HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricebox View Post
Brewer Needs to go, i think we could use that salary space on someone much more effective
Like who? Who else can we find for 3.8 million or less who can fill the same minutes?

Again, the biggest problem wasn't necessarily personnel (not that Brewer is a spring chicken) but that the playstyle did nothing to suit a lot of guys on this roster.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:08 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Well, it's a good thing no one said Hedman was a physical defenseman then. Hence, he was placed in the inconsistent physicality category. To say he has no physicality or toughness is still a joke, you still haven't saved face in anyway.
Well for one, I'm not trying to save face. Trying to save face would be an indication that I am wrong, which I am not. Hedman is not a physical threat. Teams do not game plan for Hedman's physical defensive play. Players do not keep their head up when Hedman is on the ice.

Secondly, the only thing that makes "Then there is the next group that can play physical but need to be more consistent in it and/or are very effective at eliminating space for others" valid in Hedman's case is the bolded. Hedman is (IMO at least) very good at the latter, not so much at the former. Every player has thrown a few good checks at some point. Saying that Hedman is sometimes a physical threat (which is what you are saying, isn't it?) is erroneous.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:11 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I really wish I knew what some of you expect out of a defender because its way different from the rest of the world. You know why so many people wanted Pronger? Because he was the only one of his type. Team toughness is a mentality, not a personnel issue.
I'm not expecting much more out of Hedman. He isn't a physical guy, he's like most European players: very smart with great puck skills, but not strong with the physical play. I'm not expecting him to go out there and throw checks all over the ice, not sure what gave you the indication I was.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Well for one, I'm not trying to save face. Trying to save face would be an indication that I am wrong, which I am not. Hedman is not a physical threat. Teams do not game plan for Hedman's physical defensive play. Players do not keep their head up when Hedman is on the ice.

Secondly, the only thing that makes "Then there is the next group that can play physical but need to be more consistent in it and/or are very effective at eliminating space for others" valid in Hedman's case is the bolded. Hedman is (IMO at least) very good at the latter, not so much at the former. Every player has thrown a few good checks at some point. Saying that Hedman is sometimes a physical threat (which is what you are saying, isn't it?) is erroneous.
Understand this isn't me necessarily calling you or any particular person out. When you look at the Norfolk or Crunch roster, there aren't a ton of guys that frankly scare the **** out of you. Am I terrified of being on the ice with Barberio, Taormina, Johnson, Palat, Panik? Not really. But the fact that they have an "all for one" mentality changes things. If I try to take liberties with TyJo, There will be Angelidis, Jacques, Nielsen, Gudas to answer to, and so on.

This is where things change. Hedman will be given the mentality and the crew to make this change in his game, to be aggressive, to be a troublemaker. Hedman is already a very good defender, if not more. He doesn't necessarily need a mean streak, but it certainly won't hinder his game. His ability to use this mean streak, and have the people to help him... exercise his anger... will make this team very different.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:

No one's debating that Hedman is a player other teams alter their line-ups for from a physical perspective. If they did, he'd be in the first tier, which you somehow continuously overlook. Being inconsistent in the physical department means that he can throw some good hits, but needs to do it more frequently. He has started to develop more of a mean streak this past season and I see no reason for it to not continue to improve.

Also, what are you talking about at the end of the second paragraph? There are plenty of players that do not throw even a few good checks. Hedman is capable of knocking others on their ass.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:15 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Like who? Who else can we find for 3.8 million or less who can fill the same minutes?

Again, the biggest problem wasn't necessarily personnel (not that Brewer is a spring chicken) but that the playstyle did nothing to suit a lot of guys on this roster.
Agreed. Though we could stand to get an upgrade over Brewer and it would only cost an extra million for a solid guy.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:15 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Quote:

I agree with you. But I am looking forward to see how Cooper coaches him and perhaps changes him.

Last edited by The YzerJesus: 05-06-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Agreed. Though we could stand to get an upgrade over Brewer and it would only cost an extra million for a solid guy.
Perhaps - I just can't really see who outside of trades, and i'm not keep on spending depth considering we've never really had it.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:24 PM
MattM92

Quote:
No one's debating that Hedman is a player other teams alter their line-ups for from a physical perspective. If they did, he'd be in the first tier, which you somehow continuously overlook. Being inconsistent in the physical department means that he can throw some good hits, but needs to do it more frequently. He has started to develop more of a mean streak this past season and I see no reason for it to not continue to improve.

Also, what are you talking about at the end of the second paragraph? There are plenty of players that do not throw even a few good checks. Hedman is capable of knocking others on their ass.
My point is that I've seen Marty go out there a few times and shoulder a guy pretty hard against the boards, does that mean he's a physical threat?

I agree that I have seen him develop a bit of a shorter fuse this year in regards to defending his crease and his teammates, but when he does 'blow' I haven't seen much besides pushing the guy a bit or facewashing him. For a guy with Hedman's size, most would expect him to be an intimidating guy on defense. The fact is that he isn't.

But then again, he did give Crosby a concussion

Old
05-06-2013, 10:27 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I agree with you. But I am looking forward to see how Cooper coaches him and perhaps changes him.
Same here. I'm expecting everyone to pick it up next year. The hitters still need to be the hitters, and the scorers the scorers, but I want guys like Marty and Stamkos and Purcell finishing checks along with scoring.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:32 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
My point is that I've seen Marty go out there a few times and shoulder a guy pretty hard against the boards, does that mean he's a physical threat?

I agree that I have seen him develop a bit of a shorter fuse this year in regards to defending his crease and his teammates, but when he does 'blow' I haven't seen much besides pushing the guy a bit or facewashing him. For a guy with Hedman's size, most would expect him to be an intimidating guy on defense. The fact is that he isn't.

But then again, he did give Crosby a concussion
I'm not saying Hedman is intimidating for his size. He can be physical and to compare Marty's hits to Hedman is nonsense. Hedman's thrown some big hits over the years and it is an aspect of his game that is consistently overlooked. Is he a physical defenseman? No. Can he play physical? Yes, he's just inconsistent at it because he has a great reach and so much speed and skill.

Just a few examples that he can hit and be physical. Also, Hedman's been in 3 fights over his career (1 per year), which isn't bad for a guy who has apparently 0 toughness.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:34 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Perhaps - I just can't really see who outside of trades, and i'm not keep on spending depth considering we've never really had it.
Yeah, the only way to get a quality guy is via trade and I'm always hesitant giving up any of our young guys unless the target is an elite guy. I'm willing to give Brewer the offseason to get his **** together and see how he does with Cooper's system plus what I think will be a more balanced group of forwards (depending on which kids stick).

Old
05-06-2013, 10:34 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

... I think we are all trying to say the same exact thing, but different

Basically that Hedman is not physical, but has shown flashes, and we are all eager to see the team toughness Cooper will introduce.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:35 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
... I think we are all trying to say the same exact thing, but different

Basically that Hedman is not physical, but has shown flashes, and we are all eager to see the team toughness Cooper will introduce.
well it's a lot different from Hedman has zero physicality or toughness to his game, which is what others are saying.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:51 PM
MattM92

Quote:
I'm not saying Hedman is intimidating for his size. He can be physical and to compare Marty's hits to Hedman is nonsense. Hedman's thrown some big hits over the years and it is an aspect of his game that is consistently overlooked. Is he a physical defenseman? No. Can he play physical? Yes, he's just inconsistent at it because he has a great reach and so much speed and skill.

Just a few examples that he can hit and be physical. Also, Hedman's been in 3 fights over his career (1 per year), which isn't bad for a guy who has apparently 0 toughness.
Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree because despite those videos I still don't see him as a physical threat.

And for his fights, that won't help your argument at all. He went up against Kadri, Ladd and Fisher and at best had a draw. Fisher got him with one to the jaw and Hedman went down to his knees, Ladd took his own helmet off mid fight and kicked Hedman's ass while Hedman jabbed the back of Ladd's neck, and the Kadri fight wasn't even really a fight.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
MattM92

Quote:
well it's a lot different from Hedman has zero physicality or toughness to his game, which is what others are saying.
I'm not saying he has ZERO, I'm just saying that isn't his game or his strong suit

Old
05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I'm not saying he has ZERO, I'm just saying that isn't his game or his strong suit
who said Hedman was a physical threat? All I said was he's inconsistent in the physical department...

Old
05-06-2013, 10:57 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree because despite those videos I still don't see him as a physical threat.

And for his fights, that won't help your argument at all. He went up against Kadri, Ladd and Fisher and at best had a draw. Fisher got him with one to the jaw and Hedman went down to his knees, Ladd took his own helmet off mid fight and kicked Hedman's ass while Hedman jabbed the back of Ladd's neck, and the Kadri fight wasn't even really a fight.
It still takes a bit of toughness to engage in a fight when you are clearly not a fighter. All I'm saying is that you can't say Hedman adds nothing to the toughness of this team. The fight comment was not to show that he has an abundance of toughness in any way whatsoever.

He also fought Gomez too I believe. So that would be 4 fights in 3 years .

Not a full on fight, but there's the mean streak we're all hoping to see.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 05-06-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 11:06 PM
MattM92

Quote:
It still takes a bit of toughness to engage in a fight when you are clearly not a fighter. All I'm saying is that you can't say Hedman adds nothing to the toughness of this team. The fight comment was not to show that he has an abundance of toughness in any way whatsoever.

According to this site, he's only been in 3. BUT! According to this site, he also had a fight with Jamie Benn during a preseason game in 09. So I guess he got his ass kicked 4 times

Old
05-06-2013, 11:08 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
According to this site, he's only been in 3. BUT! According to this site, he also had a fight with Jamie Benn during a preseason game in 09. So I guess he got his ass kicked 4 times
Still takes a bit of toughness to engage in a fight and get your ass kicked though!

Old
05-06-2013, 11:10 PM
MattM92

Quote:

Not a full on fight, but there's the mean streak we're all hoping to see.
That video was hysterical. Gomez is about half Hedman's size, Smaby losing to himself, plus Niittymaki not letting in a goal on a routine play. Obviously fake

Old
05-06-2013, 11:11 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Lol wut? 40 hits in 19 games is pretty good for me and when he drops the gloves, he does well for a middleweight. Labrie is an excellent energy guy who adds a nice element of toughness to our forward group.
Labrie is a big 4th liner and it's his job to be physical and drop the mitts, and he does that job well. That said, I don't necessarily see him as someone opponents "hate" to play against.

I've supported Labrie as much as anybody on these boards, but there are plenty of players like him throughout the league, and they aren't exceptional enough to earn that label imo.

Quote:
Well, Thompson was 3rd on our team in hits and does an excellent job at shutting down the other teams' top forwards, which is why he naturally falls into the category of "players other teams don't like lining up against".

Aulie has the potential to be more physical and he'll do so as he continues to develop and gain more confidence. Unless of course, you have no faith that our young players will improve.
You said that opponents "hate" to line up against them. To me, that's something that can't be said about too many players, and certainly not guys like Thompson, Labrie, and Aulie.

I have a lot of faith in the development of our young players, and I agree that Aulie can be more physical. I'm not sure that he'll ever turn into the big, nasty defender that you'd hope for, but this season was actually as physical as I've seen him play. For his size and skill set though, I don't think his physical game is overly impressive.

Quote:
Probably gone by next season, does not mean he WILL be gone, which is why he was still listed in a tier. Hedman adds nothing to the toughness of this team? Really? Really?
What toughness would you lose with Hedman out of the lineup? Sure, he sprinkles in some physicality, but he's still one of the softest big defensemen in the league. It boggles my mind that you'd act like I'm out to lunch when it comes to Victor freaking Hedman's impact on the toughness of the team.

Quote:
If you failed to notice (seems like you choose and pick what you respond to, ignoring other parts), I mentioned that some of the players in the 2nd tier are effective at eliminating space and plugging gaps (i.e. Pyatt & Salo).
I didn't bother addressing this because it's beside the point.

Quote:
I love Killer, but you can't say you'll take his physical game and claim Hedman has no physicality/toughness.
Never said Hedman has no physicality. He has clearly made an effort to add more of it to his game. That said, I still don't consider him a physical player, and he adds very little toughness aside from the standard scrums a d-man will encounter around the net.

Quote:
The point was to highlight that we could use more players in the first tier that other teams hate lining up against...
I think that depends on the player. For example, guys like Kaleta or Rinaldo may fit into that category, but they can also create problems for the team, especially if we lack truly tough players to clean up the mess.

Quote:
I really wish I knew what some of you expect out of a defender because its way different from the rest of the world. You know why so many people wanted Pronger? Because he was the only one of his type. Team toughness is a mentality, not a personnel issue.
Only to a certain extent.
Quote:
Understand this isn't me necessarily calling you or any particular person out. When you look at the Norfolk or Crunch roster, there aren't a ton of guys that frankly scare the **** out of you. Am I terrified of being on the ice with Barberio, Taormina, Johnson, Palat, Panik? Not really. But the fact that they have an "all for one" mentality changes things. If I try to take liberties with TyJo, There will be Angelidis, Jacques, Nielsen, Gudas to answer to, and so on.
I don't think anyone is debating how important mentality is, but that can only get you so far if you don't have the right players.

Syracuse wouldn't be known as one of the toughest teams in the league without having the personnel to back it up. Neilson, Labrie, Angelidis, Nightingale, Gudas, Cote, Jacques etc. are a huge reason for the attitude of the team.

Quote:
This is where things change. Hedman will be given the mentality and the crew to make this change in his game, to be aggressive, to be a troublemaker. Hedman is already a very good defender, if not more. He doesn't necessarily need a mean streak, but it certainly won't hinder his game. His ability to use this mean streak, and have the people to help him... exercise his anger... will make this team very different.
I tend to agree. I'd actually argue he already has a bit of a mean streak, just not the toughness and confidence to back it up.

I'm very with Hedman despite my issues with his soft play.

Last edited by OG Kuch: 05-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 11:26 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
Labrie is a big 4th liner and it's his job to be physical and drop the mitts, and he does that job well. That said, I don't necessarily see him as someone opponents "hate" to play against.

I've supported Labrie as much as anybody on these boards, but there are plenty of players like him throughout the league, and they aren't exceptional enough to earn that label imo.

You said that opponents "hate" to line up against them. To me, that's something that can't be said about too many players, and certainly not guys like Thompson, Labrie, and Aulie.

I have a lot of faith in the development of our young players, and I agree that Aulie can be more physical. I'm not sure that he'll ever turn into the big, nasty defender that you'd hope for, but this season was actually as physical as I've seen him play. For his size and skill set though, I don't think his physical game is overly impressive.

What toughness would you lose with Hedman out of the lineup? Sure, he sprinkles in some physicality, but he's still one of the softest big defensemen in the league. It boggles my mind that you'd act like I'm out to lunch when it comes to Victor freaking Hedman's impact on the toughness of the team.

I didn't bother addressing this because it's beside the point.

Never said Hedman has no physicality. He has clearly made an effort to add more of it to his game. That said, I still don't consider him a physical player, and he adds very little toughness aside from the standard scrums a d-man will encounter around the net.

I think that depends on the player. For example, guys like Kaleta or Rinaldo may fit into that category, but they can also create problems for the team, especially if we lack truly tough players to clean up the mess.
It really appears as though we're arguing semantics. Though, I still disagree that Hedman adds no toughness to our team and that the physicality is sprinkled in there. It's inconsistent, yes, but not an aberration.

Labrie is still a decently tough player who you wouldn't want to absorb a hit from. Just because there are other players in the league that can replicate what he brings to the table, does not diminish the fact that he's still adds a significant amount of toughness to our team. Perhaps teams don't hate to line up against him, but he's still effective for what he is and looks to finish a check at any opportunity he gets.

There's more to hating to line up against someone than just instilling fear. Thompson can be pretty pesky and an annoyance to play against. Aulie together with Gudas caused headaches for the Staals on numerous occasions. Aulie isn't the presence that Gudas is just yet, but just give him some more time. He's capable of being a very physical defenseman and I think he'll only improve on that aspect under Cooper. Bear in mind, it was only his first full/half season in the league too.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
That video was hysterical. Gomez is about half Hedman's size, Smaby losing to himself, plus Niittymaki not letting in a goal on a routine play. Obviously fake
you have to admit that roundhouse punch that Hedman threw to Gomez's kidney was scary and slightly uncharacteristic of him though.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:45 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
It really appears as though we're arguing semantics. Though, I still disagree that Hedman adds no toughness to our team and that the physicality is sprinkled in there. It's inconsistent, yes, but not an aberration.
Yeah, we're not on same the page...
Quote:
Labrie is still a decently tough player who you wouldn't want to absorb a hit from. Just because there are other players in the league that can replicate what he brings to the table, does not diminish the fact that he's still adds a significant amount of toughness to our team. Perhaps teams don't hate to line up against him, but he's still effective for what he is and looks to finish a check at any opportunity he gets.
I actually find that he'll let up on checks that he should finish from time to time, but I agree. He is one of the few players who adds a significant amount of toughness to this team.

Quote:
There's more to hating to line up against someone than just instilling fear. Thompson can be pretty pesky and an annoyance to play against.
Opponents are used to playing against the Nate Thompson's of the league, as pretty much every team has a guy like that. Not taking anything away from Nate, but everyone's used to playing against guys like him.

The "hate to play against" thing is what I got caught up in.

Quote:
Aulie together with Gudas caused headaches for the Staals on numerous occasions. Aulie isn't the presence that Gudas is just yet, but just give him some more time. He's capable of being a very physical defenseman and I think he'll only improve on that aspect under Cooper. Bear in mind, it was only his first full/half season in the league too.
With the Lightning yes, but don't forget about Aulie's time in the Leafs organization. He has never been a dominating physical presence, and while there's still time, I'm not sure he ever will be. Having a tough team and Gudas on his side could help that though.

At the end of the day, I'm just excited to see what happens this offseason. I'm optimistic about the toughness situation, believe it or not.

Closed Thread