HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey and..cycling, running or swimming?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:01 PM
IslesZoso

vCash: 500
Hockey and..cycling, running or swimming?

If you could choose only one of these 3 activities as it might relate to hockey fitness, which one would it be and why?

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

All three would be good off-season options. Cycling is low impact and works the legs and helps with cardio. Same with running although that's higher impact, probably better as sprints. Swimming I think would help if your body is worn down to recuperate.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:08 PM
newfr4u

depends. what are your goals for training, what are your strengths/weaknesses?

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Funkmarkoflex

Swimming is the best for all around fitness imo (like cross-country skiing). But just like newfr4u said, it depends on what you want to focus on, your strenghts and weaknesses.

Funkmarkoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
bojaffa

I would have to say cycling.I spend alot of time on my road bike.Low impact and you can do all kinds of different workouts.Being in better cardio shape for ice time keeps me motivated.

bojaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:08 PM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesZoso View Post
If you could choose only one of these 3 activities as it might relate to hockey fitness, which one would it be and why?
According the U.S.A. Hockey strength and conditioning coach, biking is a terrible activity for hockey players. The motion of pedaling tightens the hips. The motion of skating needs flexible hips and the pedaling motion tightens the muscles necessary for the skating motion. He recommends tennis because of its side to side movement and because of the short bursts that simulate hockey bursts. He also said lacrosse because of the short run up and down the field and of course the stick work.

Of your 3 choices swimming would be the activity that would probably be best so to not tighten your muscles. It would probably let your retain flexibility needed for hockey

tijuana knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Extremely high paced running, stopping/starting type stuff. Helps with explosiveness and all that jazz.

FlowNoMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:15 PM
windycity

ok, kinda off topic, but yoga/pilates for strength (esp core) and flexibility

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
AcidJazz

Or... you could just play more hockey.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
IslesZoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
depends. what are your goals for training, what are your strengths/weaknesses?
I'll be 50 years old in 6 months and I'd like to improve my wind on the ice, as well as my recovery time while on the bench.

Swimming seems to be the most challenging from an agility standpoint, as it requires you to use your entire body. Especially if you use all the different strokes (crawl, breast, side, back, etc.), not to mention the timing and breathing control needed to put it all together. But I rarely see swimming mentioned in conjunction with ice hockey training.

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
jaysoneil

I don't swim too often anymore, but I'm all for it because it benefits all aspects of training, enabling you to target all muscles in a wide variety of exercises. It has so much more versatility than running/biking. That, and swimming is fun.

Pool running is pretty common, though it's more used for rehab or injuries. It's low impact and the harder/faster you run, the more resistance.

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
nuckss

Ray bourque credited riding his bike with keeping him injury free and keeping him in the league for so long. I do a lot of cycling and the quad strength it gives you is totally helpful for hockey. You can do sprints between traffic lights etc. It is true you need to keep up with the stretching though. My back is killing me now because my hamstrings are so tight it wrecks my back when I bend over.

nuckss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:06 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
I'll be 50 years old in 6 months and I'd like to improve my wind on the ice, as well as my recovery time while on the bench.

Swimming seems to be the most challenging from an agility standpoint, as it requires you to use your entire body. Especially if you use all the different strokes (crawl, breast, side, back, etc.), not to mention the timing and breathing control needed to put it all together. But I rarely see swimming mentioned in conjunction with ice hockey training.
yeah, i'm going to have to go with swimming is not the optimal option, and neither is cycling. those are more prolonged sets, much longer than hockey shifts. swimming also works a lot more of upper body than what your goals call for.

sprints, and hill sprints, are probably the right answer, unless you have knee issues with impact and such. that alone will help recovery on the bench, but if you feel that your shifts are getting better, yet you can't catch your breath on the bench, you can throw in some 1 mile jogs, or 3 10-minute swimming sets once a week or something.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Funkmarkoflex

Quote:
Best activity for recovery (imo again) would be intervals running:

1 – Run for 30 seconds at 75% of your maximum intensity.

2- After step 1, continue jogging at a slow pace for 90 seconds.

3- Repeat the process for a total of 5 times, increasing your intensity each time.

Funkmarkoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
JR97

I cycle a lot and jump in the pool quite a bit. I don't necessarily "train" in the pool. But I get the heart rate up there for long periods of time.

I don't get the expert suggesting cycling is bad for hockey muscles. It sort of makes sense about the hips but it also makes me question either improper cycling technique or an ill fitting bike. I mostly road bike and while the muscles used don't translate exactly to hockey, cycling does strengthen the lower body and to some degree, the core. Moreover, stationary bikes are a mainstay in hockey training rooms, so what does that say?

The other either thing about road biking, is you can work out different muscles just by adjusting cadence, stance, etc. ie standing up and pumping it out versus sitting and spinning higher rpm's.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Danglous

As a guy who struggles with knee problems, I think cycling is the best option just because its low impact.

Sure, it doesnt mimic the skating stride but its great for cardio and helps build lower body strength and endurance

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Ryp37

vCash: 50
Skip rope, swimming and play pick up hockey on roller blades

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Zdeno Chara is a big biking guy.
But if i can only choose one, I have to choose swimming. Attacks more of the body.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

According to some recent research or something over here...

30 minutes of swimming burns more calories and stuff than 30 minutes of running/cycling...

Take that, as you will.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
According to some recent research or something over here...

30 minutes of swimming burns more calories and stuff than 30 minutes of running/cycling...

Take that, as you will.
If you had 5 big macs in a day you would still be under the recommended daily amount of calories. That doesn't make it better for you than eating the daily amount of calories in normal food

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:16 PM
nwharris74

I run 15 - 20 miles a week. Also I live in the mountains, so there are is a fair amount of uphill. I think it helps me with recovery on the bench and perhaps with speed although I'm not the fastest guy on the ice. I think the problem with running is if you don't throw in a sprint every now in then, it does nothing for anaerobic conditioning.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:59 AM
American in Paris

It's mostly due to the body's heat loss in lower than body-temp water. You can achieve the same effect by sitting in a walk-in fridge, but that doesn't mean it will help your hockey game.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Unless you're a high level athlete (high school, college, professional, national, etc) I think just about any exercise will be beneficial for you. Sure, some exercises will be more sport-specific, but for most of us (especially posting on a message board), the goal is to be healthier to live longer and with less pain.

If you enjoy it and it's not hurting you, do it. Swimming, cycling, weight lifting, yoga, whatever. Your average rec leaguer isn't going to get worse because they like to go for a jog a couple times a week.

The big thing, IMO, is to avoid injury. So running or even sprinting if you're overweight could be a bad idea. Lots and lots of stress on the joints. If you're in decent shape, I think a jog with proper shoes and on a softer surface would be great. Or weight lifting, too much weight and/or bad technique will cause problems.

I always like to come back to this series, with a lot of experts in the field giving their thoughts. It's kind of all over the map, but there's good information in there.

And newfr4u is a great poster if you want to learn about weight lifting, helped me quite a bit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
For me its cycling as I don't like swimming and intensely dislike running. Running is also not a healthy sport as it will likely damage your knees and ankles. I cycled for years before I started hockey, and it has helped tremendously, as does the P90X program, which I use selectively as some of the videos are a bit boring. The core, abs, and cardio are especially helpful for retaining my energy level for hockey.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
AcidJazz

If you don't have a lot of time, look into Kettlebells. Works out several muscles at once and puts your body through hell. Fantastic workout.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote