the games he played in. The last 4 he did not, and it is a shame people are focusing on those games instead. Actually it was RIGHT after his injury that he started playing bad. Funny that some people can switch sides so fast. Didnt hear one person complain about Gustafsson the first 7 games but after he gets injuried and plays bad he sucks badly. Oh well, I guess the "what have you done for me lately" is in effect again on this board.

Im not going to post all the statistics because people really don't care about that here too much, but everything shows Gustafsson has been better than Gervias and Foster in almost every single categlory. (actually fun fact, his Relative Corsi is 3rd best on the team). Gustafsson has faced harder competition with worse teammates than Gervias has.

The difference between the two is that one is young while the other is a "vet". Has happened on other teams as well, such as Colorado. Seems that some coaches/GMs have more tolerance for veterans to put up mistakes than rookies.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I agree, but that's not my point. He's a better option than Gervais at this juncture, but he hasn't shown me anything that leads me to believe that he can be a regular nhler at this point.

I honestly don't see anything more than Bruno Gervais 2.0 to be totally serious.
say we draft a defenseman. after 40 games he doesnt look as good as Lilja or Gervais or whatever junk we have on the backend at the 6. Does that mean he wont be anything more then Bruno Gervais?
I am not saying Gus is a superstar by any means but I don't think hes been given a fair chance or should be judged on what he is based on such a small sample of games played with most of those games being broken up in demotions, scratches ect.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, Gustafsson looked good for about 7 of the games he played in. The last 4 he did not, and it is a shame people are focusing on those games instead. Actually it was RIGHT after his injury that he started playing bad. Funny that some people can switch sides so fast. Didnt hear one person complain about Gustafsson the first 7 games but after he gets injuried and plays bad he sucks badly. Oh well, I guess the "what have you done for me lately" is in effect again on this board.

Im not going to post all the statistics because people really don't care about that here too much, but everything shows Gustafsson has been better than Gervias and Foster in almost every single categlory. (actually fun fact, his Relative Corsi is 3rd best on the team). Gustafsson has faced harder competition with worse teammates than Gervias has.

The difference between the two is that one is young while the other is a "vet". Has happened on other teams as well, such as Colorado. Seems that some coaches/GMs have more tolerance for veterans to put up mistakes than rookies.
I want to know why we're playing Gervais in a developmental year...

If we really want Gus to get solid at the NHL level we need to give him consistent play. Consistent play against adverse competition is something that will only help him.

Not playing right now is missing out on an opportunity to help him develop.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:

If we really want Gus to get solid at the NHL level we need to give him consistent play. Consistent play against adverse competition is something that will only help him.

Logic, something that is NOT ALLOWED in Philadelphia.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. I don't really see it being an issue either way (having him in Philly or ADK). I'd agree with you and GFH that I prefer Gus over Foster. But he is not much better, if at all, than Gervais. I haven't really been too concerned with Gervais' play overall this year. Like everyone, he has had bad games, but overall I think he has been fine for a bottom pair guy. Gus, on the other hand, hasn't looked good at all while he has been in the NHL this season. Maybe a flash or two of decent play, but nothing that makes me think he should be in the NHL. Playing him more in the NHL could be a good thing, but it also could really shake his confidence if he continues to play poorly. Let him play in the AHL and be one of the team's better defenders instead of one of the team's worst defenders as he has been this season when in the NHL.

I wouldn't have a problem with him playing in the NHL the rest of the year, but I really don't think this is some big issue. If he plays in ADK great, hope he gets valuable minutes and improves and that being sent down doesn't hurt his development. If they call him up, great, hope he gains NHL experience that helps him become a better player and hope that he doesn't continue to play poorly and have that shake his confidence and hurt his development. Pros and cons to both approaches. If there is an injury and the choice is between plugging Foster in and going with Gus, I'd say call up Gus. If it is between Gervais and Gus, I'd stick with Gervais.
Well we all know what Gervais is. He is what he is. a lousy bottom pairing fringe guy. hes a -12. and hes deserved that -12. its not bad luck or whatever you want to call it. He freakin sucks. Do we know what Gus is yet? too early to find out what he is as a NHL defenseman.
Again I will say I dont think Gus is a superstar or anything. But I do think he should be playing with the big club. He had his ups and downs like any young player. He is an upgrade over Gervais.

