HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Matt niskanen to Toronto

Old
03-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Morlesio14*

vCash: 500
Matt niskanen to Toronto

Niskanen is not a bad option to play with phaneuf. What could the leafs give for him?

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:45 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Kulemin.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
BigBenSF*

Kulemin

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Kulemin
Nope.

Liles would be the guy offered. Niskanen is not the top pairing defencmean that motivates the Leafs to move an important piece or adjust the composition of their roster.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

vCash: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Kulemin
nah, rather keep kulemin.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
Niskanen is not a bad option to play with phaneuf. What could the leafs give for him?
What about a trade centered around Niskanen for Clarke MacArthur? He always puts up points against us

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:59 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Nope.

Liles would be the guy offered. Niskanen is not the top pairing defencmean that motivates the Leafs to move an important piece or adjust the composition of their roster.
So, wait - we give up a top two D pairing guy in Pittsburgh that improves your defense and we get in return a guy that was a healthy scratch for 12 consecutive games on a team that isn't good defensively and has a cap hit of 3.9 million the next three years? That is utterly dumb.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:00 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
What about a trade centered around Niskanen for Clarke MacArthur? He always puts up points against us
I hope this is a joke

Old
03-14-2013, 08:08 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Nope.

Seriously. Not wanting Niskanen is fine, not to keen on trading him either, but in what universe do you consider trading a good defenseman for a bad one a move that Pittsburgh would be enticed to make?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
jimmycarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
So, wait - we give up a top two D pairing guy in Pittsburgh that improves your defense and we get in return a guy that was a healthy scratch for 12 consecutive games on a team that isn't good defensively and has a cap hit of 3.9 million the next three years? That is utterly dumb.
he was a scratch because it's carlyle...keep in mind carlyle didnt think Lupul was top 6 when they were both with the Ducks...all-star captain soon thereafter.

ill give you the last two points though.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:18 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I hope this is a joke
Oh sorry I forgot, Niskanen is supposed to be our centerpiece in a trade for Stewart

I think the only think that makes it an uneven trade is that MacArthur is going to be a UFA really.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Not saying it's a good trade, that's simply who we'd have available for a defenceman of Niskanen's calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Seriously. Not wanting Niskanen is fine, not to keen on trading him either, but in what universe do you consider trading a good defenseman for a bad one a move that Pittsburgh would be enticed to make?
I don't think Pittsburgh would be enticed by that move, I'm simply saying who the Leafs would make available to get Niskanen.

I'd want Niskanen on the team... at the cost of Liles and a small additional asset not from our NHL roster. If that can't be done, that's fine.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Not saying it's a good trade, that's simply who we'd have available for a defenceman of Niskanen's calibre.

I don't think Pittsburgh would be enticed by that move, I'm simply saying who the Leafs would make available to get Niskanen.

I'd want Niskanen on the team... at the cost of Liles and a small additional asset not from our NHL roster. If that can't be done, that's fine.
Okay, put that way, it is reasonable. We just already have bottom pairing D coming out the ears, so there is really nothing available at the Pens store for one Mr. Liles.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

What are you willing to give? Pens aren't exactly in position to give a quality depth D like Niskanen away just for futures or a rental for that matter.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Morlesio14*

Well holzer is the worst player on the leafs and everything he plays with Phaneuf I want a trade even more

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

1: With Toronto not so far being able to find room for Gardiner, you have to wonder why they'd pick up a D-man rather than deal one and just play Jake.
2: Toronto fans suggesting that Pens receive a D-man back for Niskanen..... that is just as silly. The only reason Niskanen could be dealt is that we have so many quality D-men coming through.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
1: With Toronto not so far being able to find room for Gardiner, you have to wonder why they'd pick up a D-man rather than deal one and just play Jake.
2: Toronto fans suggesting that Pens receive a D-man back for Niskanen..... that is just as silly. The only reason Niskanen could be dealt is that we have so many quality D-men coming through.
If Niskanen is dealt (Big IF) he will be moved to acquire a quality third line guy that is a longer term solution, not a rental. JMO.

It is silly to think Pittsburgh would trade him for a lousy defenseman.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Re 1: I gathered from the other thread, that Leafs fans want a RHD, because Carlyle is OCD about his LH/RH D pairs and will continue to play Holzer over much better LHD. Which we should not help them out with, because Holzer makes me smile. As a not-Leafs fan.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Quote:
Nope.

Liles would be the guy offered.
Niskanen is not the top pairing defencmean that motivates the Leafs to move an important piece or adjust the composition of their roster.
What would be the motivation for the Pens to do this? Just to help out the Leafs? In no way would this trade improve the Pens. It would be lateral at best player-wise and significantly worse contract-wise.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
dubplatepressure

I dunno why leaf fans are still married to Kulemin... the guy clearly needs new linemates. Yah, he's pretty decent 2-ways, but he's been snake bitten hard here.

If we're talking about landing a stop-gap top-pairing defenseman to log minutes beside Phaneuf I hardly think that Kulemin is an unreasonable option going the other way.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I dunno why leaf fans are still married to Kulemin... the guy clearly needs new linemates. Yah, he's pretty decent 2-ways, but he's been snake bitten hard here.

If we're talking about landing a stop-gap top-pairing defenseman to log minutes beside Phaneuf I hardly think that Kulemin is an unreasonable option going the other way.
IMO, they are still married to him for what he did two years ago. They still think he can reclaim his 30-goal season. That is looking more and more like a fluke. Overall, still a good solid player though - just not a scorer.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Drew311
Austonishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post

I would argue that he's pretty much settled into the role of a strong defensive forward. His offensive instincts are completely gone, I don't care what any Leafs fan says. He almost never shoots, and when he does he misses the net or shoots it into the goalies chest. I think Kulemin needs an elite centre (*cough* Malkin) to squeeze any offensive production out of him. Personally, i'd like to see him produce offensively again, but it sure as hell won't happen with Grabovski.

The Leafs have a bunch of guys like Kulemin in their system who will be ready to take his spot within the next year or two. I would be fine with getting a quality defenseman like Niskanen back for Kulemin. This could at least be the basis for a larger deal.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Drew311
Austonishing

Quote:
IMO, they are still married to him for what he did two years ago. They still think he can reclaim his 30-goal season. That is looking more and more like a fluke. Overall, still a good solid player though - just not a scorer.
99% of Leafs fans think Kulemin will settle into being a 15 - 20 goal scorer. IMO he has to be traded to a better team and get regular top-6 minutes for this to happen. He will never score 30 goals again in the NHL, and the majority of Leafs fans realize this.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Not if you watched him between 2009-2011.

The guy's play has declined markedly since then and aside from speculation around the KHL plane crash (which took the life of his mentor, former Leaf Igor Korolev), nobody can really figure out why. It isn't just his goals that have evaporated, his point totals, shots, and shooting percentage have seen big drops as well. Last year, they were at pro career lows (including his seasons as a teenager in Russia). I'd be interested in seeing stats on the amount of turnovers he's forced along the boards, because based on just watching, it seems like those have fallen by the wayside as well.

He still is an effective defensive forward and I'd personally be willing to entertain a trade but be hesitant in making one. Kulemin was a very good player at his peak and if there's even a chance he can regain his form, then he needs to be given a fair chance to do that (here or elsewhere).

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Zbynek

Niskanen for Kulemin seems fair in value to me. Penguins might add but not much.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote