Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lucic and Horton

Old
04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Kaoz*

vCash: 500
I'm probably one of the biggest Lucic supporters on here, but I can agree he is overpaid by about 1 mill or so. I'd rather seem him making around 5mill, but I think that's more a function of Lucic being on this team then it is any expectations. Physicality is valued here more then many other teams, and because of that you need to pay for it.

At 20-30 goals, 50-60 points he's more then worth the money due to the physical aspect he brings, and you can't argue he brings it. You might want him to hit harder or fight more but if you remove Lucic from this team they get run over every night worse then they do now. He's consistently one of the top forwards in the league in hitting and this year is no different.

Like others have said, he can't carry the play offensively, he's a complimentary piece on your top line and one of the best in the league in that regards. Problem is, the line he's currently on needs him to carry the play... he's ill suited for it, he needs to be surrounded with high end skill. "Lots of players would be better if you surrounded them with high end skill" you say, well, that's true, but in this case unlike many others, it would be a mutually beneficial scenario. Imagine him on a line with Getzlaf and Perry, or Hall and Nugent Hopkins, or Sedin and Sedin... those lines would be absolutely terrifying.

He needs a high end center (Seguin?) and a high end goal scoring winger on the other side who can carry the play offensively. He'll create space for them, get in the dirty areas and wreak havoc on the oppositions D much like he did with Savard and Kessel. Right now he plays mostly in the neutral zone and in his own end, that line has little to no sustained offensive presence for the most part and that's not playing to his skill.

So although he is overpaid slightly, there is literally zero chance I'd ever be happy about moving him. Trade him to Edmonton and then we become the Oilers, screaming for a physical presence to go along with our skill guys. Trade him to Vancouver and we'd be paying them back for the Cam Neely trade, much to the same effect. Trade him to Anaheim and you make literally the scariest damn line anyones ever seen in Lucic-Getzlaf-Perry. And what a massive whole that would create on the Bruins...

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
PsychoDad

Ask 29 teams if they would take Lucic and his contract and you will hear "yes" 29 times.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:02 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
lotta sweet caroline vocalists here
Again, people love you here until you get paid.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Evander Kane hits slightly more than Lucic, and is obviously a better offensive weapon. 5.25m long term.

Chris Neil badly outhits Lucic, and this year isn't a huge offensive dropoff. 1.9m

Ott outhits Neil, is about 2/3's as offensively gifted at his best, 2.95m

David Backes does everything better than Lucic, for 4.5m long term

Callahan is a better hitter, leader and scorer, 4.25m

These players obviously don't grow on trees. But I think the agreement is that Lucic is 1 to 1.5m too rich, and if his offensive production stays like this for say 2+ years, then you could argue it's 2m+ too rich.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:10 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Again, people love you here until you get paid.
I think that's untrue. People love you when you produce according to what you get paid. It's a salary cap. There's no dogging it for 6m when a guy like Paille getting 1.3m a year, almost never takes a night off, has far less giveaways, and generally plays simpler/smarter hockey.

Last week when Lucic played on line 3 for two periods, I thought he played his simplest and best game. Not sure why they moved him off.

Btw I'd want nothing more than to see Lucic start to average 2 to 2.5 shots per game again, and just grind out in the blue paint. Get his 23-30g's a year (in a full 82), and take him that nice fat 6m. I'd be the first guy to congratulate him.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
PsychoDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Evander Kane hits slightly more than Lucic, and is obviously a better offensive weapon. 5.25m long term.

Chris Neil badly outhits Lucic, and this year isn't a huge offensive dropoff. 1.9m

This players obviously don't grow on trees. But I think the agreement is that Lucic is 1 to 1.5m too rich, and if his offensive production stays like this for say 2+ years, then you could argue it's 2m+ too rich.
Terrible post.

Evander Kane's best season is still worse than best two of Lucic. Kane is earning 5.25 already on his second contract, with RFA years included, while Lucic is earning six mil for UFA years.

Chris Neil.. really? The 33 year old guy with a career high of 33 points you compare to Lucic? I dont even know what to say. Really?

Ott.. no comment. Lucic is nothing but Ott. Ott is a lesser Marchand.

Backes.. have you watched St.Louis this year? If you think Lucic is a shadow of himself, watch Backes. Also, Backes has signed his contract 3! years ago, while Milans hasnt even kicked in yet. Apples to oranges.

Callahan.. Lucic outproduced him in all but 1 season they were both in this league. And is outproducing him right now. Maybe you should check how the Rangers are doing this year.. a hint - not good. His contract is also 2 years old.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:21 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I don't have any problem with Lucic's contract. The only thing I noticed is that he seems less physical right now; I don't know why that is, and I'm not talking about the fighting, but I feel like he isn't battlling as much as he could be. Of that whole line, I feel like Krejci is battling more than the two 'bruisers'.

In my opinion, for him to be worth 6 million, he's got to be playing with an edge every night. And I'm not seeing that this year; but all can be forgiven if it comes out at the right time!!

And Horton is Horton. He's streaky, he's playing more perimeter since the second concussion; but he can be timely and score some big goals. I don't think he's worth 5 million anymore; but if he can be signed for 3.5 to 4; then I'm all for having him back. I start there, and build it depending on the playoff run.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:23 AM
PsychoDad

Quote:
I think that's untrue. People love you when you produce according to what you get paid. It's a salary cap. There's no dogging it for 6m when a guy like Paille getting 1.3m a year, almost never takes a night off, has far less giveaways, and generally plays simpler/smarter hockey.

Last week when Lucic played on line 3 for two periods, I thought he played his simplest and best game. Not sure why they moved him off.

Btw I'd want nothing more than to see Lucic start to average 2 to 2.5 shots per game again, and just grind out in the blue paint. Get his 23-30g's a year (in a full 82), and take him that nice fat 6m. I'd be the first guy to congratulate him.
Lucis is earning 4 millions this season, not 6. People were saying that 4 mils was an overpayment before his contract kicked in and he exploded offensively.

Watch how he plays when he is ACTUALLY earning 6 mils before you judge him. Right now he is not overpayed at all.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Lucic, IMO, is the face of the franchise right now. I'm not worried about his contract at all.

Dude is a rare SPECIE!

04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post
Terrible post.

Evander Kane's best season is still worse than best two of Lucic. Kane is earning 5.25 already on his second contract, with RFA years included, while Lucic is earning six mil for UFA years.

Chris Neil.. really? The 33 year old guy with a career high of 33 points you compare to Lucic? I dont even know what to say. Really?

Ott.. no comment. Lucic is nothing but Ott. Ott is a lesser Marchand.

Backes.. have you watched St.Louis this year? If you think Lucic is a shadow of himself, watch Backes. Also, Backes has signed his contract 3! years ago, while Milans hasnt even kicked in yet. Apples to oranges.

Callahan.. Lucic outproduced him in all but 1 season they were both in this league. And is outproducing him right now. Maybe you should check how the Rangers are doing this year.. a hint - not good. His contract is also 2 years old.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post
Ask 29 teams if they would take Lucic and his contract and you will hear "yes" 29 times.
Sounds like we can get two and a half star players that can move and handle the puck for him then.

hemispheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Are you being sarcastic here as well? I seriously can't tell anymore!
The guy I quoted had more right than he had wrong.

People can't figure out that line is completely upside down when you have Lucic as the playmaker, and David Krejci battling in front of the net to score dirty goals? Really? Ok...

Some of the statements in here, some of them from people I respect, are just so disappointing. Don't know where to begin. Everyone wants a fall guy I guess. A lot of good hockey players who skate light years better than Lucic were cut from lesser teams. Then there's people who had their milk money shaken out of their pockets in HS, and went to the prom w/ Mom. Now Lucic has to pay. Oh well.

Kaoz nailed it. Trading Lucic would be the beginning of the end. Not to mention an express train right back to mediocrity.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Explain how he hops on a line w/ Peverley, hoofs it up the ice, blows away a dman, scores a goal like he was winding his watch.

Why doesn't that happen on Krejci's line, Bru? Lazy? Doesn't care?

You don't see how agonizingly ****ing slow that line is coming out of it's zone? They have to be the easiest line in the NHL to contain. Of course they look invisible. Most often, if they DO get out of their zone, it's b/c of Lucic. If they get a second chance of possession in the offensive zone, it's often b/c of Lucic. An example was tonight, overpowers a Dman, practically carries it to the point. Someone finally banged home a rebound.

Horton is brain dead, I don't know how many times that guy can get picked off in his own zone, or fumble pucks, chances, for people to figure out this guy is FUBAR.

Krejci? Yeah, as long as no one is near him, or the fact that people in wheelchairs are faster than him doesn't nullify his ability to contribute, he's Gretzky.

Put Lucic on the 3rd line. He'll be fine. Unless you put another decent skater on DK's line, he'll be buried in his zone along w/ Horton.
I cant explain Lucic's lack of physical play and that is the most perplexing. In fact, for him, I think it makes him as a player. Without the dominating physical presence he is simply just another player. And that is what we are seeing now.

Only thing I can say is that he is either tired, banged up or...and this is the worst of all worlds....is that he doesnt view himself as the player that made him successful.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I cant explain Lucic's lack of physical play and that is the most perplexing. In fact, for him, I think it makes him as a player. Without the dominating physical presence he is simply just another player. And that is what we are seeing now.

Only thing I can say is that he is either tired, banged up or...and this is the worst of all worlds....is that he doesnt view himself as the player that made him successful.
They should tell him what player he needs to be...Pretty hard to lead your team in goals, hits and fights. He can do better at all three, but he seems like he has an identity crisis right now.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Therick67

Quote:
They should tell him what player he needs to be...Pretty hard to lead your team in goals, hits and fights. He can do better at all three, but he seems like he has an identity crisis right now.
He just looks off. I also don't buy the arguement he's not trying, he is.
I think it's time for Clode to make real lineup changes, not just for a period.
Put Lucic with Seguin. I see him open alot, but the puck isn't getting to him.

I'd love to know how muh, if any time Cam spends with him. If anyone knows what it's like to play that style of game, its Cam.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Agreed, he almost looks confused. I'm sure he's been talked to about fighting and putting his team on the PK, and possible injuries, etc. I feel like this teams getting castrated by the system again. These were the same issues before the Cup year when Cam came aboard and let people know he'd pull food off their plates unless they shaped up. That's when they started taking chances, activating the d, going all in on the forechecking and sending people to the net instead of dump and chase, get outmanned and get back on D.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
The guy I quoted had more right than he had wrong.

People can't figure out that line is completely upside down when you have Lucic as the playmaker, and David Krejci battling in front of the net to score dirty goals? Really? Ok...

Some of the statements in here, some of them from people I respect, are just so disappointing. Don't know where to begin. Everyone wants a fall guy I guess. A lot of good hockey players who skate light years better than Lucic were cut from lesser teams. Then there's people who had their milk money shaken out of their pockets in HS, and went to the prom w/ Mom. Now Lucic has to pay. Oh well.

Kaoz nailed it. Trading Lucic would be the beginning of the end. Not to mention an express train right back to mediocrity.
OK thanks for the clarification. You've been somewhat sarcastic lately, so I wasn't sure how to read that post. I guess my meter needs a tune-up.

I totally agree with you on Lucic btw.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:45 PM
BobbyAwe

Trade Lucic and he will be flattening our team with a vengeance for the rest of his career and probably scoring some big goals against us also. It will wake him up, but he'll be on the other team He will come back to haunt us like Frankenstein's monster.

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
He just looks off. I also don't buy the arguement he's not trying, he is.
I think it's time for Clode to make real lineup changes, not just for a period.
Put Lucic with Seguin. I see him open alot, but the puck isn't getting to him.

I'd love to know how muh, if any time Cam spends with him. If anyone knows what it's like to play that style of game, its Cam.
Adding foot speed to that line would make all the difference. Even putting Paille on the other wing (not suggesting they do) would be the difference between playing in the offensive zone more, vs playing in their own. Of course he's going to kill you w/ finishing.

I think the reason Claude doesn't is Seguin's board work. As if Horton is some kind of master in this area. I mean every time they go up his boards, literally almost every time, they get hemmed in their own zone. Peverley like outlet passes to an already flying Lucic? There's a better chance of the new Pope admitting he's both gay and Jewish.

That often leaves Lucic flat footed on his boards making an outlet pass under pressure. As a well coached high school team can successfully pinch against that line. In that case, he has to hoof it up ice as the high forward behind his "Mike Gartner like fast" linemates, known for their ability to back up D-men, and hang on to the puck. Those big hits everyone wants just aren't going to be there, and haven't been! At best, he's looking at jersey numbers, and still often overpowers defenders and gets you the puck.

When David Krejci reverses the puck 15 times to a dman in his own zone, b/c he can't get a step on anyone, nor is going to ever win you a lot of battles. They spend even more time in their own zone. Eventually get possession w/ even more d to d passes, then they skate into a wall of defenders. Many times, fresh off the bench.

Is this **** that hard to figure out? We've been watching this for 3 ****ing years.

Claude won't budge. People actually celebrate how slow David Krejci is as if it's an asset, or that Nathan Horton is a flat tire that can pound home a gimme as if he's Mike Bossy. Then complain Lucic doesn't do enough, let alone hit? I give up. Trade him, **** it. Lucic and a 1st for AO.

Last edited by Neely08: 04-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:

These players obviously don't grow on trees. But I think the agreement is that Lucic is 1 to 1.5m too rich, and if his offensive production stays like this for say 2+ years, then you could argue it's 2m+ too rich.
This is sooooooo far fetched analysis Horton this way and it gets REAL ugly

Maybe put Horton on the 3rd line and see if you notice him .... Lucic >> Horton difference maker

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:10 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Adding foot speed to that line would make all the difference. Even putting Paille on the other wing (not suggesting they do) would be the difference between playing in the offensive zone more, vs playing in their own. Of course he's going to kill you w/ finishing.

I think the reason Claude doesn't is Seguin's board work. As if Horton is some kind of master in this area. I mean every time they go up his boards, literally almost every time, they get hemmed in their own zone. Peverley like outlet passes to an already flying Lucic? There's a better chance of the new Pope admitting he's both gay and Jewish.

That often leaves Lucic flat footed on his boards making an outlet pass under pressure. As a well coached high school team can successfully pinch against that line. In that case, he has to hoof it up ice as the high forward. Those big hits everyone wants just aren't going to be there! At best, he's looking at jersey numbers, and still often overpowers defenders and gets you the puck.

When David Krejci reverses the puck 15 times to a dman in his own zone, b/c he can't get a step on anyone, nor is going to ever win you a lot of battles. They spend even more time in their own zone. Eventually get possession w/ even more d to d passes, then they skate into a wall of defenders. Many times, fresh off the bench.

Is this **** that hard to figure out? We've been watching this for 3 ****ing years.

Claude won't budge. People actually celebrate how slow David Krejci is as if it's an asset, or that Nathan Horton is a flat tire that can pound home a gimme as if he's Mike Bossy. Then complain Lucic doesn't do enough, let alone hit? I give up. Trade him, **** it. Lucic and a 1st for AO.
The Bruins need one guy on that line with the speed to back the D in a little bit, so they can gain easy entrance and Lucic can build up some speed...He is awful carrying the puck in most times..

Old
04-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Neely08

Quote:
The Bruins need one guy on that line with the speed to back the D in a little bit, so they can gain easy entrance and Lucic can build up some speed...He is awful carrying the puck in most times..
Yet, he's still better than both his linemates, at least through the neutral zone. If Krejci has room? Sure. But when does that happen?

Know when it happens? Last night, Lucic carries over the line, backs up a D man, drops it to Krejci, continues to the net thus giving DK the space he needs to float one that even Horton can't **** up.

Way too much has to go right for this line to be successful consistently. And, this is in the regular season, it will get tighter in the playoffs. Then they'll be better? Right.

Last edited by Neely08: 04-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
MTaylorJ1

It's funny reading the blame threads, I mean, in 2010-11, the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line was a very successful one. What is it about their makeup now that leads people to think they can no longer be successful together. Instead we're seeing constant posts blaming 2 of the 3 for the difficulties of the 3rd.

The one thing that in my mind without a doubt needs to start happening is Lucic needs to start shooting more.

in 10-11 Lucic got 2.19 shots per game, Horton 2.35.
in *-13 Lucic 1.61 Horton 2.80

To me that screams Lucic is passing too much to his buddy in a contract year.

Also, Lucic is shooting at 9%, when his career is 15%, just that change gets him to 8-15-23 on the year, which is just under a 60 point pace.

I'm also of the mindset that this line in particular is hurt by the fact that the Bruins are only rolling 2 scoring lines right now. In the past, by the end of games this was the last line you'd want to see on the ice if you were a tired defense.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
It's funny reading the blame threads, I mean, in 2010-11, the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line was a very successful one. What is it about their makeup now that leads people to think they can no longer be successful together. Instead we're seeing constant posts blaming 2 of the 3 for the difficulties of the 3rd.

The one thing that in my mind without a doubt needs to start happening is Lucic needs to start shooting more.

in 10-11 Lucic got 2.19 shots per game, Horton 2.35.
in *-13 Lucic 1.61 Horton 2.80

To me that screams Lucic is passing too much to his buddy in a contract year.

Also, Lucic is shooting at 9%, when his career is 15%, just that change gets him to 8-15-23 on the year, which is just under a 60 point pace.

I'm also of the mindset that this line in particular is hurt by the fact that the Bruins are only rolling 2 scoring lines right now. In the past, by the end of games this was the last line you'd want to see on the ice if you were a tired defense.

That is the major problem I see with him right now. He's been shooting the puck more lately, but he needs to keep it up. Too often this year he's been looking to pass instead of shooting the puck.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
That is the major problem I see with him right now. He's been shooting the puck more lately, but he needs to keep it up. Too often this year he's been looking to pass instead of shooting the puck.
Completely valid. Worse, there's times he dishes the puck to DK when he doesn't want it, and when he should hang on to it, or drive to the net himself.