HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 500
I don't think Briere is going to waive his no trade.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
What about something like Briere for Montador?

Montador is an NHL dman who is now healthy but because of Rozsival/Brookbank signings is buried by depth here in Chicago

Hawks can use Briere for playoff run and buy him out in offseason (Likely will buy out Montador anyway)

Flyers get some cap room next year and vet NHL defender (2 years left on his deal) while Hawks pickup a vet C to slot into #2 role in between Sharp/Hossa in playoffs

To :
C Daniel Briere (6.5M cap hit for 2 yrs)

To :
D Steve Montador (2.75M cap hit for 2 yrs)

Old
03-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Montador is an NHL dman who is now healthy but because of Rozsival/Brookbank signings is buried by depth here in Chicago

Hawks can use Briere for playoff run and buy him out in offseason (Likely will buy out Montador anyway)

Flyers get some cap room next year and vet NHL defender (2 years left on his deal) while Hawks pickup a vet C to slot into #2 role in between Sharp/Hossa in playoffs

To :

To :
There isn't much use for more vet defenders. We are already chock full of those. A draft pick would be more useful.

Or Kane , even though the fanbase would slaughter him.

03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
I don't think Briere is going to waive his no trade.
Part of it is because of the potential to be amnestied in the offseason. If he waives now and is traded, he probably plays out the rest of his contract with his new team at a significantly lower price than his cap hit. If he holds out and is amnestied, he'll probably make more money on another contract, and he'll likely have a good list of teams to choose from.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
How about Olesz + D Dylan Olsen (2009 1st round pick) for Briere

Olesz only 1 yr left on his deal and likely buyout plan for Hawks this offseason

Old
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
How about Olesz + prospect (Beach/Olsen of interst) for Briere

Olesz only 1 yr left on his deal and likely buyout plan for Hawks this offseason
Briere can easily get more than that from someone else though. There's no incentive to bring in a guy that's likely to be amnestied.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
How about Olesz + D Dylan Olsen (2009 1st round pick) for Briere

That makes more sense; they'd basically be getting a cheaper buyout with Olesz and a defensive prospect.

That's all I'll say about it though; I haven't seen a second of Olsen playing and know nothing about him, so I can't really comment on that part of the trade. If he's a bust or something, it makes no sense for the Flyers to take him. Once more, stocking up on draft picks to restock...everything, is probably the wisest move right now, if they can't get a decent roster player for Briere...and there's no reason to suspect they can do that.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:37 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It surprises me that some people don't think we could get more than a first for Briere. Kris Versteeg got a first and a third. Kaberle got even more than that I believe. Briere's a proven playoff dynamo and if he waives his NMC the Flyers should get a pretty penny for him.
Yeah, from us, and it was only a rental. That was a horrible trade by Holmgren. I hope he gets the chance to redeem himself with Briere.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Ryker

Quote:

To :

To :
The only thing I like about this post are the cute icons

Old
03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That makes more sense; they'd basically be getting a cheaper buyout with Olesz and a defensive prospect.

That's all I'll say about it though; I haven't seen a second of Olsen playing and know nothing about him, so I can't really comment on that part of the trade. If he's a bust or something, it makes no sense for the Flyers to take him. Once more, stocking up on draft picks to restock...everything, is probably the wisest move right now, if they can't get a decent roster player for Briere...and there's no reason to suspect they can do that.
I think Olsen is the guy that played his first NHL game against us and got injured in a fight?

Old
03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

With Homer scouting the Wild/Red Wings I think we make better trading partners with the Red Wings. The Red Wings are looking for D help and have been playing pretty well as of late. 5-3-2 in the last ten and are sitting in 6th place in the West currently. They are a team I could see being extremely interested in Mez. He would help out with his playoff experience on the back end with their younger d man they have out there. Now I am not so sure what price Detroit would be willing to pay for him, especially since they traded their first last year. Maybe we could see a deal like a 2013 2nd rounder+ a prospect(Almqvist).

Also we might be speculating a whole lot. Homer might just be catching a hockey game while he waits for the games later on tonight. Ya never know, but it has been pretty quiet with(12?) days left until the deadline.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Also we might be speculating a whole lot. Homer might just be catching a hockey game while he waits for the games later on tonight. Ya never know, but it has been pretty quiet with(12?) days left until the deadline.
If I'm remembering correctly, Homer likes to buy fairly early instead of waiting for the deadline. We've never had to see him sell players before, so perhaps he's going to hold out a bit to try and drive up value.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:52 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 112
Quote:

To :

To :
That's a brutal trade for the Flyers. Great, another veteran 6/7 defenseman...

