HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hypothetically speaking...could Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Stamkos break Gretzkys...

Old
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
NVious*

vCash: 500
In this era? Hell no.

In Gretzky's era? I think Crosby/Malkin would stand a chance if not get very close, still difficult though.

NVious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
The fact that Gretzky has more assists then anyone else (besides him) has points, should answer your question.
this.....

Mayby somone will come along who can score more goals, but overall points IDK

you cant even put these numbers up on XBOX http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

Last edited by StrongIslanders90: 03-15-2013 at 03:21 PM.
StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:57 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
this.....

Mayby somone will come along who can score more goals, but overall points IDK

you cant even put these numbers up on XBOX http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search
Clearly you haven't played an entire season on rookie difficulty.

03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Them? No way, one day someone will come along though and be the real next one, I hope I'm alive to see it.

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
I am aware of all of that, I just want to know which record these guys could break of his.

Perhaps goal record....Ovechkin has 349 goals. All he needs is another 556 goals. LOL, all he needs...yeah but its possible. Same with Stamkos and Crosby IMO

Only 565 goals, eh?

Cake

seriously, that'd be ten more seasons at 55 goals per(we will assume he will score 6 more this season)Not gonna happen.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:47 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
If you take Crosby and replace Gretzky for him in every game Gretzky played, Crosby shatters all of his records, blindfolded, with his dryer chained to his left ankle
Clearly you're what, 16. Sad that you missed the Gretzky boat. I was lucky enough to see his last handful of seasons, even then, he was still dominant.

Go back, watch replays, youtube, w/e. I've watched everything on Gretzky i can get my hands on. I don't believe there will ever be another player in a team sport like him.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Clearly you're what, 16. Sad that you missed the Gretzky boat. I was lucky enough to see his last handful of seasons, even then, he was still dominant.

Go back, watch replays, youtube, w/e. I've watched everything on Gretzky i can get my hands on. I don't believe there will ever be another player in a team sport like him.
Messi disagrees. DAMN is that guy good.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
sovietsanta87

Quote:

Probably missed the boat on Mario Lemieux too; a player that is 7th in scoring despite playing in only 915 games. Would love to see how many points the big boy could put up if he didnt have chronic back issues, cancer, and the same protection from the league Gretzky had.

sovietsanta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:58 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Nope. His records are here to stay. Unless they widen the net by a foot on each side.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:58 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Better question would be can they catch his points if only his assists are counted?

Answer is still no
Exactly... take away all his goals and there's still no chance.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
The blindfolded part is obviously sarcasm, but the point of swapping Gretzky for Crosby isn't, because it's true. Crosby is a better hockey player than Gretzky, sorry but it's true and Gretzky admits it
ummm link? WTF. Crosby ain't anywhere near Gretzky. He's a wonderful player, a generational player even. Gretzky is a once in a lifetime player. It is true that scoring was higher at that point in time. yet, he still outscores anyone in assists alone. Think about that. Every player who has EVER played in the NHL in history, has NEVER even put up the same amount of points as Gretzky has assists.

Even i have trouble comprehending it and i've been obsessed with Gretzky since i was 4

Old
03-15-2013, 05:02 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietsanta87 View Post
Probably missed the boat on Mario Lemieux too; a player that is 7th in scoring despite playing in only 915 games. Would love to see how many points the big boy could put up if he didnt have chronic back issues, cancer, and the same protection from the league Gretzky had.
I consider staying healthy (no matter the injury) as part of being a great player. Lemieux was wonderful but still wasn't able to maintain the longevity Gretzky had. Injuries are part of the makeup of each specific player.

Eric Lindros would have been a shoe in for the hall of fame despite his injuries. Does that mean he should get in?

Old
03-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

...only if combined.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:08 PM
M A K A V E L I*

None of these guys could in a modern NHL. If Lemieux didn't have his health problems, he would've broken Gretzky's career goals record and would be pretty close to the career points as well.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:56 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
None of these guys could in a modern NHL. If Lemieux didn't have his health problems, he would've broken Gretzky's career goals record and would be pretty close to the career points as well.
If.

The most pointless and baseless word in regards to records.

If Lindros could have stayed healthy and this year was his last season, as I would have hoped for in the early nineties, he would be regarded as the best player in the history of hockey. I actually believe this, but I can't prove it, and can't even be 100% sure in saying it.

As a matter of fact, the guy is probably not even going to get into the HHOF.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

For you youngsters, go find a picture of the goalies from the Gretzky era. Compare their equipment with today's. Also, Gretzky played in the weakest era ever in the NHL. Pretty much zip in terms of foreigners from US, and Europe. Finally, he came along at the end of the last major expansion in the league, when the NHL and WHA combined. League filled with what would be considered minor leaguers today.

Gretzky no doubt one of the greatest of all-time, but having watched the game since the early 60's, Mario Lemieux was better.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
I think Gretzky himself couldn't beat his own record in a modern hockey
Easy. Just play him on the power play until he gets one assist...Two all time records for assists and points

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

No, he wouldn't.
Crosby would be considered the most dominant athlete of all time if he had his prime when Gretzky had his. And I am not a Crosby fan, it's just so obvious. Who the hell puts up five assists in one game like he did the other day? In today's NHL? He'd blow the doors off of Gretzky's records.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

It is the 200 point seasons that make Gretzky's record impossible to catch. Nobody has got close to 150 points in the last ten years, let alone 200. It really is a ridiculous number.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Crosby would be considered the most dominant athlete of all time if he had his prime when Gretzky had his. And I am not a Crosby fan, it's just so obvious. Who the hell puts up five assists in one game like he did the other day? In today's NHL? He'd blow the doors off of Gretzky's records.
Since 2000-01:

Marian Hossa
Keith Tkachuk
Espen Knusten
Joe Thornton
Peter Forsberg
Markus Naslund
Scott Gomez
Dallas Drake
Sheldon Souray
Marek Zidlicky
Robert Lang
Teemu Selanne
Patrice Bergeron
Evgeni Malkin
Alexandre Picard
Dion Phaneuf
Brad Richards
Ryan Getzlaf
Mark Recchi
Martin St. Louis
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Claude Giroux

All sure-fire HHOFers.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
LOL!

On another note, I wish there was a Wayne Gretzky award for assists.
It would probably come down to Henrik and Crosby every year.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
That's just not true. Look at Mario Lemieux - he came back to the NHL at 35 after missing 4 seasons in the middle of the dead puck era and scored 76 points in 43 games. If he can do that at 35 in the early 2000s imagine what he could do today in his prime. Gretzky would be the same.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
I think Gretzky himself couldn't beat his own record in a modern hockey
200 points in a season in this era. 92 goals? Yeah right. I think a Crosby type player could have gave Gretzky a run for his money in the 80's.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
CanuckLuck

With the evolution of the game I could definitely see Crosby putting up similar #'s to Gretzky in his time. But in today's game, no one will come close.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:32 PM
sovietsanta87

Quote:
I consider staying healthy (no matter the injury) as part of being a great player. Lemieux was wonderful but still wasn't able to maintain the longevity Gretzky had. Injuries are part of the makeup of each specific player.

Eric Lindros would have been a shoe in for the hall of fame despite his injuries. Does that mean he should get in?
LOL wut?

So one of the things that made Gretzky better than Lemieux was his "ability" to not have Hodgkins Lymphoma?

sovietsanta87 is offline   Reply With Quote