HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Question on jersey colors ...

Old
03-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Mirinho

vCash: 500
Question on jersey colors ...

Yesterday I was talking with my friends about NHL in our pub ... and we found a problem

was there any team in NHL with green - yellow jersey combination? (of course with yellow or green helmet)

something like this ...

green and yellow are the worst color combination you can use for hockey jerseys I'd say

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
SealsFan

Ahem...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
SealsFan

and helmets...

Old
03-16-2013, 08:35 AM
SealsFan

and the Chicago Cougars in the WHA, except the yellow was the "dark" road jersey and there was no green jersey - they wore white for home.

Last edited by SealsFan: 03-17-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Prior site used for image was prevented from displaying
Old
03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Minnesota North Stars:

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Green & yellow's a terrific colour combination, absolutely loved the Seals & North Stars jerseys. A bit of white's a good idea though for sure, offsetting what is otherwise a bit of a heavy combination if left strictly two tone. Colour psychology is an interesting subject as it relates to sports, studied widely, particularly so with soccer. The 2 most popular colours are red & blue, studies showing teams wearing red win 55% more of the time than those wearing blue. Individual athletes as well performing better while wearing red. Green is an unusual colour, as it's considered a more sophisticated, an esoteric & mystical colour, not all that popular in fashion. Automotive manufacturers (with the exceptions of Jaguar, MG) like GM, Ford etc always producing very low volumes in whatever shades of green, though turquoise & certainly teal (consider the NHL's Sharks for eg) are popular, green & blue mixture but a lot more blue than green.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Ahem...

Ya.... nice boots. Whats New KittyKat?... In the all time list of people committing crimes of of fashion in sports, the eccentric Charlie O. Finley deserves life.... he lifted the Oakland A's colours right down to the pantone #'s, doing a fantastic job on the jerseys etc but c'mon here, white skates? Manufacturers at that time had introduced two tone colour matched skate boots (like black & red, blue & white off the shelf) which lasted just for all about 3 seconds after the laughter had subsided, re-called & re-coloured to solid blacks & browns. But I guess Charlie O. there loved a fad, decides nu unh, lets kick it up a few notches, go all white like the A's. Anecdotally I've read how the players forced to wear them went nuts, taking it in the teeth wherever they played, ridiculed with invective thats not too hard to imagine. The white boots were dropped, going with the slightly less hideous green & yellow... then a complete morph to new powder blue jerseys & colour scheme, again with the idiotic coloured boots but they were "optional" and as I recall only one or three players actually wearing them.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
SealsFan

Whoa, hold on thar, I believe you've got the timeline a bit off. The green/gold era Seals' skate colors went in this order: green boot with gold trim (as Paul Shmyr is wearing in my first post) and during the same season, on to gold boot with green trim. From there it went to white boot with green trim, then the all-white boot with green laces as Leachy is sporting above. Finally, when the team was sold to the NHL near the end of 73-74, they returned to standard boots and I did see one of those games on TV as the Rangers televised a game from Oakland beginning at 11:00 pm NY time.

As far as them wearing colored boots during the teal era... pics or GTFO!

Old
03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
SealsFan

As long as we're in bizarro world re: jersey colors --- in the first year of the WHA, three of the 12 teams wore ORANGE as their dark color.... one more than the number of teams wearing BLUE as their dark color!

Old
03-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
As far as them wearing colored boots during the teal era... pics or GTFO!
Ooops... did I mess up the timeline?.... yes?.... sorry, memories of the 70's "fragmented" at the best of times..... and ya, I do remember like a baby blue with navy blue boot... pretty sure of it.... then again.... mightve been a GoGo Dancer at the Fillmore... pictures & negatives long since destroyed....

Old
03-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Hoser

Quote:
As long as we're in bizarro world re: jersey colors --- in the first year of the WHA, three of the 12 teams wore ORANGE as their dark color.... one more than the number of teams wearing BLUE as their dark color!
I think you raise an interesting point regarding the fact that a quarter of the league wore orange as a 'dark' colour, but your math is a little off. The Jets, Aeros, Fighting Saints and Nordiques all wore blue. (The Nordiques' shade was much lighter.)

Still, when you think about jersey colours there are two particular old stand-bys: blue and red. In the WHA's first season half the league wore either blue or red. The Blazers, Oilers and Raiders wore orange, the Whalers wore green, the Cougars wore yellow and the Crusaders wore purple. By contrast well over half the NHL at the time wore blue or red: Rangers, Maple Leafs, Blues, Canucks, Sabres, Islanders and Penguins wore blue (although the Penguins' blue was a light blue); Canadiens, Black Hawks, Red Wings and Flames wore red. Only the North Stars, Seals, Kings, Flyers and Bruins wore something else.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Anecdotally I've read how the players forced to wear them went nuts, taking it in the teeth wherever they played, ridiculed with invective thats not too hard to imagine. The white boots were dropped, going with the slightly less hideous green & yellow... then a complete morph to new powder blue jerseys & colour scheme, again with the idiotic coloured boots but they were "optional" and as I recall only one or three players actually wearing them.

I recall people considering those pretty cool.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I recall people considering those pretty cool.
Well, I guess when your names Fedorov, one of the most talented players to have ever laced them up, you could come out onto the ice wearing one of those oversized rubberised Water Lily bathing caps straight out of the 1940's instead of a helmet if you wanted to. Ethel Merman Collection. Tutu to go with the figure skates.. mebbe dress up his stick with some Versace scarves ala Steven Tyler and his mic stands to complete the ensemble.... ask the trainers to light incense sticks behind the bench... Sandalwood... start dating Stevie Nicks... spend your summers at an Ashram down in Oregon...

Old
03-18-2013, 07:00 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
and ya, I do remember like a baby blue with navy blue boot... pretty sure of it.....
You're probably thinking of Pittsburgh. A few other teams briefly flirted with the colored skates when the Seals introduced the green boot/yellow trim version -- I have photos of the Pens and St. Louis in colored skates. In fact, here's a great photo on Ebay of BOTH teams wearing their colored skates in the same game!

Old
03-18-2013, 07:11 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I think you raise an interesting point regarding the fact that a quarter of the league wore orange as a 'dark' colour, but your math is a little off. The Jets, Aeros, Fighting Saints and Nordiques all wore blue. (The Nordiques' shade was much lighter.)

Still, when you think about jersey colours there are two particular old stand-bys: blue and red. In the WHA's first season half the league wore either blue or red. The Blazers, Oilers and Raiders wore orange, the Whalers wore green, the Cougars wore yellow and the Crusaders wore purple. By contrast well over half the NHL at the time wore blue or red: Rangers, Maple Leafs, Blues, Canucks, Sabres, Islanders and Penguins wore blue (although the Penguins' blue was a light blue); Canadiens, Black Hawks, Red Wings and Flames wore red. Only the North Stars, Seals, Kings, Flyers and Bruins wore something else.
Oops, I did blank out on the number of teams wearing blue in the WHA's first year, you're right.

Interesting that with 30 teams now, there is seemingly less variety in dark jersey colors in the NHL. You have ten teams with blue and ten with red. That's 2/3 of the league right there. Then 5 with black. That leaves Colorado (maroon), Phoenix (maroon), Philly (orange), San Jose (teal) and Nashville (yellow) as the only outliers. Not much variety, and NO green or purple!

Of course, third/alternate jerseys add a whole new wrinkle to the comparison, and increases the number of black jerseys by 5 and the number of blue jerseys by 2. And only in the alternates can you have a purple (Kings) or green (Minnesota). The monochrome NHL!

Old
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
You're probably thinking of Pittsburgh.
Ya, there you go, thats what I was remembering...
figured this belonged here as well;

From a strictly graphic design perspective, actually brilliant.

You either hate it or love it...

Old
03-18-2013, 02:18 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
Yesterday I was talking with my friends about NHL in our pub ... and we found a problem

was there any team in NHL with green - yellow jersey combination? (of course with yellow or green helmet)

something like this ...

green and yellow are the worst color combination you can use for hockey jerseys I'd say
yellow and green are great colors together.

What makes the jerseys in the pic above bad is A) the lack of some white to offset them. Since the colors are rather close on the spectrum you need something to break them up a bit otherwise they bleed into one another, and B) Yellow is better as a secondary color to green since it's so bright.

Here's another example of a great looking uniform with the color scheme used right and with a good white offset.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:30 AM
SealsFan

While searching for pics of Gary Smith for another thread, found these. First one shows him as goalie with the yellow/green skates, second shows him in the locker room with someone else's skates nearby, unfortunately in B&W

Old
03-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
...shows him as goalie with the yellow/green skates...
Thats interesting, and probably pretty rare & unusual. I dont ever recall seeing two toned goalie skates beyond basic black & brown, C.C.M. Tacks, while Bauer's were all black, later introducing white protective shells but with the black boot. Lange also came out with a goalie skate, black with white trim in the early 70's as I recall.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:16 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
yellow and green are great colors together.

What makes the jerseys in the pic above bad is A) the lack of some white to offset them. Since the colors are rather close on the spectrum you need something to break them up a bit otherwise they bleed into one another, and B) Yellow is better as a secondary color to green since it's so bright.
Vsetin's jerseys are actually pretty neat, certainly better than the black one in the background.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote