HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 05:59 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
That's not necessarily true. He's not that bad. The price is a little high on his contract, but a desperate team will take him. Heck, a team might even pay for Brewer.
Any team desperate enough to do that should be lined up and executed

Old
04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
Any team desperate enough to do that should be lined up and executed
Like... the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I'll pass on Orpik - like him, but with his style of play I get the impression he'll break down sooner than later.
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but wouldn't the same line of thinking apply to any physical veteran defenseman?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:45 PM
I Am Beat You

A veteran defenseman on the decline, just what we need!

Old
04-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but wouldn't the same line of thinking apply to any physical veteran defenseman?
Well of course, and you're absolutely right. I'm still a little gun shy after Mattias and getting him at roughly the same age and watching his knees fall apart.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
ArmchairGoalie

I wish this season would hurry up and end. Seems like the offseason could be very interesting.

My hope is we dump Malone and Brewer (either via trade or buyout), Ohland retires, we trade for Yandle and draft Jones.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:47 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Why not trade the 1st round pick + x for a legit D?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
I don't think that really SFY's MO though, is it? I mean unless is was an offer he really couldn't refuse, I don't see us trading away our first rounder this year. It's extremely valuable.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

Crossing fingers for Lottery win. Also isn'ta the lottery in a week?

Old
04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
Our first round pick is VERY valuable (assuming top 3), and I don't think there are many Dmen out there worth the price. Especially if we're in a position to draft Jones.

Also, what legit D would be available worth that astronomical price? They would have to be young (under 25 easily) and elite to be worth it, and the handful of guys that qualify as that (OEL, Subban, Karlsson) are worth way more and are definitely not on the block.

Plus, #2 is probably going to be good for Jones, considering I can't see Florida passing up a chance to have MacKinnon/Huberdeau for the next 10+ years. And Jones projects to be a studly stud, and could give us two studly stud D for a long time, complete with a stud goaltender in the pipeline (and two not bad options currently in net), a deep forward prospect pool and a few legit stars... I say we keep that pick.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Our first round pick is VERY valuable (assuming top 3), and I don't think there are many Dmen out there worth the price. Especially if we're in a position to draft Jones.

Also, what legit D would be available worth that astronomical price? They would have to be young (under 25 easily) and elite to be worth it, and the handful of guys that qualify as that (OEL, Subban, Karlsson) are worth way more and are definitely not on the block.

Plus, #2 is probably going to be good for Jones, considering I can't see Florida passing up a chance to have MacKinnon/Huberdeau for the next 10+ years. And Jones projects to be a studly stud, and could give us two studly stud D for a long time, complete with a stud goaltender in the pipeline (and two not bad options currently in net), a deep forward prospect pool and a few legit stars... I say we keep that pick.
Well I really really hop FLA takes Mackinnon. Jones is a righty and I can't imagine many D pairings that could be better than Hedman-Jones.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:05 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
The only way I trade that pick is if we get a defenseman like Shea Weber. Otherwise, fahgettt abahhttt itt (Italian accent).

I love the potential of another elite top talent like Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin joining our young core.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 04-22-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
With our cap situation, I don't think we can afford to add salary, so would need to be somebody extremely affordable to consider parting with the pick. Would we be able to find somebody as good as jones for the salary he'd be getting? He's probably one off season bulk away from be ready to step in and contribute. Hes be better than Hedman was his first season at least.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
With our cap situation, I don't think we can afford to add salary, so would need to be somebody extremely affordable to consider parting with the pick. Would we be able to find somebody as good as jones for the salary he'd be getting? He's probably one off season bulk away from be ready to step in and contribute. Hes be better than Hedman was his first season at least.
That's assuming we'll get the #1 pick. Or at least #2 plus a ******** of luck. I can't imagine Jones going later than #2.

Here's another thought: Let's say we get #3. What would it take to trade up?

Old
04-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
That's assuming we'll get the #1 pick. Or at least #2 plus a ******** of luck. I can't imagine Jones going later than #2.

Here's another thought: Let's say we get #3. What would it take to trade up?
Next to impossible, except maybe to #1 (Colorado wouldn't trade down... I get the feeling they REALLY want Jones). Florida would want our 1st (they could probably still snag MacKinnon) and either another high pick or one of our top prospects. But thinking about it... it's not something I would be against. We have a logjam of skilled forwards, and getting Jones could be HUGE for us. It could also be a move that people look back to ten years from now and say "WTF was Tampa thinking?"

Old
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

I disagree with most on here that's it's Jones or bust for the top 3 picks. Defensemen take longer to develop and mature as players and many highly regarded defensemen never ending up having the impact they were expected to at the pro level. In fact, there are numerous examples of defensemen taken later in the 1st round or in later rounds who have gone on to be more successful than those ranked highly.

I'm of the mindset that an elite defenseman can be found later in the draft, where as elite level forwards are increasingly difficult to find outside of the first round. However, I do believe that adding a high potential defenseman would complement our current crop of prospects better than a forward would.

With that said, I still want MacKinnon or Drouin over Jones but maybe it's because I know Jones will likely be off the board by the time we pick. Either way, our 2nd round pick should definitely be a defenseman.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Muller, Santini, Bowey, Thompson, Theodore, McCoshen, Morin, Vanelli, Valiyev are all defensemen who could be drafted with our 2nd round pick. Even players like Hagg and Morrissey could fall in the draft.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I disagree with most on here that's it's Jones or bust for the top 3 picks. Defensemen take longer to develop and mature as players and many highly regarded defensemen never ending up having the impact they were expected to at the pro level. In fact, there are numerous examples of defensemen taken later in the 1st round or in later rounds who have gone on to be more successful than those ranked highly.

I'm of the mindset that an elite defenseman can be found later in the draft, where as elite level forwards are increasingly difficult to find outside of the first round. However, I do believe that adding a high potential defenseman would complement our current crop of prospects better than a forward would.

With that said, I still want MacKinnon or Drouin over Jones but maybe it's because I know Jones will likely be off the board by the time we pick. Either way, our 2nd round pick should definitely be a defenseman.
We really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Remember guys, with a top 3 pick you do BPA, not need. And I'll be honest when I say that I think Drouin will be the best of the 3.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
TBLHoser

If it's a top 3 pick and Drouin is available, I think it's a no brainer. Yes, we do have plenty of good forwards, but they can also be good assets in acquiring a good shut-down corner (Revis reference).

Old
04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
We really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Remember guys, with a top 3 pick you do BPA, not need. And I'll be honest when I say that I think Drouin will be the best of the 3.
But if the general perception is the top 3 are in a tier of their own, surely picking Jones would be BPA?

Old
04-22-2013, 07:15 PM
2 Weekes Notice

I certainly understand the reasoning for taking a forward in the top 3 (and don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to bring home MacK or Drouin), but a truly elite defenseman has the ability to change the face of a franchise like nothing else. Yes, you can find them later (though the odds of bagging Lidstrom in the 2nd are maybe matched by getting Datsyuk in the 7th), but the two other franchise rocks of the last 20 years, Niedermayer and Pronger, went in the top 3. If Seth Jones even has a shot at Pronger upside (which is a really popular comparison), that's a franchise-defining pick.

tl;dr One of the forwards is a safer bet but pairing a Jones that pans out with Stamkos and Hedman is the recipe for a dynasty.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:23 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
I certainly understand the reasoning for taking a forward in the top 3 (and don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to bring home MacK or Drouin), but a truly elite defenseman has the ability to change the face of a franchise like nothing else. Yes, you can find them later (though the odds of bagging Lidstrom in the 2nd are maybe matched by getting Datsyuk in the 7th), but the two other franchise rocks of the last 20 years, Niedermayer and Pronger, went in the top 3. If Seth Jones even has a shot at Pronger upside (which is a really popular comparison), that's a franchise-defining pick.

tl;dr One of the forwards is a safer bet but pairing a Jones that pans out with Stamkos and Hedman is the recipe for a dynasty.
Not sure about this. The closest thing to a dynasty right now are both Chicago and Pittsburgh. Neither team have 2 "elite" defensemen and each have 1 (Letang and Keith, while Seabrook is debatable) but two or more elite forwards (Pitt - Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Iginla is very good maybe not elite & Chicago - Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp is also very good but maybe not elite).

What those teams do have is an understanding of how to play team defense, in addition to neutral zone and forechecking schemes that are effective.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 04-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Not sure about this. The closest thing to a dynasty right now are both Chicago and Pittsburgh. Neither team have 2 "elite" defensemen and each have 1 (Letang and Keith) but two or more elite forwards (Pitt - Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Iginla is very good maybe not elite & Chicago - Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp is also very good but maybe not elite).

What those teams do have is an understanding of how to play team defense, in addition to neutral zone and forechecking schemes that are effective.
Both of those teams have won a cup. They're competitive every year, but...

The 3 best defensemen of the last 20 years (Prongs, Niedermayer and Lidstrom for me) combined for 13 Finals appearances over their careers. They weren't the only stars on those teams, but neither would be Jones.

We've got the star forward, and more coming up the line. We've got a shot to close the circle if we're in place to pick Jones, IMO.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
But if the general perception is the top 3 are in a tier of their own, surely picking Jones would be BPA?
How so? The only reason we are so high on Jones is because we desperately need defense. If we desperately needed offense, we'd be all over Drouin or MacKinnon. All 3 are elite tier prospects, so between those three draft BPA, not need.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:43 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Quote:
Not sure about this. The closest thing to a dynasty right now are both Chicago and Pittsburgh. Neither team have 2 "elite" defensemen and each have 1 (Letang and Keith, while Seabrook is debatable) but two or more elite forwards (Pitt - Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Iginla is very good maybe not elite & Chicago - Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp is also very good but maybe not elite).

Seabrook is elite in my eyes, along with Keith. That is a fantastic pairing. Chicago's offense I would consider as elite as ours.

Closed Thread