HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Must. Keep. Palat.

Hasn't Orpik been awful this year?
If the Lightning are committed to getting a physical veteran defensive defenseman for their top 4 next year via trade, I don't imagine they'll be able to get it done with a prospect any worse than Palat.

Hell, Palat as a centerpiece probably wouldn't get it done with any other team.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
He underperformed this year. So did Murray. And Regehr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Again, it's entirely dependent on whether we'd be able to move Brewer out of our team first. If Brewer stays, unfortunately we can't fit Orpik into our team, despite how much of an upgrade he'd be to our top 4.

It's not that Palat and 2nd is unreasonable, but that you've also likely not seen him play much this season, nor followed him during his time with the Crunch. His value is likely as high as a late first since he'd be able to step into a NHL line-up immediately next season and not be a liability. If you're going along the basis of two 2nd round picks, Palat and a 3rd round pick would be closer. Also, you have to consider that our 2nd round picks are basically first rounders.
Meh, I think I'd prefer two 2nds out of conference and knowing that we wouldn't play Orpik 4 times a year. Thanks for the input though, and good luck on the physical top 4 defenseman hunt.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:30 PM
HoseEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If the Lightning are committed to getting a physical veteran defensive defenseman for their top 4 next year via trade, I don't imagine they'll be able to get it done with a prospect any worse than Palat.

Hell, Palat as a centerpiece probably wouldn't get it done with any other team.
Oh, I agree with you. I am just a huge Palat fan, is all. I think Palat and a second/third would be a good deal for both teams.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Oh, I agree with you. I am just a huge Palat fan, is all. I think Palat and a second/third would be a good deal for both teams.
Cool man. I figured any fan of Krabs would be shrewd negotiator.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:35 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
The point of contention would be what year that 2nd was from. For example, I would not trade Palat and a 2nd for this year's draft. However, I might be willing to gamble Palat and a 2nd in next year's draft.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
The point of contention would be what year that 2nd was from. For example, I would not trade Palat and a 2nd for this year's draft. However, I might be willing to gamble Palat and a 2nd in next year's draft.
That would be reasonable considering Tampa's place in the standings this year. We're just trying to recoup one of the 2nds we gave up in the Murray deal.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:41 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
That would be reasonable considering Tampa's place in the standings this year. We're just trying to recoup one of the 2nds we gave up in the Murray deal.
I took the original counter offer as a 2nd in this year's draft, which is why I was reluctant to basically give up the equivalent of two late 1st round picks for Orpik. If we get a full season of Orpik, that 2nd next year undoubtedly becomes a mid to maybe late 2nd round pick, which makes it more bearable to part with, especially when you consider how deep this draft is supposed to be.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:41 PM
HoseEmUp

Quote:
True, it is a deep draft this year, and our second would be pretty high...

Old
04-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
I took the original counter offer as a 2nd in this year's draft, which is why I was reluctant to basically give up the equivalent of two late 1st round picks for Orpik. If we get a full season of Orpik, that 2nd next year undoubtedly becomes a mid to maybe late 2nd round pick, which makes it more bearable to part with, especially when you consider how deep this draft is supposed to be.
Understandable. Sounds like there's the basis for a deal here though.

Now about getting Shero and Yzerman's attention...

Old
04-20-2013, 11:58 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Understandable. Sounds like there's the basis for a deal here though.

Now about getting Shero and Yzerman's attention...
What's more astonishing is that Kucherov has 21 points in 11 playoff games, while MacKinnon has 19 in 9 games and Drouin 20 in 9. And to think, we're just outside of a top 3 pick right now if we don't win the lottery...

To your original hope of getting Kucherov for Orpik, unfortunately there's no way. However, I wouldn't mind Palat and a 2nd in 2014. Don't worry SFY reads HFboards, no need to go out of your way to get his attention.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
What's more astonishing is that Kucherov has 21 points in 11 playoff games, while MacKinnon has 19 in 9 games and Drouin 20 in 9. And to think, we're just outside of a top 3 pick right now if we don't win the lottery...

To your original hope of getting Kucherov for Orpik, unfortunately there's no way. However, I wouldn't mind Palat and a 2nd in 2014. Don't worry SFY reads HFboards, no need to go out of your way to get his attention.
Age obviously plays a part when evaluating their respective production, but Kucherov's still a prospect to be real excited about. I wouldn't have wanted him otherwise, haha.

Lightning look to be set up for years on the wing. I envy your forward pipeline.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:13 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Age obviously plays a part when evaluating their respective production, but Kucherov's still a prospect to be real excited about. I wouldn't have wanted him otherwise, haha.

Lightning look to be set up for years on the wing. I envy your forward pipeline.
says the guy who has what we are hoping to one day achieve.

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Morrow, Sutter and Iginla. Granted ours are mostly all developed in-house, but who cares about your pipeline?! Crosby and Malkin alone are enough to basically bring a team to the playoffs...

Old
04-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
says the guy who has what we are hoping to one day achieve.

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Morrow, Sutter and Iginla. Granted ours are mostly all developed in-house, but who cares about your pipeline?! Crosby and Malkin alone are enough to basically bring a team to the playoffs...
Well, you know. I'm greedy like that.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Must. Keep. Palat.

Yeah, trading Palat would not be a good choice.

I would not trade him for Orpik, if you want JT Brown and a 2nd, I'm all for it

Old
04-21-2013, 11:03 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

DC is speculating on us trading for Yandle:

Quote:
(...) That leaves the trade route, and that is where Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman can deal from strength. He said as much after he sent rookie Cory Conacher to the Senators for goaltender Ben Bishop at the trade deadline and indicated there is enough organizational depth at forward to use as bait in additional deals.

Prominent in trade speculation at the deadline was Phoenix defenseman Keith Yandle, who had 22 goals, 102 points the previous two seasons and entering Saturday had nine goals, 24 points in 43 games.

He is expensive, with $16.5 million owed the next three seasons, and with Tampa Bay only $2.6 million under next season's $64.3 million salary cap, this probably is more a mental exercise than anything. But the Coyotes, given their financial situation, might be motivated sellers and willing to take some salary back, and the Lightning can create cap room with perhaps a contract buyout and the expected shedding, in some fashion, of the contract of injured defenseman Mattias Ohlund.

And with organizational depth at forward that includes Brett Connolly, J.T. Brown, Tyler Johnson, Nikita Kucherov, Ondrej Palat, Richard Panik and Tanner Richard — not to mention substantial depth at goaltender — Tampa Bay has attractive assets to deal.

So, it can do something. Actually, it must.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...efense/2116436

Old
04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
Yeah, trading Palat would not be a good choice.

I would not trade him for Orpik, if you want JT Brown and a 2nd, I'm all for it
Oh man, what a steal for Yzerman.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
The YzerJesus
#Bishlevski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
DC is speculating on us trading for Yandle:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...efense/2116436
If we got Yandle, I would be ecstatic. I'd be fine with giving up any of those assets too. Gotta give to get. Shame we couldn't land him when he was a free agent.

Wasn't he? It was either last year or the year before...

Anyway, Yandle is one hell of a defenseman, and he fits the team. Classy as ****. Yzerman only seems to want those kind of people. Classy anyway.

EDIT: I saw this on the Lightning's Facebook fan page, and I just had to share:

Since some of you are bashing Lindback this morning lets look at some stats: Lindbacks save percentage ( the only stat that is an individual stat you can judge a goaltender on by the way), is .903. Boy that really suck? He's: Tied with some schlub named Martin Brodeur at .903, better than some bum named J. Quick, .901, Jaroslav Halak, at .899, Price at, .905, Pavelec, .905. Cam Ward at .906. In case anyone is wondering Ben Bishop is sitting at .920 for the season, which sits him 8th in the league for goaltenders playing 20 games or more. Its not the goaltending people its the girly man defense SY has put together.. Let's put the blame where it should be.

I lost it at girly man defense.

Last edited by The YzerJesus: 04-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old
04-21-2013, 12:05 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
If we got Yandle, I would be ecstatic. I'd be fine with giving up any of those assets too. Gotta give to get. Shame we couldn't land him when he was a free agent.

Wasn't he? It was either last year or the year before...

Anyway, Yandle is one hell of a defenseman, and he fits the team. Classy as ****. Yzerman only seems to want those kind of people. Classy anyway.

EDIT: I saw this on the Lightning's Facebook fan page, and I just had to share:

Since some of you are bashing Lindback this morning lets look at some stats: Lindbacks save percentage ( the only stat that is an individual stat you can judge a goaltender on by the way), is .903. Boy that really suck? He's: Tied with some schlub named Martin Brodeur at .903, better than some bum named J. Quick, .901, Jaroslav Halak, at .899, Price at, .905, Pavelec, .905. Cam Ward at .906. In case anyone is wondering Ben Bishop is sitting at .920 for the season, which sits him 8th in the league for goaltenders playing 20 games or more. Its not the goaltending people its the girly man defense SY has put together.. Let's put the blame where it should be.

I lost it at girly man defense.
Yandle would be outstanding on our PP as the primary puck mover and as the point man with his accurate canon of a shot, while his mobility and offensive instincts would be a huge upgrade to our top 4. His defensive game is steadily improving, but he's not a physical defenseman by any means. He'd likely play with Hedman on the first pairing, with Salo slotting in with Carle on the 2nd pairing.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring a player of Yandle's caliber in, even if it meant trading Connolly and a pick or a combo of Palat, Brown and a pick.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:26 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Personally, I'm not as high on Yandle as many others are.

if he was available, the price would be high. Very high. Not sure what Coyotes would want. Are they going for re-toll or contention? But I think they'd look for top6 C to come back.

Buy you have to give to get. I think he'd complement Hedman well, other than the fact he's lefty.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

I'm not that high on Yandle either. I think he'll be too expensive. And as was mentioned, Yandle is not a physical defenseman, he's more of an offensive dman. Do we really need more offense?

Old
04-21-2013, 02:11 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
I'm not that high on Yandle either. I think he'll be too expensive. And as was mentioned, Yandle is not a physical defenseman, he's more of an offensive dman. Do we really need more offense?
The more time you spend in offensive zone, the less time you have to spend in your own zone.

Yandle would help the transition game. PP. Would push some guys down the depth chart. Would give Carle solid Dman in Salo what would help his game.

But as I said, the price is high and imo there would be better options.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I Am Beat You

Acquiring Yandle would probably mean the end of Matt Carle.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:14 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
Acquiring Yandle would probably mean the end of Matt Carle.
No one would take that contract unless Stevie takes bad contract back.

Does Vinik want to spend over 18 mil. (if bought out this summer) or almost 15 mil (if bought out after next season) on it? Vinik is rich but that's a lot of dough.

But.. if he sucks next year.. it has to be in consideration.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I'll pass on Orpik - like him, but with his style of play I get the impression he'll break down sooner than later.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
No one would take that contract unless Stevie takes bad contract back.

Does Vinik want to spend over 18 mil. (if bought out this summer) or almost 15 mil (if bought out after next season) on it? Vinik is rich but that's a lot of dough.

But.. if he sucks next year.. it has to be in consideration.
That's not necessarily true. He's not that bad. The price is a little high on his contract, but a desperate team will take him. Heck, a team might even pay for Brewer.

Closed Thread