Old
03-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
If I'm remembering correctly, Homer likes to buy fairly early instead of waiting for the deadline. We've never had to see him sell players before, so perhaps he's going to hold out a bit to try and drive up value.
That just might be the case. I also know some GM's like to buy early like Homer so the players they acquire can get a little more time getting acclimated with their systems and new surroundings(Boston I know for sure). I am not sure if Fletcher and Holland have the same philosophy though.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:56 PM
YuioIklo

Sellers usually wait until the deadline unless it's an overpayment.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Yeah, from us, and it was only a rental. That was a horrible trade by Holmgren. I hope he gets the chance to redeem himself with Briere.
Overreaction. It was not a bad trade. Versteeg was exactly what the team needed at the time, he just didn't pan out. Not to mention he was signed through the following year so he was not exactly a rental. He was traded for a second a third.

This is what people refuse to acknowledge on HFBoards. You can't get something for nothing. If you think you are one piece away from a Cup, and you have a chance to get a guy that can be that final piece, you make the trade, even if it is an overpayment. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but the Flyers trading a first and third for a 24 year old who was under contract through the season for a guy having a pretty decent season and filling a role that the team needed to be filled was not a bad idea. The trade didn't pan out. But that doesn't mean it was a bad trade.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Richards18Forever

Too bad Briere to Nashville isn't a possibility due to weber offer sheet and Briere prolly not wanting to go there. They are bottom of the west but only like three points out. Trade him there for their first and hope that it doesn't help them at all. It be nice to get a dman from them but after losing Suter they are prolly not interested in that either.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:46 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:

To :

To :

Plus your first round pick.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Overreaction. It was not a bad trade. Versteeg was exactly what the team needed at the time, he just didn't pan out. Not to mention he was signed through the following year so he was not exactly a rental. He was traded for a second a third.

This is what people refuse to acknowledge on HFBoards. You can't get something for nothing. If you think you are one piece away from a Cup, and you have a chance to get a guy that can be that final piece, you make the trade, even if it is an overpayment. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but the Flyers trading a first and third for a 24 year old who was under contract through the season for a guy having a pretty decent season and filling a role that the team needed to be filled was not a bad idea. The trade didn't pan out. But that doesn't mean it was a bad trade.

I didn't think it was a bad trade to obtain him. I just think they should have had some patience and kept him for longer. I can't remember all of the circumstance as to why he was traded - I don't remember if it was to clear up salary cap space - but to turn around and trade him for a 2nd seemed like such a waste. I think Holmgren's main problem is lack of patience.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
With Homer scouting the Wild/Red Wings I think we make better trading partners with the Red Wings. The Red Wings are looking for D help and have been playing pretty well as of late. 5-3-2 in the last ten and are sitting in 6th place in the West currently. They are a team I could see being extremely interested in Mez. He would help out with his playoff experience on the back end with their younger d man they have out there. Now I am not so sure what price Detroit would be willing to pay for him, especially since they traded their first last year. Maybe we could see a deal like a 2013 2nd rounder+ a prospect(Almqvist).

I'm just wondering, if we trade Mez, who will we replace him with? His salary is somewhat reasonable. I'd like to get rid of him, but who do we fill in his spot?

Old
03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I didn't think it was a bad trade to obtain him. I just think they should have had some patience and kept him for longer. I can't remember all of the circumstance as to why he was traded - I don't remember if it was to clear up salary cap space - but to turn around and trade him for a 2nd seemed like such a waste. I think Holmgren's main problem is lack of patience.
I have no problem trading him. He got a second and a third. They whiffed on the first for a shot at the Cup. He didn't fit in here and they got a decent return for him. They basically chose Jagr over him. Nbd.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Who said Holmgren was scouting the Red Wing? They played in Anahiem on Friday and will play there again tomorrow night. Do you mean San Jose which played the Wild today?

Old
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have no problem trading him. He got a second and a third. They whiffed on the first for a shot at the Cup. He didn't fit in here and they got a decent return for him. They basically chose Jagr over him. Nbd.
It was pretty dumb overall, especially considering he was playing through a major injury and then he had a great season the following year. There was no reason to ship him out for less than they gave for him after such a brief stint. They bought high and sold low.

The original trade was fine and I liked it, but the way he was sent out wasn't smart.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
It was pretty dumb overall, especially considering he was playing through a major injury and then he had a great season the following year. There was no reason to ship him out for less than they gave for him after such a brief stint. They bought high and sold low.

The original trade was fine and I liked it, but the way he was sent out wasn't smart.
I think what bugged me about it was it was such a quick turn around. He wasn't really given a real shot with the team. I wouldn't have minded it as much if we gave him a full year and then dumped him for a 2nd. But to give up a first and then just a few months later flip him for a 2nd is really bad business.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

I wouldn't expect Holmgren to make any moves until April 3rd. There are five games between now and then, and if the team comes out hot and wins four of them, I could very easily see Holmgren being a buyer at the deadline (Bouwmeester).

Closed Thread