HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Have Phoenix and/or current Winnipeg franchises any right to retire Selanne's number?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
  #26
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,568
vCash: 50
The Coyotes could try to retire Selanne's number. I know that they honoured some players that played for the Jets, but who didn't really play for Phoenix. I don't see either team retiring Selanne's number. Winnipeg already honoured him last December, so I don't expect anything more than that. I also don't expect Phoenix to do anything, either. Both clubs doing it would be pretty shallow.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
  #27
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Retiring numbers is dumb. Honor the man, not the jersey.
You surely don't mean that they should hang the man from the rafters, do you?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:10 PM
  #28
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado
 
Mathias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Since the Coyotes is the old Jets franchise, or you might say the real Jets franchise. They have every right to retire his jersey. It would look a bit silly however, just due to the fact that he never played for them after the move to the desert.

Why the new Jets would retire his jersey I have no idea. And it would look extremely odd to me. Simply because he never played for that franchise. I like that they honored him last season, so that the fans could express their thanks to him. But to retire his jersey... that would just be wrong.

To me, the only franchise that can retire his jersey, without it looking odd, is the Ducks.

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
  #29
bminucci
Registered User
 
bminucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Valley Village, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Nobody is going to retire Teemu's number because the man would have to retire first. "One more year!"

bminucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
  #30
Pay Carl
don't lose touch
 
Pay Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 10,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I think you missed the sarcasm , from my fellow Avs friend .
Haha, I hope so.

Now I feel stupid

Pay Carl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:30 PM
  #31
Pay Carl
don't lose touch
 
Pay Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 10,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
You surely don't mean that they should hang the man from the rafters, do you?
They should freeze Teemu in the ice in the Honda center so that when he dies so he can be brought back to life like Walt Disney

Pay Carl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:31 PM
  #32
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
They should freeze Teemu in the ice in the Honda center so that when he dies so he can be brought back to life like Walt Disney
Or put him in a block of ice hanging from the rafters...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
  #33
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMV View Post
Since the Coyotes is the old Jets franchise, or you might say the real Jets franchise. They have every right to retire his jersey. It would look a bit silly however, just due to the fact that he never played for them after the move to the desert.

Why the new Jets would retire his jersey I have no idea. And it would look extremely odd to me. Simply because he never played for that franchise. I like that they honored him last season, so that the fans could express their thanks to him. But to retire his jersey... that would just be wrong.

To me, the only franchise that can retire his jersey, without it looking odd, is the Ducks.
He played for the Winnipeg Jets. They are the Winnipeg Jets: What's the problem?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
  #34
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style
 
Shinsuke Nakamura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
He played for the Winnipeg Jets. They are the Winnipeg Jets: What's the problem?
Because they're not the same franchise.

Winnipeg Jets (1972-96) >>>>> Phoenix Coyotes

Atlanta Thrashers >>>>> Winnipeg Jets (2011-present)

It's like how the Ottawa Senators from 1917-34 are not the same as the Senators of today.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:03 PM
  #35
blamebettman*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,948
vCash: 500
Well Colorado retired Ray Bourque's number while the rest of the league laughed. next up is Jari Kurri for the avs

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:03 PM
  #36
Colt45Blast
It works every time!
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 50
Since #99 is retired with all of the NHL teams then yes Selanne's number can be retired with his origional franchise as well. I wouldn't see any reason why not seeing what he has done with the Jets. In addition Thomas Steen, Bobby Hull, and Dale Hawerchuk still have their numbers retired with this same franchise now in Phoenix and have never played one day as a member of the Phoenix Coyotes. Of course, if Selanne does have his number retired with the franchise in AZ it will be under the same colors of that of the old Jets franchise.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  #37
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
Because they're not the same franchise.

Winnipeg Jets (1972-96) >>>>> Phoenix Coyotes

Atlanta Thrashers >>>>> Winnipeg Jets (2011-present)

It's like how the Ottawa Senators from 1917-34 are not the same as the Senators of today.
But they are. As are the Canucks, and the future Supersonics and the Cleveland Browns.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:46 PM
  #38
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,158
vCash: 767
He played one full season and three partial ones for those Jets. Even if it was the same franchise, is that really worthy of number retirement?

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:52 PM
  #39
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
He's a Duck and will never be remembered as anything more.
I disagree. I always remember him as a Jet and his amazing rookie season.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:55 PM
  #40
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,077
vCash: 500
I think the Jets should do it.

To me I think the retiring of a number is done to show respect to a player that did good things for hockey in the region. Although Selanne never technically played for this version of the Jets; these are Jets fans and he's certainly considered a Jet. He did great things in Winnipeg and there'd be no better way for Winnipeg to show him respect than to retire his jersey.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
  #41
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 33,449
vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
He's a Duck and will never be remembered as anything more.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:00 PM
  #42
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,901
vCash: 460
I'd say they can and I'd have no problem with the Jets retiring his number. It doesn't really matter if he played for these Jets or the other Jets. He played some fantastic hockey in Winnipeg. And those fans who witnessed him play should be deserved of witnessing a jersey retirement if the organization so chooses. The "statistics" of his career may not be IN Winnipeg, but the memories are. And that is far more important than any statistic in my opinion or where that statistic "is".

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
  #43
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,901
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
He's a Duck and will never be remembered as anything more.
He'll always be a Jet first to me.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
  #44
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,261
vCash: 500
He only played three and a half seasons for the jets. Selannes a duck through and through.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
  #45
JetsFlyHigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
I dont think Winnipeg should "retire" it, whatever that means.

Anyways, Winnipeg has a special place in Selanne's heart, and Selanne has a special place in Winnipeg's heart. His rookie year, is THE ROOKIE YEAR. No one can surpass that.

But he will retire as a duck, so the ducks should "retire" his numbers.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:04 AM
  #46
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,501
vCash: 500
**** the haters.

The new jets are a continuation of the old jets. As a Winnipeg fan I really don't care what some Americans think. Same team.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
  #47
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ
 
Brent Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Coming in hot
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
Only two teams will probably consider retiring Selannes number. Anaheim rightfully so and Colorado.
Lol at CO, I think that went over everyone's head

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:15 AM
  #48
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 30,195
vCash: 1
I'd have nothing against the new Jets retiring Selanne's number as a way of honoring the city's past hockey history, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to actively do it.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:49 AM
  #49
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,568
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I'd have nothing against the new Jets retiring Selanne's number as a way of honoring the city's past hockey history, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to actively do it.
Give him a key to the city. He deserves it more than Gene Simmons. ****ing mayor of Winnipeg.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:00 AM
  #50
1994sec311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
The current WPG Jets are the spiritual successors to the original WPG Jets, as evidenced in part by their adopting the same name. The love that city feels for Selanne was quite evident in his return to Manitoba last year. He's as legendary a product as WPG has ever had, and I think they should retire his number.

1994sec311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.