HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 05:45 AM
jaems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
We could get a good Dman by trading Stastny
I sort of doubt that. His value as at a low and I highly doubt he'd fetch a top pairing d-man at this point.

If we trade him away, it significantly cuts our already shoddy forward depth.

My take is that we should re-sign him at a lower rate, draft d-men, maybe sign some #3/#4 UFA d-men since that's the best available. It'll still suck majorly next year again, but I don't see us getting out of our defensive problems in one to two years.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
And who exactly have you in mind as his replacement?
Lake Erie has Malone and Carey who should sometimes get a spot. Sgarbossa is a much more talented version of McLeod. There are also many many more over in Europe who could probably take his spot and be at least almost as good and would cost only minimum salary.
I'll throw this guy here: (Nichlas Hardt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF9efFzq5uI

He is kind of a joker-card I admit, but he hits, crashes the net and is clutch as hell in the playoffs. The only thing he doesn't do is fight, but McLeod does that so poorly it doesn't really matter.
The only thing holding him back is probably that he should get some more muscle and it is always difficult to judge these players from Europe and how they can translate this game over here cause it's a bit different here and over there.

Seriously guys, McLeod isn't that good. He is very replaceable. But if we don't feel like we can find a replacement for him then don't trade him. I'm not saying we should trade him for whatever. But he for sure is someone we can trade if someone wants to pay a little extra (like a 2nd or a good prospect)

Old
03-18-2013, 09:51 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Cause then Stastny will be a pending UFA and will fetch no bigger return than Ribeiro or Roy did. At least now there is a chance of a team paying up more than that. Even though I doubt someone will.

If we can trade one out of our three top 6 centers I would glady do it, mainly because we are desperate for a defenseman.
He'll be a pending ufa but hell still have a year on his contract. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we can begin negotiating an extension with ror on July 1. If we can get oreilly locked up, we trade stastny this off season. His new team has a full year to negotiate an extension (there would also likely be a conditional pick based on his signing).

I just don't see the value of moving stastny at the deadline rather than the off season. If a top line dman is on the table I'd absolutely do it. I just don't see anyone letting go of someone like that at he deadline. That seems more like an offseason move of a team that feels it needs a new direction.

Edit: and I think I could see management moving one of Barrie or Elliot at the deadline. They're kind of similar players. They fill the same need. If the right package came along, they're movable. Obviously we aren't going for that last piece to win a cup, but I could see them going for a 25 y/o contributor that will help for years to come.

Last edited by tucker3434: 03-18-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
david999

Moving Stastny now would likely net better assets than waiting for the off-season. His cap hit is not going to be easy for many teams to take on, especially with it dropping next season. He has diminishing skills which hurts his trade value. There are going to be much more players available when the season ends as well. The trade deadline is when teams are likely to overpay for a player like Stastny.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Moving Stastny now would likely net better assets than waiting for the off-season. His cap hit is not going to be easy for many teams to take on, especially with it dropping next season. He has diminishing skills which hurts his trade value. There are going to be much more players available when the season ends as well. The trade deadline is when teams are likely to overpay for a player like Stastny.
Trade deadline and draft are the two chances to trade Stastny for a good haul. There are plenty of teams that need a center that can play #1 minutes, problem is 3 of the best trade partners will be in our division.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Trade deadline and draft are the two chances to trade Stastny for a good haul. There are plenty of teams that need a center that can play #1 minutes, problem is 3 of the best trade partners will be in our division.
Some of our best trade partners for Stastny would be Florida, Toronto and Phoenix. None of which will be in our division next year. Even Calgary and Vancouver can open up some options.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Some of our best trade partners for Stastny would be Florida, Toronto and Phoenix. None of which will be in our division next year. Even Calgary and Vancouver can open up some options.
True, but Nashville, St. Louis, and Winnipeg are in our division and Stastny would fit well on all of those teams.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

I still say Staz for Yandle

Add a pick or something

Old
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I don't think Avs trade Stastny now, unless a team blows them away with an offer.

I think Avs want to explore extending Stastny and/or O'Reilly and they can't until this summer. Without knowing how the land lies with O'Reilly, it's too risky trading Stastny. Besides at trade deadline, the number of buyers is smaller than in the summer.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Lake Erie has Malone and Carey who should sometimes get a spot. Sgarbossa is a much more talented version of McLeod.
Wait did you just compare Sgarbossa to Cody?

Old
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
True, but Nashville, St. Louis, and Winnipeg are in our division and Stastny would fit well on all of those teams.
Trade him to whoever gives the best value.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:00 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Trade him to whoever gives the best value.
This.

In divsion or not. If we get the better deal. Who cares how often we play him.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Colorado Avalanche

If we want good defenseman, It has to be struggling, just like Stastny with potential to play much better. That's only scenario we could end up with something really good.

For example this guy:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474574

TYLER MYERS

Old
03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
If we want good defenseman, It has to be struggling, just like Stastny with potential to play much better. That's only scenario we could end up with something really good.

For example this guy:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474574

TYLER MYERS
Risky, but if he works out the kinks, it would be a damn good deal for the Avs. IMO Myers needs a guy like Hejda to straighten his game out.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Tyler Myers is an insanely overpaid player who played up to his potential only is his 1st and a part of the 2nd season in the NHL, since then he went down hill fast. He has a huge body, but he's soft as hell, his decision making also leaves much to be desired. I would want no part of him.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Tyler Myers is an insanely overpaid player who played up to his potential only is his 1st and a part of the 2nd season in the NHL, since then he went down hill fast. He has a huge body, but he's soft as hell, his decision making also leaves much to be desired. I would want no part of him.
He is only overpaid for one more season. His actual salary is significantly lower than his cap hit in most of his years.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
It was just example. I don't think Buffalo would ever trade him for Stastny anyway.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
He wasn't even very good in his first season. Poor reads and high risk plays that worked out by accident more often than brilliance made him look like a good offensive player.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Wait did you just compare Sgarbossa to Cody?
Well a bit yes. They both have tenacity and the rough attitude, but Sgarbossa is the much more talented one.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Well a bit yes. They both have tenacity and the rough attitude, but Sgarbossa is the much more talented one.
Highlander isn't the proper comparison there. A Downie comparison is much better. A way less crazy Downie with a better shot.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
landesberg
varlamov4ever

Quote:
Sgarbossa has enough talent to one day possibly crack a spot as a 2nd liner, under the right conditions. Can't really say the same thing about Cody. IMO, Sgarbossa reminds me a lot of Alex Burrows, in his game and in his ability to get under players' skin. We'd definitely luck out if he develops like Burrows.

Mind you, Burrows started out as an undrafted player as well, and rose out of a checking/agitating role to a scoring role once he made it to the NHL. Can see Sgarbossa doing the same with the talent he has.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
JPurp26

Miller would play real well with Hejda. He was awesome with Tallinder, a veteran to help stabalize. Also as others have said, he makes most of his salary early.

Do you guys have interest in Ryan Miller.

Something along Varlamov + for Miller?

Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Miller would play real well with Hejda. He was awesome with Tallinder, a veteran to help stabalize. Also as others have said, he makes most of his salary early.

How about something like this

Varlamov+Hishon+ 1st rounder for Miller and Mcnabb?

Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post

This has to be a joke.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:05 PM
JPurp26

who is more interesting to you Leopold or Regehr, also what's the deal with O'Reilly, is he not able to be traded, will he once he plays out his current deal?

Closed Thread