HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
Droun - Stamkos - St. Louis
Killorn - Lecavalier - Connolly
Pouliot - Johnson - Panik
Pyatt - Thompson - Crombeen

I wish we could fit more people in here, I want to see Killorn and Palat play on the same line with Lecavalier but I don't think It'll happen.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:57 AM
MattM92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Droun - Stamkos - St. Louis
Killorn - Lecavalier - Connolly
Pouliot - Johnson - Panik
Pyatt - Thompson - Crombeen

I wish we could fit more people in here, I want to see Killorn and Palat play on the same line with Lecavalier but I don't think It'll happen.
Rather have Palat over Pouliot

Old
05-05-2013, 06:13 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Replacing all of our under-achieving regulars with prospects is the fast track to playoff success.
? If so, I agree.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Steve Yzerman
PLAYOFFS!

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Rather have Palat over Pouliot
All-rookie line, eh?

Old
05-05-2013, 10:52 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
All-rookie line, eh?
The all rookie line was our best one for a while this year.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Crabby Williams
The key of it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
? If so, I agree.
Yeah, it was sarcastic.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Jacko95

My bet on our forwrds:

Drouin-Stamkos-MSL
Killorn-Lecavalier-Purcell/Connolly
Connolly/Palat-Johnson-Panik/Connolly
Pyatt-Thompson-Crombeen
Labrie

Pouliot will be gone (maybe to somebody for a 5th rounder? ) and if Purcell is traded, all three of Palat, Panik and Connolly will get a spot, otherwise I think Connolly or Panik will go back down.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
My bet on our forwrds:

Drouin-Stamkos-MSL
Killorn-Lecavalier-Purcell/Connolly
Connolly/Palat-Johnson-Panik/Connolly
Pyatt-Thompson-Crombeen
Labrie

Pouliot will be gone (maybe to somebody for a 5th rounder? ) and if Purcell is traded, all three of Palat, Panik and Connolly will get a spot, otherwise I think Connolly or Panik will go back down.
I like the look of your lines, but feel as though Marty may shift down to play with Vinny and Killorn may bump up to the first unit for some size/board play. There's no reason to believe Marty will slow down significantly any time soon if you use Selanne as the measuring stick; Teemu still looks amazing out there and has barely lost a step in the speed department.

Also, I think Palat-TJ-Panik is an outstanding third line that offers great two-way awareness, and a nice blend of scoring, grit and speed. I'd like to see some prospects + Teddy bundled together in a deal for a top 4 dman if possible. If Connolly is not traded, then naturally he'd play on the wing with Vinny and Marty.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
CoopThereItIs
Here we go Lightning

vCash: 50
Why does everybody want Pouliot gone? He was one of our best forwards for quite some time. Toward the end he didn't look so hot, but still, he was good for us. Is it because the Cuse kids make him redundant? In my opinion, if you ice a team that is 3/4ths rookies, you're going to have a bad time.

http://tbo.com/list/news-columns/fen...on-b82487775z1

Decent article.

Quote:
“I'm coming to make the playoffs,” Jon Cooper said. He said he told Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, “I'm really going to try to screw up your draft pick.”

This week, a few days after the Lightning ended their season, 28th in the league, and on the day the NHL playoffs began, Cooper sat in the players lounge at the Forum. He made a wry smile. Get used to that.

“You guys got it all wrong,” Cooper said. “If you really look into the code of what I was saying, what I really meant was, 'I'm going to run this team into the ground so we can get as great a draft pick as possible.'”

Quote:
“If you've asked anybody I've coached before, we play really hard and we're really hard to play against,” Cooper said. “This [the Lightning] might be the easiest team to play against in the league.”

Soft?

“Use your own adjectives,” Cooper said. “There are teams in our new division next year that are probably salivating over that, that they get to play us.”
Quote:
“You don't have to fight, you just have to be willing to. The other team has to know that. You don't have to go into the corner and blow somebody up. You just have to be willing to do it. The other team has to know, and when they know, it changes the way they play.

“It takes a really high commitment, because it pulls players out of their comfort level. We're comfortable right now. This team is really comfortable. They don't want these results, but they're comfortable with them. I look at some of the players we have and I think we have a bunch of really, really good guys. But at some point some of them are going to have to grow a little dirt under their nails.”

Last edited by CoopThereItIs: 05-05-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 02:23 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Good read. It'll be interesting to see how he goes about making us harder to play against. I think we've all talked about adding some sandpaper via free agency or trade, but it sounds like he believes there's some latent toughness on this roster for him to squeeze out. He maximized it in his AHL players.

At least our goalie has dropped the gloves with success before

Old
05-05-2013, 11:40 PM
sbears
#goboltsgobears

Send a message via AIM to sbears
Good read. Should be an interesting summer! I have faith in Coop, he hasn't even started yet really. What could he possibly do in such a short time without any practices to speak of.

Really looking forward to next season.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:51 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
Good read. Should be an interesting summer! I have faith in Coop, he hasn't even started yet really. What could he possibly do in such a short time without any practices to speak of.

Really looking forward to next season.
Exactly. Most of our roster was around for all of the Boucher era, and his style is much different from Cooper's. Expecting Cooper to change much in 15 games with a handful of practices after Boucher had ~200 games to instill his system is unreasonable.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:19 AM
I Am Beat You

Lots of toughness available.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Pronounced Anders
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I've been thinking about targets for us to go after and came up with four good trading partners based on mutual need and depth.

Phoenix: Klesla, Gormley, Rundblad
Nashville: Josi, Blum, Ellis
St. Loius: Polak, Shattenkirk
New Jersey: Fayne

Not all of them have the right skillset short term, but all would be great for our depth and could be had without selling the farm or leaving us in cap hell.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
I've been thinking about targets for us to go after and came up with four good trading partners based on mutual need and depth.

Phoenix: Klesla, Gormley, Rundblad
Nashville: Josi, Blum, Ellis
St. Loius: Polak, Shattenkirk
New Jersey: Fayne

Not all of them have the right skillset short term, but all would be great for our depth and could be had without selling the farm or leaving us in cap hell.
Great list. I would likely omit Shattenkirk and Josi as they are likely out of our reach if we're not willing to sell the farm. Both players are young and seen as key pieces in the future (Shattenkirk as a top 5 scoring dman and Josi as a top pairing dman).

To further complement your list:

Chicago - Hjalmarsson
New Jersey - Greene
Philadelphia - Grossman
Pittsburgh - Orpik
San Jose - Demers, Braun
Toronto - Franson, Gunnarsson
Washington - Alzner
UFA - Clitsome, Ference, Fistric, Leopold, Scuderi.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
zeus3007*

Just wondering if you guys have any idea about what Yzerman is thinking at the draft. Jonathan Drouin is ranked to go third, but with the top end offense the Lightning have, and the weakness on the blueline, is it possible for Yzerman to trade down a spot or two and pass on Drouin and instead draft a guy like Darnell Nurse (currently ranked 4th among NA skaters)? Or might he just go off the board and take Nurse? Or will they draft Drouin and groom him to be Marty St. Louis' replacement? Just curious as looking at the draft, its pretty obvious what most teams will be doing, but not Tampa as they seem to have a few interesting options.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Just wondering if you guys have any idea about what Yzerman is thinking at the draft. Jonathan Drouin is ranked to go third, but with the top end offense the Lightning have, and the weakness on the blueline, is it possible for Yzerman to trade down a spot or two and pass on Drouin and instead draft a guy like Darnell Nurse (currently ranked 4th among NA skaters)? Or might he just go off the board and take Nurse? Or will they draft Drouin and groom him to be Marty St. Louis' replacement? Just curious as looking at the draft, its pretty obvious what most teams will be doing, but not Tampa as they seem to have a few interesting options.
SFY is a believer in always drafting the BPA, meaning position or need is irrelevant. Contrary to what a minority of posters believe or what other fans try to convince themselves of, we're going Drouin at #3. Not only does he fill a need (eventual replacement for Marty), but he's a prospect that flashes elite potential that just does not come around often at 3rd overall.

Not to mention the fact that when you look at our roster, it's questionable that we are even in a position to be drafting this high, so we'll take Drouin and be set for the foreseeable future and build the rest of our team through other means. There are plenty of good defensemen that end up being drafted in later rounds, but it's more rare to find top forwards after the 1st round.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:47 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
To further complement your list:

Chicago - Hjalmarsson
New Jersey - Greene
Philadelphia - Grossman
Pittsburgh - Orpik
San Jose - Demers, Braun
Toronto - Franson, Gunnarsson
Washington - Alzner
UFA - Clitsome, Ference, Fistric, Leopold, Scuderi.
I like the composition of your list better as your's has veteran defenseman. I feel thats what we need.. not another young guy.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Contrary to what a minority of posters believe or what other fans try to convince themselves of, we're going Drouin at #3.
Drouin or Mackinnon whichever is left.. really hope its Drouin though.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Drouin or Mackinnon whichever is left.. really hope its Drouin though.
I wouldn't be disappointed with either, just strongly believe Florida will go with Mac at #2! It would certainly be interesting if Mac was available at #3 since the possibility of buying-out Vinny becomes more realistic. One way or another, we'd have an incredible future dynamic duo of Drouin-Stamkos on a line or Stamkos-MacKinnon-T.Johnson down the middle.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Steve Yzerman
PLAYOFFS!

vCash: 805
Quote:
I wouldn't be disappointed with either, just strongly believe Florida will go with Mac at #2! It would certainly be interesting if Mac was available at #3 since the possibility of buying-out Vinny becomes more realistic. One way or another, we'd have an incredible future dynamic duo of Drouin-Stamkos on a line or Stamkos-MacKinnon-T.Johnson down the middle.
Is Mackinnon good at faceoffs?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
From what I've seen in games and read in articles, Mac excels in the face-off circle and is a complete player. He works as hard on the finer, less glamorous aspects of the game as he does on playmaking, skating, deking, scoring etc. It's just part of his ultra competitive nature!

Old
05-06-2013, 12:00 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
I found a couple articles saying he went from mid-40s as a Q rookie to 60% this year, although they were from early in the season. So he doesn't seem to be trending downward, at least.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
Lots of toughness available.
Who's on your wishlist?

Old
05-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Who's on your wishlist?
I can't speak for I Am Beat You, but Orr, Clowe, Clarkson, Morrow and LaRose immediately stand out for me. Whether or not we can afford to sign any of these players and/or without blocking the path for some of our youngsters remains to be seen though.

Management may feel that Labrie, Crombeen, Thompson and Panik bring enough physicality though. If Vinny and Malone were as physical as they were to start the season, it'd be less of an issue.

Closed Thread