HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Have Phoenix and/or current Winnipeg franchises any right to retire Selanne's number?

Old
03-16-2013, 02:54 PM
b in vancouver

vCash: 500
I think the Jets could retire his number.
Selanne is like two separate players. His years as a Jet and then his post-lockout revitalization in Anaheim.
Just because you don't remember how much he meant to the Winnipeg franchise doesn't mean it wasn't there.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Selanne is like two separate players. His years as a Jet and then his post-lockout revitalization in Anaheim.
Just because you don't remember how much he meant to the Winnipeg franchise doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Uh, I think there's something to be said for the Selanne-Kariya heyday in Anaheim as well... That was his first stint in Anaheim and lasted nearly twice as long as his tenure in Winnipeg. It was also pretty legendary. Not trying to take anything away from Winnipeg, just emphasizing his pre-lockout success in Anaheim.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:59 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Neither does the League. Does their opinion not matter?
Well, the Jets honored Selanne last year so obviously they recognize the connection.

And when the Jets have the HC they'll wear the WHA jerseys not the Thrashers jerseys.

Within five years Hawerchuk and Hull will have their numbers honored or retired by the Jets.

The organization asked Bobby Hull if Evander Kane could wear no. 9.

The Jets current owner tried to purchase the team in '96.

It's just a manner of time until the old banners are put up.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:59 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
And yet, it's like you forgot the 5.5/6 seasons he played at Anaheim (before 04 lockout) with Kariya which was arguably the best duo in Anaheim history.

Anyway, don't really care what the Jets do in regards to honouring Teemu/number etc, he probably should be honoured for contributions to hockey in Winnipeg in general or something like this.

As long as anything they do in regards to that is done after Anaheim retires his number

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
That's not what I meant smart guy.

It was a comment to those saying "well Winnipeg's stats are in Phoenix, so blah blah blah". That comment had nothing to do with Anaheim.

Oh, and I can post pictures too:

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
acor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Oh, Jet's fans make the calls for the organization? News to me. Don't overestimate your importance. We are just fans.
"We are just fans"...So American...
We, Europeans use to say: We are THE FANS, and WE ARE most important people in organization (it means- in the team we are rooting for). Why ? Because without us there is NO TEAM, no "franchise", no "players", no nothing. We fund this business and rest of them is here JUST for sole purpose of our entertainment.

For who do you think these "retirement jersey ceremonies" are ? For players to fullify their ego ? For owners ? For mythical "franchise" ? NO, its for the FANS.

Thats the diffrence in our attitude. But if you Americans/Canadians wants to be reduced to popcorn chewing spectators, then...your business...

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
That's not what I meant smart guy.

It was a comment to those saying "well Winnipeg's stats are in Phoenix, so blah blah blah". That comment had nothing to do with Anaheim.

Oh, and I can post pictures too:

Well, I misinterpreted your previous post as well if that means anything.

I think we as Ducks fans just got sick of how (some) Jets fans kept telling us it was time to trade Teemu to let him retire a Jet. You can see how this would be frustrating, especially when the guy is the most important player in our franchise's history (and has played here a decade longer).

However, everyone can enjoy/celebrate Teemu, he means a lot to both teams and their fans

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
XX
... Waiting

The Coyotes have honored a number of Jets greats with a place in the ring of honor. Steen, Hawerchuck and Hull are up there. The Coyotes still honor all retired numbers from the original Jets. I'm not sure 4 years as a Jet qualifies for Selanne. I mean.. he had a pretty prolific career with other teams after being a Jet. So let the Ducks honor him, as they should. If for whatever reason the Coyotes wanted to honor a Jet that was great and went on to surefire HOF greatness, I wouldn't mind.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:50 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaheim View Post
Well, I misinterpreted your previous post as well if that means anything.

I think we as Ducks fans just got sick of how (some) Jets fans kept telling us it was time to trade Teemu to let him retire a Jet. You can see how this would be frustrating, especially when the guy is the most important player in our franchise's history (and has played here a decade longer).

However, everyone can enjoy/celebrate Teemu, he means a lot to both teams and their fans
I would never discredit Teemu's importance to Anaheim, and I would never say that he is more important to Winnipeg then Anaheim.

But he is important to Winnipeg as well as Anaheim.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote