HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Bailey 9th overall pick 08 revisited.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:15 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Josh Bailey 9th overall pick 08 revisited.

I was looking through the draft from 08 and noticed he has done pretty good considering what was picked after him and considering we kind of rushed him up. It was mostly a D heavy 1st round so it is a little tougher to judge but in hindsight I think we did pretty good overall. Thoughts?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html

07-06-2013, 09:16 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Bailey was the ninth pick.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:18 AM
boredmale

In terms of guys who were slotted to go around that time they might have been better off taking Myers, although at least they didn't take Beach

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Man, Garth struck gold that draft. I think if we were to add up all of his picks' games played, they would be at the, or close to the top in the league.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
In terms of guys who were slotted to go around that time they might have been better off taking Myers, although at least they didn't take Beach
Also, it wasn't like the other Centers/Forwards ahead of him did all that well either (Boedker,Wilson, and Filatov).

MattMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:31 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Man, Garth struck gold that draft. I think if we were to add up all of his picks' games played, they would be at the, or close to the top in the league.
Got a lot of key players for sure.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:34 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Also, it wasn't like the other Centers/Forwards ahead of him did all that well either (Boedker,Wilson, and Filatov).
I just remember Myers was slotted to go in the 10-12 range so when they were trading down I assumed they were going to draft him

Old
07-06-2013, 09:41 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I dont know about that, I would probably rather have Bailey over Myers right now. Myers has been awful since his sophmore season.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Riddick

the top 4 picks were pretty awesome but the the rest of that draft has been pretty 'meh' so far. tho i would love Sbisa or obviously Karlsson here...

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:16 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
the top 4 picks were pretty awesome but the the rest of that draft has been pretty 'meh' so far. tho i would love Sbisa or obviously Karlsson here...
Is that a joke?

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I dont know about that, I would probably rather have Bailey over Myers right now. Myers has been awful since his sophmore season.
I am guessing if Myers played for us he wouldn't be making 5.5M now

Old
07-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Isles Junkie

Still bugs me how he was rushed. Had he gone back to juniors for 2 years and then spent a year in the AHL, he'd probably be a much better player now because of it. With that said, he's a pretty reliable 2 way player right now who seems to be picking up his offensive game a bit. Barring no additions to the team, i'd like to see him back on the 1st line.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
Still bugs me how he was rushed. Had he gone back to juniors for 2 years and then spent a year in the AHL, he'd probably be a much better player now because of it. With that said, he's a pretty reliable 2 way player right now who seems to be picking up his offensive game a bit. Barring no additions to the team, i'd like to see him back on the 1st line.
i agree with you there. Bailey is a solid middle 9 NHLer right now and I also think he's starting to 'turn the corner' so to speak with his offense (Would be nice to see him shoot once in a while though). Great playmaking winger (Hemsky? lolz) for JT.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
He should've played in the world juniors as well. Legit top sixer now. Isles picked up assets by moving down as Garth waited to see what the Blues would do before moving the pick. Passed on Filatov thank goodness and who would be the most productive between Hodgson, Wilson, Boedeker and Bailey was anyone's guess. Myers was a name on the periphery based on his size and no one complained about not taking Karlsson as Boychuk, Beach and Tuebert were guys that looked like candidates to go 7-15 range.

What's hurts in retrospect was the demise of Trivino and the relegation of Ness to less than prospect status. Hamonic and Bailey are solid building blocks however and Petrov and Donovan may be good pieces as well. Matt Martin was a great pick. Jury still out on Poulin. Ullstrom?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
StrongIslanders90

the Success of that draft goes way beyond Bailey...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
kasper11

Bailey was a good not great pick at 9. He is a solid complimentary 2nd line player right now. He is still young enough to become more, but that is nothing to sneeze at.

I think a lot of people expect every top-10 pick to become a star, but the truth is that after pick 4 most do not. You are as likely to get a bust at that point as a star.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
BillD

Bailey does not use all his abilities because he lacks the necessary fire.
He plays hard, tried hard, but there is a reserve to his game that needs to be overcome for him to break out of his mediocre production. he isn't far away but mght as well be until he learns that second effort, quicker step, little risk. He could use some physicality to fire him up, get him over the hump.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Renbarg

I think josh has the capability of being a 20 goal -35 assist guy if he plays a 2nd line wing role. His offensive game is there. He just needs to put it together and he certainly can., very curious how he does this year starting out the year healthy and with a full training camp.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:16 PM
mack809f

2008 Draft

Besides Stamkos and Doughty is there any player in this draft you would take over Hamonic?

mack809f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack809f View Post
Besides Stamkos and Doughty is there any player in this draft you would take over Hamonic?
WOW...That's a great question....

Petro?

I guess you could argue Eberle as well

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:43 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
WOW...That's a great question....

Petro?

I guess you could argue Eberle as well
Um, Erik Karlsson?

Lot of players close to Hamonic's caliber in Voynov, Bogosian, Josi. You could argue they are all currently better than Hamonic but I don't think I'd pick any of them over him.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Islander Prophet

the Bailey pick is looking better and better every year. Honestly, looking at the selections in this draft, you can't really complain with what we got, it's not like we got a superstar (but you're not supposed to at #9 anyways) and we sure didn't get a huge bust like Filatov or Schenn or others like that.

And it's not like you can look at the players that were selected in the 20s and say we should have picked them because nobody would have done that at the time.

If you look at the 4 players before and after Bailey, he is arguably the best one of the bunch

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:05 PM
PK Cronin

Bailey is a lot better than his numbers show as well, he's really a solid player.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack809f View Post
Erik Karlsson. Maybe Eberle? But i think it's fair to say Hamonic is the 4th or 5th best player from that draft.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Renbarg

I would love to revisit that draft day thread. All the *****ing about Filatov, Schenn, and Wilson. 90% of the board calling Garth an idiot. If he did what this board wanted him to do, we would have been in far worse shape. Far, far, far worse.

There were also people *****ing about the Hamonic pick if I recall correctly. Claiming prospect A, B, C were better, and why did Garth think he knows more than scouting services?

Last edited by Renbarg: 07-06-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote