HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MTL] David Desharnais re-signs 4 years 3.5M AAV

Old
03-15-2013, 02:10 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

vCash: 500
Fair deal for the Habs. I bet their glad they have him locked up now.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Malefic74

Good signing and you can never criticise depth, particularly at centre and D.

DD is a very competent placeholder until Chucky and Eller are ready for their primetime minutes. It's taken Eller a little longer than many thought from when he arrived, so I don't understand the rush to toss Galchenyuk in there right away; and there is a phenomenon known as the sophomore slump (Hi RNH!!) so best to keep a solid player like DD around.

From a coaching standpoint if your big boys are playing a little soft it must be nice to point to Gallager and Desharnais and ask: "if those two play hard why can't you?"

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
duckchobbins

Fair deal for everyone.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
That Habs Fan
Weber + Price = ✓

very happy with this signing, so nice to be free of Bob "no negotiations mid season or even before a contract is set to expire' Gainey

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
CN_paladin

Didn't Lavoie tweet that the first year only pays 3.2 M with .3M being the signing bonus?

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
CN_paladin

This is a much better deal for the Habs than a 32 year old declining Erik Cole at 4.5M.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Chacal667

Cole wasnt gentle with his teamates particularly with subban, he was bashing at subban all the time, his other teamates told him to stop that.

I remember during a game I can't say against which team it was but because of the microhpone they have along the board, I heard Cole yelled at Desharnais like a fool : ''Get the .... Out !!'', because Dd was sitting on the board just beside the door to get to the bench. Cole got hit badly just before and it is why he wanted to sit on the bench but it is not a way to treat your teamates. edit : he got trade the week after.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Godot
Justice is blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
This is a much better deal for the Habs than a 32 year old declining Erik Cole at 4.5M.
He's 34.

Godot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
capebretoncanadien

Awesome love it! Good job Bergevin. Talent like DD's does not grow on trees.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Awesome love it! Good job Bergevin. Talent like DD's does not grow on trees.
there's no word to say how awesome it is, no more thread of propositions of trade for Dd.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:06 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Good for Desharnais. Always thought he was a NHL player ever since he was the Martin St. Louis of the ECHL a few years ago, and good on the Habs for discovering him and giving him a chance.
Desharnais owes Guy Carbonneau a nice steak dinner. Carbo was his biggest supporter, telling the Habs management to give him a chance.

Former Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau said Desharnais's determination to succeed has made him the player he is today.

"Nobody ever handed anything to him," Carbonneau said. "He's had to work for everything he's achieved, and you look for that kind of player."

Carbonneau played a key role in Desharnais's career, pressing the Canadiens to give him a tryout after four years of junior hockey in Chicoutimi.

"I was part of the group that owned the team in Chicoutimi and I thought he deserved a chance to prove what he could do," Carbonneau said. "I think the first invitation he had was for a development camp, and he went from there to the rookie camp and then he got a chance to play in the East Coast league.

"I saw him as a 20-year-old junior and I thought he had some potential," Carbonneau added. "He's a great kid and he's one of those players who has had to fight for everything. He faced a challenge every year at every level, and he got better."

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...ab6526eb6e&p=2

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Good deal, should be a good bargain like PAP's contract.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
Seems pretty cheap for a 60 point center to be under 4M. I'd say 4/4.25M
He's on pace for 48-49pts in a full 82 game schedule. That 60pt season might have been a blip on the radar for him, he's probably a 40-45pt guy. But if he fits there and is effective there, then that 3.5m/yr on average is worth it.

PAP is a better player though, if you can produce like that on 2 teams, you aren't a "product" of anything but your own hard work and skill.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
catmanhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
He's on pace for 48-49pts in a full 82 game schedule. That 60pt season might have been a blip on the radar for him, he's probably a 40-45pt guy. But if he fits there and is effective there, then that 3.5m/yr on average is worth it.

PAP is a better player though, if you can produce like that on 2 teams, you aren't a "product" of anything but your own hard work and skill.
I'm not a huge DD fan..like him but if I had to choose 4 centers going forward he wouldn't be one. That being said, I'm happy to have him so long as we keep our depth which is becoming quite good.

To be fair to him though he had a slow start, but has really picked it up lately which makes his prorated point total lower than I feel it should be. I don't think its fair just yet to say last year was an anomaly. He is a slick crafty little player. His play the last 15 games or so have been really good and I think he'll wind up a 60 point guy most years of his contract, perhaps higher a couple of those years.

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Good deal for both side , i'm really happy for Desharnais . A small forward , who had to work really hard to finally play in the NHL . The kind of guy that don't take anything for granted and give his 100% game in game out .

not bad for an undrafted players.

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
I don't know what to say. DD is an effective offensive player for us but I hate having so many midgets on the team.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

It was a slow start this year, so that didn't help. The habs have been spreading their scoring around 3 lines this year, so I can see DD's pace being a bit off. There's more offensive options to lean on, and a different guy seems to come up large for each win.

I suspect that his ice time will gradually diminish as Galchenyuk and Eller evolve, and that also means the production will take a hit.

It will be interesting to see where he fits if everyone is healthy, but this is quality depth to have.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:

Slow start.
5 pts in 13 games. (Cole doing nothing, Pac having an appendicectomy early on and not scoring for the first 10 games).
Since then: 11 pts in 14 games.

He's an over 55-60 pts centerman. His ppg average will be back on track soon, just a matter of erasing that bad start for the full line.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I don't know what to say. DD is an effective offensive player for us but I hate having so many midgets on the team.
But we win and those midgets produce and battle hard. You can't ask for more. If we can get rid of Gio next year it would be a good step in reducing the small guys(then we'll add Dumont! )

I don't know how Bergevin does it that guys are willing to take these contracts. We used to overpay our guys all the time. Feels good, man.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:59 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
-money is good
-still needs to be insulated by big N/S wingers who shoot - thus his crazy chemistry with Pacioretty
-still a liability in D zone
BUT
can live with the $$$. Term a bit long but he's only 26. AND cap will be going UP after next year

ps comparables;
http://www.capgeek.com/comparables/?...98&season=2013
WingerS as in plural because Gallagher isn't a big N/S winger.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

DD had a very good end of the season. I believe he had more points in 2nd half than first half last year. Maybe he's a slow starter? In any case his current rate isn't too shabby and it's like 1/3 of a REAL season so projections aren't perfect.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Exactly. I'm a fan of both and I ****ing love the depth.
how many natural centers on the bruins roster? bergeron, krejci, peverly, kelly, seguin... forgetting anyone? depth is good. this whole "well, now we gotta trade someone" thing is doing my head in

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

Pacioretty and Cole had really bad starts (Deharnais was poor too, but when his wingers are bad, he's got not one to pass too - he's not a do-it-myself type player).

Not to mention, his linemates have missed a lot of great set-ups this year on him. Which is why he really needs to shoot more so he's not so dependent on others.

He's got 11-points in his past 14-games.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:33 AM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Good signing for the habs. I really wonder what we're going to dod with so many centres. Eller on the wing is my guess, because I don't see us asking Galchenyuk to go there, since we've been talking about drafting a big elite center for years and years now, and that Plekanec is one of the best 2 way centres in the league (probably top 10).

Good signing.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:31 AM
None Four One

Hopefully his value doesn't take a... dive... over the next few years

None Four One is offline   Reply With Quote