HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky Signs 2-year Extension ($4.75M/year + NMC)

Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
duster19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Not Staple's twitter but Andy Strickland tweeted this earlier:

Told#Islanders have begun preliminary talks with D-man Lubo Visnovsky.

Get it done Garth!
Happy to see Lubo back as long as that means Streit is out the door.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
steveat

If Viz signs..which I doubt, then Streit is gone...unless Viz only signs for 1 more year. I think Viz would be a better mentor than Streit for guys like Hickey to improve offensive abilities.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:34 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
If Viz signs..which I doubt, then Streit is gone...unless Viz only signs for 1 more year. I think Viz would be a better mentor than Streit for guys like Hickey to improve offensive abilities.
If Visnovsky does indeed re-sign with us (I still have my doubts) and Streit is traded, I think Matt Donovan is the one who will be given first shot at the vacated spot.

Hickey is still a role player, the Isles have been grooming Donovan to play a very similar role to what Visnovsky and Streit offer now.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:09 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
If Visnovsky does indeed re-sign with us (I still have my doubts) and Streit is traded, I think Matt Donovan is the one who will be given first shot at the vacated spot.

Hickey is still a role player, the Isles have been grooming Donovan to play a very similar role to what Visnovsky and Streit offer now.
Dont rule out both Streit and Visnovsky staying, and my money is on de Haan over Donovan. Yes, I know de Haan has been out with injury, but I also think that management is very high on him, and they are going to give him every shot... remember we made a lot of moves to jump up and draft him.

I saw rumors that both Nabby and Vis were going to be traded (Eklund is a fool) and while I am sure snow is seeing what he can get for them, I think it is also clear he is burning the candle from both ends.

Right now, unless we are getting a high-end goalie back in a deal, Nabokov is our best option.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Dont rule out both Streit and Visnovsky staying, and my money is on de Haan over Donovan. Yes, I know de Haan has been out with injury, but I also think that management is very high on him, and they are going to give him every shot... remember we made a lot of moves to jump up and draft him.
I would agree with you on the de Haan point, but at the moment I think we have to worry more about just how much those shoulders of his are going to let him do - whatsoever.

It'd be quite a lot to ask of the young man to not only come back from his umpteenth shoulder-related issue, but to do so after missing an entire season and actually move up a league. There's little chance that he's gonna be able to be ahead of several comparables (namely Donovan and Hickey) at this point under these circumstances.

The Islanders must now plan as though he's a lost cause and an uncertainty. If he comes back and finds his way to the NHL, then that'll be the cherry on top, but the GM has to plan without him being an NHL option next year.

This said, every team should technically plan with 9-10 NHL-capable Dmen. No reason Snow shouldn't retain each of Finley, Hickey and Carkner for depth purposes, barring the option to move them in good deals.

I'd be curious to find out how far along Donovan is with respect to aptly handling NHL minutes and perhaps sliding into a PP role. For a couple of years now, I've been comparing his style and possibilities to those of Christian Erhoff, as Donovan's game reminded me a lot of Erhoff when he was 21 and winning a DEL title, then playing the majority of the next two seasons in the AHL. It took a little while for Ehrhoff to arrive and Donovan is actually statistically ahead of where Christian was at that stage.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I would agree with you on the de Haan point, but at the moment I think we have to worry more about just how much those shoulders of his are going to let him do - whatsoever.

It'd be quite a lot to ask of the young man to not only come back from his umpteenth shoulder-related issue, but to do so after missing an entire season and actually move up a league. There's little chance that he's gonna be able to be ahead of several comparables (namely Donovan and Hickey) at this point under these circumstances.

The Islanders must now plan as though he's a lost cause and an uncertainty. If he comes back and finds his way to the NHL, then that'll be the cherry on top, but the GM has to plan without him being an NHL option next year.

This said, every team should technically plan with 9-10 NHL-capable Dmen. No reason Snow shouldn't retain each of Finley, Hickey and Carkner for depth purposes, barring the option to move them in good deals.

I'd be curious to find out how far along Donovan is with respect to aptly handling NHL minutes and perhaps sliding into a PP role. For a couple of years now, I've been comparing his style and possibilities to those of Christian Erhoff, as Donovan's game reminded me a lot of Erhoff when he was 21 and winning a DEL title, then playing the majority of the next two seasons in the AHL. It took a little while for Ehrhoff to arrive and Donovan is actually statistically ahead of where Christian was at that stage.
When deciding on Streit and Visnovsky, if the Isles get a deal too good to pass up on either player (a young dman especially, ready to make the next step to the NHL or a 1st round pick in a very deep draft), the Isles need to pull the trigger. Considering what was given up for a Doug Murray, the Isles should be able to get Dougie Hamilton for Streit. What an awful trade for the Pens. The trade looks even worse considering they gave up an NHL quality dman in Brian Strait to waivers.

Even quality GMs make mistakes. They're just not as magnified as when teams with lesser payrolls do.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
When deciding on Streit and Visnovsky, if the Isles get a deal too good to pass up on either player (a young dman especially, ready to make the next step to the NHL or a 1st round pick in a very deep draft)
Agree with this - although my take on this draft is that it is not so much deep, but top heavy.

I'd still take i.e. Vancouver's 1st for Streit. There should be a couple of nice players like JT Compher hanging around at that point.

Quote:
Considering what was given up for a Doug Murray, the Isles should be able to get Dougie Hamilton for Streit.
Wowwww! Ok, I don't see that kind of thing happening. I believe when the smoke on this deadline has cleared, no-one will have given up as much as PIT has for Morrow and Murray, WHICH HOWEVER I feel is A OK for the Pens, because they are THAT close. Just look at what they've been doing although Malkin and Letang (two of their three best players) have been out. I don't think any team in the league - Chicago and Anaheim included - are as close to the cup right now as the Penguins are.

Quote:
What an awful trade for the Pens. The trade looks even worse considering they gave up an NHL quality dman in Brian Strait to waivers.
I initially thought so too, but the second 2nd rounder is conditional and it will only be sacrificed if the Penguins resign Murray this summer, so in essence, it's looking like their 2nd (which will likely be in the late 50s) for a very big, physical Dman, which they just didn't outside of Orpik.

Also, in losing Strait and Lovejoy earlier this year, and now having passed along Morrow, who is a good prospect, I thought the Pens were taking a bit of a hit on the blueline. Then I looked at their current blueline prospects and remembered that they've still got no less than Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin and my personal fave, Olli Maatta. I think each of these boys will, at some point and in some capacity, be NHLers, with particularly Pouliot and Maatta looking like possible impact players. Thus, they're doing just fine on the blueline in the prospect category.

We shan't forget that a team like PIT can easily lure UFAs, also those of a prospect nature - and admittedly, every summer.

As such, I think it's awesome to see a team's GM go out and get two pieces that fill the most glaring holes the team has. Real good moves in my mind's eye. I think a number of pundits would agree that, in light of how good the system is stacked at the moment, these moves were as good as they come for a team that's making a majorly serious run at the cup.

No-one will be asking who Joe Morrow, the 2nd and the 3rd are if Pittsburgh is celebrating another championship in late June.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
bigd

Quote:
Agree with this - although my take on this draft is that it is not so much deep, but top heavy.

I'd still take i.e. Vancouver's 1st for Streit. There should be a couple of nice players like JT Compher hanging around at that point.

Wowwww! Ok, I don't see that kind of thing happening. I believe when the smoke on this deadline has cleared, no-one will have given up as much as PIT has for Morrow and Murray, WHICH HOWEVER I feel is A OK for the Pens, because they are THAT close. Just look at what they've been doing although Malkin and Letang (two of their three best players) have been out. I don't think any team in the league - Chicago and Anaheim included - are as close to the cup right now as the Penguins are.

I initially thought so too, but the second 2nd rounder is conditional and it will only be sacrificed if the Penguins resign Murray this summer, so in essence, it's looking like their 2nd (which will likely be in the late 50s) for a very big, physical Dman, which they just didn't outside of Orpik.

Also, in losing Strait and Lovejoy earlier this year, and now having passed along Morrow, who is a good prospect, I thought the Pens were taking a bit of a hit on the blueline. Then I looked at their current blueline prospects and remembered that they've still got no less than Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin and my personal fave, Olli Maatta. I think each of these boys will, at some point and in some capacity, be NHLers, with particularly Pouliot and Maatta looking like possible impact players. Thus, they're doing just fine on the blueline in the prospect category.

We shan't forget that a team like PIT can easily lure UFAs, also those of a prospect nature - and admittedly, every summer.

As such, I think it's awesome to see a team's GM go out and get two pieces that fill the most glaring holes the team has. Real good moves in my mind's eye. I think a number of pundits would agree that, in light of how good the system is stacked at the moment, these moves were as good as they come for a team that's making a majorly serious run at the cup.

No-one will be asking who Joe Morrow, the 2nd and the 3rd are if Pittsburgh is celebrating another championship in late June.
They do look like the favorite to win it all this season but if they don't, heads will role in Pittsburgh.
When you can afford to give away guys like Morrow and Strait then you know you've made it to the top of the heap. Trying to stay there becomes extremely stressfull for a GM but he has an ownership that is all in.
I don't see Snow ever being in that position but i'm hopefull.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
duster19

lots of love going on is these boards for Strait. kind of a small sample size, but I liked what I saw. I certainly dont think losing Strait decimated that Penguins blue line either. Either does Shero considering he put him on waivers...

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
lots of love going on is these boards for Strait. kind of a small sample size, but I liked what I saw. I certainly dont think losing Strait decimated that Penguins blue line either. Either does Shero considering he put him on waivers...
Neither will losing Joe Morrow but that just shows you how deep their Defensive prospect pool is when they can waive a guy like Strait for nothing and give away a top prospect like Joe Morrow for a rental player. If we don't bring in a top shutdown D-man I predict Strait will be on the top pairing with Harmonic next year. I like Strait but he's not a top pairing D-man and neither is Amac. When we can move these guys into the proper roles we will start to see more positive results.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:52 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
From what I have read about, this draft is being compared to the 2003 draft. While you have 3-4 superstar type players at the top, the rest of the draft is very strong and deep.

Quote:
Me too. In a heart beat.

Quote:
Wowwww! Ok, I don't see that kind of thing happening. I believe when the smoke on this deadline has cleared, no-one will have given up as much as PIT has for Morrow and Murray, WHICH HOWEVER I feel is A OK for the Pens, because they are THAT close. Just look at what they've been doing although Malkin and Letang (two of their three best players) have been out. I don't think any team in the league - Chicago and Anaheim included - are as close to the cup right now as the Penguins are. I initially thought so too, but the second 2nd rounder is conditional and it will only be sacrificed if the Penguins resign Murray this summer, so in essence, it's looking like their 2nd (which will likely be in the late 50s) for a very big, physical Dman, which they just didn't outside of Orpik.
That's obviously an exaggeration to prove a point. Murray has been performing at a 6-7 NHL dman level. Some would even argue he hasn't even been good enough to be an NHL dman this year. To give up a 2nd rounder for a player like this is ludicrous. To give up two 2nd rounders is just dumb.

Quote:

Just because you have assets does not mean you should waste them. Strait was NHL ready and they chose Lovejoy over him, a move that backfired. They lost a quality NHL dman for nothing, an example of poor asset management. Then they trade Lovejoy for nothing. Then they deal a 2nd rounder for a below average dman in Doug Murray.

The Joe Morrow trade is not nearly as bad, as they get a player perfectly suited for a playoff run (albeit declining in skill and production).

The point I was making is that, if Murray gets you a 2nd rounder, this is an extreme seller's market. This could be a golden opportunity to bring in a good, young NHL dman or a 1st round pick for an aging and declining veteran in Streit.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
stranger34

Quote:
From what I have read about, this draft is being compared to the 2003 draft. While you have 3-4 superstar type players at the top, the rest of the draft is very strong and deep.

Me too. In a heart beat.

That's obviously an exaggeration to prove a point. Murray has been performing at a 6-7 NHL dman level. Some would even argue he hasn't even been good enough to be an NHL dman this year. To give up a 2nd rounder for a player like this is ludicrous. To give up two 2nd rounders is just dumb.

Just because you have assets does not mean you should waste them. Strait was NHL ready and they chose Lovejoy over him, a move that backfired. They lost a quality NHL dman for nothing, an example of poor asset management. Then they trade Lovejoy for nothing. Then they deal a 2nd rounder for a below average dman in Doug Murray.

The Joe Morrow trade is not nearly as bad, as they get a player perfectly suited for a playoff run (albeit declining in skill and production).

The point I was making is that, if Murray gets you a 2nd rounder, this is an extreme seller's market. This could be a golden opportunity to bring in a good, young NHL dman or a 1st round pick for an aging and declining veteran in Streit.
I think they could trade Streit and not give up on the playoffs. He's done more harm than good this season for the Isles.

Unfortunately I get the sinking feeling he will be resigned on a multi-year

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I hope you're right, but if you are, then it's a shame this kind of depth would be coming in a year where we don't have a 2nd rounder.

Quote:
Murray has been performing at a 6-7 NHL dman level. Some would even argue he hasn't even been good enough to be an NHL dman this year. To give up a 2nd rounder for a player like this is ludicrous. To give up two 2nd rounders is just dumb.
I'll view it is as one pick in the 50s unless they resign him, but I guess Murray just has a few things the team really feels it needs at this point. With a new lease on life for a short and concentrated set of duties, maybe he'll be able to provide just what they need. The team does have a pretty good top 4 once Letang is back, so adding Murray for that 3rd pairing is a calculated move.

They've now added Iginla and have basically pooped on their 2013 draft in order to go all in on the cup.

Pertty doggone awesome, if you ask me.

Quote:
Just because you have assets does not mean you should waste them. Strait was NHL ready and they chose Lovejoy over him, a move that backfired.
Well, I do like Strait, but I'd say the Pens actually chose Desprès over him moreso than anyone else. Lovejoy is ultimately out of town now too. That they had tough decisions to make with respect to which players have to go through waiver wires, well that bit a number of teams in the behind.

For Lovejoy's or Strait's money, they brought in Eaton.

Quote:
An opportunity I doubt our beloved Snow will jump on...

Aside from asset management not really being his forté, the team has once again given him just enough reason to claim that they're legitimately in the playoff hunt.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I think they could trade Streit and not give up on the playoffs. He's done more harm than good this season for the Isles.

Unfortunately I get the sinking feeling he will be resigned on a multi-year
He could be resigned, for sure. I don't think they do it if you truly is looking for 10 million over three seasons, but otherwise...

But I do agree with you. I think they can move him AND continue to shoot for the playoffs. Hickey would likely get more responsibility and Finley & Martinek would rotate in more often.

Of course, the price would have to be right.

If the Isles stay put and attempt to make the playoffs, then the best we can hope for is that they make it and Snow can then resign Nabby, Streit and Visnovsky in the offseason. Even if he could, this however would not necessarily constitute improvement moving forward. It would add considerably to identity.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Nabby. I'd love to see Visnovsky re-upped (somehow). I personally think Streit's time here should be running out.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorican View Post
Nabokov is an NHL goalie. You keep him if you can. 1 year or 2 year, no brainer.

Boyes comes down to numbers, and I don't mean salary. You have players NHL ready next year. These are basically 2nd/3rd line players. There is no true 1st line winger to go with JT/Moulson at this point.

If you re-sign Boyes, that's a roster spot for an NHL ready player. Let's face it, Nino WOULD produce next to JT.
As far as I've know Nabby let's in more bad goals than he makes great saves (alot more).

look at Toronto. yeah they have Kessel and Luphul and the Kadri kid but check out their net Reimer and Scrivens- I'd say both are better than Nabby yet both have less experience combined.

Boston- Khudobin also better than Nabby

I'd say the Panthers and Wild Prospects Markstrom and Hackett are also better.

or how about the Wing's Mrazek

Perhaps some of those teams have a better standing D (or defensive game in general) but to keep guy whose pushing 40 in a couple of years and is nowhere near Roy's or Broduer's category is stupid. Especially when you have 3 guys ready to take on the role in a tandem.

As far as Boyes goes I'm not going to touch that one ......... much
I'll say this much. PA was the main reason Tavares and Moulson kept going at their pace. And the reason the top line had successThey combined for 78 goals 217 points last season. are the two remaining doing half as good now?

Brad Boyes had 8 goals and 24 points in Buffalo last season (his time in st. Louis is a thing of past not worth looking at) you can't possibly tell me he's doing better. Let's face it this team is screwed. for two reasons

They don't play the right players
They don't keep the right players

and I mean RIGHT. NOT BEST. if you don't understand that one I suggest you watch Miracle

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:46 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
As far as I've know Nabby let's in more bad goals than he makes great saves (alot more).

Perhaps some of those teams have a better standing D (or defensive game in general) but to keep guy whose pushing 40 in a couple of years and is nowhere near Roy's or Broduer's category is stupid. Especially when you have 3 guys ready to take on the role in a tandem.
pray, do explain who you mean! is the idea poulin with ricky backing up? or are we counting on nilsson to be healthy and nhl ready next season? i didnt really see much in koskinen back when he played on the island.

our goalie depth is nothing to write home about. resigning the only constant goalie we have seems like a clever- low risk -move.

If i understand correctly you assume poulin and nilsson will be good goalies because...they are prospects! excellent. we might even get mcdavid.

luki here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
pray, do explain who you mean! is the idea poulin with ricky backing up? or are we counting on nilsson to be healthy and nhl ready next season? i didnt really see much in koskinen back when he played on the island.

our goalie depth is nothing to write home about. resigning the only constant goalie we have seems like a clever- low risk -move.

If i understand correctly you assume poulin and nilsson will be good goalies because...they are prospects! excellent. we might even get mcdavid.
Poulin is a good goalie. Nilsson has shown he can play well at the NHL. He stole one game Jersey and would have stolen another if the take didn't a vacation in the 3rd period.

I don't care if players have limited experience. You don't play dinosaurs when your young guys have shown more in less time

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
I hope you're right, but if you are, then it's a shame this kind of depth would be coming in a year where we don't have a 2nd rounder.
Yep, it sucks that we don't have a 2nd rounder this year. But at least we got Visnovsky for our 2nd rounder, not a Douglas Murray. Even if Visnovsky doesn't resign, that was good value for us. I don't believe we'd be in the playoff hunt without him.
Quote:
I'll view it is as one pick in the 50s unless they resign him, but I guess Murray just has a few things the team really feels it needs at this point. With a new lease on life for a short and concentrated set of duties, maybe he'll be able to provide just what they need. The team does have a pretty good top 4 once Letang is back, so adding Murray for that 3rd pairing is a calculated move.
I'm sure that's what their thinking is. Yes, he's big. Yes, he's tough. However, teams get far too carried away with size when evaluating a player. If a guy stinks, it shouldn't matter if he is 8 feet tall. This seems to be a player they targeted and willing to overpay for. Not sure why it was this player, but they're hoping they get what they expect from him. But even if they do get average-level play from him, it'd still be overpayment for his type of dman. This is an example of overpayment of an ingredient a team felt they needed (size, toughness, etc). For me these attributes are not worth a 2nd (potentially 2 2nd rounders).

Quote:
They've now added Iginla and have basically pooped on their 2013 draft in order to go all in on the cup.

Pertty doggone awesome, if you ask me.
Iginla and Morrow additions were great. No question.

Quote:
Well, I do like Strait, but I'd say the Pens actually chose Desprès over him moreso than anyone else. Lovejoy is ultimately out of town now too. That they had tough decisions to make with respect to which players have to go through waiver wires, well that bit a number of teams in the behind.

For Lovejoy's or Strait's money, they brought in Eaton.
A team's job is to ice the best 12 forwards and the best 6 dmen they have on their team. Strait was ahead of Lovejoy, and if ignoring potential, ahead of Despres as well. They let Strait go, a solid defensive dman. Then they decide later that Lovejoy isn't very good, and let him go for a late draft pick. Then they sign the awful Eaton? Seems very odd to me.

Quote:
An opportunity I doubt our beloved Snow will jump on...

Aside from asset management not really being his forté, the team has once again given him just enough reason to claim that they're legitimately in the playoff hunt.
It's a tough position to be in:

-We're currently tied for 8th place with the Rangers having 1 game in hand - how can you justify trading Streit/Vis/Nabokov right now?

Also, I feel that aside from the PAP situation, Snow has done a pretty good job with asset management:
1) Trading down a bunch of times in 2008
2) Ryan Smyth trade
3) Multiple successful waiver pickups: Moulson, Grabner, Nabokov, Hickey

Everything Garth has done has been very safe and economical thus far (Streit signing, multiple waiver grabs, building through the draft).

I, personally think that if Snow gets a ridiculous offer for Streit, regardless of our place in the standings, he needs to accept. However, I would also understand if he keeps the team together if they are in the mix.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
A team's job is to ice the best 12 forwards and the best 6 dmen they have on their team.
Send that memo to Snow and Wang, ASAP.

Quote:
Also, I feel that aside from the PAP situation, Snow has done a pretty good job with asset management:
1) Trading down a bunch of times in 2008
2) Ryan Smyth trade
3) Multiple successful waiver pickups: Moulson, Grabner, Nabokov, Hickey

Everything Garth has done has been very safe and economical thus far (Streit signing, multiple waiver grabs, building through the draft).
I guess one can see things like that. When I think of asset management, I'm thinking "How can a GM turn eveything he does not want to or cannot keep into another asset? How can he maximize the value of players and prevent them from walking away for nothing?"

I didn't mind what he did with the likes of Rolston (which also appears to have led to Alexandrov being picked up) and before that Niemi. Decisions were made and then bodies were moved for other assets.

What I've never liked or understood is how, in non-playoff years, he's not dealt UFAs at the deadline that he knows he's not keeping. They have then walked. No replacement. No abject asset brought back in return. Folks have often said so-or-so was useless, unimportant, didn't have any value, etc. I personally don't buy it. On several occasions, he's lost guys via waivers, whether it was calculated or just a mistake or a lack of properly assessing the danger of a guy being taken. Granted, he's certainly made more use of the waiver wire than just about any other GM.

For a team that does not or cannot cover holes or improve itself on the UFA market, Snow has needed to make far better use of the actual UFAs and some of the prospects he's had.

Quote:
I, personally think that if Snow gets a ridiculous offer for Streit, regardless of our place in the standings, he needs to accept. However, I would also understand if he keeps the team together if they are in the mix.
I don't really see him doing anything at this point. Heck, I think it's more likely that he picks up something than that he becomes a seller. No matter what happens in PIT tomorrow, I think he's already made up his mind about this team's role in the playoff race.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Poulin is a good goalie. Nilsson has shown he can play well at the NHL. He stole one game Jersey and would have stolen another if the take didn't a vacation in the 3rd period.

I don't care if players have limited experience. You don't play dinosaurs when your young guys have shown more in less time
Again, where is this coming from? how many poulin games have you watched this year? how many overall? he hasnt shown to be able to deal with the nhl since his knee injury IMO. You play the best goalie, not the hopeful one (see dp).

luki here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Send that memo to Snow and Wang, ASAP.

What I've never liked or understood is how, in non-playoff years, he's not dealt UFAs at the deadline that he knows he's not keeping. They have then walked. No replacement. No abject asset brought back in return. Folks have often said so-or-so was useless, unimportant, didn't have any value, etc. I personally don't buy it. On several occasions, he's lost guys via waivers, whether it was calculated or just a mistake or a lack of properly assessing the danger of a guy being taken. Granted, he's certainly made more use of the waiver wire than just about any other GM.

For a team that does not or cannot cover holes or improve itself on the UFA market, Snow has needed to make far better use of the actual UFAs and some of the prospects he's had.

I can't figure out if Snow is stubborn in trade talks, when he won't bend and take the best offer at the TDL or if he is building his rep among other gms, showing that he won't blink when given offers he thinks are too low ?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:37 PM
kasper11

Wow, according to Staple, talks with Vis are going well and a deal could be done soon

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...91378534608896
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...91262474014720

Wonder if Snow told him to sign before the deadline if you want to stay.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Contract for Viz could be done soon as per Staple.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:39 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Wow, according to Staple, talks with Vis are going well and a deal could be done soon

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...91378534608896
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...91262474014720

Wonder if Snow told him to sign before the deadline if you want to stay.
Beat me to it by 1 min!

Seriously though, how positive a story would this be for the Isles when he didn't even want to come back to the states and play for the Isles in the first place.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
bigbren92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
Contract for Viz could be done soon as per Staple.
This is huge. Makes a statement that this is a great place to play hockey

bigbren92 is offline   Reply With Quote