HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

From the main board: Frans' backhander

View Poll Results: What is the backhander named?
Danish Backhander of Justice 14 60.87%
Danish Backhander of Judgement 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
DanNYI2191

vCash: 500
Nielsen's Go-To Move

Obviously, Nielsen's backhand of justice was his main move up until last year in my opinion. That's when he started to transition to the quick snap between the five hole. So far this season, he's exclusively gone backhand.

My question is: in your opinion, when he decides that goalies are getting used to to the five hole, will he go back to the backhand or do something new?

I think exclusively playing the east this year will shorten the life span of his current move. Goalies will see it a lot more often in this shortened season.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNYI2191 View Post
Obviously, Nielsen's backhand of justice was his main move up until last year in my opinion. That's when he started to transition to the quick snap between the five hole. So far this season, he's exclusively gone backhand.

My question is: in your opinion, when he decides that goalies are getting used to to the five hole, will he go back to the backhand or do something new?

I think exclusively playing the east this year will shorten the life span of his current move. Goalies will see it a lot more often in this shortened season.
I think you just made a typo because you contradicted yourself. If my memory serves correctly, he's exclusively gone forehand this year. Your next paragraph cleared this up though, I think.

In my opinion, I think Butchie was right (I can't believe I just typed that) when he was talking about Grabner's woes on the breakaway. Grabner makes his mind up too early. And, combined with the fact that his hands are not as fast as his feet, he ends up flubbing a lot of breakaways.

The beauty of Franz on the penalty shot is he reacts to what the goalie gives him. I remember Biron staring at him with a gaping 5 hole. I'm pretty sure he didn't even close it in time for it to come through his legs a second time.

So the answer to your question, is I don't think Franz will move to the backhand once he feels it is time because he's gone forehand too often. He'll do it when he sees a goalie is playing the snapshot. Having two very different moves that he can choose based on the goalie's positioning, not beforehand, is what makes him so deadly.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:04 PM
DanNYI2191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I think you just made a typo because you contradicted yourself. If my memory serves correctly, he's exclusively gone forehand this year. Your next paragraph cleared this up though, I think.

In my opinion, I think Butchie was right (I can't believe I just typed that) when he was talking about Grabner's woes on the breakaway. Grabner makes his mind up too early. And, combined with the fact that his hands are not as fast as his feet, he ends up flubbing a lot of breakaways.

The beauty of Franz on the penalty shot is he reacts to what the goalie gives him. I remember Biron staring at him with a gaping 5 hole. I'm pretty sure he didn't even close it in time for it to come through his legs a second time.

So the answer to your question, is I don't think Franz will move to the backhand once he feels it is time because he's gone forehand too often. He'll do it when he sees a goalie is playing the snapshot. Having two very different moves that he can choose based on the goalie's positioning, not beforehand, is what makes him so deadly.
Yeah that was a typo good catch.

And I agree. I think part of the quick 5 hole shot working so well is due in part to goalies still half-expect the backhand. He freezes them every time.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Degeneration Rex

Nielsen"s' backhander is really good, and a hard shot for a goalie because they never know when he might release it.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
leaponover

And still Islander fans feel the need to include him in every friggin' trade proposal...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:18 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNYI2191 View Post
Yeah that was a typo good catch.

And I agree. I think part of the quick 5 hole shot working so well is due in part to goalies still half-expect the backhand. He freezes them every time.
The goalies expect the backhand move when they know him, but he also sets it up verses them and goalies who won't know him.

It's all in the way he approaches the net, he's very deliberate with his movements. If the goalie is playing the shot, he's goes backhand. If they play the backhand, he shoots it. He's not deciding before he goes in. And his backhand is ridiculously good, even if you know it's coming he know exactly where to shoot it from to get the top corner every time. Most goalies who will follow the backhand go down into the butterfly when they push and are vulnerable at the top corner.

He's just sick at the shootout, the battle is won before ever shoots in a most of his recent cases.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:24 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
And still Islander fans feel the need to include him in every friggin' trade proposal...
It's mind-boggling. Perfect 3rd liner with great character and super power: shootout winner. Just so all of our prospects can have a spot waiting for them in our lineup. At some point we will need to open our eyes and realise that no upgrade is needed on the 3c position. As we have
No decent wing prospects i dont see the problem.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Unless the goalie is named Marty Biron, I don't even think Nielsen knows which move he's going to do until he's at the hashes. He's so dominant at both that I don't think he'll ever be "caught on" so to speak.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:28 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Glad someone said it other then me. Frans needs to retire here. He's extremely valuable in so many ways/situations. Best 3rd line center in the league and very capable of 2nd line responsibilities when needed. If he ever gets traded or is allowed to walk I may stop being so devoted to this team. He's extremely versatile and there is no upgrade over him escp because he could be making more. Trading him would be unbelievably stupid. Plentyyyyy of other players to package. You don't move one of the 3 guys who is actually meant for the spot he is in... Tavares, Nielsen, Martin. None should ever be moved.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:22 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
It's mind-boggling. Perfect 3rd liner with great character and super power: shootout winner. Just so all of our prospects can have a spot waiting for them in our lineup. At some point we will need to open our eyes and realise that no upgrade is needed on the 3c position. As we have
Perfect?

1. Horrid on draws.
2. Struggles against bigger forwards.
3. Only an offensive threat on the rush.

He hasn't been great this year at all.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:53 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Perfect?

1. Horrid on draws.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Nielsen is consistently horrible on draws. For that reason I would look to transition him to the wing the arrival of cizikas and (several others soon enough) could help facilitate such a move.

Nielsen is still a very useful hockey player and if we get a decent coach that gives him the proper match-up assignments he will look even better.

I still view Nielsen as a keeper but his role is going to have to change a little bit.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I still view Nielsen as a keeper but his role is going to have to change a little bit.
Exactly. He's PJ Axelsson with a touch more skill, but his days as a center are numbered.

That's why I don't want to trade either Nelson or Strome. My guess is that, eventually, Nielsen will play with Nelson. A line of Nielsen/Nelson/Okposo would actually be a neat complement of skills.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
19NYSports91

He has a great release and has a pretty accurate shot, I would like to see him shoot more.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
I think its more because we have so many centers coming cizikas or nelson that he may be expendable. He may have some good trade value, like a top 4 d-man we crave.

Having said that i love him with grabner on the pk. I also think we need that veteran presence centering that line. I think he may become a trade piece down the line if some of these prospects pan out, but unfortunately i think we need to wait.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
I think its more because we have so many centers coming cizikas or nelson that he may be expendable. He may have some good trade value, like a top 4 d-man we crave.

Having said that i love him with grabner on the pk. I also think we need that veteran presence centering that line. I think he may become a trade piece down the line if some of these prospects pan out, but unfortunately i think we need to wait.
I agree 100%, can't afford to trade him this year or next year imo.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Completely agree. Nielsen is a perfect 3C for this team moving forward into the future and we are looking to trade him?! It's crazy, I don't think some fans realize that this is the kind of player you WANT to keep around. He serves an important role on this team, I consider him a piece that we don't move unless we are getting something we desperately need back.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
1. Horrid on draws.

Exactly. I like Nielsen, but he's got a skill set combo that makes him hard to slot into a role. He's a good playmaker and has skill, but not enough to put comfortably in a 2C role. He's good defensively and positionally, but he's outmatched physically (which is why he doesn't win draws) and isn't effective in the corners, which makes him an awkward fit for your 3C.

I don't know if he can transition to the wing at this point, but it might be a better spot for him.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
he is a good 3rd line center. Maybe even a great one. But if there's a trade out there that brings in a controllable youngish top pair Dman, 1st line wing or #2 center, and Nielsen has to be part of the reasonable deal, then you strongly consider it.

I like Frans a lot, and ideally the team can find those other pieces & keep Frans. But he shouldn't be untouchable.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
He has a great release and has a pretty accurate shot, I would like to see him shoot more.
Definitely agree.

03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
ds4130

If I remember correct, during an interview about his shootout moves I believe he stated that his intentions are to go 5-hole but if it isn't there than he'll go backhand.

ds4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

From the main board: Frans' backhander

There's a "best shootout player in the world" thread on the main board.

I've seen Frans' backhander called the:

Danish Backhander of Justice

and

Danish Backhander of Judgement

So...which is it?

Time to vote!

Last edited by Mr Wentworth: 03-16-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Backhander of Justice

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
RMimagery

There's a poll on NHL.com on who would you want to take on a shootout.

Crosby, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, P. Kane, Toews or Nielsen.

Nielsen has the best pct of active players and comes in second to last in the poll. Can't really fault the fans because they just don't see him enough or even know of him.

I believe he's scored on 10 of his last 12 and is over 62% overall with over 40 attempts. Insane. We don't lose too many shootouts with him and Tavares.

Last couple of years, he would go to the famous backhand almost exclusively but this season, he's having success with a super quick and surprising quick release through the 5 hole.

Wouldn't want to be a goalie with him bearing down on me. He looks to see what the goalie gives him and probably doesn't know what he's going to do until he sees his opportunity.

It's great to watch, Frans is such a good guy and glad to have him on our team. Under valued, great 2 way center (excellent PKer) who plays a very smart game.

Backhander of Justice!

btw, the only judgement I'm thinking about now is Gears of War Judgment! Monday @ midnight baby!

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Riddick

last season he started with the quick 5-hole, the years past he was exclusively the backhand top shelf.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

There's something about "Judgement" I like.
It seems much more detrimental (to the other side.)
Much more damning than "justice"....
It has pangs of finality to it....

You have been rendered a judgement at the hands of Frans' backhander.

Last edited by Mr Wentworth: 03-16-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote