HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Final Fantasy XV (Ex: FFv13)

Old
03-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 500
Final Fantasy XV (Ex: FFv13)

I know there is already a couple of Final Fantasy threads here, but Final Fantasy versus XIII is so diffrent and might not be realesed for a couple of years, i think this game deserves its own thread considering all the drama and news surrounding it.

Trailers

Facts
Consoles: PS3, PS4, X1

News and rumors
- Versus 13 = XV 2013-03-15
- Release date leaked 2013-03-15
- Name change rumorclarified 2013-03-17

Last edited by Everlasting: 06-11-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:07 AM
kingsholygrail
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I probably won't try another Final Fantasy until they get out of the XIII universe. It is such garbage.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Everlasting

versus XIII has nothing in common with the "13 universe". Except the name tho.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Versus 13 is now very likely a PS4 title and it will be renamed Final Fantasy XV

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Everlasting

Which is a huge **** you too many fans. I cant be the only one who bought a PS3 4+ years ago just becuse i wanted to play versus 13...

Old
03-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Which is a huge **** you too many fans. I cant be the only one who bought a PS3 4+ years ago just becuse i wanted to play versus 13...
It happens though. Ico was moved from PS1 to PS2 as an example. Last Guardian will probably be moved to Ps4 as well. Sometimes games just take a long time to develop and/or the technology does not exist at the time to make the entire vision. Considering Versus 13 was supposed to be a large open world game, I think that is why it ultimately will switch consoles. This is also why you never buy a console for just one or two games (unless they are already out or have a solid projected release date) because games get cancelled/readapted all the time.

The problem with both Versus and Last Guardian though was that they were announced probably way before they should have been. I doubt they'll go the way of Starcraft: Ghost, but I do think both games were too ambitious for what the tech was capable of at the time.

At the time I bought my Ps3 Last Guardian and Versus were at the top of my list for games I wanted, but also 13 itself, Folklore and a bunch of other games were things I wanted, and I ultimately got those, thankfully.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Everlasting

I have no idea when ICO was annonunced but for versus it was 2006? Thats 7 years ago, im sorry but that dont "just happen". Square Enix has just ****ed up big time and it's their fault. Not the technology or anything else that has maked the game more late. We all know that versus labour has been forced to work on somethin else, that also dont "just happen".

I agree with you, it was annonunced way too early.

I read in an interview with Nomura a year or 2 ago, and he said that the world was huge that they got lost in it, so they had to make it smaller. He never stated anything about that the consolde couldn't handle it or anything like that either. In fact, i cannot remember information from any interview stating that it was delayed becuse of "visions" or anything like that.

All the information we have says one thing, Square Enix has ****ed up, and that makes it look like SQE just says "**** you" to us, the fans. IF the game ends up on PS4, we should atleast get an apology.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Why? They never promised anything. They announced the game, that's all.

Who cares how long it takes. If it gives me the 100 hours + of gameplay and story that it seems like it will, I don't care if I have to wait 10 years for it. Sure it sucks, but whatever.

Now, if its a Duke Nukem situation, where we wait 10 years and get a pile of crap, then yes, that would suck.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
I have no idea when ICO was annonunced but for versus it was 2006? Thats 7 years ago, im sorry but that dont "just happen". Square Enix has just ****ed up big time and it's their fault. Not the technology or anything else that has maked the game more late. We all know that versus labour has been forced to work on somethin else, that also dont "just happen".

I agree with you, it was annonunced way too early.

I read in an interview with Nomura a year or 2 ago, and he said that the world was huge that they got lost in it, so they had to make it smaller. He never stated anything about that the consolde couldn't handle it or anything like that either. In fact, i cannot remember information from any interview stating that it was delayed becuse of "visions" or anything like that.

All the information we have says one thing, Square Enix has ****ed up, and that makes it look like SQE just says "**** you" to us, the fans. IF the game ends up on PS4, we should atleast get an apology.
What happened at SE is this:
- SE started development on a game called "Rapture" (Later: FFXIV), this game was visible at the Xbox 360 announcement event (August 2005)
- SE then started development on the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga (November 2005)
- SE puts Tanaka (main lead on FFXI) in charge of Rapture, they announce it's coming to Ps3 and PC (April 2006)
- Announced: FF13, FFV13 and FFType0 (May 2006)
*I'll skip a few steps here since the rest is known*
- FF14 is released (September 14th,2010)
- FF14 has a terrible launch and is deemed one of the worst and most incomplete and cumbersome MMO's ever released (Post September 2010)
- Square debates how to fix it and make it a cash cow just like FFXI (2010)
- Square takes Tanaka off FFXIV, and puts Yoshi-P on the game as lead producer (Dec 2010)
- Yoshi-P has a vision for FFXIV that involves remaking the entire game from scratch in an effort to salvage the game and restore the brand (Early 2011)
- Square pulls their teams off of ALL Final Fantasy projects (including Versus) and puts them on rebuilding 14 to give Yoshi-P the resources he needs, cutting teams down to just bare minimum to work on something (Early-to-mid 2011)
- All Final Fantasy projects are basically on hold until XIV is done (Today)

Through no fault of anyone working on Versus, SE has decided that XIV is simply the more important game. It's the right business decision too because FFXIV has the potential to make 10x more than Versus would ever hope to make. FFXIV also at the time was a main line FF whereas Versus isn't, and it would also give the Versus guys time to adjust their ideas and try things they wouldn't have otherwise.

Long story short: Square-Enix made a business decision for the betterment of the company (I am not defending this decision, just explaining it) because mainline Final Fantasy is the engine that runs them. Because of this, Versus has unfortunately taken a back seat, and will remain there until FFXIV is stable. It sucks for all the people (like me and you) who want Versus, but people just have to realize that Square is digging themselves out of the hole first and such is the nature of game development sometimes.

TLDR: Fans really need to stop expecting to see Versus at every industry event, they are only setting them self up to be let down. When it is revealed again, no matter what it's called, just take it as a pleasant surprise.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If this is going to be the launch title for the PS4, be sure to watch it ****ing sell out like mad. Especially in Japan.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
ColonialsHockey10

No matter how good Versus turns out, there is no excuse for what they've done.

They have the worst PR in the industry and they frequently lie. It's a horrible company and XIV and Versus are the make or break for them.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
No matter how good Versus turns out, there is no excuse for what they've done.

They have the worst PR in the industry and they frequently lie. It's a horrible company and XIV and Versus are the make or break for them.
I don't know if "horrible company" is really the right term. They've done really well with Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex. I think the Japanese development arm is having issues now, not the entire company.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I don't know if "horrible company" is really the right term. They've done really well with Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex. I think the Japanese development arm is having issues now, not the entire company.
True, fair point.

I'd argue its a lot worse then "having issues" though.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
True, fair point.

I'd argue its a lot worse then "having issues" though.
Yea, but that's what happens when you bet big on a MMO and hire the wrong team to make it (see: SWTOR for another example). At least SE is trying to fix the problem and make the players that bought it happy, as opposed to "Oh well, guess we write it off and move on"

Old
03-16-2013, 07:50 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Watching those video's they should rename it from FF Versus XIII to FF Black XIII. I mean it looks great but everyone walking around in black suits/clothes, with the occasional bit of white thrown in for contrast, looks kind of silly

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Suxnet

Bought a PS3 for The Last Guardian and Versus. Just my ****in luck

Suxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Everlasting

Updated OP with a new news...

Old
03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Do you actually post on PSU Everlasting?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Everlasting

PSU? No. ノー. Nein.

I was however head writer on a huge (The biggest) swedish final fantasy fan site tho, but i recently removed my account from there. The place had become so dull... and empty. I just had no intrest and the site had stagnated for a long time.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Best person to follow is Kagari on Twitter/NeoGAF/Her website. She usually gets answers about the FF series really fast.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:26 PM
kingsholygrail
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote:
versus XIII has nothing in common with the "13 universe". Except the name tho.
God I hope so. These last two releases have been a tragedy for the franchise.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
God I hope so. These last two releases have been a tragedy for the franchise.
Completly diffrent characters, story, world and gameplay.

Versus has an open world, you can travel with veichles and its an action RPG who continued on XIIs fightingsystem except its made so it looks more like Advent children. The game also takes place in "modern world".

Old
03-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
It looks pretty sweet to be honest

Sure it has the awful Japanese character design (the main character looks ok though that's very important) but I'm curious

Hated FFXIII it was the first FF I didn't finish (I barely played it) but I thought the world and the mythos were pretty cool. What killed it were the characters (no depth whatsoever) and the story (dear lord was it horribad)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:33 PM
kingsholygrail
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote:
Completly diffrent characters, story, world and gameplay.

Versus has an open world, you can travel with veichles and its an action RPG who continued on XIIs fightingsystem except its made so it looks more like Advent children. The game also takes place in "modern world".
Action RPG... meeeehhhhh. If it's got characters I can like I'll give it a shot. I did like Crisis Core a lot and that was pretty much pure action RPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It looks pretty sweet to be honest

Sure it has the awful Japanese character design (the main character looks ok though that's very important) but I'm curious

Hated FFXIII it was the first FF I didn't finish (I barely played it) but I thought the world and the mythos were pretty cool. What killed it were the characters (no depth whatsoever) and the story (dear lord was it horribad)
Similar feeling. One of my friends explained the world mythos and I said that it sounded great, but we both agreed that there's basically no likeable characters in the game.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Similar feeling. One of my friends explained the world mythos and I said that it sounded great, but we both agreed that there's basically no likeable characters in the game.
You can't be human if you didn't like Sazh . He's one of the best written charaters in FF history - it's just really not apparent for the first 10 hours... during which you're also stuck with Vanille. What were they thinking.

A big problem with XIII is that it took to the end of the 9th chapter to get interresting. 30 hours in. I thought the story was great by that point onwards, but I will not fault anyone for not getting to that point. It's a weird story, and it works from the player not knowing anything and slowly discovering the world, and that makes a lot of people angry - or disinterrested. And if the gameplay is linear in a story you don't care about knowing what's coming next... well hello shelf, hello dust.

Adding that as the game progresses, the fighting system becomes a lot better. The worst problem of XIII IMO is that it adds a gameplay element every chapter up to the 10th chapter. It's OK, SE, we can understand complicated gameplay. Get on with the friggin tutorial. We're going to break your game in 1000 ways you never saw coming anyway. Give us a little credit.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote