HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais signed to a contract extension (4 years @ $3.5M/yr)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Dirty Danglez
Groupthink

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Peverly is a solid 2 way forward who can score 40-50 points , rarley sees the pp
solid defender great wheels and tough ... BETTER THAN DD

Kelly same as above , plays a solid 2 ways game and can score 35-45 points on a bottom 6 role , kills penalties and can play a top 6 if need be ....BETTER THAN DD

Grabovski ...is more talented , better wheels , plays more agressive 3 20+ goal seasons and scores 50-55 points and this year he is playing more of a defensive role
he is overpaid but not is a better player than DD ...

Stafford is bigger stonger and more physical , a power forward who got paid 4 mil when he scored 30 goals and was coming into his own as a power forward
every team woudl of paid him 4 mil ...brings more to the table than DD
Did you really just say stafford brings more to the table than DD? Think about it

Old
03-15-2013, 08:36 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Drew Stafford is not a power forward. He's a streaker like AK47 and our overpaid smurfs were.
the issue is Drew was paid 4 mil coming into his own as a legit power forward in this league with 30 and 20 goals , this year he underachieved as did the team

the Sabres stink period , and Stafford isnt playing the pp or top minutes DD is

the point is every team would of paid Drew at that time , few teams would of paid DD this money or term right now given his limitations

put it this way would u pay 3.5 mil to Diaz ( small finesse type limited d ) while showing some promise or give it to Max even if he didnt score 30+ goals last year and showing some promise

simply put you pay Max with size , strength , potential hands , grit and wheels

he can do more tha what Diaz can do , and would fit in with virtually any team

Old
03-15-2013, 08:44 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
the issue is Drew was paid 4 mil coming into his own as a legit power forward in this league with 30 and 20 goals , this year he underachieved as did the team

the point is every team would of paid Drew at that time , few teams would of paid DD this money or term right now given his limitations

put it this way would u pay 3.5 mil to Diaz ( small finesse type limited d ) while showing some promise or give it to Max even if he didnt score 30+ goals last year and showing some promise

You can think that, but I disagree, There are a lot of teams out there struggling to score goals, some teams missing top 6 centers who can put up points. If someone is willing to take 2 years of Cole for his current contract then moving DD (if and when we need to) won't be a massive problem. 3.5mill for a player who has put up 50+pts in a season is half decent. Yes, he is 1 dimensional. But with DD you aren't looking for anything other than offense. 3.5 for a pure offensive player isn't that bad and 4 years are not crippling.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
icerocket

At first I thought this was an overpayment. Then I thought about it, and it makes a lot of sense. DD is producing (no matter what people say) and is the center of what is the Habs first line. His contract is a real deal for any 1st line center. Since he is producing it wouldn't be very hard to trade him.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Did you really just say stafford brings more to the table than DD? Think about it
buddy you are missing the point Drew was paid for what he can be down the road after scoring 30 goals as a 6`2 215 pound power forward at 25 .

DD didnt get an extension cause he has #1 center potential down the road

he got his money as a local kid who is a decent center but trust me if he wasnt a hometown player , he would not of got any extension right now , not with three better centers on the team

what market is there for a 5`7" 50-60 point finesse player with defensive limitations and doesnt play a 2 way game

come on be serious here , every team would paid an up and coming power forward over DD

Old
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
NLHabsFan

I seen the announcement of the signing on TSN this morning when I was working, and I thought it was a good move by the Habs. The money and the term are fine. Personally, I was hoping they would sign him at 3 - 3.5 mil for 3 years. He is good in his role, getting offensive opportunities, and the team hides his defensive deficiencies (though not as bad as some people make out). But I knew I would read this site tonight and their would be some ridiculous complaining. DD is helping this team win.

The good thing with this signing is that the Habs do not have to rush Galchenyuk into a bigger role. He can play left wing again next season and continue to adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL.

DD threads and Eller threads always turn out the same: posters putting down one to try and raise the other. They are both a part of our favourite team: the HABS. Besides that, they don't even have the same role. Galchenyuk will one day take over DD's spot when he is ready and Eller will take over Plekanec's. Pleky has a couple good years left before he really starts to decline and that is when Eller will be after maturing and be more comfortable that his offense will be there and will be able to play the power on power game Plekanec plays. Hopefully the team has better wingers for him when he reaches that point.

But why bring Eller into this thread? I don't understand the bashing of either, or the comparisons.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:01 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
You can think that, but I disagree, There are a lot of teams out there struggling to score goals, some teams missing top 6 centers who can put up points. If someone is willing to take 2 years of Cole for his current contract then moving DD (if and when we need to) won't be a massive problem. 3.5mill for a player who has put up 50+pts in a season is half decent. Yes, he is 1 dimensional. But with DD you aren't looking for anything other than offense. 3.5 for a pure offensive player isn't that bad and 4 years are not crippling.
you can disgaree all you want my friend , did you hear Elliot Freedman on why Cole was traded for Ryder ?

he said according to Dallas , Cole brings more size , grit , wheels , and when he doesnt score at least he brings a big body and drives the net . When Ryder doesnt score he does less and brings less to the table.

But come playoff time , teams want the Coles of the world not DD

Yes teams need some offence but trust me the contenders dont come looking for this player

I agree completely with you that his contract is tradeable and maybe by year 2 he will be get moved to a Columbus type team

Old
03-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Kriss E

To hear some people speak, you'd think DD signed a 6M deal for 8years.

Really, it's a small deal. Nothing wrong with it.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Dirty Danglez
Groupthink

Quote:
you can disgaree all you want my friend , did you hear Elliot Freedman on why Cole was traded for Ryder ?

he said according to Dallas , Cole brings more size , grit , wheels , and when he doesnt score at least he brings a big body and drives the net . When Ryder doesnt score he does less and brings less to the table.

Yes teams need some offence but trust me the contenders dont come looking for this player

I agree completely with you that his contract is tradeable and maybe by year 2 he will be get moved to a Columbus type team
you keep saying trust me in your posts as if you have some sort of edge of knowledge over the HF posters who disagree with you. Well you don't.

I think you're ignorant to believe he got this contract only because he's a home town kid. I think you're ignorant when you chose to pick on Desharnais' weaknesses (defensive limitations and size) and leave out his strengths (offensive awareness, vision, speed and compete level).

I don't like the contract term, but not because of DD as the player, but because I feel in 2 years time Gally will be ready to take on the center position, with Pleks and Eller as the two other offensive centers on the club.

The way you hate on DD though, just seems like you're overcompensating for the fact that DD is tiny by comparing him to guys like stafford (who is big by stature but SOOOO not a power forward btw)

Old
03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:

I heard what Elliot Freedman said, but more importantly I seen how Cole played. Believe me, I was a huge Cole backer. I was pissed when he got traded at first. Then I got to thinking about it and how it does make sense. Cole has the big body to drive to the net when he isn't scoring, but he barely ever does it (Least not much this season). Cole barely backchecked, there were a few goals that got scored because of Cole's lack of effort. Does that kind of play translate to the playoffs? no. Ryder is likely as good as gone come the end of the season, and I won't be really too sorry to see him go. But when it comes to playoffs if it comes down to a DD who puts in effort game in game out vs a Cole who only plays when he wants to play, then i'd go with DD every time. Cole's lack of effort come playoff time (if he kept going at this rate) would hurt us more than help us.

DD is not our answer, but he is not a "problem" either. The deal he got doesn't even mean he will be here for the full term. People are going way overboard and acting as if we signed him for Gomez or Getzlaf money. 3.5 is a bargain that a lot of stingy teams would take for a guy who has shown he has offensive ability. Look at Connolly from the Leafs, he is all offense and signed for a lot more than DD. Sure he is in the minors, but the price tag shows that people are willing to pay more for offensive output for the exact same role. If he had a nice 3.5 mill cap hit then there would likely be teams looking to pick him up to help them out. Can you not say that teams like Nashville couldn't use offensive help? Columbus?

Old
03-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

I remember that season because I followed his fantasy production. He had like 2 or 3 consecutive hat ticks and an unsustainable shooting average. He's their Andrei Kostitsyn. 20 goals, 40-50 points is going to be the norm for him.

And up and coming? This guy is 27 now and aside from his career season, he's been rather consistent in his point totals. 20 ish goals, 20-25 assists.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
you keep saying trust me in your posts as if you have some sort of edge of knowledge over the HF posters who disagree with you. Well you don't.

I think you're ignorant to believe he got this contract only because he's a home town kid. I think you're ignorant when you chose to pick on Desharnais' weaknesses (defensive limitations and size) and leave out his strengths (offensive awareness, vision, speed and compete level).

I don't like the contract term, but not because of DD as the player, but because I feel in 2 years time Gally will be ready to take on the center position, with Pleks and Eller as the two other offensive centers on the club.

The way you hate on DD though, just seems like you're overcompensating for the fact that DD is tiny by comparing him to guys like stafford (who is big by stature but SOOOO not a power forward btw)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether its a correct opinion or not. He was probably one of the many people who *****ed about Prust being overpaid too when he was signed, halfway through his first season and probably 90%+ of those people are singing a different tune. Just goes to show you that "popular opinions" aren't always the correct one. But bashing DD and his contract is the easy thing to do. Some people just want to see the world burn

Old
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Dannyhab

3.5 is exactly what Desharnais is worth. Everyone stop complaining.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
To hear some people speak, you'd think DD signed a 6M deal for 8years.

Really, it's a small deal. Nothing wrong with it.
You have no idea what you're talking about. This ruins the development of EVERYBODY. Our cap situation is screwed, our prospects are screwed. We're too small, we'll never win.

Am I doing this right?

Old
03-15-2013, 09:25 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyhab View Post
Wrong forum for that

Old
03-15-2013, 09:49 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyhab View Post
The issue here is 4 years.

2 years would have been perfect.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:51 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

While 4 years does somewhat suck, it's not crippling let alone anything to get irked about.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Yes and No.....The habs might not need DD in 2 years
But if they want some trading value, the players must have some years left on a contract!!

Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Gary320

I have no issue with the dollar worth. With his production, Desharnais deserves every dollar. I'm more worried about long-term, I'm not confident that having Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Eller is 'contender' worthy down the middle. I'm not expecting any of the centers (maybe.. maybe Eller) to be traded any time soon. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. So I'm really interested to see what happens, are these the 4 guys we will have for the next 3-4 years?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:01 PM
groovejuice

Quote:

In the not too distant future, we can expect a cap close to $75m. That number will shrink a 3.5m hit.

Plus DD is the best Quebec player on the team and his presence generates both interest and dollars.

Thirdly, I don't think we've seen his best. Oddly we have a rookie who will motivate him to go to the dirty places, and only improve his game.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Habs

I'm shocked at how many DD fanboys there are here, to be honest.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Miller Time

i'd have preferred 3 years instead of 4... but I'm glad we were able to keep it under 4M$.

what i like about the deal:

- rewards a guy who is 100% pro, plays hard every night & plays with fearlessness despite his small size. Worked his way from "nothing" to an NHL regular, despite no one giving him a chance... sends a message internally to the players coming up through the pipelines about what the organization values/rewards

- he's likely more reliable than say Bourque to consistently produce in that top-6 offensive role, and at 3.5M$ if he can average 50+ pts a season, that's a pretty solid cap value

- obviously has chemistry/relationship with one of our key young players, and has shown ability to make linemates better at every level (or at least, ability to be productive with whomever he plays with)

what I don't like:

- term... as much as the cap hit makes him more easy to move should need arise, the term mitigates that unless he's very productive (in which case we probably aren't moving him)

- I think Eller is ready now to be a top-9 fixture, and in 1-2 years I think he'll be ready to be a top-6 fixture... Pleks is Pleks... Galch, we hope, we'll be a fixture in a top-6 C role sooner than later...
DD as a winger isn't ideal, and while depth is a good problem to have, I really worry that this signals MB is open to moving Eller in a deal sometime in the near future.

in any case, congrats to DD, he certainly "deserves" it as much as a pro athlete can. Hope he does nothing but make us feel lucky to have him at that price!

Old
03-15-2013, 10:06 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I have no issue with the dollar worth. With his production, Desharnais deserves every dollar. I'm more worried about long-term, I'm not confident that having Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Eller is 'contender' worthy down the middle. I'm not expecting any of the centers (maybe.. maybe Eller) to be traded any time soon. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. So I'm really interested to see what happens, are these the 4 guys we will have for the next 3-4 years?
I'm interested as well, my gut tells me these won't be our centers for the next few seasons. Some domino will fall and this will change, the only one I would pencil in is Chucky. MB stated this season is a evaluation season, and we know that both MB and MT like size, skill and speed. Signing DD to a cheap deal with some term does make him more attractive on the open market since he is locked up and burns some of his UFA years. This is especially attractive to teams that have a harder time signing UFA's such as a Columbus (example). I doubt the team has finished all their assessments, and will want to see how players preform in the playoffs (which is a great measuring stick). No major changes were likely to happen until the off season. Once the team's management see's where we need to either upgrade or re-tool then we'll get a better understanding of what direction we're going to go.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:08 PM
otto bond

Good for Desharnais. I said he was to small and he's proven me wrong thus far. He has earned every penny. I look at the dollard MB has signed players and it's been pretty decent deals for both sides(players and team).
DD's game over 80 games is of a 60+ points center. At 3.5, it's a good deal.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Roulin

Decent contract. I'd rather keep our own player than gamble on a Weiss or Roy. I actually like the term, getting DD's 27-30 year old seasons is about as safe as it gets, and he has a history of staying healthy.

Closed Thread