HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 08:03 PM
garmonbozia

vCash: 500
Buyouts

The suggestions of a Lecavalier buyout made me look a little deeper at numbers.

Lecavalier:
7yrs left = $45M dollars to be paid, 7.727x7= $54.089M total cap space *
6yrs = $35M , $46.382 *
5yrs = $25m , $38.635
4yrs = $15m , $30.908
3yrs = $6.5m , $23.101
2yrs = $2.5m , $15.454
1yr = $1m , $7.27

(* denotes amnesty buyout period)

Asking Vinik to pay $99m for $54m of production over the next 7 years seems unreasonable. If Vinny has a horrible year next year and they don't use both amnesty buyouts this offseason, then maybe, just maybe you could talk Vinik into eating $81m for $46m in assets over the following 6 years. But this offseason? Forget about it.

It seems far more likely we're chained to Lecavalier, for better or worse, for 3 or 4 more years until a normal non-amnesty buyout is a more palatable value. I don't think we'll ever trade him with the new potential to get back slapped with cap hit post trade, too risky.

In the more realistic buyout department;

Malone 2yrs left, $5m owed, $9m cap space
Brewer 2yrs left $7.75 owed, $7.75 cap space

Ohlund 3yrs left $6.75 owed, $10.821 cap space*
(not sure what his eligibility is wrt amnesty vs LTIR vs retirement etc.)

My final guess is barring being able to get anything at all for him by the draft, Malone will be bought out. I think they'll save the other buyout until next offseason if they ever use it at all.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:46 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
No chance Malone's contract is getting bought out. After this season his NMC turns into a limited NTC.

When he's on he's a beast. A lot of teams are looking for a guy with his size, hands and experience.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Both would be awesome, but to get Polak it would most likely cost us Johnson and a pick, though I would be okay with this return. Than buyout Brewer and our issues are fixed. If Lecavalier is injured Killorn could go play the 2nd C.
And I doubt Chicago will trade Hjalmarsson, they have no cap problems if they buyout Olesz and Montador, so they would have no reason to trade him.
Pouliot-Stammer-MSL
Killorn-Lecavalier-Purcell
Palat-Pyatt-Connolly
Crombeen-Thompson-Dominic Moore

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Polak
Aulie-Gudas
Barberio
There....filled that space for you.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:40 PM
I Am Beat You

^ This team won't be that soft.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
In my mind, if we add a real #1 D and everyone else gets bumped down a slot, we'll be in a nearly ideal position. Hedman's not a #1 yet, not sure he will ever be, so who'll be filling that role for us moving forward? Nobody we have now is suited for it and we have extra skill up front.
wut?

Old
04-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
In my mind, if we add a real #1 D and everyone else gets bumped down a slot, we'll be in a nearly ideal position. Hedman's not a #1 yet, not sure he will ever be, so who'll be filling that role for us moving forward? Nobody we have now is suited for it and we have extra skill up front.
Hedman is clearly a #1.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
^ This team won't be that soft.
There sure playing soft this year.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
There sure playing soft this year.
Well you would know

They have been better about that recently. Cooper has instilled a pack mentality mindset into the team and it's showing.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:29 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
Well you would know

They have been better about that recently. Cooper has instilled a pack mentality mindset into the team and it's showing.
Heh.

Moore coming back would be great. Consummate 3rd liner. But then again, we already have people who can fill that role. I'm just sentimental about Moore. I have no doubt SFY could bring him here.

I also definitely feel that another top pairing dman would do nothing but benefit this team. Knock everyone down a slot or two.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:39 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Problem is, number one defenders just generally aren't available. The last one I can remember that was, was Pronger. In a cap world, its just generally improbable that one will be available unless a GM really ***** the bed.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Problem is, number one defenders just generally aren't available. The last one I can remember that was, was Pronger. In a cap world, its just generally improbable that one will be available unless a GM really ***** the bed.
Pretty much. And even then, the Flyers only got one good year out of Pronger.

Our best bet is for Hedman to continue to develop at the pace he is. Keep learning from the likes of Salo..etc.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
That team is still soft. Mentality doesn't change who the players are. You've still got Crombeen having to fight heavies because the rest of the team is soft and no one can answer besides him.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:13 PM
CC321

Hey, we could clone Hedman. Slightly illegal, but if you don't tell, I won't either. Just send me a recently used sock, I'll take care of the rest. I'll tinker with the skin tone a bit so the NHL doesn't get suspicious. How does Jose Hernandes and Darnell Jones sound. Steve is good at finding unknown free agents anyway, the league will buy it. Problem solved.

Yes, cloning is safe. I'm actually a clone of myself, and I'm ok. Well, some people think I'm ok. Umm, well, ok, I'm not a good example, but the technique has gotten better since I was made last year, honest. He says intensely, as he speaks to the mirror...

Old
04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Hey, we could clone Hedman. Slightly illegal, but if you don't tell, I won't either. Just send me a recently used sock, I'll take care of the rest. I'll tinker with the skin tone a bit so the NHL doesn't get suspicious. How does Jose Hernandes and Darnell Jones sound. Steve is good at finding unknown free agents anyway, the league will buy it. Problem solved.

Yes, cloning is safe. I'm actually a clone of myself, and I'm ok. Well, some people think I'm ok. Umm, well, ok, I'm not a good example, but the technique has gotten better since I was made last year, honest. He says intensely, as he speaks to the mirror...
Victor Hedmondo.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:49 PM
LightningStrikes

There are a couple of interesting defensemen with pending UFA status: Streit, Scuderi, I. White, Hainsey, Clitsome, Zidlicky, ...

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder?position_id=D

Old
04-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
That team is still soft. Mentality doesn't change who the players are. You've still got Crombeen having to fight heavies because the rest of the team is soft and no one can answer besides him.
Crombeen very rarely fights heavyweights.

I agree that mentality is key, but personnel is obviously the other important factor.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:51 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
wut?
No, Hedman is not a #1 D in the NHL right now and he will not ever be. He's got the physical ability but has not put it together yet mentally. He's suited to be a #2, on the first pairing with someone awesome. Expecting greatness from him is unreasonable, he's not that guy. I've watched pretty much every game since his first in the league, still making a lot of the same mental errors.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
No, Hedman is not a #1 D in the NHL right now and he will not ever be. He's got the physical ability but has not put it together yet mentally. He's suited to be a #2, on the first pairing with someone awesome. Expecting greatness from him is unreasonable, he's not that guy. I've watched pretty much every game since his first in the league, still making a lot of the same mental errors.
You cannot be serious, this is a joke of a post.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Facebook fan I take it? He's 22 years old and already a top pairing dman.. ..how much better do you expect him to be at this Time in his age?

Old
04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
There are a couple of interesting defensemen with pending UFA status: Streit, Scuderi, I. White, Hainsey, Clitsome, Zidlicky, ...

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder?position_id=D
I think that Ian White would look solid with Tampa Bay when partnered with the right person, He was very solid last year when he was partnered with Nick Lidstrom. But since Lidstrom retired this past summer he seems to be more lost. He would be solid with Hedman. White is pretty similar to Sami Salo they both have a cannon for a shot.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:09 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
I think that Ian White would look solid with Tampa Bay when partnered with the right person, He was very solid last year when he was partnered with Nick Lidstrom. But since Lidstrom retired this past summer he seems to be more lost. He would be solid with Hedman. White is pretty similar to Sami Salo they both have a cannon for a shot.
A vast majority of the plugs in the AHL would look competent playing next to one of the best D to ever lace up skates...

Old
04-13-2013, 09:14 PM
MattM92

Quote:
I like Hedman but being Swedish is where the comparisons should end. Hedman is not anywhere close to being Nicklas Lidstrom

Old
04-13-2013, 09:17 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Facebook fan I take it? He's 22 years old and already a top pairing dman.. ..how much better do you expect him to be at this Time in his age?
Norris Trophy candidate and a 70 point+, shutdown defenseman.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:38 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
He's 22 years old and already a top pairing dman.. ..how much better do you expect him to be at this Time in his age?
Uh, 4 years in the league, doesn't matter if he's 22 or not. He has not upped his physicality sufficiently around the net. He still forces questionable passes out of the D zone. On tonight's game winning goal, he chose to let the shooter with by far the best angle have the best shooting lane (Green open in the middle from 15 feet, while Hedman chose to cover the forward who was about to run into Garon). He CONSTANTLY makes errors like that. If that's the definition of a top D around here, we're effed.

I think we've got a lot of people in denial. Hedman has the physical skills but is not mentally at that level and most likely will never be. We need to be willing to pay up for a proven, veteran #1 D. Brewer has to be thrown out like yesterday's paper, ditto for uh, several other of our D.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:40 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Norris Trophy candidate and a 70 point+, shutdown defenseman.
How many of those are in the league?

Closed Thread