HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kichton rejects contract, likely to re-enter NHL draft (Drafted by WPG 190th overall)

Old
05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Any word on Theoret?
Nope, but his latest tweet was a picture of him and Scheifele golfing.

Are they like planning on signing with the Rangers?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I am upset we didnt sign him but I cannot blame the kid.. You work hard and you know your worth more. Why take peanuts. I turned down jobs in the past because I knew I was worth more then what the company was offering. Kitchon would probably be drafted in the 2nd round now or might even go late first round. He is older and NHL ready.. who wouldnt take a gamble on that.
I suspect he'll go in the 6th or 7th round.

Remember Anton Zlobin?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=129776

He was a year younger than Kichton, coming off a 40 goal season and a mem cup finals and he didn't go until the 6th round.

Problem with Kichton is not offense. He's got the same numbers he did in his draft year. He hasn't really improved his offense much, so unless the rest of his game has improved dramatically, he's probably worth LESS in the draft than he was at 18.

Of course, Kichton is free to do what he wants and I hope, for his sake, he does get the money and contract he thinks he deserves - but turning down an NHL contract is pretty ballsy. Especially given his age, his limitations as a small-ish, offensive defenseman in a game that values big defenseman so much more.

Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel thought they had an "easy out" with their loophole too.

Not to dwell on this, because I've always felt the NYI weren't very high on Kichton, nor do I expect him to be exceptional, but I think it's a mistake to turn down a pro contract when you're a small dman, middle round pick.

Far more upside in taking the contract and proving himself with PROS, in the AHL.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
He is undersized & that is why he fell to the 5th round. But he's been highly productive in juniors. He wants 1st or 2nd round $ and the Isles aren't willing to give it to him.
Chances are, like most guys who re-enter the draft, he won't be taken earlier than he originally was.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I am upset we didnt sign him but I cannot blame the kid.. You work hard and you know your worth more. Why take peanuts. I turned down jobs in the past because I knew I was worth more then what the company was offering. Kitchon would probably be drafted in the 2nd round now or might even go late first round. He is older and NHL ready.. who wouldnt take a gamble on that.
No, he won't and no he isn't. If anybody valued Kichton that high they would have offered the Isles a third round pick to get him cheaper. And don't forget, he put up similar points before the Isles got him in the fifth round.

He is an undersized defenseman that isn't a great skater and isn't reliable in his own zone. That is not a recipe for success.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
I think he's as good as gone but here's something from B.D. Gallof:

Quote:
50/50 shot of losing Kitchon - its about accepting the value Garth set vs what he thinks will be reaped via going back into draft #isles
https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/340207183373414400

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Kichton is Wes O'Neill all over again. Not comparing the two, just comparing the situation.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
IProblem with Kichton is not offense. He's got the same numbers he did in his draft year. He hasn't really improved his offense much, so unless the rest of his game has improved dramatically, he's probably worth LESS in the draft than he was at 18.
In all honesty, I think it's held the same. His age has gone up, a huge factor, but his offence is now being driven from himself.

In his draft year, Jared Cowen (9th overall in his draft year) was his partner and had 2 veteran PPG forwards to play off of. That had huge implications on his draft status, since some were suspecting that his numbers were primarily coming from them alone. While 2011-2013 was about a wash in offensive performance, there was a proof in those years that Kichton had the skill to drive a CHL team. The 2011-2012 team in particular was basically all Kichton and Uher.

So I think offence will be part of the equation...in particular, how much teams think Kichton isn't just leaching his offensive talent by playing behind some good forwards.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I suspect he'll go in the 6th or 7th round.

Remember Anton Zlobin?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=129776

He was a year younger than Kichton, coming off a 40 goal season and a mem cup finals and he didn't go until the 6th round.

Problem with Kichton is not offense. He's got the same numbers he did in his draft year. He hasn't really improved his offense much, so unless the rest of his game has improved dramatically, he's probably worth LESS in the draft than he was at 18.

Of course, Kichton is free to do what he wants and I hope, for his sake, he does get the money and contract he thinks he deserves - but turning down an NHL contract is pretty ballsy. Especially given his age, his limitations as a small-ish, offensive defenseman in a game that values big defenseman so much more.

Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel thought they had an "easy out" with their loophole too.

Not to dwell on this, because I've always felt the NYI weren't very high on Kichton, nor do I expect him to be exceptional, but I think it's a mistake to turn down a pro contract when you're a small dman, middle round pick.

Far more upside in taking the contract and proving himself with PROS, in the AHL.
Just out of curiosity, how do we even know Kichton was offered a contract by the Isles???........
Or what if he was offered a contract lower than the standard rate for that slot and round of the draft??

We have no clue how the contract talks went between Kichton and the Isles.... Let's not just assume Kichton flat out rejected some type of good, or at least fair.offer by the Isles... As usual, Snow released NO details of the negotiations, or lack there of.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:48 PM
boredmale

At this point the Islanders should try trade Kitchon. If they can get a 6th rounder(I am guessing it would be closer to 7th) that is better then nothing

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
I'm not losing an ounce of sleep over him if he reenters the draft

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:16 PM
InformTheMasses

Since this might be his last 24 hours as NY Islander prospect, I figured I would put together a quick highlight film. This is all from this season from Jan-March I didn't go back any further than that.

Kichton has many holes to his game but he was a good leader and as the highlights show, he is head of the class in stretch passes, slap passes and pinching in.

Whatever happens tomorrow, it was fun following and watching him play hockey the last few years.

Also, listen for one of the announcers eluding to Brenden Kichton doing the same job Jared Spurgeon used to under the same coach in Spokane a few years earlier. Now it looks like we may do the same thing with his protege and let him walk for nothing.

My only plea is that moving forward in the future if we are not going to think highly of smallish PP point men with right handed shots (Kichton, Spurgeon, Kessel), PLEASE DO NOT DRAFT THEM. That would save us all a lot of trouble. Not sure what the Islanders management thought these kids would turn into Bobby Orr's or mini Chris Prongers but clearly they didn't lack production.

Also, see if you can spot Griffin Reinhart (He was a victim of one of those slap-passes)

The sound is a little erratic, video quality varies as well. Apologies in advance

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Bunk Moreland

See ya:

Quote:
#Isles did not offer contracts to Brenden Kichton or Mitchell Theoret. Both may now be selected in the NHL Draft on June 30.
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...74081386311681

Old
05-31-2013, 10:27 AM
seafoam

And here you go...

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 2m
#Isles did not offer contracts to Brenden Kichton or Mitchell Theoret. Both may now be selected in the NHL Draft on June 30.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Wow, no offers to either player. Is this the 50 contract limit rearing it's ugly head?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:34 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Wow, no offers to either player. Is this the 50 contract limit rearing it's ugly head?
With regard to Kichton, Isles did make an offer a few months ago (according to Katie Strang, see first post). When Stape says no offer, he probably means no new offer, which makes sense if the Isles weren't willing to budge.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:35 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Little weird about Theoret, I thought the organization would have liked him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
With regard to Kichton, Isles did make an offer a few months ago (according to Katie Strang, see first post). When Stape says no offer, he probably means no new offer, which makes sense if the Isles weren't willing to budge.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for all the clarification in here and the Prospect thread kasper.

I'm surprised about Theoret though, I thought he was a slam dunk signing. He's boys with Strome (I assume) and had a very strong season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
xECK29x

Theoret may sting a bit, not loosing sleep over Kitchon

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Strome18

Quote:
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for all the clarification in here and the Prospect thread kasper.

I'm surprised about Theoret though, I thought he was a slam dunk signing. He's boys with Strome (I assume) and had a very strong season.

I have this feeling that they were not close or "BOYS" as you stated.
I remember in one game they met this year, that sticks and pushing, words were exchanged that did not seem to be very friendly.

Who knows...

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Bunk Moreland

From B.D. Gallof:

Quote:
Per NHL source: Kitchon wants 2nd-3rd round money. #isles

Old
05-31-2013, 11:08 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Theoret may sting a bit, not loosing sleep over Kitchon
Personally I think Kitchon is a better prospect then Theoret, but that is just me. While I don't think either guy was destined to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman the potential to become that was higher on Kitchon's part

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
From B.D. Gallof:

What exactly is the difference between 2nd-3rd round money vs 5th round money

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
or, they thought they have better options.

I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Snow and the Islanders, but I think "walking away from prospects" is something I cannot fault them too much for.

Simply don't have enough info or see the big picture.

Maybe Snow is saving the contracts for Bridgeport AHL depth, that they severely lack, that would help develop the younger players, especially the young defense (Mayfield, Pedan, deHaan, maybe Donovan again)

So Chris Bruton and Sean Backman maybe make more sense than Theoret and Kichton who would simply be more young, inexperienced players, probably not as good as the prospects they are already trying to develop?

And if we think they should be signed and traded or have their rights traded before - well, is there a market for this? I don't recall this happening much for unsigned players unless they were higher picks who refused to sign for other reasons.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Kichton is Wes O'Neill all over again. Not comparing the two, just comparing the situation.
Who was Wes O'Neill?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:23 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
What exactly is the difference between 2nd-3rd round money vs 5th round money
The difference is a little more bling, a kick in the nut sack, and a life-time of pissing away the rest of your career in the AHL/ECHL.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote