HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais signed to a contract extension (4 years @ $3.5M/yr)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 06:42 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
You mean when he dominated in the AHL for half the year, got his first serious shot in the NHL and scored at 0.5 ppg for half a season playing 12 mins/game.
And?
You are correct, and I beg your forgivness. Every NHL player is given a 4 year 3.5 million contract after such an ordeal... LMAO

Old
03-15-2013, 06:44 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
What are all the randomly bolded part supposed to indicate?
An IQ over 83

Old
03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
You are correct, and I beg your forgivness. Every NHL player is given a 4 year 3.5 million contract after such an ordeal... LMAO
Except that he was given a 2 year 0.850 million contract after it.

Do you need us to slow down for you?

Old
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Rickkins

Good for him. Decent player, with a great work ethic. Kudos..!!

Old
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I feel like I've asked this a million times but what is going on with the cap?

It goes down to 64.5 next year but have they figured out what happens after that?

Old
03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
"If anyone in the world deserves a contract like that it's
Davy," Pacioretty said. "He's put in the work at every level.

"He's proven everyone wrong. There's a lot of ex-hockey players working in the [Canadiens] system now and it takes a hockey player to know how valuable he is to a team. They understood it, obviously.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...esharnais.html

Many around this site don't. Obviously.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Except that he was given a 2 year 0.850 million contract after it.

Do you need us to slow down for you?
No, I was talking about his current contract. I should slow down to catch up I know. Common practice these days. Who the heck is "us". Oh, I get it. Are you the "US" responsible for the 20 years of failure?

Baaa, forgive me. I get too passionate about this. I thank all for the chance to spout my opinion while slinging psuedo insults. I enjoy posting here and think I got a little too carried away with the fact we have a winning team.

Suban has my plate full of crow for the next few decades or so. All I need is another helping...

Last edited by cphabs: 03-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 07:06 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I feel like I've asked this a million times but what is going on with the cap?

It goes down to 64.5 next year but have they figured out what happens after that?
The cap is going up ... way up.

They estimate 2.4 million revenues this year ... which is around 72% of the amount they got last season .. so they have 72% revenue in 58% schedule .. without the all star game and the Winter classic.

The cap is going up, by a lot.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Really?

This is the first major screw up for our new management. Every player in the league, let alone Habs, knows this is a home boy hook up. We really screwed the pooch on this one. 4 years at 3.5 million for a player with the stats he has? LOL.

Cry away at free agency! "why can't we sign players". Here's your answer.
Lol bud, David Jones hasn't even reached 60 points and he's paid 4 million and is a winger. Same thing with Andrei Kostitsyn and his 3.25 we paid him while he was here.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
MarkovsKnee

I think this a great contract. $3,5m average is more than reasonable especially for a guy who is one year away from UFA where he'd easily get around $4m. He got off to a horrendous start, but has been playing really strong over the last few weeks. He definitely helps the team offensively.

The contract is right for a player of his skills and deficiencies. Glad for him. He deserves it.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Did anybody here to the funniest thing ever on Melnick? McGuire was against the term and then they went on a tirade between him and Melnick, as Mitch is mostly OK with the contract. Anyway they go back and forth, McGuire hated to see that Melnick was against him, to a point that he called Melnick as a cheerleader of the player or deal, don't remember. And McGuire added......YOU CAN'T FALL IN LOVE WITH A PLAYER. I mean....McGuire says that? Really? He even added that he never felt in love with any players whatsoever...Wow...just the funniest segment ever.....McGuire sounding frustrated is really funny.

Melnick had a pretty good observation. He said that while everybody thinks DD might always be a product of wherever he plays, Melnick went back to see the Q team, the ECHL and the AHL team DD played in and racked up the points, and out of those teams....nobody either ever made the NHL...or made a greater contribution than DD is making at the NHL level.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Lol bud, David Jones hasn't even reached 60 points and he's paid 4 million and is a winger. Same thing with Andrei Kostitsyn and his 3.25 we paid him while he was here.
I can not help myself... So, we are going to the make the same mistake... again?

Old
03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
I can not help myself... So, we are going to the make the same mistake... again?
Dude, there's something called the trade market if DD ever becomes uneeded. A 7th round pick is better than letting him walk for free.

AK47 and Jones have never eclipsed 50 points in their careers. DD has already hit 60.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Going back to the contract, let me ask that question. Since we have no idea of what really went on behind closed doors, we do have to make some scenarios about what really happened. So when you hear about deals, as far as fan of a team, don't you want the feeling that somehow, the player didn't win it all? That by looking at a contract, that the GM had to have a few counter proposal so that everybody won a little?

So the question is....aside from not having any NTC or NMC clause...where do you think Bergevin won? DD got 3.5 M$ and 4 years. Did Bergevin won by getting less years? Or less money? Was DD really in a position to ask for 5+ years? Or was he really in a position to get 4+ M$??? Somehow, and despite what people would bring about the comparables, it's still tough to think that despite 1 good season, DD would have been able to get 4 M$. So did DD asked for that contract and just....got it? Just a question.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

Many around this site don't. Obviously.
The enforcer thread is living proof. Good find.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Dude, there's something called the trade market if DD ever becomes uneeded. A 7th round pick is better than letting him walk for free.

AK47 and Jones have never eclipsed 50 points in their careers. DD has already hit 60.

Yep and sure.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Cupmonger

I think it's a good deal. He produces points. Isn't great defensively and is small. Eventually, we'll have to give his spot to either Galchenyuk or Eller. If he keeps this production, his salary could work for us in a trade. I love the guy. He's a Habs fan in and out. But this is also a business and you got to win. So sooner or later, DD is getting traded. At least the length of the contract helps us give time to develop the other centers.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Going back to the contract, let me ask that question. Since we have no idea of what really went on behind closed doors, we do have to make some scenarios about what really happened. So when you hear about deals, as far as fan of a team, don't you want the feeling that somehow, the player didn't win it all? That by looking at a contract, that the GM had to have a few counter proposal so that everybody won a little?

So the question is....aside from not having any NTC or NMC clause...where do you think Bergevin won? DD got 3.5 M$ and 4 years. Did Bergevin won by getting less years? Or less money? Was DD really in a position to ask for 5+ years? Or was he really in a position to get 4+ M$??? Somehow, and despite what people would bring about the comparables, it's still tough to think that despite 1 good season, DD would have been able to get 4 M$. So did DD asked for that contract and just....got it? Just a question.

Quote:
Desharnais didn't want to talk about how the deal got done, which came within a few weeks of signing with agent Pat Brisson. And he brushed aside suggestions that Montreal may have got him at a bargain price for a 60-point man. He was just happy to be signed for four more years.

But he admitted to being concerned for his future early in the season when he struggled to score, with only three goals and two assists in the first 13 games. The entire line has picked up its scoring of late, however.
What I'm going to read into this is that his former agent was pushing for more than DD eventually signed. Also, the fact that he admits to being to being concerned about his future early on in the season (which is only a month ago) would suggest that DD wasn't interested in pushing the envelope on the deal. He's a guy who has never really been secure in the move up the ladder and probably looked at the $7-8 million he will receive after taxes/agent fees and couldn't stomach the risk of turning it down. He's secure for life at a very high lifestyle.

Who won? I guess if one plays the comparable contract deal, then the Canadiens did. Just a little bit, anyway. Bergeron may have sensed a little nervousness with the DD camp (mainly the player I'm sure). In any case, DD will be a UFA at 31 years old. He's got a very big contract in hand and has a chance to earn another one in 4 years. It's hard for me to consider him "losing" at any level. He's now wealthy, has job security and is playing on his home town team. If there's any "losing" in this package, sign me up for the same one

Old
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
HomaridII

Quote:

My guess is he wanted more years. He is REALLY happy to be playing here and him and Patches had talked about both signing long term deals and playing together HERE for a long time. (according to Patches who said it today)

In terms of the contract --

DD was 20th amongst centers in scoring last season

and this season despite a horrendous start he is 44th .. even if you take the average and say he will be a 50-55 pt guy each season, that puts him around 30th amongst centers in scoring consistently every year.

How people think 3.5 is too much is beyond me.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Did anybody here to the funniest thing ever on Melnick? McGuire was against the term and then they went on a tirade between him and Melnick, as Mitch is mostly OK with the contract. Anyway they go back and forth, McGuire hated to see that Melnick was against him, to a point that he called Melnick as a cheerleader of the player or deal, don't remember. And McGuire added......YOU CAN'T FALL IN LOVE WITH A PLAYER. I mean....McGuire says that? Really? He even added that he never felt in love with any players whatsoever...Wow...just the funniest segment ever.....McGuire sounding frustrated is really funny.

Melnick had a pretty good observation. He said that while everybody thinks DD might always be a product of wherever he plays, Melnick went back to see the Q team, the ECHL and the AHL team DD played in and racked up the points, and out of those teams....nobody either ever made the NHL...or made a greater contribution than DD is making at the NHL level.
Pacioretty?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:06 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Here some comparisons in the division:

Rich Peverley (3.250 million for 2 more years) 8 points in 25 games
Chris Kelly (3 million for 3 more years) 6 points in 23 games
Mikhail Grabovski (5.5 million for 4 more years) 11 points in 26 games
Drew Stafford (4 million for 2 more years) 9 points in 27 games
Peverly is a solid 2 way forward who can score 40-50 points , rarley sees the pp
solid defender great wheels and tough ... BETTER THAN DD

Kelly same as above , plays a solid 2 ways game and can score 35-45 points on a bottom 6 role , kills penalties and can play a top 6 if need be ....BETTER THAN DD

Grabovski ...is more talented , better wheels , plays more agressive 3 20+ goal seasons and scores 50-55 points and this year he is playing more of a defensive role
he is overpaid but not is a better player than DD ...

Stafford is bigger stonger and more physical , a power forward who got paid 4 mil when he scored 30 goals and was coming into his own as a power forward
every team woudl of paid him 4 mil ...brings more to the table than DD

Old
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Drew Stafford is not a power forward. He's a streaker like AK47 and our overpaid smurfs were.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Ask yourself this. How many teams would have given DD over 3m in the nhl?

A> 0
B> 0
C> 1
D> 0

Answer is C, the Habs. While he is now virtually untradeable, because no one will want DD at 3.5m long term, so we are now stuck with him for the entire contract. For people who say, it is never bad to have too much depth. I will answer simply, there is a salary cap, depth comes at a cost. DD is someone who should have been traded for a 2nd rounder to some team willing to take a risk on him for a playoff push who are weak at C. We have Pleks signed long term, we have Eller developping and AG. There was 0 reason for this signing. You can't pay 1 dimensional guys like DD who should be 3rd liners this kind of money
exactly my friend

could not of said it any better myself , but DD cant play third line for 3.5

Old
03-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

Kelly same as above , plays a solid 2 ways game and can score 35-45 points on a bottom 6 role , kills penalties and can play a top 6 if need be ....BETTER THAN DD
Chris Kelly hit 40 points on the nose in 2006-07 and hasn't reached that level since. DD was still in juniors then.

Wrong. Again.

4 more years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEAL WITH IT

Old
03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
couris

If his name was Gorges everyone would be happy with this signing(on HFboards).

Closed Thread