HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Who hated the sutter hiring?

Old
03-14-2013, 12:10 PM
JT8888

vCash: 500
Who hated the sutter hiring?

I remember really being pissed the day of the hiring but boy was I wrong. Now having him around for a bit I am liking him more and more, I like the way he handles interviews

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Nope. I was all for it. And thrilled. Sorry I can't sign this

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Firenze
Robynho

I thought he would be a second version of TeMu, glad to be wrong

Firenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
The Big Giant Head

i was skeptical...wasnt sure if his coaching style was what this team needed so i wouldnt say i hated it but i wasnt convinced.

Sometimes being wrong is an great thing

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Shellz

I wasn't against it, but I really wasn't for it. I just told myself to give him a chance before I judge.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Ollie Weeks

I didn't care at the time, just wanted Murray gone. I didn't have a list of candidates with which to consult Lombardi at the time, so I'm glad he preceded without my input.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

I thought it was terrible at the time from what people were saying about him.

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

I was so pissed, I went off on Leiweke via email. Never been happier to wrong.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I spent a lot of time looking at offensive and defensive rankings in relation to Cup winners during Terry Murray's era. It became apparent that no team had won a Cup since the 2004 lockout without having a top 10 offense. When I looked at Darryl's track record in that regard, it wasn't very impressive. Long story short, I thought it was a horrible decision based on that logic alone. I thought there was no way he was going to improve the offense. He did improve the offense and even though the Kings finished 29th in the League in GF last year, they started scoring at a much higher rate almost immediately after he was hired. I believe they were one of the top scoring teams in the league after his hire. As they stand from a few days ago when I looked, the Kings were in the top 10 in GF this season.

I couldn't have been more wrong about him and I've actually told some of my friends on numerous occasions that he is the best coach the Kings have ever had. He is hilarious with the media and the perma-snarl on his face is priceless. He makes DL seem like even more of a genius. He really is in touch with the players on the team and seems to be able to get the most out of them.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
We need an accountability thread where we can find out if we were right or wrong on all King transactions. IIRC, I liked the Sutter hiring just because he's known as a hard ass and it's way too easy to play hockey in LA. The players literally receive no pressure from the fans and there is no media so you need a dictator as a coach who can remind them they need to play hard and train hard when they aren't playing hard. That whole come to LA to surf and hang out mentality seems to have died off and I couldn't be happier. Now the fans demand results every game.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:48 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
We need an accountability thread where we can find out if we were right or wrong on all King transactions. IIRC, I liked the Sutter hiring just because he's known as a hard ass and it's way too easy to play hockey in LA. The players literally receive no pressure from the fans and there is no media so you need a dictator as a coach who can remind them they need to play hard and train hard when they aren't playing hard. That whole come to LA to surf and hang out mentality seems to have died off and I couldn't be happier. Now the fans demand results every game.
Man I would be scared of a accountability thread regarding the kings. I have been right a few times but god some of the trades I wanted just scare me to think about now ha

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I was cautiously optimistic, and was very thrilled that we got rid of Murray. I felt at the very least, Sutter would give them a kick in the ass, but I was scared that we were going to revert back to the old ways and Sutter could become another Murray. It was a critical moment. If we regressed, Lombardi may have been fired and there could have cleaned house with the front office. It was all or nothing on Sutter, and I figured Dean knew what he is doing with his last bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
A fun thread for that would probably be the O'Sullivan + 2nd for Williams thread

Interesting to note, that that 2nd turned into a player that we could use right about now: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brian_dumoulin/

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Martyros

I was extremely optimistic, I saw Calgary in their cup run, Craig Conroy was their 1st line center! Sutter took them all the way to the 7th game in the finals.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
SLang

I didn't hate it. But I'm not gonna try to make myself seem like I knew they were gonna win the Cup, either. I was ambivalent, I suppose.

What I was thrilled about was that TM was leaving and that maybe, just maybe, their fortunes would improve, and boy was I rewarded.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
RAZZIE King
Registered redophile

I remember getting the news while at my Salvation Army kettle...and sarcastically predicted that the Kings were going to win the Cup after TM got fired out loud to a San Jose Sharks fan... He said that if they do...I'll put $50 in your kettle first time I see you... He actually paid up the week before the kettle season ended...

Note I predicted this before DS was officially named as coach...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
santiclaws

I hated it for an hour. Then I went and read some more, particularly what they were saying on the Flames board and what his former players had to say about him. Then I was for it. So I was wrong, but then I was right.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
The Butcher
**** your team

I was worried mainly because I bought into all the negativity about him being another coach that wouldn't let the players play an offensive forechecking game.

The Butcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Leo W

I didn't really like it at first as I thought he'd be just like Murray, but I didn't freak out about it. Wanted to give him a chance.

Leo W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Whiskeypete

i was against it. i like the accountability factor he was known for, but worried about being just another TMu situation

Whiskeypete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I would have supported a bag of potatoes over Terry Murray at that point.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
I remember getting the news while at my Salvation Army kettle...and sarcastically predicted that the Kings were going to win the Cup after TM got fired out loud to a San Jose Sharks fan... He said that if they do...I'll put $50 in your kettle first time I see you... He actually paid up the week before the kettle season ended...

Note I predicted this before DS was officially named as coach...
I thought the kettle thing was only during the Holidays. When is the kettle season?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I would have supported a bag of potatoes over Terry Murray at that point.
This.
My favourite before we hired was Bob Boughner tho....

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

I was skeptical, honestly.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
RAZZIE King
Registered redophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I thought the kettle thing was only during the Holidays. When is the kettle season?
My location is from the day after Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve (Sundays excluded)...but we had spots that were from the week before to Christmas Eve... Then...there's Albertson's with the 8 working days before Christmas...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

I didn't know enough about him to have an opinion either way...but I do remember reading several quotes from his ex-players and they all had great things to say about him. So, just by that, I felt somewhat optimistic.

I was sure about one thing though, I knew the Kings would never win a SC while Terry Murray was still at the helm. I was right about that...

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote