HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 03:05 PM
2 Weekes Notice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildcats View Post
Yzerman evaluated both Brian Lee and Marc A. Bergeron ahead of him this year. After signing Sustr from college, Yzerman rewarded him with 2 NHL games before sending him down to Syracuse. Message appears to be very clear. By the way, he becomes a restricted free agent after June 30th, does not mean he cannot go to Europe. Do not think he will play another year in the AHL.
Well, unless Yzerman saw these posts and caved to your demands, the message must not have been very clear.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 617
It must have been the threat of going to Europe and making significantly less money that got Yzerman scared.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
It must have been the threat of going to Europe and making significantly less money that got Yzerman scared.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

What is this nonsense about Barbs... He is a RFA who hasn't played a game. What's his qualifying offer? It is impossible for him to leave. Let's get back to talking about something that isn't idiotic. Malone buy out... Bottom 6 help... The second coming of Jesus

Old
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Mwildcats
Rookie User

Met Mark in Moncton. He spent 4 years with the Moncton Wildcats and his last year went to the Memorial Cup. Just did not make sense that they would not give him a few games so as to properly evaluate him. Tampa has a decision to make for next year since if they put him on waivers he will be picked up.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
zeykshade

He's a Restricted Free Agent next year. He'll be offered a Qualifying Offer, which for him is 110% of $580k($638k). This will allow the Lightning to retain negotiating rights.

If Mark were to reject the offer, the Lightning still own his rights. He can't sign with anyone in NA, he isn't on waivers and no one can just pick him up.

If the Bolts don't tender a QO, he becomes a UFA. If the Bolts do tender a QO and then another team puts forward an Offer Sheet, the Lightning can accept the terms of the sheet or decline it.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Met Mark in Moncton. He spent 4 years with the Moncton Wildcats and his last year went to the Memorial Cup. Just did not make sense that they would not give him a few games so as to properly evaluate him. Tampa has a decision to make for next year since if they put him on waivers he will be picked up.
... He's not waiver eligible. Seriously, there is zero concern of Barbs running. If he runs, he loses his chance at the NHL.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

The real concern is why Pouliot has not been re-signed.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
The real concern is why Pouliot has not been re-signed.
He's also a RFA but I wouldn't be surprised if he signs an extension before July 1.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:58 PM
CC321

So what is next season's team looking like at the moment.

Killorn- Stamkos- Marty
Pouliot- Lecavalier- Purcell
Malone- Johnson- Connolly or Panik
Palat- Thompson- Crombeen
Pyatt

Hedman- Salo
Carle- Brewer
Aulie- Gudas- Barberio- Korobov- Sustr- Taormina- Lee- Mikkelson

Bishop/Lindback

Not much different than what we have right now. Cooper is going to have to work hard to turn these guys into a team though. Luckily, team bonding is his specialty.

Are there any changes you would like to see to the lineup?

Old
04-08-2013, 06:03 PM
LGB 26

Taormina sent down, Barbario recalled.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post

Killorn- Stamkos- Marty
Pyatt

Hedman- Salo
Carle- Brewer

Bishop/Lindback

Not much different than what we have right now. Cooper is going to have to work hard to turn these guys into a team though. Luckily, team bonding is his specialty.

I just don't know what else Yzerman could do to improve this team. I mean, maybe ship Malone and Brewer out for a decent top 4 D? I'm just baffled that a team of this caliber sucks so bad.

EDIT: Who are the best free agent defensemen this offseason?

Last edited by The YzerJesus: 04-08-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Mwildcats
Rookie User

Season Save % Team points % Goals For
2010-2011
Dwayne Roloson 0.912 0.628 240

2011-2012
Dwayne Roloson 0.886
Mathieu Garon 0.901 0.512 235

2012-2013
Anders Lindbach 0.903
Mathieu Garon 0.902 0.447 121

Boucher was the flavor of the month in 2010-2011 season but the reason for the great season was the goaltending. Goals scored were approximately the same and if you double this year's amount again you are around 240. It is always easy to blame the coach but when your goalie cannot stop a beach ball (look at those awful save % for the last 2 years) then you are not wining anything. It is impossible to win in today's NHL without a good goalie. Just ask the Philadelphia Flyers ; haven't won since Bernie Parent. Look at the stats for the two goalies that won the Cup in the last 2 playoffs:

Last two Cups Playoffs Reg Season
Jonathan Quick 0.946 0.929
Tim Thomas 0.940 0.938

Yzerman said he was not satisfied with the direction the team was headed. Boucher had nothing to do with the direction ;the problem is the direction of the team was based on how Stevie Y structured and evaluated his goaltending.
Prediction: Ben Bishop is going to make Cooper look like a genius in 2013-2014 just like Roloson did for Boucher in 2010-2011.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Season Save % Team points % Goals For
2010-2011
Dwayne Roloson 0.912 0.628 240

2011-2012
Dwayne Roloson 0.886
Mathieu Garon 0.901 0.512 235

2012-2013
Anders Lindbach 0.903
Mathieu Garon 0.902 0.447 121

Boucher was the flavor of the month in 2010-2011 season but the reason for the great season was the goaltending. Goals scored were approximately the same and if you double this year's amount again you are around 240. It is always easy to blame the coach but when your goalie cannot stop a beach ball (look at those awful save % for the last 2 years) then you are not wining anything. It is impossible to win in today's NHL without a good goalie. Just ask the Philadelphia Flyers ; haven't won since Bernie Parent. Look at the stats for the two goalies that won the Cup in the last 2 playoffs:

Last two Cups Playoffs Reg Season
Jonathan Quick 0.946 0.929
Tim Thomas 0.940 0.938

Yzerman said he was not satisfied with the direction the team was headed. Boucher had nothing to do with the direction ;the problem is the direction of the team was based on how Stevie Y structured and evaluated his goaltending.
Prediction: Ben Bishop is going to make Cooper look like a genius in 2013-2014 just like Roloson did for Boucher in 2010-2011.
Yes everybody knows that, the reason Boucher was fired, was that the team turned off and didn't listen to him anymore and this is a no-go for a coach, he had to go because of this situation, not because of the track record or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post

Killorn- Stamkos- Marty
Pyatt

Hedman- Salo
Carle- Brewer

Bishop/Lindback

I really hope Panik gets another year in the A and learns to led a team.
I please SY to trade Malone and Brewer for either picks, prospects or one of them for a serious top4 defender. I like Gudas and I already think he is good enough to play top4 minutes, but I would really prefer him as #5 as a "call-up" into the top4.
I doubt Mikkelson gets a new contract and I'm not sure if Taormina gets a new one as well.
And I pray to god, SY uses buyouts for Brewer and/or Malone if he is unable to trade them, though I would hope, he holds onto Malone for 1 more year in that case, because we won't have cap problems next season. And SY can still use one amnesty buxout in 2014

Old
04-08-2013, 07:04 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I just don't know what else Yzerman could do to improve this team. I mean, maybe ship Malone and Brewer out for a decent top 4 D? I'm just baffled that a team of this caliber sucks so bad.

EDIT: Who are the best free agent defensemen this offseason?
I'm frequently surprised at how poorly we perform too, but I keep coming back to one player - Stamkos. He isn't dominating games and looks scared to take a hit to make a play. He often panics with the puck in both zones, resulting in unnecessary and costly turnovers. He's not shooting the puck enough lately and is looking for the perfect play, opposed to the easier/less skillful goals he was finding earlier this season.

If we're to push further ahead next season, he's going to need to step up and lead this team; by that I mean more than just provide points. He often does nothing for 55 minutes of the game, but picks up an assist or a goal in the other 5 minutes of the game that pads his stats.

The UFA defensemen pool this summer is very shallow and underwhelming. After the money we spent last off-season on upgrading our d, I can't see SFY pursuing any.

At a glance: Streit, Gonchar, Zidlicky, Whitney, Leopold, Regehr, Murray, Clitsome and White. The only way to upgarde is via trade. Hjalmarsson's name gets thrown around a lot to give the Hawks cap relief, though I'm not sure what his cost would be.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:07 PM
BarberioTheBarbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I'm frequently surprised at how poorly we perform too, but I keep coming back to one player - Stamkos. He isn't dominating games and looks scared to take a hit to make a play. He often panics with the puck in both zones, resulting in unnecessary and costly turnovers. He's not shooting the puck enough lately and is looking for the perfect play, opposed to the easier/less skillful goals he was finding earlier this season.

If we're to push further ahead next season, he's going to need to step up and lead this team; by that I mean more than just provide points. He often does nothing for 55 minutes of the game, but picks up an assist or a goal in the other 5 minutes of the game that pads his stats.

The UFA defensemen pool this summer is very shallow and underwhelming. After the money we spent last off-season on upgrading our d, I can't see SFY pursuing any.

At a glance: Streit, Gonchar, Zidlicky, Whitney, Leopold, Regehr, Murray, Clitsome and White. The only way to upgarde is via trade. Hjalmarsson's name gets thrown around a lot to give the Hawks cap relief, though I'm not sure what his cost would be.
He was Hedman's d partner for the world championship right?

Old
04-08-2013, 08:22 PM
FDfranklin
Check Mate

At least we aren't Carolina and get blown out every game, I feel bad for their fans. I feel we at least got a few positives out of this shortened season, ie; All the rookies who proved NHL worthy, Killorn, etc.. Bishop and a new coach.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:38 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
He was Hedman's d partner for the world championship right?
I believe so. He'd look great playing next to Hedman or on the top 4 in general. He's much more mobile than Brewer, blocks shots, is a good passer and is a reliable presence in his own end. However, he's not a gifted offensive player or too physical, but he's not a push over like Carle either.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Need one potential top six center and one top four defender.

If the first can happen, Lecavalier gets bought out. Full seasons for Gudas, potentially Barberio. Resign Pouliot, Aulie.

Don't want to subtract much from defense because the UFA D crop is kinda ******, frankly.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
ultra63

Are they worse than the highly paid Carle ?

Old
04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Mostly.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:00 PM
IdealisticSniper

I still don't see the buyout of Lecavalier. The only way that makes sense is if you can replace his production with a cap hit of much less. Good luck with that. His production will cost 5M per easily. And 2.7M isn't enough of a cap difference to buy out your franchise face, captain, and life long Bolt.

Doesn't make any sense to me. You trade Malone, let Ohlund retire which he will, and that's 8M in cap space right there.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I still don't see the buyout of Lecavalier. The only way that makes sense is if you can replace his production with a cap hit of much less. Good luck with that. His production will cost 5M per easily. And 2.7M isn't enough of a cap difference to buy out your franchise face, captain, and life long Bolt.

Doesn't make any sense to me. You trade Malone, let Ohlund retire which he will, and that's 8M in cap space right there.
2.7M is a 4-5 defender.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

But you have to think long-term. Even his contract is affordable for his production now, it will be a stranglehold on the team when he's barely producing.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

If Carle can continue with his improved play, we don't really have to go outside the organization to upgrade the D unless someone really good is available. The problem isn't our depth on D, that's actually ok. It's our lack of a true #1, as I don't think Hedman has proven that yet. Look at all the guys below, who else sticks out as better than second pairing?

Hedman- Salo
Carle- Brewer

Closed Thread