HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Capitals have been the biggest disappointment.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherVaughn30 View Post
Ted Leonsis, the owner, is not interested in winning a Stanley Cup. He is only interested in making profits and maintaining his self image. Dick Patrick was a carry over from owner Abe Pollin's days. Patrick comes into the picture because he is the one that Ted entrust's and he is the one that has kept McPhee employed for 15 years!
That's not fair to Leonsis cuz I think he is very interested in winning. He seems to be a huge egomaniac I remember an interview with him a few years ago he was talking about how he was gonna apply all the super smarts he used in business to make his mark on the Washington sports scene and bring a new way of thinking to sports in general, etc. He even wrote a book about it! Whenever the cut to him when the Caps are getting thumped he looks like he is about to cry.

Personally I just think they made a mistake trying to turn the team into some sort defensive system after very close playoff losses especially the 2010 loss to Montreal, the players lost their mojo. Should have just gone out to trade for a really solid goalie instead.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
skoods

vCash: 500
All I know is that this season has been just brutal for a lot of fans of disappointing teams. Just glad it is a shortened one and we don't have to sit through 82 games of this garbage.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Foy

2 years ago, the NJ Devils installed the same system the Caps installed, and it took the Devils the vast majority of the season to figure it out. From about MLK Day on, they were lights out, and in year 2 they went to the finals. Now the Caps are installing the same system, and did so without a training camp and without a preseason. It took several weeks for them to figure it out, but they seem to be playing as good as anyone the last couple of weeks.

Now they've done this while losing Alexander Semin, Brooks Laich hasn't played a single game yet, and They have 5 defensemen injured entering tomorrow's game (Poti, Erskine, Green, Orlov, Kundratek). This season may not work out, but I am confident in the future.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
wickedwitch

Not winnin' for MacKinnon. The Caps statistically choose which years to suck.

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I shudder to think of what's going to happen to the Devils once Fatty Brodeur retires. Have we seen the new Devils with Hedberg between the pipes? Who do you have in your system to step in?
One of the worst statements to ever come from a fan base, let alone a joke of a player who sells purses. Kind of sad to have an entire fan base love Sean freaking Avery, guess having no success does that to fans. That statement is so fictitious and so overused, now you have random fans from randoms teams saying it. I absolutely hate it every time I hear it or read it.

For the Capitals, I really do not think anyone expected anything special from them this year.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Halpysback

Maybe biggest disappointment on paper but certainly not a surprise. Anyone who actually watched Semin play without being automatically prejudiced about his playstyle could see it coming from a mile away. The fact that the defense is horribly constructed, the goalies are young and inexperienced, the forwards were put together without one thought given to how their play styles fit each other and them missing their 4th best winger certainly doesn't help.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Based on expectations alone, I'd say New York and St. Louis and bigger disappointments. I had assumed that the Caps would be fighting for the last playoff spot, so they're doing a little worse than I had anticipated, but they're far from the biggest disappointment.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Got off to a terrible start, but still are 9-6 in their last 15 games. The huge difference between them and some teams above them is they haven't racked up any loser points. They have as many ROW as NYR and NJD, and more than Ottawa and NYI but those teams also have greatly benefited from the loser/extra points which the Caps have not.

They've also had pretty bad injury concerns.

#1Dman (Green) - missed about half the season

#1LW (Laich) - missed the whole season

#2LW/C/3C (Johansson) - missed 20 games

#2LD (Orlov) - missed the whole season

#3LD (Erskine) - has missed the last 5 games

#3LD at the moment (Poti) - Injured again

#1/2RD at the moment (Kundratek) - hurt last night and it looked pretty bad.

So that's 5 hurt Defensemen, and 2 top 6 forwards that are both 50 pointish guys out of the lineup (the forwards being out pretty much the whole season so far).

They definitely haven't played great, but not racking up loser points like most of the league really hurts them, and any team with those types of injuries would be struggling.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Not winnin' for MacKinnon. The Caps statistically choose which years to suck.
I wouldn't be suprised to see them tank it like they did for OV.

Anyone know what Mike Yeats is up to?

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Victory5

Flyers and Rangers say hi

Havent watch too many rangers games, but the Flyers have been painful to watch this year

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Giroux was never that good to begin with.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Flyers and Rangers say hi

Havent watch too many rangers games, but the Flyers have been painful to watch this year
We are just as sad as you guys are.

03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

OP is off base. Caps came into the season with their 3rd coach in 2 seasons, injuries to Laich, MoJo, Backstrom, Chimera, and Orlov and have since lost Green and Erksine, no veteran goaltender, and a brand new system with no training camp.

All knowledgeable Caps fans said that we'd probably be pretty bad or tread water for the 1st 20 games and the last 28 would define the season. Their 2-8-1 start most likely doomed them as they'll have to play about .750 hockey the rest of the season to make the play-offs.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:10 AM
TOML

Biggest disappointments of this season:

East: Buffalo, Tampa, Washington, Philly, Myers, Lindback, Johansson, Hartnell

West: Colorado, Edmonton, Dallas, Detroit, Landeskog, RNH, Ray Whitney, Samuelsson

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I don't know, Florida is a pretty damn big disappointment as well; after they finally gave their fans something to cheer about last spring, I'm sure they were hoping of more of the same.
There injury list has been worst than Ottawa's, also their goaltending hasn't been the same since last season when any of them have been in net.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Biggest disappointments of this season:

East: Buffalo, Tampa, Washington, Philly, Myers, Lindback, Johansson, Hartnell

West: Colorado, Edmonton, Dallas, Detroit, Landeskog, RNH, Ray Whitney, Samuelsson
A little harsh on Hartnell. He's missed 16 games.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Here I thought that people were proud of the prospects for their favourite team, often taking the first chance they get to crow about them. I also figured that a Devils fan would know more about how his team's prospects look than someone who hasn't watched them play. I really don't care how the Devils are or their prospects are, really. Considering that Beodeur is to NJ as Miller is to Buffalo, I figured that you guys would be worried about when he retired.
no one is "worried"......it is what it is.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Luigi Lemieux

I think a lot of people saw the Rangers decline coming. They had one elite season after years of mediocrity. I think they needed to have another excellent season to prove they were an elite team, but they seem to be regressing to their pre-2012 selves.

The caps have been spiraling downward as a franchise for a few years now. They're no surprise...they need to purge management before they get anywhere.

The flyers are a bit of a surprise, but i think it shows Schenn and Couturier are nowhere near as good as they were being hyped to be after last season. Not to mention Matt Carle is sorely missed on their blueline.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I wouldn't be suprised to see them tank it like they did for OV.

Anyone know what Mike Yeats is up to?
Maybe they can ask Mario for some advice.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:23 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
2 years ago, the NJ Devils installed the same system the Caps installed, and it took the Devils the vast majority of the season to figure it out. From about MLK Day on, they were lights out, and in year 2 they went to the finals. Now the Caps are installing the same system, and did so without a training camp and without a preseason. It took several weeks for them to figure it out, but they seem to be playing as good as anyone the last couple of weeks.

Now they've done this while losing Alexander Semin, Brooks Laich hasn't played a single game yet, and They have 5 defensemen injured entering tomorrow's game (Poti, Erskine, Green, Orlov, Kundratek). This season may not work out, but I am confident in the future.
The key difference here is that the Devils are one of the top organization in the NHL, while the Caps are one of the biggest jokes.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
...they need to purge management before they get anywhere.
This. Fire the GM-y one. Bring in someone who is really good at doing GM-y stuff. Then...

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Lux Aurumque*

The Capitals just suck. Ovechkin is an overrated, average player. Their goaltending is brutal. They have no depth.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
HOLDITHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
The Capitals just suck. Ovechkin is an overrated, average player. Their goaltending is brutal. They have no depth.
At least you didn't go full retard.

HOLDITHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Paxton Fettel

The Rangers and Flyers are more disappointing. If you look at the Caps' roster, there was nothing to be very excited about to begin with.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

I expected the Caps to struggle under Oates, though not this badly.

I expected the Rangers to excel in a shortened season, that's probably the biggest disappointment.

Never been impressed with Philly, even last year. I don't care how good Giroux is. Six immobile pylons on defense + an inconsistent headcase goaltender + a coach that prefers yelling and screaming to, you know, strategy and actual coaching = disaster waiting to happen. Pronger was the only noteworthy thing about that team and they've essentially been neutered ever since his injury.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote