HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Oilers - Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Doublechin

vCash: 500
Oilers - Islanders

to NYI: Nail Yakupov
to EDM: Frans Nielsen, Griffin Reinhart and compensatory pick (2nd pick if the Islanders fail to make the playoffs or a first if they do)

This gives the the Isles an elite first line sniper that will turn JT into a 100 point player. A Yakupov - JT - Moulson line will be a top 3 line in the eastern conference while also giving the Oilers a shutdown Dman that is almost NHL ready and an excellent third line center which they absolutely need along with a high draft pick.

I truly believe this trade helps both teams, as good as Yakupov might turn out to be the Oilers can't keep losing and they need to improve defensively more than anything so getting a solid two way center and a young shut down D is totally needed. On the other hand the Islanders have solid center and D depth with lots of incoming young players at both positions, this also gives them an opening for Ryan Strome.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Jack de la Hoya

This doesn't seem like a very good return for Edmonton.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:30 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Edmonton doesn't get enough, and the Isles don't do it anyway. No need for another winger with Strome expected to take that spot. Reinhart is our only prospect with 1st pairing upside, and is apparently pretty close to cracking the lineup. Isles can't afford to trade him.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:40 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
IMO the Isles easily do this, gives JT an elite winger, while still keeping all their core players.

Why on earth would the Oilers do this though? They could get much more for him from another team.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:48 AM
alpine4life

NO from EDM, return not even close to what Yakupov could return

Old
10-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Worraps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublechin View Post
to NYI: Nail Yakupov
to EDM: Frans Nielsen, Griffin Reinhart and compensatory pick (2nd pick if the Islanders fail to make the playoffs or a first if they do)

This gives the the Isles an elite first line sniper that will turn JT into a 100 point player. A Yakupov - JT - Moulson line will be a top 3 line in the eastern conference while also giving the Oilers a shutdown Dman that is almost NHL ready and an excellent third line center which they absolutely need along with a high draft pick.

I truly believe this trade helps both teams, as good as Yakupov might turn out to be the Oilers can't keep losing and they need to improve defensively more than anything so getting a solid two way center and a young shut down D is totally needed. On the other hand the Islanders have solid center and D depth with lots of incoming young players at both positions, this also gives them an opening for Ryan Strome.
No thanks.

A dearth of young defensemen isn't the Oilers problem at the moment. The lack of an NHL goaltender is.

Old
10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Counter: Tavares for Nurse, Boyd Gordon and a 2nd

Old
10-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Djp

Try Strome + Reinhardt as a starting point....

Old
10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Horseradish

To be honest, I don't think Reinhardt will be an impact NHLer. Too much of a stay-at-home to impact the game much more than a bottom pairing, maybe 2nd pairing during his prime, defender.

I'd love Nielsen, but you're not getting Yak with that package.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:01 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Tavares >> Yakupov
Reinhart > Nurse
Nielson > Gordon

But a 2nd will surely make up for that gap.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Well that's a definite yes from the Islanders.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Edmonton doesn't get enough, and the Isles don't do it anyway. No need for another winger with Strome expected to take that spot. Reinhart is our only prospect with 1st pairing upside, and is apparently pretty close to cracking the lineup. Isles can't afford to trade him.

I disagree with you that we have no need for another winger. First, we don't even know that Strome will break in as a winger (although that is certainly likely). Second, we don't really have any high level forwards in the system besides Strome. Yak would be a major, major upgrade and would represent an asset we badly need.

I also don't agree with you that Reinhart is the only dman with top pairing upside. Ryan Pulock has that potential too, and he had a spectacular camp.

That said, the Isles don't do this simply because they love Reinhart and Reinhart had a great camp too.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:28 PM
McJC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Tavares >> Yakupov
Reinhart > Nurse
Nielson > Gordon

But a 2nd will surely make up for that gap.
Really? Reinhart > Nurse? I've followed Reinhart with the Oil Kings and Nurse's offensive potential and skating are on another planet compared to Reinhart's. Nurse clearly has a dimension to his game that Reinhart just hasn't shown. And don't feed me the "oh, Reinhart's defence makes up for it" because it doesn't.

As for the trade, just horrible. Giving Yakupov for a marginal upgrade at 3C at best and a yet another shut down d-prospect, which we have tons of, would have the people of Edmonton wanting MacT's head on a plate lol. It isn't going to happen.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yeah, because Yak and Tavares are equivalent in trade value.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
theranfordflop

Yakupov, Gagner for 2014 1st, 2015 2nd, Brock Nelson, Calvin De Haan

Oilers get a decent fill in d-man who can jump in when injuries strike, and of course, a big, decent centerman with good upside who can play 3rd line and potentially 2nd line minutes.

Islanders get the two best players in the deal, a true sniper for Tavares' right side, and a true number 2 center, not to mention Tavares' BFF4L.

I know, I know, Islanders fans will be all, "there's no way we trade Nelson!"

And Oilers fans will be all, "Yakupov is worth one million 1sts!"

Old
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
SI90

Would love Yak but don't see why the Oilers would give him up...

Old
10-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Championship*

Gotta stop right when you get to the "Compensatory Pick" part.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Really? Reinhart > Nurse? I've followed Reinhart with the Oil Kings and Nurse's offensive potential and skating are on another planet compared to Reinhart's. Nurse clearly has a dimension to his game that Reinhart just hasn't shown. And don't feed me the "oh, Reinhart's defence makes up for it" because it doesn't.

As for the trade, just horrible. Giving Yakupov for a marginal upgrade at 3C at best and a yet another shut down d-prospect, which we have tons of, would have the people of Edmonton wanting MacT's head on a plate lol. It isn't going to happen.

Oh, we are going to play "my prospect is better than yours", are we?

Nurse's high in points was 42. Reinhart's is 36. Neither of them is ever going to be a major point producer in the NHL.

The are both good prospects for the 2/3 slot on a playoff team. I really have no idea who is going to be the better dman and suspect they are fairly close as prospects. But, to claim that Nurse's "skating and offense are on another planet" is just naked homerism.

As for the trade, I totally agree with you that Yak's trade value is much higher than this package, but to write off Reinhart as "just another shutdown prospect" is ridiculous. You don't have anybody close to that level, except maybe Nurse.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Yak City

Seen Reinhart play on many occasions - it was very rare that he'd be the best d-man on the ice, or even a clear top pairing d-man on the Oil Kings. Nothing against the Islanders, but from everything I've personally seen out of Reinhart I expect that the best he could wind up is about a Smid. This ignores the fact that pretty much all of the Oilers top prospects are d-men at this point, too.

The Oilers don't need to stockpile more picks - we need to start winning games now. The second-if-missing playoffs and first-if-make playoffs condition guarantees that the pick can be no higher than 15. A mid-first has value, but not a huge amount.

Nielsen is likely better than Gordon, I'll give you that. I don't think that the difference is extreme - and I don't think that a 3C should be the Oilers' primary target if they're trading one of the kids, anyways.

Essentially, you're asking for us to trade a recent first overall who led our team in goal-scoring last season for a marginal to medium upgrade at 3c and some average-quality magic beans. No dice.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Walter Kovacs

If we were going to trade Yak, I would want to see the proposal start with Hamonic and go from there.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Oh, we are going to play "my prospect is better than yours", are we?

Nurse's high in points was 42. Reinhart's is 36. Neither of them is ever going to be a major point producer in the NHL.

The are both good prospects for the 2/3 slot on a playoff team. I really have no idea who is going to be the better dman and suspect they are fairly close as prospects. But, to claim that Nurse's "skating and offense are on another planet" is just naked homerism.

As for the trade, I totally agree with you that Yak's trade value is much higher than this package, but to write off Reinhart as "just another shutdown prospect" is ridiculous. You don't have anybody close to that level, except maybe Nurse.
and the thread derail begins..
Nurse is a different player.. he had 115PIMs to go with his 41 pts last year. This year he already has 5pts in 5 GP with 10PIMs..
Reinhart was a trooper for Oilkings and should be a decent shut down Dman at NHL level.. Nurse has the potential to be more dynamic.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
and the thread derail begins..
Nurse is a different player.. he had 115PIMs to go with his 41 pts last year. This year he already has 5pts in 5 GP with 10PIMs..
Reinhart was a trooper for Oilkings and should be a decent shut down Dman at NHL level.. Nurse has the potential to be more dynamic.

Your opinion. I don't agree and neither do most pro scouts.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-cont...-Spotlight.pdf

Redline report basically rates his shot and puckhandling at average/below average. That is essentially how every single scouting report I've seen rates him.

What is exceptional about Nurse, is his mobility/size combination. The high end offense may develop, but it is not there yet.

He is not going to be "dynamic" at the NHL level - more like Cowen or Alzner when all is said and done.

And, he certainly is not in an entirely different league than Reinhart as you guys are arguing.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 10-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old
10-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Strome has to be a part of it for edmonton to consider it.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Your opinion. I don't agree and neither do most pro scouts...
by dynamic i mean more that just a stay at home Dman .. Nurse is in your face agressive and can skate like the wind. That is all I meant by Dynamic.

As for the OP.. both Oil and Isl are pretty much at the same level in development.
Oilers are set at forward position unless there is top 6 player that can pot in 30 and give you 100 hits \season. Nuge\Gagner and Gordon seem sufficient down the middle.. plenty of skill on the wing..

top pairing Dman or a legit franchise level goalie are the main needs especially if Yak is on the block. None available with Isles.

edit: based on the last couple games... Yakupov could be that forward who pots in 30 and gives 100+ hits.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
by dynamic i mean more that just a stay at home Dman .. Nurse is in your face agressive and can skate like the wind. That is all I meant by Dynamic.
I agree with this, to an extent. I certainly think he can be a big mobile in your face dman.

I don't see how that makes him more "dynamic" than Reinhart.

Quote:
As for the OP.. both Oil and Isl are pretty much at the same level in development.
Oilers are set at forward position unless there is top 6 player that can pot in 30 and give you 100 hits \season. Nuge\Gagner and Gordon seem sufficient down the middle.. plenty of skill on the wing..
Isles made the playoffs last year and EDM contended for worst overall. Not at the same level at all.

Quote:
top pairing Dman or a legit franchise level goalie are the main needs especially if Yak is on the block. None available with Isles.

edit: based on the last couple games... Yakupov could be that forward who pots in 30 and gives 100+ hits.
Reinhart and Pulock can both be top pairing.

Closed Thread