HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sam Gagner to the Maple Leafs

Old
03-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Mr Shanahan

vCash: 500
Sam Gagner to the Maple Leafs

Came across this article today:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...a-possibility/

He is a RFA this summer, the Oilers have a lot of contracts expiring (especially on D) and would probably like to take advantage of his extremely high value at this moment, if they are not willing to pay him of course.

The Maple Leafs have many D to offer, most of which are on cheap contracts which could benefit the Oilers if they want to make a bit of a splash on free agency.

What do Oilers fans think? Is Gagner on his way out of town? And realistically what would have to be going back to Edmonton from Toronto?

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
The Oilers have lots of cap space coming up. This thread will turn into "Oiler fans overrating Gagner again" garbage.
The Leafs won't be willing to part with a solid roster defenseman worth a consistant 40+ point centre thats only 23 years old.
Smid is the only defenseman that will deserve a raise this off season. Bye bye Whitney if he wants the same money

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Koto

sure we can trade you sam gagner.

just send back a gagner clone+

(otherwise our 2-4C is horc, belanger, lander)

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
palindrom

Kadri for Gagne?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
The Oilers have lots of cap space coming up. This thread will turn into "Oiler fans overrating Gagner again" garbage.
The Leafs won't be willing to part with a solid roster defenseman worth a consistant 40+ point centre thats only 23 years old.
Smid is the only defenseman that will deserve a raise this off season. Bye bye Whitney if he wants the same money
The Oilers do have cap space coming up but are they going to be willing to pay Gagner close to what Hall and Eberle are making? If he keeps this season up, he'll want a Jamie Benn contract. I doubt that it would be the smartest move for Edmonton to make especially considering they are going to have to sign RNH and Yakupov in the near future, and they have to address their thin blueline.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Kadri for Gagne?

Yeah we like this trade because it improves our lockerroom.

also....Poise.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
sure we can trade you sam gagner.

just send back a gagner clone+

(otherwise our 2-4C is horc, belanger, lander)
I hope I am speaking for all Leaf fans when I say that we would be more than willing to give up Bozak and defenders for Gagner... Bozak is obviously not a top-6 C on a Cup contender but a serviceable 2nd line C who can win draws and fill in for the time being.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getcha Dion View Post
The Oilers do have cap space coming up but are they going to be willing to pay Gagner close to what Hall and Eberle are making? If he keeps this season up, he'll want a Jamie Benn contract. I doubt that it would be the smartest move for Edmonton to make especially considering they are going to have to sign RNH and Yakupov in the near future, and they have to address their thin blueline.

Interesting premis...which begs the question.....are you prepared to pay him that much?

Anyway oilers should sign gagner to 5.25 LT.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Koto

Quote:
I hope I am speaking for all Leaf fans when I say that we would be more than willing to give up Bozak and defenders for Gagner... Bozak is obviously not a top-6 C on a Cup contender but a serviceable 2nd line C who can win draws and fill in for the time being.
...it was a joke. we cant trade gagner, we need him as our top-6C since we arent getting one from any other source.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
rockinghockey

I would only trade Gagner for Gardiner and Bozak with Bozak getting resigned before hand. I am not interested in Kadri.

Take it or leave it.
You should of went after Gagner last year when his value wasn't so high. He is only 23 and is improving at both ends of the ice.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you knew anything about the Oilers you would know its not their defense or goaltending thats the issue this year. Its actually scoring(25th).

Besides. Consensus on HF is that Gagner is an overrated, soft, one-way player; so no NHL team will pay him more than 3.5 max

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:58 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I would only trade Gagner for Gardiner and Bozak with Bozak getting resigned before hand. I am not interested in Kadri.

Take it or leave it.
You should of went after Gagner last year when his value wasn't so high. He is only 23 and is improving at both ends of the ice.
Wasn't the problem with Gagner was his lack of size and your asking for Bozak.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
A deal around Gagner for Gardiner

Draiskull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
A deal around Gagner for Gardiner
Never going to happen. We have enough of Gagner in Bozak and Kadri thanks. No interest in Gagner as such.

dubplatepressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
If you knew anything about the Oilers you would know its not their defense or goaltending thats the issue this year. Its actually scoring(25th).

Besides. Consensus on HF is that Gagner is an overrated, soft, one-way player; so no NHL team will pay him more than 3.5 max
I actually do know that, and considering they have a grand total of 1 puck-moving defensemen and the average age of their top 6 forwards is 22, it does not surprise me at all.

HOWEVER, with the superstar potential at forward in Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov, and the lack of not only puck-moving defensemen but effective NHL defensemen in general, I'm sure the Oilers would consider spending Gagner's money on their blueline.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Poochie the Dog
Always recycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Never going to happen. We have enough of Gagner in Bozak and Kadri thanks. No interest in Gagner as such.
This. If the Leafs are parting with Gardiner+ they would look for an actual 1C in return.

Poochie the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Tyler Bozak is not even comparable to Sam Gagner.....as much as I will stand by Bozak's side, he is the worst first-line centreman IN THE NHL, and Gardiner is clearly not in favour with coach Randy Carlyle, and could be seen as expendable with Morgan Rielly impressing.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
JackJ

No. We need size up the middle.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Wasn't the problem with Gagner was his lack of size and your asking for Bozak.
Bozak is 53% on the dot. That is a big improvement over GAgner. Pocession will help our team out a lot. Just because Gagner is listed as 5 "11" DOESNT mean he is. He is under 5 "10". I think Bozak will be a fine 2C behind RNH. He would be playing with PRV and Yak. Having Gardiner in that package improves us on two fronts, a puck moving dman and better on the faceoff. I think that improves our team. Plus Bozak will not cost as much as Gagner when it comes to contract time.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
zeus3007*

I don't think there is any chance the Oilers trade Gagner unless they get something great for him. The blog you linked is all speculation, and speculation by someone who seems to be pretty far off. Trading Gagner would essentially be evidence that the Oilers will be rebuilding forever. You don't develop a guy that long and trade him as soon as he actually gets good.

And with RNH's struggles this season, and only Horcoff and Belanger as our other centers, it would leave us way to thin up the middle. They'll sign him, probably long term. I could see the negoatiations starting at Desharnais money, and ending up around 4.5 long term.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Came across this article today:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...a-possibility/

He is a RFA this summer, the Oilers have a lot of contracts expiring (especially on D) and would probably like to take advantage of his extremely high value at this moment, if they are not willing to pay him of course.

The Maple Leafs have many D to offer, most of which are on cheap contracts which could benefit the Oilers if they want to make a bit of a splash on free agency.

What do Oilers fans think? Is Gagner on his way out of town? And realistically what would have to be going back to Edmonton from Toronto?
Asking price would likely be Gardiner and Toronto's 1st, considering Edmonton has no direct replacement at center. Will they ever get that? Likely not but the asking price is high no doubt.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
McDoused

If I've learned anything on hfboards, it's that you don't make trade proposals with leaf fans. Last year most leaf fans wouldn't even move Bozak alone for Gagner. They also wouldn't move Gunnarsson. Toronto has some serious hate for Gagners size and will always point to his weaknesses (size and face off ability) rather than acknowledging his offensive production. He isn't a defence first player and isn't valued very highly in Toronto.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Poochie the Dog
Always recycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
Asking price would likely be Gardiner and Toronto's 1st, considering Edmonton has no direct replacement at center. Will they ever get that? Likely not but the asking price is high no doubt.
That's the price Leafs would be interested in paying for Perry (signed) not Gagner.

Poochie the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
That's the price Leafs would be interested in paying for Perry (signed) not Gagner.
That price wouldn't get you near Perry.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Gardiner+Bozak, Gardiner+1st, or Morgan Reilly straight up. Gagner has been playing like a 1st line center this season at just 23 years old and should make a solid #2 center in the NHL. Only an overpayment will do.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote