HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Speculation Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 03:23 PM
  #326
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
I think everyone is giving up on Tedenby way too early. No doubt he's got a hill to climb, especially since the questions aren't about his skill or speed, but about his desire, work ethic, defensive game and size.

I think Lemaire got through to him on the Dgame, and I think he has the desire. Whether he'll work at it and whether he'll spend some time in the gym or ever have the size to play in the league is for us to see the next few years.
teddy making the next jump would do WONDERS for our team. its actually pretty pivotal. but after he didnt step up in parise's absence, im not counting on him at all. this way, if he does make the jump, i can be pleasantly surprised

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
  #327
Richer's Ghost
Moderator
McCleod is here
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 52,332
vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
That definitely isn't true.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/...ue-first-round

A mid first round pick is just as valuable as 2nd - 7th round picks combined.

With that said, scouts know very little. You could pick players simply based off junior PPG adjusted for age and do just as well if not better than NHL scouts over the long run.
Horrible article.

Quote:
As such, I've set the criteria for a "successful pick" in these drafts as any player who has played a minimum of 200 NHL games and has scored a minimum of 0.5 points per game.
By those standards, the Devils have only 3 players that are a successful pick on the roster right now.

__________________


Richer's Ghost is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  #328
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 58,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
teddy making the next jump would do WONDERS for our team. its actually pretty pivotal. but after he didnt step up in parise's absence, im not counting on him at all. this way, if he does make the jump, i can be pleasantly surprised
unfortunately for him he suffered the injury. Now he's not getting any time to play because of it. I could see him going to Sweden this Summer. He'll be tendered an offer, but it will probably be for as much as he got on the first contract and definitely a two way.

Until then trade for Gaborik!

Bleedred is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  #329
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Horrible article.



By those standards, the Devils have only 3 players that are a successful pick on the roster right now.
Why is that article so horrible?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
  #330
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
I don't know if Lou will trade with Islanders but Kyle Okposo could be a nice 3RW or 2RW to battle with Clarkson, and he's still got some upside. If anything, he's a big bodied 20g 20a forward.

Has had some inconsistencies this year, but I think he could be a nice fit.

Only problem is his value to NYI is probably something like Fayne or around there.

Zubrus-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Okposo
Ponikarovski-Zajac-Clarkson
CBGB

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
  #331
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,019
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I don't know if Lou will trade with Islanders but Kyle Okposo could be a nice 3RW or 2RW to battle with Clarkson.

Has had some inconsistencies this year, but I think he could be a nice fit.

Only problem is his value to NYI is probably something like Fayne or around there.
Lou acquired Trent Hunter from the Isles just a year ago

(and Beezer for Terreri way back when)

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
  #332
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
i'd trade Fayne for Okposo in an instant

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
  #333
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Why is that article so horrible?
Because the standards of judging a successful pick are dumb haha.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
  #334
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
i'd trade Fayne for Okposo in an instant
This. It's a no-brainer, in my opinion. We're deep defensively (minors included) and can afford to move Fayne and a 3rd or fourth rounder for Okposo who I think has a higher ceiling anyway.

Both are making peanuts right now too so that might actually be a great match.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
  #335
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
i'd trade Fayne for Okposo in an instant
havent you heard? okposo cant play hockey

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  #336
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,945
vCash: 500
Wouldn't really wanna move Fayne. Suggested Okposo a few weeks ago and got laughed at hahah

SteveCangialosi123 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  #337
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
havent you heard? okposo cant play hockey
A concern is that Eklund said Minny has interest and he is apparently "friends with Parise."

Wouldn't it be something to get spurned by two kids "going home!" Okposo went to Minn. but I'm not sure if he's from there. Still, would be hilarious story-line to play out again.

Some more:

Quote:
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Kyle Okposo
Coming off shoulder surgery that cost him half of 2010-11, Okposo's slow start last season was explainable. His current one, with two goals in the first half of this season, is less so. He's been playing with more confidence the past month with little to show for it, but he has the faith of his coaches and Garth Snow, who has rebuffed plenty of low-ball offers for the former first-round draft pick.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...medium=twitter

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
  #338
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
I'm going to post it on the main board.

