HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's debatable. Gervais is by no means a superstar, but his play vs. Gus's play is not going to change the outcome of too many games. I'd say they are on the same level. It's easy to say Gervais sucks, but he's a bottom pair guy. Every bottom pair guy sucks. That is why they are bottom pair guys. If Gus was playing in the spot, he would suck too (you know, like he has during his time up this season). The difference between the two is de minimus. Like I said before, I understand your desire to have Gus in the lineup, and I don't disagree. I think what you are saying (aside from your critique of Gervais) is accurate. I also think what I am saying is accurate. Both scenarios have their potential pros and potential cons. I would be 100% fine if Gus started the rest of the games for the Flyers. I would also be 100% if he stayed in the AHL.
We really need to see whether Blake Kessel is NHL material, and Lauridsen!

#Don'tStopTheTank

Old
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Good luck getting McBain Murphy and a 1st for that. Only in fantasy land.
It's pretty well liked by both sides that Read and McBain are worth about the same. You don't think Coburn can get Murphy and a 1st?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I Am Number 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
It's pretty well liked by both sides that Read and McBain are worth about the same. You don't think Coburn can get Murphy and a 1st?
Could always throw a 2nd in there for the pick upgrade?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Once it's absolutely clear the team is out of the playoffs (even though they already are), young players should get starts. There's no excuse to cart Gervais out there.

03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Once it's absolutely clear the team is out of the playoffs (even though they already are), young players should get starts. There's no excuse to cart Gervais out there.
You think they'd waive him? Try to trade him? Or just sit him in the pressbox?

03-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
When I break it down, I wouldn't trade Read for McBain, and I wouldn't trade Coburn for Murhpy. It would take a pretty good 1st to overcome those feelings, and the realistic worst case for CAR is probably 9th in the East and around 12-14 overall at the draft.

Dunno. Not that impressed with McBain, really, and it seems to me that one of the reasons to target a guy like Murphy is to pair him with Coburn.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I would love having a player named McBain on the Flyers.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Flyer Mike

I was thinking about this today. What if the Flyers take a run at getting Kipper from Calgary? Rumor is he is available. If Bryz gets bought out this summer Kipper would be a good replacement imo. I know he is not the ideal replacement but he could help out until they find a good young goalie.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Can't link but we have two scouts at the flames and Columbus game. We have been noted on having interest in jaybo but the flyers always like johansen. The were after him in the carter trade but howson wouldn't let him go. Maybe we are targeting him because he makes sense about the present and future comment homer made. Also he isn't one of their gm's guys so he might be willing to let him go in a deal. For what I have no clue. And you know we love our centers

Old
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Can't link but we have two scouts at the flames and Columbus game. We have been noted on having interest in jaybo but the flyers always like johansen. The were after him in the carter trade but howson wouldn't let him go. Maybe we are targeting him because he makes sense about the present and future comment homer made. Also he isn't one of their gm's guys so he might be willing to let him go in a deal. For what I have no clue. And you know we love our centers
If they trade for another center without addressing the need on defense, I will have officially lost all hope in Paul Holmgren.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Flyer Mike

Maybe they are looking at Jack Johnson. I don't know if Columbus would trade him but I could see the Flyers looking at him.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

We all know that wont happen. Lavy will give Briere near 20 minutes, and Coturier will get benched half the game

Old
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

If we are targeting a defender that can't defend and gives us a **** ton of offense go after yandle instead of jack Johnson. Would be a better fit IMO

Old
03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
FlyingPhilly

^ Yandle would instantly become the whipping boy for the d-men here like Carle was. Yandle and Carle are essentially the same type of player except Yandle actually has a shot. That is what I think at least. I don't see Yandle as a #1 d-man in any shape or form.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Yandle is years ahead of Carle offensively. Carle couldn't come close to his production offensively. Yes he would be a new whipping boy on defense but his shot and mobility on defense would be much welcomed on our blue line. I think he would some what get a pass because of his offensive ability. Guy out up 60 points as a defender in a almost strictly defensive system. If the price isn't so steep I would want him over Johnson

Old
03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Curufinwe

Carle's noodle wrists affect more than just his shooting power.

Yandle is not a #1, but I think he would do well here.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:27 PM
FlyingPhilly

Gross. I want neither Yandle or Jack Johnson. The cost to get them wouldn't be worth it for what they provide.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:30 PM
flyershockey

Yeah, I think they have enough here to insulate any defensive deficiencies that Yandle might have.

This defensive unit would be pretty damn good:

Yandle/Coburn
Timonen/Schenn
Grossman/Gustafsson

edit: Still though, the cost to get him would be more than I think the Flyers would want to part with.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Curufinwe

Are Phoenix taking Mezaros as part of the Yandle trade in your example?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Are Phoenix taking Mezaros as part of the Yandle trade in your example?
I should have been more specific. I really don't want Mez on the roster past this year. If he goes as part of the deal, then fine. It's become pretty clear that injuries have really left Mezaros as a different player from the guy that he was two years ago.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah, I think they have enough here to insulate any defensive deficiencies that Yandle might have.

This defensive unit would be pretty damn good:

Yandle/Coburn
Timonen/Schenn
Grossman/Gustafsson

edit: Still though, the cost to get him would be more than I think the Flyers would want to part with.
That's a very solid 6.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

I know we don't want to part with read, but maybe we can make a deal with phoniex involving read and our 2nd rounder+. I mean if they are hell bent on getting a first just say no, but that 2nd rounder would practically be a 1st almost. Right now it would be what 33rd overall. If they would take that package we should try it. Wouldn't hurt in trying.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
I know we don't want to part with read, but maybe we can make a deal with phoniex involving read and our 2nd rounder+. I mean if they are hell bent on getting a first just say no, but that 2nd rounder would practically be a 1st almost. Right now it would be what 33rd overall. If they would take that package we should try it. Wouldn't hurt in trying.
I think Read + 2nd could get you a guy like Gormley if Phoenix was in contention, but since they're not, I doubt they would give up a piece like Gormley. It's not enough to get you Yandle either, and it's too much for a guy like Runblad.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

I'm not paying read +2nd rounder for gormley. We over rate prospects on these boards so much

Also we could add more to that package. It didn't have to stop there. But I will admit we don't have much to entice them after that. Mez contract hurts us the most with budget teams because next year he is owed 5.5 million. If his salary was his cap hit I think he would be a much easier sale to a budget team.

Yandle would look good with his offense here though. I do agree his defensive lapses would be called out big time, but we most likely are looking at a yandle or jaybo type player this off season. Unless of course homer pulls a homer and surprises the hell out of us

Old
03-22-2013, 10:54 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
I'm not paying read +2nd rounder for gormley. We over rate prospects on these boards so much

Also we could add more to that package. It didn't have to stop there. But I will admit we don't have much to entice them after that. Mez contract hurts us the most with budget teams because next year he is owed 5.5 million. If his salary was his cap hit I think he would be a much easier sale to a budget team.

Yandle would look good with his offense here though. I do agree his defensive lapses would be called out big time, but we most likely are looking at a yandle or jaybo type player this off season. Unless of course homer pulls a homer and surprises the hell out of us
I'm a huge Read supporter, and in an ideal world, I'd love to see him re-signed and kept in Philly for a long time, but he's easily our most expendable piece to acquire some defensive help. Gormley is a very good player that looks to be in the offensive defenseman mold. I only really suggested him because he would come at a much cheaper price than Yandle, who would likely cost one of Couturier/Schenn.

Closed Thread