HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky Signs 2-year Extension ($4.75M/year + NMC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
  #51
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,393
vCash: 500
FA's will react differently to isles proposals now. The cap went down and players (Getzlaf) still feel entitled to growing wages. Within 2 years the **** is going to hit the fan and we will get some of it sprayed over our beautiful franchise, whether we want it or not

I know i cant have it every other way, but i would rent away streit and still try to resign him in the off season.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
  #52
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
A GM working in a 'realistic' manner has determined who of his UFAs he wants to keep and has them signed by the trade deadline. If not, bodies move.

This isn't necessarily how Garth has functioned in recent years - quite the contrary actually.

From the outside looking in, the resigning of each of Nabakov, Streit and Visnovsky would be seen as a good thing.

If Nabby is resigned, then one has to wonder what the Thomas contract ultimately means going forward, especially with Dipi contractually still in the picture and with two young goalies who were supposed to be the promising future in goal (and this season has given little indication of any such thing).

As for Streit and Visnovsky, there's no doubt that each can shoot from the blueline and each has playmaking skills that are accompanied by an ability and tendency to rush the puck, albeit at an average speed.

In general though, neither is close to being a defensive beast and neither is winning many strength-based battles against opponents. In addition, having these two PP beasts hasn't necessarily led to a better PP. Statistically, ours may be the best it's been for years, but a frequently crisp and dangerous man advantage has not been taking place all that often. I thoroughly expected more blueline QBing and well, dominance when these two guys are out there.

Also, having these two in the line-up leaves precious little space for what is really necessary: two or three Seabrook/Carle style Dmen. We know we're moving on with Hamonic and MacDonald going forward. Strait is in the picture. We know that Carkner is contractually hanging around (and looked downright awful in the handful of games he played) and of course, there's Hickey, Finley and Donovan, the latter of which needs to be given a shot at some point. Then of course, one has to see if de Haan can come back and get back into the fray.

Basically, if you ask me, Visnovsky and Streit are simply too one-dimensional and too similar to both be hanging around. I don't know how successful the team can be in the standings over 82 games if it boasts two Dmen with 10-30-40 and -20 stats.
Exactly right. Streit and Visk are basically the same player - undersized, puck movers, who struggle playing D. They are 5th/6th pairing Dman, who play on the first unit PP. Streit blows coverage and is caught up ice all that time. He is often the primary reason the Islanders give up a goal. You cannot expect him to play alot of minutes and not give up goals. Visk is similar, better positionally, but seems genuinely unconcerned with giving up goals and in no way shape or form is going to put his body in harms way. Either way, these guys cant log top 4 minutes.

Even Macdonald is a similar player. He has more effort and will to compete. I would think he would be a 4 guy in this DEF long term, maybe with Hammer as a 3rd.
You are right though, this team needs to bring in a couple Dman that can log minutes as a plus player against top lines or we are never going to get better. Keeping Streit and Visk both leaves 0 room for improvement, defensively.

I personally expect Garth to sign one or the other, depending on what can be agreed upon, and move the other one. I would be interested in Gryba from the Sens or even Bishop. Visk + could get it done...

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
  #53
LeapOnOver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 3,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
For the record, he lives in Los Angeles.
AHHH! That explains the entire history of the disjointed and incoherent ramblings. Another victim of the smog...so sad...

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
  #54
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,588
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
[/B]

Exactly right. Streit and Visk are basically the same player - undersized, puck movers, who struggle playing D. They are 5th/6th pairing Dman, who play on the first unit PP. Streit blows coverage and is caught up ice all that time. He is often the primary reason the Islanders give up a goal. You cannot expect him to play alot of minutes and not give up goals. Visk is similar, better positionally, but seems genuinely unconcerned with giving up goals and in no way shape or form is going to put his body in harms way. Either way, these guys cant log top 4 minutes.

Even Macdonald is a similar player. He has more effort and will to compete. I would think he would be a 4 guy in this DEF long term, maybe with Hammer as a 3rd.
You are right though, this team needs to bring in a couple Dman that can log minutes as a plus player against top lines or we are never going to get better. Keeping Streit and Visk both leaves 0 room for improvement, defensively.

I personally expect Garth to sign one or the other, depending on what can be agreed upon, and move the other one. I would be interested in Gryba from the Sens or even Bishop. Visk + could get it done...
Teams have five or six defensive pairings?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:01 AM
  #55
LeapOnOver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 3,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Teams have five or six defensive pairings?
They are paired as 5th/6th dman. What he stated actually works out grammatically.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:28 AM
  #56
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Look at the taxes and you get your answer. Quiet streets are slowly disappearing. The middle class can't afford to live there because the taxes are too high and the salaries never caught up with inflation. I think you probably have a golden spoon in your mouth to be talking that way, which is why you may think Radek wants to stay. He can afford it. The point is LI is doing it's best to kick the middle class out so the rich can take care of the poor. What are you a north forker or something lmao!!!
From LI....so ya know. Love it there. HATE the government in LI Nassau and NY state.

THAT SAID.....you try living somewhere else and tell me LI is not awesome. Thanks. The people on LI are just awesome. Even Strummer.


So.....if you HAVE MONEY.....yes. LI is a great place to live. Wanna turn it into a proliteriat/oppressive model argument, we'll probably agree as $2k in taxes a year is a bit rash IMHO.


And Strummer, I'm moving back once sanity is restored in this country and on LI. Maybe a bit sooner with luck. FWIW, I don't live in LA, I live in OC.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:29 AM
  #57
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
In Sweden I have to pay 50%~ of my wage in taxes. Do not talk about taxes, they do not exist in USA.

OnT: To be honest, I think that both Vis and Nabby are going to resign. 1 year for each of them, let our prospects develop one more year in the minors.
quiet, he's on a roll.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:32 AM
  #58
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
AHHH! That explains the entire history of the disjointed and incoherent ramblings. Another victim of the smog...so sad...
better to ramble than have lips that smell like Snow's used Chipotle.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
  #59
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,098
vCash: 500
I read that they are trying to resign Streit, Vis, and Nabokov. Coming back next season with the same team as this year and just adding some rookies is not the answer. Our Defense is small and not very physical and our goaltending needs an upgrade. I'd love to see just one of Vis or Streit resigned but not both. We definetly need a big shut down D-man to play with Harmonic on the top pairing. Then maybe Amac and Strait can be moved down to second or third pairing where they belong. Nabokov, IMO, is not a #1 goalie but many on here think he is. I'd like to see an upgrade in that area also. And last but not least, a real NHL coach!

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
  #60
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I read that they are trying to resign Streit, Vis, and Nabokov. Coming back next season with the same team as this year and just adding some rookies is not the answer. Our Defense is small and not very physical and our goaltending needs an upgrade. I'd love to see just one of Vis or Streit resigned but not both. We definetly need a big shut down D-man to play with Harmonic on the top pairing. Then maybe Amac and Strait can be moved down to second or third pairing where they belong. Nabokov, IMO, is not a #1 goalie but many on here think he is. I'd like to see an upgrade in that area also. And last but not least, a real NHL coach!
we have trouble signing players, so let's sign our own, especially if they can play. Upgrades that you describe are necessary, but need to come via trade. The UFA market is a disaster - filled with overpayment of good players or simply a lot of crap players that teams didn't want to hold on to. Unlike Perry and Getzlaf.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
  #61
ichabod13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbren92 View Post
Do you guys think that having a higher profile player like Vis, who was so opposed to coming her to begin with, resign will have a ripple effect throughout the free agent pool?
nabakovs re-signing didnt lure any free agents, and hes just as big of a name as visnovsky.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
  #62
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
nabakovs re-signing didnt lure any free agents, and hes just as big of a name as visnovsky.
Actually Visnovsky is a bigger name than Nabokov. Two more letters.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  #63
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
nabakovs re-signing didnt lure any free agents, and hes just as big of a name as visnovsky.
There was nobody worth signing to a crazy contract this past off-season. Obviously we weren't going to get Suter or Parise. Jokinen was the only name that really rejected an Islander contract (as far as we know).

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
  #64
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Actually Visnovsky is a bigger name than Nabokov. Two more letters.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
  #65
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,588
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
There was nobody worth signing to a crazy contract this past off-season. Obviously we weren't going to get Suter or Parise. Jokinen was the only name that really rejected an Islander contract (as far as we know).
Indeed, Matt Carle essentially got a John Tavares contract. 5.5M over 6 years and is putting up so-so numbers.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:31 AM
  #66
LeapOnOver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 3,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
From LI....so ya know. Love it there. HATE the government in LI Nassau and NY state.

THAT SAID.....you try living somewhere else and tell me LI is not awesome. Thanks. The people on LI are just awesome. Even Strummer.


So.....if you HAVE MONEY.....yes. LI is a great place to live. Wanna turn it into a proliteriat/oppressive model argument, we'll probably agree as $2k in taxes a year is a bit rash IMHO.


