HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Universally hated Hockey people past/present

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Dale Hunter
Dave Manson
Matthew Barnaby
Tie Domi
Doug Gilmour

All hated as players, not saying they are bad people.

Old
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
Whats wrong with a visor. Sakic wears a visor and he's probably the 2nd best player in the game behind Brodeur.
nothing's wrong with a visor, as said by spitfire ... its the players who hide behind it, who instigate fights (Iginla, and co) ... I have no problem with Sakic wearing one (he doesn't get in that many let alone instigate many if any fights)

Old
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Eric Lindros - I respect tough physical players but he has picked on more than one little guy. I can remember him crushing Andreas Dackell's face into the boards.

That hit on Dackell was as clean as it gets. Probably one of the 4 or 5 best hits I've ever seen. Just because you're the bigger man you aren't supposed to let up.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
That hit on Dackell was as clean as it gets. Probably one of the 4 or 5 best hits I've ever seen. Just because you're the bigger man you aren't supposed to let up.
Did you see Dackell's face afterwards? There was no need to take the player out in that manner on that play. It could have ended Dackell's career. It was a cheapshot on a small player, in my opinion.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
jb**

Quote:
Did you see Dackell's face afterwards? There was no need to take the player out in that manner on that play. It could have ended Dackell's career. It was a cheapshot on a small player, in my opinion.
Absolutley wa snot a cheap shot, he ahd him in his sights and cleaned his clock, nothing cheap or dirty, what was he supposed to do let up because he was bigger. That is the benefit of being big, can push the smaller ones around

Old
04-07-2005, 02:28 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Yes, I saw Dackell's face, and yes it was a devastating hit. Players can get hurt from perfectly legal hits, which the Lindros on Dackell hit was. If Lindros was supposed to ease up on every smaller player, that would have been 99% of all NHLers.

Kasparitis and Stevens both smoked Lindros with perfectly clean hits to the head.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Which Hockey personalities are almost universally hated. Here are some for me.

Harold Ballard - No one ruined a Hockey franchise like this and he's the poster boy for that. I have never heard anyone in the universe say a decent thing about him. Even the nicest guy in the world Paul Henderson had bad memories of him in Toronto. And for good reason too. A truly devout evil man! I wasnt even alive in '67 and I still havent forgiven him for his collapse of the Leafs.

Ulf Samuelsson - Like everyone I hate this guy too. A guy that is most generally knwon for ending Cam Neely's career gets my vote. What bugged me is that he gave dirt cheap hits and then turtled like a coward afterwards. Tie Domi knocking him out though was a good consolation.

Bryan Marchment - I'm a Leaf fan and I really dont like him at all. I just tolerate the fact that he's a Leaf. He's blown out too many knees of star players in his career. Modano, Nieuwendyk, Weight come to mind.

Bobby Clarke - The way he dealt with Roger Neilson, Eric Lindros and other cases makes him public enemy #1. He'll never get fired from Philly as long as Ed Snider is there and that gets me even madder.

Peter Pocklington - How can a guy be hated (In Edmonton mostly) after winning them 5 Cups? The reason? The fact that he could have won ten. When you are responsible for trading away the greatest athlete in the world how can you possibly be loved after that? I dont know either

Alexei Yashin - Is he liked anywhere? In Ottawa? hated. Most of Canada? Hated. NYI? How can you like him after he stole $90 million from them? And has done what? Oh and lets not forget I'm sure the National Arts Centre hates him the most.

Alan Eagleson - With the exception of Clarke who likes this guy? Yeah if it wasnt for him there may not have been a union (at least not already in '67) but being a leader and then screwing everyone wont put you on anyone's Christmas card list.

Gary and Bob. You figure that one out.
I like your list, and I am sure someone else has suggested Graham James already but if they havent, I would like to throw him out as well as David Frost.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:43 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
What's wrong with him wearing a visor? People can't stick him in the face? It's not like he goes around instigating fights with it on (Iginla...).

As for Chelios and Verbeek, they're players you hate if they're not on your team, but I wouldn't say they're universally hated. I liked both when they were on the Wings.

And Avery is still one of my favourite players!
At least Iggy will fight, you would have to take Maltby's gloves off for him and then he would probably still be a puss and turtle.

Also Iginla will remove the helmet for fights if time allows it he is by no means the coward that Maltby is. Iggy is one of the more Physical players in the game and does it the right way.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Some would argue it was the talent of the team that gave the Russians so many victories. According to Igor Larionov's
biography,Tikhanov was a complete jerk.
All acounts I have ever heard or read have said that Tikhanov was a complete jerk as well. A lot of very sucessful coaches are disliked by their players at times but I think Tikhonov was on another level here.

Old
04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
acr*

I don't think anybody likes Mike Keenan. Thornton and Roenick said they liked playing for him, but I believe every other player hates his guts.

Old
04-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
At least Iggy will fight, you would have to take Maltby's gloves off for him and then he would probably still be a puss and turtle.
Same thing would happen if someone tried to fight Sakic, Kariya, Yzerman, ....
Everyone knows Maltby NEVER fights, so there's nothing wrong with him wearing a visor.

Quote:
Also Iginla will remove the helmet for fights if time allows it he is by no means the coward that Maltby is. Iggy is one of the more Physical players in the game and does it the right way.
When does he take his helmet off? He kept it on for all the fights he had in the playoffs and he also instigated them. I also remember Shanahan cutting his fingers fighting Iginla because his visor was kept on.

Old
04-07-2005, 03:16 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
I don't think anybody likes Mike Keenan. Thornton and Roenick said they liked playing for him, but I believe every other player hates his guts.
Olli Jokinen was ok with him. Keenan believed in him and gave him ice time.

Old
04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Yes, I saw Dackell's face, and yes it was a devastating hit. Players can get hurt from perfectly legal hits, which the Lindros on Dackell hit was. If Lindros was supposed to ease up on every smaller player, that would have been 99% of all NHLers.

Kasparitis and Stevens both smoked Lindros with perfectly clean hits to the head.
ALL hits to the head are ILLEGAL, you goof! Read the rulebook! How can a hit to the head be a "perfectly clean hit"?

Old
04-07-2005, 03:36 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
ALL hits to the head are ILLEGAL, you goof! Read the rulebook! How can a hit to the head be a "perfectly clean hit"?

A clean shoulder to the chin is not illegal. Now if it's an elbow, stick etc. it is a penalty.

I do believe that players are getting to big and they should make any blow to the head an automatic penalty, but that isn't currently the case.

Old
04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Particularly any goaltender who has ever played for him.

Old
04-07-2005, 04:38 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Same thing would happen if someone tried to fight Sakic, Kariya, Yzerman, ....
Everyone knows Maltby NEVER fights, so there's nothing wrong with him wearing a visor.

When does he take his helmet off? He kept it on for all the fights he had in the playoffs and he also instigated them. I also remember Shanahan cutting his fingers fighting Iginla because his visor was kept on.
I think I rember him taking it off when he fought Guerin.

Old
04-07-2005, 04:40 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Particularly any goaltender who has ever played for him.
I hate Keenan as well. He does have some players who swear by him though Matteau, Noonan, Corson.

Old
04-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Chili

Quote:

The 'perfectly legal hit' (from behind) smashed Dackell's head into the glass and left him with a severely lacerated face and a concussion. This from a player who should understand better than most the gravity of head injuries. I'm not a Sens fan but I was watching that game and Lindros was definitely agitated that night. He was looking for anyone to take it out on and poor Dackell just happened to be an easy target.

I've watched hockey since the original six and that was one of the worst hits I've seen (irregardless of what the league said about the hit). There was no doubt in my mind that Lindros was attempting to injure Dackell on the play.

Old
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I hate Keenan as well. He does have some players who swear by him though Matteau, Noonan, Corson.
Battered wife syndrome?

In Philly players would give him the Hitler salute behind his back. I remember St.Louis having to basicaly apologize to their fans after they fired him.

I think any GM he worked for also hates him.

Old
04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
What's wrong with him wearing a visor? People can't stick him in the face? It's not like he goes around instigating fights with it on (Iginla...).

As for Chelios and Verbeek, they're players you hate if they're not on your team, but I wouldn't say they're universally hated. I liked both when they were on the Wings.

And Avery is still one of my favourite players!

Verbeek I can agree withbut I'd hate Chelios if he were buying me a hot dog and pop. Verbeek was an agitator on the ice, Chelios makes all hockey players seem like grade a *******s when he speaks.

Old
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Bring Back Bucky

And in all seriousness, does anybody not hate the sight of shayne corson?

Old
04-07-2005, 07:49 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
And in all seriousness, does anybody not hate the sight of shayne corson?
I have a strong dislike for Darcy Tucker and Tahir Domi.

Old
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
I have a strong dislike for Darcy Tucker and Tahir Domi.
THAT'S three we can both hate, coochie old buddy.

Old
04-07-2005, 09:46 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
Dale Hunter
Dave Manson
Matthew Barnaby
Tie Domi
Doug Gilmour

All hated as players, not saying they are bad people.
Gilmour was universally hated?

Old
04-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
Gilmour was universally hated?
By babysitting services.

Closed Thread