HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kichton rejects contract, likely to re-enter NHL draft (Drafted by WPG 190th overall)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
  #151
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Any word on Theoret?
Nope, but his latest tweet was a picture of him and Scheifele golfing.

Are they like planning on signing with the Rangers?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  #152
redbull
movin'on up
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I am upset we didnt sign him but I cannot blame the kid.. You work hard and you know your worth more. Why take peanuts. I turned down jobs in the past because I knew I was worth more then what the company was offering. Kitchon would probably be drafted in the 2nd round now or might even go late first round. He is older and NHL ready.. who wouldnt take a gamble on that.
I suspect he'll go in the 6th or 7th round.

Remember Anton Zlobin?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=129776

He was a year younger than Kichton, coming off a 40 goal season and a mem cup finals and he didn't go until the 6th round.

Problem with Kichton is not offense. He's got the same numbers he did in his draft year. He hasn't really improved his offense much, so unless the rest of his game has improved dramatically, he's probably worth LESS in the draft than he was at 18.

Of course, Kichton is free to do what he wants and I hope, for his sake, he does get the money and contract he thinks he deserves - but turning down an NHL contract is pretty ballsy. Especially given his age, his limitations as a small-ish, offensive defenseman in a game that values big defenseman so much more.

Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel thought they had an "easy out" with their loophole too.

Not to dwell on this, because I've always felt the NYI weren't very high on Kichton, nor do I expect him to be exceptional, but I think it's a mistake to turn down a pro contract when you're a small dman, middle round pick.

Far more upside in taking the contract and proving himself with PROS, in the AHL.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
  #153
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
He is undersized & that is why he fell to the 5th round. But he's been highly productive in juniors. He wants 1st or 2nd round $ and the Isles aren't willing to give it to him.
Chances are, like most guys who re-enter the draft, he won't be taken earlier than he originally was.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
  #154
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I am upset we didnt sign him but I cannot blame the kid.. You work hard and you know your worth more. Why take peanuts. I turned down jobs in the past because I knew I was worth more then what the company was offering. Kitchon would probably be drafted in the 2nd round now or might even go late first round. He is older and NHL ready.. who wouldnt take a gamble on that.
No, he won't and no he isn't. If anybody valued Kichton that high they would have offered the Isles a third round pick to get him cheaper. And don't forget, he put up similar points before the Isles got him in the fifth round.

He is an undersized defenseman that isn't a great skater and isn't reliable in his own zone. That is not a recipe for success.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
  #155
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 50
I think he's as good as gone but here's something from B.D. Gallof:

Quote:
50/50 shot of losing Kitchon - its about accepting the value Garth set vs what he thinks will be reaped via going back into draft #isles
https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/340207183373414400

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:23 PM
  #156
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Kichton is Wes O'Neill all over again. Not comparing the two, just comparing the situation.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
  #157
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
IProblem with Kichton is not offense. He's got the same numbers he did in his draft year. He hasn't really improved his offense much, so unless the rest of his game has improved dramatically, he's probably worth LESS in the draft than he was at 18.
In all honesty, I think it's held the same. His age has gone up, a huge factor, but his offence is now being driven from himself.

In his draft year, Jared Cowen (9th overall in his draft year) was his partner and had 2 veteran PPG forwards to play off of. That had huge implications on his draft status, since some were suspecting that his numbers were primarily coming from them alone. While 2011-2013 was about a wash in offensive performance, there was a proof in those years that Kichton had the skill to drive a CHL team. The 2011-2012 team in particular was basically all Kichton and Uher.

So I think offence will be part of the equation...in particular, how much teams think Kichton isn't just leaching his offensive talent by playing behind some good forwards.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
  #158
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I suspect he'll go in the 6th or 7th round.

Remember Anton Zlobin?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=129776

He was a year younger than Kichton, coming off a 40 goal season and a mem cup finals and he didn't go until the 6th round.

Problem with Kichton is not offense. He's got the same numbers he did in his draft year. He hasn't really improved his offense much, so unless the rest of his game has improved dramatically, he's probably worth LESS in the draft than he was at 18.

Of course, Kichton is free to do what he wants and I hope, for his sake, he does get the money and contract he thinks he deserves - but turning down an NHL contract is pretty ballsy. Especially given his age, his limitations as a small-ish, offensive defenseman in a game that values big defenseman so much more.

Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel thought they had an "easy out" with their loophole too.

Not to dwell on this, because I've always felt the NYI weren't very high on Kichton, nor do I expect him to be exceptional, but I think it's a mistake to turn down a pro contract when you're a small dman, middle round pick.

Far more upside in taking the contract and proving himself with PROS, in the AHL.
Just out of curiosity, how do we even know Kichton was offered a contract by the Isles???........
Or what if he was offered a contract lower than the standard rate for that slot and round of the draft??

We have no clue how the contract talks went between Kichton and the Isles.... Let's not just assume Kichton flat out rejected some type of good, or at least fair.offer by the Isles... As usual, Snow released NO details of the negotiations, or lack there of.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:48 PM
  #159
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 500
At this point the Islanders should try trade Kitchon. If they can get a 6th rounder(I am guessing it would be closer to 7th) that is better then nothing

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
  #160
Kvashinator12
Registered User
 
Kvashinator12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 7,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
I'm not losing an ounce of sleep over him if he reenters the draft

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:16 PM
  #161
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Since this might be his last 24 hours as NY Islander prospect, I figured I would put together a quick highlight film. This is all from this season from Jan-March I didn't go back any further than that.

Kichton has many holes to his game but he was a good leader and as the highlights show, he is head of the class in stretch passes, slap passes and pinching in.

Whatever happens tomorrow, it was fun following and watching him play hockey the last few years.

Also, listen for one of the announcers eluding to Brenden Kichton doing the same job Jared Spurgeon used to under the same coach in Spokane a few years earlier. Now it looks like we may do the same thing with his protege and let him walk for nothing.

My only plea is that moving forward in the future if we are not going to think highly of smallish PP point men with right handed shots (Kichton, Spurgeon, Kessel), PLEASE DO NOT DRAFT THEM. That would save us all a lot of trouble. Not sure what the Islanders management thought these kids would turn into Bobby Orr's or mini Chris Prongers but clearly they didn't lack production.

Also, see if you can spot Griffin Reinhart (He was a victim of one of those slap-passes)

The sound is a little erratic, video quality varies as well. Apologies in advance


InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:26 AM
  #162
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 50
See ya:

Quote:
#Isles did not offer contracts to Brenden Kichton or Mitchell Theoret. Both may now be selected in the NHL Draft on June 30.
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...74081386311681

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:27 AM
  #163
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,919
vCash: 50
And here you go...

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 2m
#Isles did not offer contracts to Brenden Kichton or Mitchell Theoret. Both may now be selected in the NHL Draft on June 30.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
  #164
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Wow, no offers to either player. Is this the 50 contract limit rearing it's ugly head?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:34 AM
  #165
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Wow, no offers to either player. Is this the 50 contract limit rearing it's ugly head?
With regard to Kichton, Isles did make an offer a few months ago (according to Katie Strang, see first post). When Stape says no offer, he probably means no new offer, which makes sense if the Isles weren't willing to budge.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:35 AM
  #166
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
Little weird about Theoret, I thought the organization would have liked him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
  #167
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
With regard to Kichton, Isles did make an offer a few months ago (according to Katie Strang, see first post). When Stape says no offer, he probably means no new offer, which makes sense if the Isles weren't willing to budge.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for all the clarification in here and the Prospect thread kasper.

I'm surprised about Theoret though, I thought he was a slam dunk signing. He's boys with Strome (I assume) and had a very strong season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
  #168
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 500
Theoret may sting a bit, not loosing sleep over Kitchon

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
  #169
Strome18
Registered User
 
Strome18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for all the clarification in here and the Prospect thread kasper.

I'm surprised about Theoret though, I thought he was a slam dunk signing. He's boys with Strome (I assume) and had a very strong season.


I have this feeling that they were not close or "BOYS" as you stated.
I remember in one game they met this year, that sticks and pushing, words were exchanged that did not seem to be very friendly.

Who knows...

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
  #170
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 50
From B.D. Gallof:

Quote:
Per NHL source: Kitchon wants 2nd-3rd round money. #isles

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:08 AM
  #171
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Theoret may sting a bit, not loosing sleep over Kitchon
Personally I think Kitchon is a better prospect then Theoret, but that is just me. While I don't think either guy was destined to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman the potential to become that was higher on Kitchon's part

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
  #172
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
From B.D. Gallof:

What exactly is the difference between 2nd-3rd round money vs 5th round money

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
  #173
redbull
movin'on up
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Wow, no offers to either player. Is this the 50 contract limit rearing it's ugly head?
or, they thought they have better options.

I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Snow and the Islanders, but I think "walking away from prospects" is something I cannot fault them too much for.

Simply don't have enough info or see the big picture.

Maybe Snow is saving the contracts for Bridgeport AHL depth, that they severely lack, that would help develop the younger players, especially the young defense (Mayfield, Pedan, deHaan, maybe Donovan again)

So Chris Bruton and Sean Backman maybe make more sense than Theoret and Kichton who would simply be more young, inexperienced players, probably not as good as the prospects they are already trying to develop?

And if we think they should be signed and traded or have their rights traded before - well, is there a market for this? I don't recall this happening much for unsigned players unless they were higher picks who refused to sign for other reasons.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
  #174
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Kichton is Wes O'Neill all over again. Not comparing the two, just comparing the situation.
Who was Wes O'Neill?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:23 AM
  #175
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
What exactly is the difference between 2nd-3rd round money vs 5th round money
The difference is a little more bling, a kick in the nut sack, and a life-time of pissing away the rest of your career in the AHL/ECHL.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.