Personally, I'd like to keep Fayne and it's probably one of the few deals I'd be open to doing.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
  #339
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
Wouldn't really wanna move Fayne. Suggested Okposo a few weeks ago and got laughed at hahah
I think you can move Fayne if you acquire a top 6 forward of similar age/cost.

Okposo is 24 This is year $2m. Next season will be season #3/$3m.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
  #340
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
That definitely isn't true.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/...ue-first-round

A mid first round pick is just as valuable as 2nd - 7th round picks combined.

With that said, scouts know very little. You could pick players simply based off junior PPG adjusted for age and do just as well if not better than NHL scouts over the long run.
good read that

åboriginal is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
  #341
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
I think you can move Fayne if you acquire a top 6 forward of similar age/cost.

Okposo is 24 This is year $2m. Next season will be season #3/$3m.
i ****ing hate okposo. i want him nowhere near this team. id seriously rather kaleta. hed be more useful.

åboriginal is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
  #342
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
i'd trade Fayne for Okposo in an instant
youve watched islander games right?

åboriginal is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
  #343
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
youve watched islander games right?
yeppers

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  #344
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
yeppers
ok, well then youve watched devil games then right?

åboriginal is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
  #345
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
ok, well then youve watched devil games then right?
like, New Jersey Devils games?

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  #346
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
like, New Jersey Devils games?
oh ****, wrong forum.

åboriginal is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
  #347
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
  #348
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
Because the standards of judging a successful pick are dumb haha.
Not really.

If a forward scores below 0.50 PPG, you can be 99% sure he is not a top caliber player. While the designation is fairly arbitrary, it does a decent job of showing where top offensive producers are picked in the draft (and they're predominantly picked in the first round).

Additionally, there is very limited value in successfully drafting 3rd and 4th line grinder/defensive forward types. These players are available every offseason for peanuts. Real drafting value comes from snagging top six forwards like Adam Henrique - premium guys that you can't just sign in free agency for under $2.0M.

Look no further than the current NJ Devils roster. Ryan Carter - waiver claim, now a decent third line contributor. Steve Bernier - AHL tryout, now a decent third line contributor. These players are not hard to find. However the Devils are sorely lacking top six scoring, and invariably those players are really hard to find.

So the real value in drafting forwards comes in getting guys who score above 0.50 PPG in the NHL, thus those standards for judging a successful forward pick are not dumb.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:22 PM
  #349
billingtons ghost
Registered User
 
billingtons ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Not really.

If a forward scores below 0.50 PPG, you can be 99% sure he is not a top caliber player. While the designation is fairly arbitrary, it does a decent job of showing where top offensive producers are picked in the draft (and they're predominantly picked in the first round).

Additionally, there is very limited value in successfully drafting 3rd and 4th line grinder/defensive forward types. These players are available every offseason for peanuts. Real drafting value comes from snagging top six forwards like Adam Henrique - premium guys that you can't just sign in free agency for under $2.0M.

Look no further than the current NJ Devils roster. Ryan Carter - waiver claim, now a decent third line contributor. Steve Bernier - AHL tryout, now a decent third line contributor. These players are not hard to find. However the Devils are sorely lacking top six scoring, and invariably those players are really hard to find.

So the real value in drafting forwards comes in getting guys who score above 0.50 PPG in the NHL, thus those standards for judging a successful forward pick are not dumb.

actually, I call b***s***t on that article. If it were to be true, the Bruins Habs and other successful teams would be nothing but 1st rounders. Fact is, the Bruins are built of second and 3rd rounders that exceeded expectations.

I think the article subscribes to the same thinking that makes the Rags suck every year - that you can buy yourself a Rick Nash and give up on the Prusts, Dubis, and Anisimovs of the world and still compete.

A pick and a round is just a number, and scouts in any sports are just guessing.

billingtons ghost is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
  #350
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
i'd consider getting an NHL regular out of a draft pick is a success

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.