HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we in the midst of another epic second-half collapse this season?

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
What's beyond irritating with people like you isn't your mind-numbingly baseless optimism, it's the smugness that the rest of us are idiots because of our legitimate concerns.

Newsflash: 5 losses in a row at this juncture in the season is a major blow. No the season isn't over yet but we've taken a huge hit and we need to snap out of this funk immediately.
5 losses in a row in a halved season has the same impact as a 10 game losing streak.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
Shootout looses don't count in my eyes. They have lost 3 and tied 2.
Well your way makes it look far less horrid then it is. Although your 2 ties do mask over the fact that two teams that we are in direct competition for a PO spot walked away with winning point totals.

How about a compromise and we agree on, we got 2 out of our last possible 10 points and the teams against us got 10 out of 10 possible points.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:14 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Well your way makes it look far less horrid then it is. Although your 2 ties do mask over the fact that two teams that we are in direct competition for a PO spot walked away with winning point totals.

How about a compromise and we agree on, we got 2 out of our last possible 10 points and the teams against us got 10 out of 10 possible points.
perfect and simple ...but realisticly ,we are an 8-12 place team untill we get a superstar we wont ever chase the overall league title ,like it or not another very mediocre team
tampa bay and buffalo are must wins ..

Old
03-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
If this team can't win against teams like Buffalo and Tampa, I think we can safely say that this team isn't going to make the playoffs.

Counting the upcoming losses against the Bruins gives us 17 games to play with needing roughly 22 points. A tall task for a team that is highly inconsistent.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:39 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedpotato View Post
What I want to know is :

Prior to the current losing streak - where were these suggestions re. sacking "Burke's Cancers" ?
What are you talking about? There have been tons of posts - steadily over the last couple of years - suggesting that Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel are *not* cornerstone pieces.

Why you would suddenly pretend that these people have just crawled out of the woodwork after a few losses is bizarre.

You do realize the Leafs have been consistently losing through both of those players *entire* tenures as Maple Leafs, and both have had more then their share of critics, right?

Old
03-17-2013, 09:42 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
yes montreal. Theirs was in the beginning. Before we kicked their butts - they were like... not really good. after that game, that's when they became 1st in the division.

3 points in 5 games. that's not good, but it's not horrendous.
In the beginning? You mean when Montreal started the season 7-2? What are you talking about?

Old
03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
What are you talking about? There have been tons of posts - steadily over the last couple of years - suggesting that Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel are *not* cornerstone pieces.

Why you would suddenly pretend that these people have just crawled out of the woodwork after a few losses is bizarre.

You do realize the Leafs have been consistently losing through both of those players *entire* tenures as Maple Leafs, and both have had more then their share of critics, right?
Dion and Kessel are not cornerstone pieces but we don't need to make rash decisions. Look at Philly, they completely changed a team that went to the Cup finals and now they're having trouble making the playoffs.

I have no doubt Morgan Rielly will be the Leafs best player before his ELC ends. Just watching this guy play you can see he's always thinking a step or two ahead of other players on the ice.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
The leafs are 2 points behind Ottawa for 5th, not sure that ranking is reason to panic. I can't imagine Leafs fans would have been disappointed if in September someone had told you that is where you be in March.
2 points and a game in hand. That's huge.

Ottawa is winning without Karlsson and Spezza.

An injured Ottawa team >> Leafs team. Especially when Carlyle is being a stubborn ***** and doesn't change much of his roster despite dropping 5 games.

Paul MacLean >>> Randy Carlyle.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
In the beginning? You mean when Montreal started the season 7-2? What are you talking about?
I had thought that Montreal had been in a middle of a losing streak when we had met up with them. If I was wrong, I stand corrected. And apparently I was, so, I'm corrected, thanks.

so we have 2 points out of a possible 10, which sucks. but we could have 0 points out of 10 which would be worse. those 2 points is having us in 6th right now.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If this team can't win against teams like Buffalo and Tampa, I think we can safely say that this team isn't going to make the playoffs.

Counting the upcoming losses against the Bruins gives us 17 games to play with needing roughly 22 points. A tall task for a team that is highly inconsistent.
Yep, if they don't scrape by those two clubs with a sweep, they're basically looking at a 9 game losing streak after the Boston Bruins are done with them next weekend.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Better now than at the end of the season.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:54 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Quote:
2 points and a game in hand. That's huge.

Ottawa is winning without Karlsson and Spezza.

An injured Ottawa team >> Leafs team. Especially when Carlyle is being a stubborn ***** and doesn't change much of his roster despite dropping 5 games.

Paul MacLean >>> Randy Carlyle.

we also are in 6th without a 1C or 1D......or 1G.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Almost 50+ years of futility will do that to a fan base.
Gotta let go of the past if you want to move forward.
Tomorrow's a new day.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Dion and Kessel are not cornerstone pieces but we don't need to make rash decisions. Look at Philly, they completely changed a team that went to the Cup finals and now they're having trouble making the playoffs.

I have no doubt Morgan Rielly will be the Leafs best player before his ELC ends. Just watching this guy play you can see he's always thinking a step or two ahead of other players on the ice.
Actually thats not true...Rash Decisions are Neccessary. Both Dion and Phil will want to be paid as cornerstone pieces and Nonis will have to decide whether he wants those guys going forward. Dion being captain adds a layer of complication, IMO..changing your captain can wreak havoc with team chemistry too.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Difference is Ottawa will be getting all those pieces back eventually.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yep, if they don't scrape by those two clubs with a sweep, they're basically looking at a 9 game losing streak after the Boston Bruins are done with them next weekend.
Bruins have been very impressive again this year..I could see them representing the East in the Cup final. I don't see the Leafs salvaging any points in the back to back series.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Yes, but Ottawa *does* have all of those pieces in Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson, and they are going to be getting *all* of those pieces back. So if there better than the Leafs now without them, it's obviously only going to get worse.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Actually thats not true...Rash Decisions are Neccessary. Both Dion and Phil will want to be paid as cornerstone pieces and Nonis will have to decide whether he wants those guys going forward. Dion being captain adds a layer of complication, IMO..changing your captain can wreak havoc with team chemistry too.
Vancouver went to the Cup finals after Luongo gave up the C.

I wish Dion would just give up the C too.. He's a good player but he comes of as lazy sometimes on the ice.

I'd much rather have no captain right now.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Vancouver went to the Cup finals after Luongo gave up the C.

I wish Dion would just give up the C too.. He's a good player but he comes of as lazy sometimes on the ice.

I'd much rather have no captain right now.
I agree...Dion is a good player but he will also probably be demanding in the 7M neighbourhood I imagine with his next contract. Is he worth 7M? I say no. I have never been enamoured by his captaincy either. He would be more effective as a quiet leader in the background, IMO..Less ice time, less face time. Some times less is more. Here is a case of that.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
It just points out how much Leafs are missing from being a serious competitor for the Cup.

Other teams like Sens are missing one of each due to injury and still performing better than our Leafs. Where Leafs need to find one of those, Sens just have to wait for their 3 key weapons to return to the line-up.

So I don't look at this losing streak as a collapse, but rather simply a reality check of where our team currently stands in the big picture of things overall.

03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Ash35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It just points out how much Leafs are missing from being a serious competitor for the Cup.

Other teams like Sens are missing one of each due to injury and still performing better than our Leafs. Where Leafs need to find one of those, Sens just have to wait for their 3 key weapons to return to the line-up.

So I don't look at this losing streak as a collapse, but rather simply a reality check of where our team currently stands in the big picture of things overall.
What the Sens are doing just goes to show it's not so much who you have playing but how you play with the guys you have. I've watched hockey for enough years that a won't be surprised if Ottawa gets worse when they get their players back. Our saviors are on their way, Players relax a bit, less attention to detail. Leafs have enough talent to make the playoffs. We have three lines full of players when at least 50 point potential.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
That's true. Ottawa might have their 1D and 1C injured. But we never had a 1D or a 1C.

Even when other teams are decimated by numerous injuries, they're still head and shoulders above the Leafs talent-wise (and by any other criteria you can find, except maybe golfing).

Old
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I agree...Dion is a good player but he will also probably be demanding in the 7M neighbourhood I imagine with his next contract. Is he worth 7M? I say no. I have never been enamoured by his captaincy either. He would be more effective as a quiet leader in the background, IMO..Less ice time, less face time. Some times less is more. Here is a case of that.
Hahaha. If Dion demands 7M, my god. I'm a broke law school student, but I'll personally fly to Toronto, rent a car, and drive him to Pearson. One-way ticket to Edmonton. Go home, retire.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

This is a pretty fair post. That being said, I think the Leafs have the ability to sneak in. Once in there, even the lesser teams have proven to be damaging to the big boys. If they ride out the rest of the way at .500 or slightly above, I think they can make it.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
That's true. Ottawa might have their 1D and 1C injured. But we never had a 1D or a 1C.

Even when other teams are decimated by numerous injuries, they're still head and shoulders above the Leafs talent-wise (and by any other criteria you can find, except maybe golfing).
I think Phaneuf is suitable for the top pair, but he needs someone to match his skill ie. Brent Burns. He's always being paired with scrubs and Gunnar who is decent (but not last night). Now if Rielly proves to be amazing in his 1st year, that would be nice.

Closed Thread