HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Have Phoenix and/or current Winnipeg franchises any right to retire Selanne's number?

Old
03-16-2013, 01:28 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

vCash: 500
If the Yotes retire Selanne's number, I'll flip a *****. No way should we. While we're at it, we'll send the new Jets the Hull, Steen, and Hawerchuk banners too.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:34 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
You surely don't mean that they should hang the man from the rafters, do you?
Brilliant.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Syckle78

Not to be an ass and kick the Yotes, but... Why are we assuming the Phoenix franchise outlasts Selanne's
career?

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:43 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

No, only Anaheim has the right IMO.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Theres no need. Besides, he never played for Winnipeg as #8. He played as #13. I think it'd be great if we had some sort of area dedicated to him and other players from the previous incarnations of the jets, but as much as I admire and respect Teemu, the idea of retiring numbers is silly. Why should some kid be denied the #8 because Teemu was really good? Heck, Gretzky picked 99 as a tribute to Gordie Howe #9. This is a non-issue. Any team can retire any number for anybody for whatever reason they want. But will they? Unlikely.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:59 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Even though they shouldn't Winnipeg has the rights, not Phoenix

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:29 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I do not think Teemu'a number should be retired by Winnipeg. However, I do believe that he should be honoured in some way shape or form.

Whether they do a ring of honour in the main concourse or whatever...I think they need to honour him and his connection to the people of the city.

He is honestly a hero in the eyes of every Winnipegger. Everyone remembers where they were when he broke the record. Everyone has his rookie card stashed away somewhere. His importance to the city, even in his short time here, is and was unparalleled(in terms of athletes) the only other athlete that came close was Milt Stegall.

He was just so important to this and to hockey in this city that I think it would be a serious disservice to the people of Winnipeg to not honour him and his accomplishments that he had here and the relationship that he shared with Jets fans.

When he came to play here last year, there were 1500 fans waiting for him at the hotel at 3am in the freezing cold, and Teemu stayed up to meet with people and sign autographs and all that stuff. He also received a two minute long standing ovation at the game. It's pretty impressive that after 16yrs with no hockey and by all rights he could have been forgotten that this city still has so much love for the guy.

Also...I can't speak for other Jets fans....but the Jets are BACK. It's not a new team, they're back.

We also got the rights to the history from Bettman.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:42 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

The only number Coyotes should retire when the time comes is Doan. What comes to current Jets, their most goals per season is not by Selanne but Ilya Kovalchuk.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
The "statistics" of his career may not be IN Winnipeg, but the memories are.

Last edited by Elvs: 03-16-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Nolanitis

Tough call. I would have no problem with the new Jets retiring his number. The banners are for the fans, and the Old Winnipeg fans are the same as the new ones. He played in front of them, and set the rookie mark that might never be broken. So if the fans want the number in the rafters, they should be allowed too.

With that said, I don't think it makes a lot of sense for the Yotes to retire his number. The fans never saw him there.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Mulletman

Anaheim, Phoenix and Winnipeg should all retire both # 8 and # 13! That would be NHL history right there!

Mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:58 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
He played for the Winnipeg Jets. They are the Winnipeg Jets: What's the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
Because they're not the same franchise.

Winnipeg Jets (1972-96) >>>>> Phoenix Coyotes

Atlanta Thrashers >>>>> Winnipeg Jets (2011-present)

It's like how the Ottawa Senators from 1917-34 are not the same as the Senators of today.
Quote:
But they are. As are the Canucks, and the future Supersonics and the Cleveland Browns.
Agreed that they are the same franchise. The current owners of the Jets are more than happy to use the name in order to hoover up season tickets and merchandise and milk it as their own brand, so the least they can do is honor where it came from. There are people who have been cheering the "Winnipeg Jets" long before they were using the name to line their pockets.

Having said that, no, I don't think Selanne's number should be retired in Winnipeg.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Peter Tagli Eddie
All 3 of them?

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Theres no need. Besides, he never played for Winnipeg as #8. He played as #13. I think it'd be great if we had some sort of area dedicated to him and other players from the previous incarnations of the jets, but as much as I admire and respect Teemu, the idea of retiring numbers is silly. Why should some kid be denied the #8 because Teemu was really good? Heck, Gretzky picked 99 as a tribute to Gordie Howe #9. This is a non-issue. Any team can retire any number for anybody for whatever reason they want. But will they? Unlikely.
He did wear #8 for the jets. He switched from #13 when Carlyle retired.

Peter Tagli Eddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:40 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
**** the haters.

The new jets are a continuation of the old jets. As a Winnipeg fan I really don't care what some Americans think. Same team.
I'm not an American and the new Winnipeg Jets are not a continuation of the old Jets. Only Winnipeg fans who want to delude themselves into thinking that they never lost their team believe that. The current Winnipeg Jets are a continuation of the Atlanta Thrashers franchise and nothing else. In fact, I despise any attempts by the new Jets to leach onto a legacy that is not theirs. Other than the fact that the two teams happen to be based in the same city and have the same team nickname, there is no connection between the old Jets and the new Jets. If I was a fan of the old Jets, I would be happy to see the NHL back in Winnipeg, but offended by the attempts by the concept of that team having any connection to the former Jets.

So, if I move to Los Angeles and legally change my name to Heath Ledger, do I get to claim the late actor's work on my resume? Of course not, everyone would know that I am just trying to pretend to be the actor. Just like everyone knows that any connections that the current Winnipeg Jets (formerly the Atlanta Thrashers) try to draw to the old Jets are largely make believe, except for more general things like celebrating Winnipeg hockey heritage, for example.

If it's only the location that's important, what happens with cities with two teams. If the Islanders, say five years after they've moved to Brooklyn, decide to move to Albuquerque, do the New York Rangers suddenly get to claim all the Islanders history and records as their own?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
acor

Sure they have a right to retire his number. Minnesota Wild or Florida Panthers, if they want, are allowed to retire his number as well...

Quote:
The only number Coyotes should retire when the time comes is Doan. What comes to current Jets, their most goals per season is not by Selanne but Ilya Kovalchuk

That would be dullest thing ever, if Jets would retire Kovy number...

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:46 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Agreed that they are the same franchise. The current owners of the Jets are more than happy to use the name in order to hoover up season tickets and merchandise and milk it as their own brand, so the least they can do is honor where it came from. There are people who have been cheering the "Winnipeg Jets" long before they were using the name to line their pockets.

Having said that, no, I don't think Selanne's number should be retired in Winnipeg.
I think the two teams share a Winnipeg hockey heritage (and can certainly draw on that concept), but the Old Jets and the New Jets are two different franchises.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:56 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But they are. As are the Canucks, and the future Supersonics and the Cleveland Browns.
Actually, I will only give you the Supersonics and the Browns in this case. In both situations, the team names and records were left behind as part of the relocation deal. In all other cases that I know of, the history moves with the franchise.

Oh, well, I've never understand this delusion that a new team moving in and calling themselves by an old name is a continuation of the old team. As a Montreal Expos fan, I would love to see a return of major league baseball to Montreal, but I would not want to see that team adopt the Expos name or claim in any way to be a continuation of that franchise. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I would not cheer for them at all, if they attempted to do so.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:59 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Sure they have a right to retire his number. Minnesota Wild or Florida Panthers, if they want, are allowed to retire his number as well...

That would be dullest thing ever, if Jets would retire Kovy number...
Perhaps, but that is only because way too many fans prefer to maintain their delusions rather than honor the true history of their franchise.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
acor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Perhaps, but that is only because way too many fans prefer to maintain their delusions rather than honor the true history of their franchise.
Its was not "their" franchise. They had nothing to do with its previous history.
Their franchise was born in 2011. The same year Atlanta Thrashers died.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Given that both teams have been issuing #13, no.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow

Because of that patch, no. If the team considers themselves to be a new franchise, they don't "have any right" to retire jersey numbers from a different franchise.

03-16-2013, 10:17 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Okay, I'm confused.

Is it allowed to retire a number of a player even if he's not in your team?
Is it allowed to retire a number of a player even if it's an another franchise?
Is it allowed to retire a number of a player that never played for your city?

What are the OFFICIAL rules?

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:18 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
The Jets will not retire a number that belongs to somebody who never played for the team.
99...?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
acor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Okay, I'm confused.

Is it allowed to retire a number of a player even if he's not in your team?
Is it allowed to retire a number of a player even if it's an another franchise?
Is it allowed to retire a number of a player that never played for your city?

What are the OFFICIAL rules?
Everyone is allowed to retire anyone's number.
There are no official rules.
Isn't WG retired everywhere ? And he certainly didn't play for every team..