Last edited by GoneFullHolmgren: 03-22-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added any to last sentance
Old
03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

Probably because those who make the decisions haven't come to 100% realization that this season is, in fact a "developmental year" yet.

I'm almost scared to trade a guy like Briere and have a guy like McGinn come in and take his minutes. The Flyers might actually win games and screw up good draft positioning. Like an "if it's broke don't fix it yet" approach.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
galvo

I don't even know how to ice skate and I'm better than Bruno Gervais.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Well we all know what Gervais is. He is what he is. a lousy bottom pairing fringe guy. hes a -12. and hes deserved that -12. its not bad luck or whatever you want to call it. He freakin sucks. Do we know what Gus is yet? too early to find out what he is as a NHL defenseman.
Again I will say I dont think Gus is a superstar or anything. But I do think he should be playing with the big club. He had his ups and downs like any young player. He is an upgrade over Gervais.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. I think you are short-changing Gervais though. He is not good by any means. He is what he is: a bottom pair defenseman. He is playing just like that: a bottom pair defenseman. Gus very well may be as good or better than him, but if he can't handle the NHL right, which is very much in debate at this point, I have no issue with him getting better minutes and honing his skills in the AHL. It may not be the best thing for him. That is a possibility. But I think it is the same possibility that putting him in the NHL and watching him struggle also may not be the best thing for him. Six of one, half dozen of the other at this point.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
I'm sure the Flyers would be very interested in Justin Faulk as well. If you want both Coburn and Read, then you need to come up with something more than Jamie "hit him with your purse" McBain.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this. I think you are short-changing Gervais though. He is not good by any means. He is what he is: a bottom pair defenseman. He is playing just like that: a bottom pair defenseman. Gus very well may be as good or better than him, but if he can't handle the NHL right, which is very much in debate at this point, I have no issue with him getting better minutes and honing his skills in the AHL. It may not be the best thing for him. That is a possibility. But I think it is the same possibility that putting him in the NHL and watching him struggle also may not be the best thing for him. Six of one, half dozen of the other at this point.
well if you want to "tank" Gervais is your guy to play every night.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

If that package gets us McBain, Murphy and a 1st I would do it. That's a lot of mobility on the back end and another first in a deep draft. But at the moment can carolina afford to give up their first? They traded the 8th overall last year to get staal. They are currently the 8th seed. Thats a risky move, that pick could as easily be a top 10 pick in the draft or the 24th

Old
03-22-2013, 01:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
That's debatable. Gervais is by no means a superstar, but his play vs. Gus's play is not going to change the outcome of too many games. I'd say they are on the same level. It's easy to say Gervais sucks, but he's a bottom pair guy. Every bottom pair guy sucks. That is why they are bottom pair guys. If Gus was playing in the spot, he would suck too (you know, like he has during his time up this season). The difference between the two is de minimus. Like I said before, I understand your desire to have Gus in the lineup, and I don't disagree. I think what you are saying (aside from your critique of Gervais) is accurate. I also think what I am saying is accurate. Both scenarios have their potential pros and potential cons. I would be 100% fine if Gus started the rest of the games for the Flyers. I would also be 100% if he stayed in the AHL.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:43 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
Minutes are minutes for young defenseman and Gus will get more in the AHL. With the Flyers, he might start to lose confidence like Couturier has. That is not what you want to happen.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
If that package gets us McBain, Murphy and a 1st I would do it. That's a lot of mobility on the back end and another first in a deep draft. But at the moment can carolina afford to give up their first? They traded the 8th overall last year to get staal. They are currently the 8th seed. Thats a risky move, that pick could as easily be a top 10 pick in the draft or the 24th
Good luck getting McBain Murphy and a 1st for that. Only in fantasy land.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Not sure what more the AHL can do for Gus. It's the 4th best league in the world and he's played 105 games there over 3 seasons. He's 24 and believe it or not, has played 44 NHL games and, minus some mistakes here and there that we've killed him about, has been decent on the backend and show flashes, especially with his ability to get the puck down ice once he actually has possession of it.

The Flyers spread their minutes around to their defensemen to begin with. It's not like he'll be logging 4-6 minutes. He'll log around 16-18.

Closed Thread