And Strummer, I'm moving back once sanity is restored in this country and on LI. Maybe a bit sooner with luck. FWIW, I don't live in LA, I live in OC.
I'd have to say that for the first time I 100% agree with you. I miss LI but I don't miss the taxes and government. Everything else was excellent though. I'd have to say though after living on LI, VT, CT, MD, TX and South Korea...S. Korea comes in a close second to LI. Anything is better than TX!!!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:09 AM
  #67
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
FA's will react differently to isles proposals now. The cap went down and players (Getzlaf) still feel entitled to growing wages. Within 2 years the **** is going to hit the fan and we will get some of it sprayed over our beautiful franchise, whether we want it or not

I know i cant have it every other way, but i would rent away streit and still try to resign him in the off season.
honestly...the visual of this happening to wang made me laugh pretty good.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:11 PM
  #68
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I'd have to say that for the first time I 100% agree with you. I miss LI but I don't miss the taxes and government. Everything else was excellent though. I'd have to say though after living on LI, VT, CT, MD, TX and South Korea...S. Korea comes in a close second to LI. Anything is better than TX!!!
My gf wanted me to consider Texas.....after CA goes completely to hell.

I'm, uh, wish it were better. If I'm gonna do that weather, I'd rather do N.Fla.

But, yeah.....LI beats them all. Now only if LI could secede.....

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
  #69
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 3,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
My gf wanted me to consider Texas.....after CA goes completely to hell.

I'm, uh, wish it were better. If I'm gonna do that weather, I'd rather do N.Fla.

But, yeah.....LI beats them all. Now only if LI could secede.....
Nothing beats Cali climate and landscape.

I could see myself living in the Austin or San Antonio area of Texas. Been to Austin twice, once in September and once in October and both times it was great

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:32 PM
  #70
Tavaresfan91
Registered User
 
Tavaresfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 500
i think we should keep them both but if we keep nabby he has to split with another goalie, he wont be able to handle all the work load.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
  #71
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Nothing beats Cali climate and landscape.

I could see myself living in the Austin or San Antonio area of Texas. Been to Austin twice, once in September and once in October and both times it was great
and the people are super nice.

But culturally, I'd be a 1986 Met in a Houston bar.

On Cali climate......trust me, it's not as nice as you'd think. Cold desert air in the summer nights, I can't sleep with the windows open without waking up with a cold. Daytime is nice.....but I miss the rain and snow. Wait til the Santa Anas....winds dry and hot. But.....for the most part it's amazing once you get used to it. 13 years and I still lose all cold symptoms and feel great when I step out of the airport in JFA or LAG when I breath clean NY air.......the smog is that bad.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
  #72
LeapOnOver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 3,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Nothing beats Cali climate and landscape.

I could see myself living in the Austin or San Antonio area of Texas. Been to Austin twice, once in September and once in October and both times it was great
Yeah, those are nice months, try March through August and tell me if you still feel the same....

I ended up being allergic to southern grass as well and the only time I feel 100% is when i'm in the northeast.

Don't let the ternm "Southern Hospitality" fool you either. All it means is people will be nice to your face, but behind your back it's all fair game. I'd rather live in NY where people tell you how they feel to your face.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:02 PM
  #73
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 3,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
and the people are super nice.

But culturally, I'd be a 1986 Met in a Houston bar.

On Cali climate......trust me, it's not as nice as you'd think. Cold desert air in the summer nights, I can't sleep with the windows open without waking up with a cold. Daytime is nice.....but I miss the rain and snow. Wait til the Santa Anas....winds dry and hot. But.....for the most part it's amazing once you get used to it. 13 years and I still lose all cold symptoms and feel great when I step out of the airport in JFA or LAG when I breath clean NY air.......the smog is that bad.
Fair points and I've only ever really experienced the bay area.

I never minded NY weather when I was a kid, student or taught tennis locally in garden city. I used to look forward to the snow. Once I because an automaton worker bee commuting into the city I learned to hate the extreme cold, extreme heat, short days, and the overall filth and overpopulation of NYC.

I still love late summer/early fall here though.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:57 PM
  #74
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Yeah, those are nice months, try March through August and tell me if you still feel the same....

I ended up being allergic to southern grass as well and the only time I feel 100% is when i'm in the northeast.

Don't let the ternm "Southern Hospitality" fool you either. All it means is people will be nice to your face, but behind your back it's all fair game. I'd rather live in NY where people tell you how they feel to your face.
Nice! The way I describe it....in SoCal, they put on a nice face and don't give a **it, but in NY, you get into a fight, you're bloodied, you yell and in twenty minutes you're showing photos of your kids and making arrangements to have them over for dinner. You go into a cab and the guy is rude....you leave and you know the guy's name and he hooks you up next time. NY is rough but the people of NY are as good as it gets.

I broke down on the side of the 55 fwy in Cali and waited one hour for a tow truck to help. I broke down in Hempstead and had help in two minutes. People are just.......better in NY. LI is a special place you learn when you leave.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:48 PM
  #75
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Not Staple's twitter but Andy Strickland tweeted this earlier:

Told#Islanders have begun preliminary talks with D-man Lubo Visnovsky.

Get it done Garth!

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.