HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we in the midst of another epic second-half collapse this season?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 07:54 AM
  #176
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
What's beyond irritating with people like you isn't your mind-numbingly baseless optimism, it's the smugness that the rest of us are idiots because of our legitimate concerns.

Newsflash: 5 losses in a row at this juncture in the season is a major blow. No the season isn't over yet but we've taken a huge hit and we need to snap out of this funk immediately.
5 losses in a row in a halved season has the same impact as a 10 game losing streak.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 AM
  #177
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
Shootout looses don't count in my eyes. They have lost 3 and tied 2.
Well your way makes it look far less horrid then it is. Although your 2 ties do mask over the fact that two teams that we are in direct competition for a PO spot walked away with winning point totals.

How about a compromise and we agree on, we got 2 out of our last possible 10 points and the teams against us got 10 out of 10 possible points.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 08:14 AM
  #178
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Well your way makes it look far less horrid then it is. Although your 2 ties do mask over the fact that two teams that we are in direct competition for a PO spot walked away with winning point totals.

How about a compromise and we agree on, we got 2 out of our last possible 10 points and the teams against us got 10 out of 10 possible points.
perfect and simple ...but realisticly ,we are an 8-12 place team untill we get a superstar we wont ever chase the overall league title ,like it or not another very mediocre team
tampa bay and buffalo are must wins ..

hullsy47 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:26 AM
  #179
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,948
vCash: 100
If this team can't win against teams like Buffalo and Tampa, I think we can safely say that this team isn't going to make the playoffs.

Counting the upcoming losses against the Bruins gives us 17 games to play with needing roughly 22 points. A tall task for a team that is highly inconsistent.

Pi is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:39 AM
  #180
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedpotato View Post
What I want to know is :


Prior to the current losing streak - where were these suggestions re. sacking "Burke's Cancers" ?
What are you talking about? There have been tons of posts - steadily over the last couple of years - suggesting that Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel are *not* cornerstone pieces.

Why you would suddenly pretend that these people have just crawled out of the woodwork after a few losses is bizarre.

You do realize the Leafs have been consistently losing through both of those players *entire* tenures as Maple Leafs, and both have had more then their share of critics, right?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:42 AM
  #181
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
yes montreal. Theirs was in the beginning. Before we kicked their butts - they were like... not really good. after that game, that's when they became 1st in the division.

3 points in 5 games. that's not good, but it's not horrendous.
In the beginning? You mean when Montreal started the season 7-2? What are you talking about?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
  #182
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,948
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
What are you talking about? There have been tons of posts - steadily over the last couple of years - suggesting that Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel are *not* cornerstone pieces.

Why you would suddenly pretend that these people have just crawled out of the woodwork after a few losses is bizarre.

You do realize the Leafs have been consistently losing through both of those players *entire* tenures as Maple Leafs, and both have had more then their share of critics, right?
Dion and Kessel are not cornerstone pieces but we don't need to make rash decisions. Look at Philly, they completely changed a team that went to the Cup finals and now they're having trouble making the playoffs.

I have no doubt Morgan Rielly will be the Leafs best player before his ELC ends. Just watching this guy play you can see he's always thinking a step or two ahead of other players on the ice.

Pi is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:47 AM
  #183
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,948
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
The leafs are 2 points behind Ottawa for 5th, not sure that ranking is reason to panic. I can't imagine Leafs fans would have been disappointed if in September someone had told you that is where you be in March.
2 points and a game in hand. That's huge.

Ottawa is winning without Karlsson and Spezza.

An injured Ottawa team >> Leafs team. Especially when Carlyle is being a stubborn ***** and doesn't change much of his roster despite dropping 5 games.

Paul MacLean >>> Randy Carlyle.

Pi is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
  #184
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo
 
Daisy Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
In the beginning? You mean when Montreal started the season 7-2? What are you talking about?
I had thought that Montreal had been in a middle of a losing streak when we had met up with them. If I was wrong, I stand corrected. And apparently I was, so, I'm corrected, thanks.


so we have 2 points out of a possible 10, which sucks. but we could have 0 points out of 10 which would be worse. those 2 points is having us in 6th right now.

Daisy Joy is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:21 AM
  #185
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If this team can't win against teams like Buffalo and Tampa, I think we can safely say that this team isn't going to make the playoffs.

Counting the upcoming losses against the Bruins gives us 17 games to play with needing roughly 22 points. A tall task for a team that is highly inconsistent.
Yep, if they don't scrape by those two clubs with a sweep, they're basically looking at a 9 game losing streak after the Boston Bruins are done with them next weekend.

Stephen is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:36 AM
  #186
Hennig
It was 4-1.
 
Hennig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 1684
Better now than at the end of the season.

Hennig is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:54 AM
  #187
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost
 
InterceptSchenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
2 points and a game in hand. That's huge.

Ottawa is winning without Karlsson and Spezza.

An injured Ottawa team >> Leafs team. Especially when Carlyle is being a stubborn ***** and doesn't change much of his roster despite dropping 5 games.

Paul MacLean >>> Randy Carlyle.

we also are in 6th without a 1C or 1D......or 1G.

InterceptSchenn is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
  #188
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Almost 50+ years of futility will do that to a fan base.
Gotta let go of the past if you want to move forward.
Tomorrow's a new day.

egd27 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
  #189
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Dion and Kessel are not cornerstone pieces but we don't need to make rash decisions. Look at Philly, they completely changed a team that went to the Cup finals and now they're having trouble making the playoffs.

I have no doubt Morgan Rielly will be the Leafs best player before his ELC ends. Just watching this guy play you can see he's always thinking a step or two ahead of other players on the ice.
Actually thats not true...Rash Decisions are Neccessary. Both Dion and Phil will want to be paid as cornerstone pieces and Nonis will have to decide whether he wants those guys going forward. Dion being captain adds a layer of complication, IMO..changing your captain can wreak havoc with team chemistry too.

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
  #190
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
we also are in 6th without a 1C or 1D......or 1G.
Difference is Ottawa will be getting all those pieces back eventually.

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
  #191
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yep, if they don't scrape by those two clubs with a sweep, they're basically looking at a 9 game losing streak after the Boston Bruins are done with them next weekend.
Bruins have been very impressive again this year..I could see them representing the East in the Cup final. I don't see the Leafs salvaging any points in the back to back series.

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
  #192
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
we also are in 6th without a 1C or 1D......or 1G.
Yes, but Ottawa *does* have all of those pieces in Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson, and they are going to be getting *all* of those pieces back. So if there better than the Leafs now without them, it's obviously only going to get worse.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:37 AM
  #193
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,948
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Actually thats not true...Rash Decisions are Neccessary. Both Dion and Phil will want to be paid as cornerstone pieces and Nonis will have to decide whether he wants those guys going forward. Dion being captain adds a layer of complication, IMO..changing your captain can wreak havoc with team chemistry too.
Vancouver went to the Cup finals after Luongo gave up the C.

I wish Dion would just give up the C too.. He's a good player but he comes of as lazy sometimes on the ice.

I'd much rather have no captain right now.

Pi is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
  #194
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Vancouver went to the Cup finals after Luongo gave up the C.

I wish Dion would just give up the C too.. He's a good player but he comes of as lazy sometimes on the ice.

I'd much rather have no captain right now.
I agree...Dion is a good player but he will also probably be demanding in the 7M neighbourhood I imagine with his next contract. Is he worth 7M? I say no. I have never been enamoured by his captaincy either. He would be more effective as a quiet leader in the background, IMO..Less ice time, less face time. Some times less is more. Here is a case of that.

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
  #195
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
we also are in 6th without a 1C or 1D......or 1G.
It just points out how much Leafs are missing from being a serious competitor for the Cup.

Other teams like Sens are missing one of each due to injury and still performing better than our Leafs. Where Leafs need to find one of those, Sens just have to wait for their 3 key weapons to return to the line-up.

So I don't look at this losing streak as a collapse, but rather simply a reality check of where our team currently stands in the big picture of things overall.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
  #196
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It just points out how much Leafs are missing from being a serious competitor for the Cup.

Other teams like Sens are missing one of each due to injury and still performing better than our Leafs. Where Leafs need to find one of those, Sens just have to wait for their 3 key weapons to return to the line-up.

So I don't look at this losing streak as a collapse, but rather simply a reality check of where our team currently stands in the big picture of things overall.
What the Sens are doing just goes to show it's not so much who you have playing but how you play with the guys you have. I've watched hockey for enough years that a won't be surprised if Ottawa gets worse when they get their players back. Our saviors are on their way, Players relax a bit, less attention to detail. Leafs have enough talent to make the playoffs. We have three lines full of players when at least 50 point potential.

Ash35 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
  #197
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
we also are in 6th without a 1C or 1D......or 1G.
That's true. Ottawa might have their 1D and 1C injured. But we never had a 1D or a 1C.

Even when other teams are decimated by numerous injuries, they're still head and shoulders above the Leafs talent-wise (and by any other criteria you can find, except maybe golfing).

saffronleaf is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  #198
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I agree...Dion is a good player but he will also probably be demanding in the 7M neighbourhood I imagine with his next contract. Is he worth 7M? I say no. I have never been enamoured by his captaincy either. He would be more effective as a quiet leader in the background, IMO..Less ice time, less face time. Some times less is more. Here is a case of that.
Hahaha. If Dion demands 7M, my god. I'm a broke law school student, but I'll personally fly to Toronto, rent a car, and drive him to Pearson. One-way ticket to Edmonton. Go home, retire.

saffronleaf is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  #199
GreekLeafer
Registered User
 
GreekLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It just points out how much Leafs are missing from being a serious competitor for the Cup.

Other teams like Sens are missing one of each due to injury and still performing better than our Leafs. Where Leafs need to find one of those, Sens just have to wait for their 3 key weapons to return to the line-up.

So I don't look at this losing streak as a collapse, but rather simply a reality check of where our team currently stands in the big picture of things overall.
This is a pretty fair post. That being said, I think the Leafs have the ability to sneak in. Once in there, even the lesser teams have proven to be damaging to the big boys. If they ride out the rest of the way at .500 or slightly above, I think they can make it.

GreekLeafer is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  #200
GreekLeafer
Registered User
 
GreekLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
That's true. Ottawa might have their 1D and 1C injured. But we never had a 1D or a 1C.

Even when other teams are decimated by numerous injuries, they're still head and shoulders above the Leafs talent-wise (and by any other criteria you can find, except maybe golfing).
I think Phaneuf is suitable for the top pair, but he needs someone to match his skill ie. Brent Burns. He's always being paired with scrubs and Gunnar who is decent (but not last night). Now if Rielly proves to be amazing in his 1st year, that would be nice.

GreekLeafer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.