HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price doesn't steal games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  #226
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Yeah um.. about that, maybe you should take a look at goalies around the league this season, your theory of 5-6M$ goalie should always be consistent and dominating. Rinne just got pulled back to back games. Luongo, Lundqvist, Miller, Fleury, Bryzgalov are from being consistent.

I agree that Price is NOT a top 5 goalie right now but that changes quite fast, can we really say that Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Lundqvist are top 5 goalie because most of them were last year or the year before. Can we say Anderson and Crawford are legitimate top 5 goalie in the upcoming years?

This just proves that goalie, even the BEST ones, can also be inconsistent and have bad streak. Just watch Rinne, 2 shutouts in 3 games, only one goal against in those 3 games... and then next game, lets in 4 goals on 12 shots, got pulled. Next game, first 2 shots, 2 goals, got pulled again. In Rinne last 10 starts, he was pulled 4 times and have 6 games that he has a SV% under .852. Not something you should expect from a 7 000 000$ goalie.
So if I understand correctly. Your argument is well look at that other 6.5-7 M $ goalei that is playing like crap ..it then follows that Price isn't that bad ..

That's a very weak argument. I hope I don't need to explain why.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  #227
pcamp
Registered User
 
pcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Look at game the 3:15 mark ...wth was that ..1-1 tie in the 3rd ..backbreaker. Then look at the 4:00 min mark and then look again at the 4:26 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHcSRe6yNM

Game 6. 4th and 5th boston bruins goal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dI4wnVXAPE
Okay so he did some mistakes in the NHL Playoffs when he was 21 .. Most goalies hit their prime around 27-30 . He went 3-1-3 against the stanley cup champions two years ago it is a little early to say he isnt good in playoffs

pcamp is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  #228
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Are you really comparing Fleury and Brodeur? Brodeur has the best pedigree to lead. He's a natural leader and big game player.

Even if Price were to start, the leach (sp?) would be very short.
Every goalie has a short leach in the playoffs, even Brodeur got pulled after 1 bad game

ScottFC is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  #229
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Price is ridiculously overrated on these boards - I wish other plays got the same level of support. However, Price is an incredible goalie and we're lucky to have him. Is he overpaid? Not really - goalie salary is pretty standard around the league. They are going to take up 10%-15% of your cap, unless you have a rookie breaking in, or a reclamation project (Emery, etc).

Price isn't a Top-5 goalie, but he's definitely in the upper half of the league, despite his bad start. He's easily a Top-15 goalie in the league, and quite possibly a Top-10 goalie. When he's at his best, he's probably a Top-3 goalie in the league, but his focus is very suspect, especially this year because he faces so few shots most games.
Agree but top 15 goalie makes him just average. We want him to be top 5 goalie in the league and I believe he has the potential.

I don't know why but he keeps letting in those bad goals. I wish he stops and concentrates more. We need him to win a cup.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:00 PM
  #230
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
Okay so he did some mistakes in the NHL Playoffs when he was 21 .. Most goalies hit their prime around 27-30 . He went 3-1-3 against the stanley cup champions two years ago it is a little early to say he isnt good in playoffs
I didn't say he's not good. I said he hasn't proven

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  #231
pcamp
Registered User
 
pcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
I didn't say he's not good. I said he hasn't proven
Then you are right ..

pcamp is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM
  #232
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
When the dust falls and if we are one of the great surprises of the year, you will find it very hard to convince people that it wasn't thanks to the dominant play of Carey Price (as well as the explosion of the youth and the great leadership of our vets). Still, Carey Price will be (I hope, don't wanna jinx) a huge reason why we will have done so well. I don't really need for him to have the best stats. I just need him to give us a chance to win every night and yeah a couple of wicked robberies every game, which does happen.
Convince people...

But what do YOU think? Not clueless analysts from outside Montreal, but YOU. Has Price been dominant THIS season ? Is he the main reason we're #1 in the east ?

Keep in mind that Budaj has been handling the 2nd games of the back to backs where the habs were more tired and his record is 4-1-1. His two defeats ? The ones where White went crazy decided to lose the games for us.

If the team can do this well with Budaj, I find it hard to believe that Price has been that dominant and that we're surprising because of him.

The team is 6th in shots against. We're preventing shots and chances. We're doing a real good job in front of Price. Yet... Price is not even top 10 in GAA. How can that be ? By being dominant ? Come on..... People kept putting down Rinne because he was playing for Nashville's great defense. This season the roles are reversed and look what happens ? Rinne still ahead in save % and GAA.

He has not been dominant this season. He simply hasn't. And the minute our defense stopped playing like a top 3 team at shot prevention (when Diaz went down), Price started allowing goals left and right.

E = CH² is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:06 PM
  #233
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,134
vCash: 500
The only thing Price hasn't proven is he hasn't had much playoff success in the NHL, which honestly isn't shocking given the way this team has been run. In the meantime he's

Won at every level below, he's been put in the frying pan at an age most goalies are still in junior, he's played 60+ game seasons and put up numbers that put him in the top 10, he's dealt with cold streaks, lineup changes, being run endlessly, expected to carry the team to squeaker victories with the slimmest of leads (JM's specialty.) He's had to compete for the starting job at the very highest level when Halak was here, and then he's been expected to carry the team pretty much by himself with guys like Auld and Budaj behind him. (No knock on Budaj, but he's not exactly competing for the #1 job here, credit to Price.) Through it all he's shown nothing but a positive attitude and a stellar work ethic.

What the hell more can you ask of a young goaltender. He's barely at the age most guys establish themselves in the NHL and we're all saying he's unproven... he's just entering his prime. With new management it looks like he may well get some decent chances to show what he can do in the playoffs. In the meantime, jees, in my book they guy's actually accomplished quite a lot. Seems to give the team a chance to win pretty much every night this year.

Bullsmith is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
  #234
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Convince people...

But what do YOU think? Not clueless analysts from outside Montreal, but YOU. Has Price been dominant THIS season ? Is he the main reason we're #1 in the east ?

Keep in mind that Budaj has been handling the 2nd games of the back to backs where the habs were more tired and his record is 4-1-1. His two defeats ? The ones where White went crazy decided to lose the games for us.

If the team can do this well with Budaj, I find it hard to believe that Price has been that dominant and that we're surprising because of him.

The team is 6th in shots against. We're preventing shots and chances. We're doing a real good job in front of Price. Yet... Price is not even top 10 in GAA. How can that be ? By being dominant ? Come on..... People kept putting down Rinne because he was playing for Nashville's great defense. This season the roles are reversed and look what happens ? Rinne still ahead in save % and GAA.

He has not been dominant this season. He simply hasn't. And the minute our defense stopped playing like a top 3 team at shot prevention (when Diaz went down), Price started allowing goals left and right.
Isn't it pretty clear that IIIII am convinced that he is dominant. My point was that even people who are likely detractors would concede that Price has been a shutdown goalie. You don't he's dominant. I respect your opinion. Agree to disagree.

habtastic is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:11 PM
  #235
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The only thing Price hasn't proven is he hasn't had much playoff success in the NHL, which honestly isn't shocking given the way this team has been run. In the meantime he's

Won at every level below, he's been put in the frying pan at an age most goalies are still in junior, he's played 60+ game seasons and put up numbers that put him in the top 10, he's dealt with cold streaks, lineup changes, being run endlessly, expected to carry the team to squeaker victories with the slimmest of leads (JM's specialty.) He's had to compete for the starting job at the very highest level, and through it all he's shown nothing but a positive attitude and a stellar work ethic.

What the hell more can you ask of a young goaltender. He's barely at the age most guys establish themselves in the NHL and we're all saying he's unproven... he's just entering his prime. With new management it looks like he may well get some decent chances to show what he can do in the playoffs. In the meantime, jees, in my book they guy's actually accomplished quite a lot. Seems to give the team a chance to win pretty much every night this year.
Given the #1 spot in the AHL for the Calder Cup run over Halak who had been top goalie in the AHL during that season.

Given the #1 spot after 20-30 games at the NHL level.

Given the #1 spot time and time again. Coaching staff kept going back to Price that year Halak was amazing to the point where Halak and Price both played half the season.

And how quickly we forget the staring at the D, everyone talking about Price's bad work ethic early on, his arms raised in the arm a la Roy, the cigarettes, partying, etc.

All of this is behind us, and he's matured and that's all good. But you are re-writing history here. The bolded part didn't happen, it's just blatant fabrication.

E = CH² is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
  #236
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
So if I understand correctly. Your argument is well look at that other 6.5-7 M $ goalei that is playing like crap ..it then follows that Price isn't that bad ..

That's a very weak argument. I hope I don't need to explain why.
That's not really an argument, just saying yours doesnt really apply this season because Price is not the only one being inconsistent despite having a big contract. I agree that Price could be a lot better but saying having big contract means being dominant and consistent every games isn't always true. Price had great stats in the first 10 games in the season and had a bad streak.

Im just sick of people arguing about Price no matter if he plays well or not and see argument that he should play like he did yesterday for almost EVERY games because of his contract. Even the best players or goalie in the world have bad streak. Im perfectly comfortable with Price being a our 1st goalie. We all know he can be better and Im sure he will eventually play better at some point, that is what all matters to me. I, unlike you, don't expect Price to dominant almost every games just because of his contract. I believe in this something called ''bad streak''.

Rosso Scuderia is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
  #237
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
I don't find Price overrated on these boards at all, he has more detractors among Montreal fans than other teams fans.

Souvenirs is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
  #238
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Isn't it pretty clear that IIIII am convinced that he is dominant. My point was that even people who are likely detractors would concede that Price has been a shutdown goalie.
I don't know what that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
You don't he's dominant. I respect your opinion. Agree to disagree.
Okay.

E = CH² is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
  #239
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
There's a few problems that I have with Price and no that doesn't make me a hater. I want the Habs to win regardless of who's in nets:

1- Price hasn't stepped up in the playoffs
2- It's 2013, it's 8 years since we drafted him.. enough of "he's young"
3- He's getting paid 6.5 M $ per year. We should expect consistency and domination.
4- He lets in a bad goal every week or it seems so.

Is he good? Yes definitely!
Is he a top 5 goalie in the league? No, I don't know why people keep saying that.

Would the leafs want him? Yes definitely but what's your point?
The biggest problem with your post is that you are basing Price's performance on years when we had absolutely horrible coaching that allowed Price to be hung out to dry on pretty much every game.

There is not a single goalie that could have won a Cup with the personnel and the coaching tactics that Price has had to endure prior to this season.

Price may not be the best goalie in the League and even not in the Top 5. That isnt needed to win Cups. It is a team effort. Solid team and solid goalie and most importantly, solid coaching. That's how you win.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:39 PM
  #240
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Price is ridiculously overrated on these boards - I wish other plays got the same level of support. However, Price is an incredible goalie and we're lucky to have him. Is he overpaid? Not really - goalie salary is pretty standard around the league. They are going to take up 10%-15% of your cap, unless you have a rookie breaking in, or a reclamation project (Emery, etc).

Price isn't a Top-5 goalie, but he's definitely in the upper half of the league, despite his bad start. He's easily a Top-15 goalie in the league, and quite possibly a Top-10 goalie. When he's at his best, he's probably a Top-3 goalie in the league, but his focus is very suspect, especially this year because he faces so few shots most games.
You just made the point I referenced just above. ^^^^^

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:45 PM
  #241
cphabs
It complels you!
 
cphabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WNY
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Price? There are 25+ teams that would trade their eye teeth for him. He's just getting warmed up as well. Thank you MT!

cphabs is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
  #242
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,924
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Leo, it should be noted that he has a LOT of myopic haters who don't understand that a goalie isn't infallible. Even Thomas, the most feared goalie after the lockout, let in bad goals. And Price has a lot of bitter Halak supporters/Price haters from before who still aren't ready to catch up with the real world.

Halak's playoff run was the stuff of miracles and legends - even though he got pulled three times and didn't start a few times because of his previous night's performance - but mostly because he schooled the high-fly Caps in two amazing performances and was very steady against the Pens. Those games against the Caps were probably the most exciting goal-tending I've seen since the Roy days, it was so much fun to see him then.

But Price is the better, more consistent, healthier, younger goalie and he's OUR goalie.
Oh, say it loud sister!

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  #243
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Given the #1 spot in the AHL for the Calder Cup run over Halak who had been top goalie in the AHL during that season.

Given the #1 spot after 20-30 games at the NHL level.

Given the #1 spot time and time again. Coaching staff kept going back to Price that year Halak was amazing to the point where Halak and Price both played half the season.

And how quickly we forget the staring at the D, everyone talking about Price's bad work ethic early on, his arms raised in the arm a la Roy, the cigarettes, partying, etc.

All of this is behind us, and he's matured and that's all good. But you are re-writing history here. The bolded part didn't happen, it's just blatant fabrication.
Agree ..also hes never won the top job. Huet beat him and they shipped Huet out. Then Halak beat him and they shipped him out.

I guess he beat Auld and Budaj for the starting job...

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
  #244
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,924
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Agree ..also hes never won the top job. Huet beat him and they shipped Huet out. Then Halak beat him and they shipped him out.

I guess he beat Auld and Budaj for the starting job...
haha I'll just go and put you on the 'doesn't know **** about hockey and can't argue his way out of a brown paper bag' category.

Price beat auld? Oh lol son!

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:44 PM
  #245
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Well, Lundqvist has been losing and Miller has been losing even more. IMO Price has always been better than Fleury. He would have still better results if the Habs had someone with a higher percentage of winning faceoffs. has done very well but he's playing behind the best defensive team in the East (and when his Dmen lose their composure even Budaj can outperform him).

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:52 PM
  #246
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,213
vCash: 200
Price's game is cerebral which makes it seem like hes overrated but he's easily one of the best goaltenders in the world and i have no problem stating that.

Habsawce is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
  #247
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Halak's playoff run was the stuff of miracles and legends - even though he got pulled three times and didn't start a few times because of his previous night's performance - but mostly because he schooled the high-fly Caps in two amazing performances and was very steady against the Pens.
Halak was the reason we lost game 2 in Washington, and a good part of the problem in game 3 at home. Those games are what might have made the series go so long afterwards.

In the Pittsburgh series, the only game he really starred for us was game 6 in Montreal. And he was weak in game 1.

Having said all that, there is no denying Jaro was great down the stretch (except a late game in Long Island that almost cost us the playoffs, and the final game versus Toronto) and lights out for games 5, 6 and 7 against the Caps.

BaseballCoach is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:08 PM
  #248
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Big game player? Where was Brodeur when the Kings put up a 6 spot in the deciding game of the Cup Finals last year? I agree Marty has done a lot to be given the benefit of the doubt, but he is NOT on the level of Luongo or Price anymore. To start him based on pedigree is ridiculous to me.

I understand your point about Fleury vs. Brodeur, but Fleury had just come off a Stanley Cup (1 year after losing in the Cup Final) so it's not as if he had never accomplished anything.

You say that Brodeur could win the job based on merit (ie he has a good winter 2013), then shoot down what Fleury was doing pre 2010 because he doesn't have the pedigree. It make's no sense.


and it is leash for those wondering
To me, its a no-brainer who our 2 goaltenders are going to be come 2014. I would be flat out shocked if anyone supplants either of them.
lol. If I were in the playoffs, there's no goalie I trust more than Brodeur, if he is healthy. he's what? 8-3 or something until he was injured this season? the guy outperforms carey, almost yearly.

I like price a lot, but brodeur is still the better goalie. It's the 'system' they said but our system reminds me of the devils and carey is not showing the benefits of the system.

I didn't even put brodeur in for contention because I assume he will be retiring.


Last edited by Nedved: 03-17-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Nedved is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:19 PM
  #249
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
I disagree 100%, because you stated that you don't think Price is a lock to be going to Sochi. Which is totally ridiculous, and it has nothing to do with our depth. Price would be a top 3 goaltender for any country in the world right now.

You could make a case for USA (Quick, Miller, Anderson/Schneider) or Finland (Rinne, Lehtonen, Kipper) but even then I think it is pretty clear Price is a top 3 goalie on either of those teams. The knocks you could use against Price go just as much for Lehtonen, Rinne and Anderson/Schneider as well.
Great! So let's agree that the "knocks" are just as bad for everybody else which makes nobody a lock....Yet, why would Price be the only one in the world to be a lock?

More and more, it looks like most of the arguments is "He's great and he's ours so shut up", way more than a legitimate debate about how good he really is or isn't.

And no...I don't see him as a lock. It CLEARLY doesn't mean that in due time he won't be....but if he struggles till the end...and has average playoffs while others succeed...why the heck would he most certainly be a lock? 'Cause he's Price and he's a Hab? Even if we agree that NOBODY are locks....shouldn't we then agree that really NOBODY is....INCLUDING Price?

By the way...not sure what your point is when I talk about depth. What having him being top 3 on any other team means anything? I'm talking about Canada...where this is the country where they always had the most candidates for the job. For the very first time, Brodeur might not be in play.

In 2010: Fleury, Brodeur, Luongo, Ward and Mason. Mason is obviousy out. Fleury is inconsistent as hell and is not the Fleury he was once. Brodeur won't be there. Yet, at the time, those 5 were an incredible bunch.

Now 2014: Price, Ward, Luongo, Fleury, and Corey Crawford and tell me REALLY how that's not the weakest crop of the Olympics for Canada? Look at this year's stats and tell me how many Canadian goalies shines on the Save% and GAA stats?


Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Whitesnake is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:26 PM
  #250
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
haha I'll just go and put you on the 'doesn't know **** about hockey and can't argue his way out of a brown paper bag' category.

Price beat auld? Oh lol son!
I thought it was obvious that it was sarcastic. My point was that anytime Price had competition for the #1 spot, he lost it so what did the habs do ..they went and got two players (Auld and Budaj) who would never challenge Price.

Traitor8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.