HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal needs good special teams if there going to make the playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 08:12 AM
oli500

vCash: 500
Montreal needs good special teams if there going to make the playoffs

If montreal wants a good year this year, there going to need good specials teams. 2 years ago when we made the playoffs and guy carboneau was the assistant coach we had one of the best penalty kill in the league, and we had a very good power play. Does are important parts of the game especially for a team like montreal. Last year guy charon did a horrible job with those two aspects of the game because hes the one that took care of it. I mean when we have traverse on the pk for a minute no wonder we had one the worse in the league. Now that we have players like sondstrom, souray and komi that can work the pk we should be able to improve. Its same for are power play. If charon cant turn does aspects of the game urond his job is going to be on the line.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:19 AM
Darz

Rarely any team can do well without good special teams (or at least be very good in one area). I think alot of our problems last year PK wise, was we got off to a terrible start and the problem snowballed. I think you will see an improvemnet in our PK from last year.
As for the PP, I'm not as optimistic. Not that I don't think we can improve, I just don't think we have the PP quarterbacks we need to ice a really good PP. Markov is pretty good, but you need more than 1. Brisebois could be an effective PP qback, if he was paired with a d partner that has a cannon of shot. Maybe if Hainsey can really improve this year, our PP will get significantly better.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:29 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
agreed, our special team woes were a big reason why we didn't fare as well last year.

We had virtually the same PK unit last year from the previous year where we made the playoffs. This proves that poor coaching was a big reason why our PK was poor last year

Old
09-24-2003, 08:32 AM
habfan4

I think the PK will improve marginally over last year assuming neither of Bulis or Sundstrom gets hurt.

The PP depends on the personnel - I'd like to see the Canadiens take a page out of the Senators playbook and get a big body in front of the net. The Sens use Chara in the role effectively, so why not put Komisarek out their to cause headaches for the opposing defenders. It also appears that Koivu (let's hope for a speedy return) and Markov have a great deal of chemistry - Hopefully CJ makes sure they see time on the same PP unit.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:37 AM
NWT Habs Fan

The PP worries me also. My three keys to success this season on the PP are:

1. Ability to transition and have puck control into the offensive zone (this will involve aggressive puck pursuit and retrieval if we dump and chase, or good speed and puck control if we gain the zone with puck possession).

2. Ability to sustain pressure down low (this will involve good puck movement and good skating off the puck, as well as players willing to pay the price in the corners to maintain control and in front of the net to set up the screens).

3. Ability to use the point as a legitimate threat (this requires a good puck handling/good shooting combo out there to pull the defensive box out to the blue line, freeing up room for the forwards - without it teams just collapse the box and beat up our smaller forwards). By the way, I am not convinced that Ribs is the answer on the point during the PP, he is too slow to retrieve the puck if a defender gets past him.

I guess I will wait and see, but last year was dismal and this pre-season has not been much better, although the top PP lineup has not yet all played together in one game (the true test will be during the last few pre-season games when the lineup is close to being final).

Where I worry is that all the personnel are essentially the same. Same special teams coach, same players. Will they all suddenly over-achieve after all collectively under-achieving last year?

Old
09-24-2003, 08:39 AM
GilleZ

I think too that our PK is gonna be alot better. But our PP is gonna be brutal. I dont think that our problem is at Defance in the power play. Markov did a pretty good job, so did Brisebois. They can enter the puck in the zone and intercept puck the the other team try to clear. Its that we 1 only one player to burry the puck in the net and its Zednick. He his the only guy who will go in front of the net and hit the puck until its in. Its pretty to make a pass, but I'd like to know the % of goals that are score in front of the net in the league. So until Audette, Hossa, Ward, Perreault, Koivu, Bulis, ... continue to make beautiful pass, we will not score.

What do you think??

Go Habs Go!!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 08:40 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
I think the PK will improve marginally over last year assuming neither of Bulis or Sundstrom gets hurt.

The PP depends on the personnel - I'd like to see the Canadiens take a page out of the Senators playbook and get a big body in front of the net. The Sens use Chara in the role effectively, so why not put Komisarek out their to cause headaches for the opposing defenders. It also appears that Koivu (let's hope for a speedy return) and Markov have a great deal of chemistry - Hopefully CJ makes sure they see time on the same PP unit.
It's not a bad idea to put Komi in front of the net, or maybe Sourray

Old
09-24-2003, 08:43 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleZ
I think too that our PK is gonna be alot better. But our PP is gonna be brutal. I dont think that our problem is at Defance in the power play. Markov did a pretty good job, so did Brisebois. They can enter the puck in the zone and intercept puck the the other team try to clear. Its that we 1 only one player to burry the puck in the net and its Zednick. He his the only guy who will go in front of the net and hit the puck until its in. Its pretty to make a pass, but I'd like to know the % of goals that are score in front of the net in the league. So until Audette, Hossa, Ward, Perreault, Koivu, Bulis, ... continue to make beautiful pass, we will not score.

What do you think??

Go Habs Go!!!!
Agree 100%
but maybe Ryder can score that type of goal, I think CJ should try him on pp

Old
09-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Capitano

Coaches can implement a pp/pk system, this is true, but only the players can execute it. I highly doubt that Charron wanted to implement a system that worked like it did last year. I think the problem is that we don't have the desire to win. This has to change. Right now, I only see a handful of players that want to win. Saku, Markov, Quintal, Zednik, Rivet, and maybe Bulis want to win, everybody else just goes for a skate. We have to get rid of the garbage, it's not going to be easy but that is the only way to be competitive night in and night out.

Man, I'm in a pretty down-trodden mood today...

Cap

Closed Thread