HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#28 | New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers | Mar 16 | 7:30 PM |

Old
03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
redbull
Expect more

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Well, I'm using the term speed more in the sense of moving their feet. I would say Grabner is the only Islander where speed is THE asset. The rest of the team needs to be a hard-working and solid forechecking team as you correctly pointed out.

Have you noticed that there have been a high number of games that they have had only two or less powerplays in the game? And lately a few games with ZERO powerplays? When you have constant movement, constant pressure, you will draw penalties. Often, it seemed like the Panthers were outskating the Islanders. Islanders need to be a solid forechecking team, but only by constant movement, aka speed.
the lack of PPs is directly related to the lack of an established fore-check and offensive zone pressure. That's when teams tend to get penalties, to prevent scoring chances and that's almost always in their own zone, rarely in the neutral zone these days.

You're totally right, it's not just foot speed, it's the battle level and trying to fight through for pucks, winning the race to loose pucks, forcing mistakes. Isles don't do that with any regularity. This is the softest Isles team I've seen in a long time.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
the lack of PPs is directly related to the lack of an established fore-check and offensive zone pressure. That's when teams tend to get penalties, to prevent scoring chances and that's almost always in their own zone, rarely in the neutral zone these days.

You're totally right, it's not just foot speed, it's the battle level and trying to fight through for pucks, winning the race to loose pucks, forcing mistakes. Isles don't do that with any regularity. This is the softest Isles team I've seen in a long time.
THIS. You set up, control the zone and retain possession and make the opponent fight hard to break it up, they will take a penalty.

Speed? Helps....possession guarantees.

The post above I agree with 110 percent. The only pressure we put on opponents is either Tavares or the pressure in the sinus cavities caused by the need to yawn.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Well, I'm using the term speed more in the sense of moving their feet. I would say Grabner is the only Islander where speed is THE asset. The rest of the team needs to be a hard-working and solid forechecking team as you correctly pointed out.

Have you noticed that there have been a high number of games that they have had only two or less powerplays in the game? And lately a few games with ZERO powerplays? When you have constant movement, constant pressure, you will draw penalties. Often, it seemed like the Panthers were outskating the Islanders. Islanders need to be a solid forechecking team, but only by constant movement, aka speed.
I'd rather term it, "positioning and possession."

Red Army qualities Herb Brooks embraced.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote