HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
#FreePhilKessel

Old
03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
northstarnicky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Probably would never happen but let's say Malkin wanted to be top dog in a big market. Would you offer:

Kessel+JVR+Bozak+1st and roll with..

Grabo-Malkin-Kulemin
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Mac/FA/Prospect-McClement-Biggs?
4th line TBD.
I get where you are going with this, but I don't see Grabo on the wing and I see JVR in a couple of years being a very good piece. Not to mention the 1st, who knows.

I see more value coming from Pitt if we try trading Kulemin to them givin Malkin and Kulemin's relationship and past. And even more if we try trading Kulemin to Washington. Nonis could look to those types of moves to get a decent return.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Obviously they have some responsibiility, but answer me this, a winger is weak defensively and it leads to opposition possession, and center is weak defensively and it opens a massive shooting lane. Which of the two direct results is more likely to result in a goal against?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
And when Chicago fans in the past were talking about trading away some salary and trading for a goalie, who was the common name that got floated around? Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, or Seabrook? No, it was the one-dimensional winger, because they view what he brings to the table as the most expendable.
Link to where Chicago fans were talking about trading Kane, as opposed to other posters? From what I can see, there's a thread on the main board calling for him to win the Hart Trophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarnicky View Post
What? I could NOT disagree more with that statement. Patrick Kane plays with with Toews. He has only scored 30 goals ONCE. Kessel plays with Toews and he scores how many?????? Come on.
Toews does not play with Kane. Kane plays on a separate line (as of now Bolland and Hayes), and still puts up more points than Toews. So, I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you confused Hossa, who plays with Toews, with Kane?

If you think Kane is a goal scorer, then that also says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Look at Patrick Kane...he SUCKS defensively and is just as soft as Kessel but he is on a team that is very good defensively.

If he was on the Leafs, change "Kessel" to "Patrick Kane" and we're all talking about trading him
Kane and Kessel are not comparible in any regard, other than being American. One player has the ability to single-handedly dominate the opposing team on route to winning a Stanley Cup. Just ask the Vancouver Canucks about what Pat Kane did to them. The other, with good pieces around from Brian Burke (as many Leaf fans point out) still cannot lead his team to the playoffs. In fact, he still cannot show up against Boston. I've yet to see any kind of scared performance coming from Kane.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
pspot

no love for my Kessel for Burns idea?

more i think about it the more i like

Kessel and Gunnar for Burns, Clowe, and pick or prospect (deal could even include Mac for Leafs getting more)

Leafs D would be set moving forward

Phanuef/Burns
Rielly/Franson
Gardiner/Holzer

Next year i'd start with

JVR/Grabo/Lupul
Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin - nice cycle line
Clowe/McClement/Komarov - shut down line

even better sign Clarkson then
Clowe/Colborne/Clarkson 3rd line

lots of scoring, size, aggression and competiveness in that top 9

Old
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM
calcal798

Quote:
But thats not Kessels job.... As an offensively gifted player he should be placed with a defensively responsible C. Not to mention wingers usually dont carry the defensive load, i dont see why it has to be different for Kessel.
Gotta agree with this, and its something that Bozak is not. Oddly enough we have one of the better two way centers in the league, but he is being put on a line with Macarthur and Orr, instead of being played ahead of a quality center like Bozak .

To all those people that say that Grabo and Kessel don't have chemistry, I think that you need to give them more then two shifts together to get chemistry.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
northstarnicky

[QUOTE=Epictetus;61952181]

The other, with good pieces around from Brian Burke (as many Leaf fans point out) still cannot lead his team to the playoffs.

It's easy to pick out one sentence in a two or three paragraph response and bang on it. But I will try the same here in banging on your statement above.

Where are the Leafs versions of Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, or Seabrook? We have them, and we win the Cup WITH Kessel in my opinion! The Hawks have Elite and Great pieces. With Kessel we have a GREAT piece, not Elite. But sadly, very few if any other Great pieces which we need to be a contender.

In other words, does Chicago win the cup with Kessel instead of Kane? I think probably. Do we do any better with Kane but without Kessel? Not so sure. That was my point.

Wish we had both though!

Last edited by northstarnicky: 03-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Ricky Bobby

Deal # 1:

To Toronto:

Ribeiro

To Washington:

Biggs, 2nd rounder

Deal # 2:

To Toronto:

2nd & a 4th rounder

To Chicago:

Bozak

Old
03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Fifty Mission Cap

The Leafs won't be a good team until they get reliable, solid goaltending. Say what you want about how the team is paying in front of them, but ask yourself this: Are you confident with Reimer and Scrivens at puck-drop, or are you unsure of how they'll play that particular night? Fix the goaltending, and this team makes the playoffs.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Tank Commander Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Deal # 1:

To Toronto:

Ribeiro

To Washington:

Biggs, 2nd rounder

Deal # 2:

To Toronto:

2nd & a 4th rounder

To Chicago:

Bozak
No to biggs... maybe like Percy, Blacker, Ross, or McKegg

Old
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Deal # 1:

To Toronto:

Ribeiro

To Washington:

Biggs, 2nd rounder

Deal # 2:

To Toronto:

2nd & a 4th rounder

To Chicago:

Bozak
Ribeiro if healthy the rest of the way puts us in the playoffs I think.

Don't want to lose Biggs though. If we are a playoff team, why not our 1st (which I don't wanna do), and ask for their 3rd in return.

Then again, our luck would see us make the trade, Ribeiro gets hurt, we finish 10th and miss out on a top 5 pick.

For any of the Top 5 or 6 free agent forwards, we are gonna have to overpay a bit or A lot!!! No doubt about that. The Perry signing saw to that.

So to get a really good center-man, it will cost our 1st + and prospect.

Having said all that, if you can re-sign, Ribeiro and Clarkson those two definately put us in a GREAT position. What do you give up for both? Gonna cost a lot.

Last edited by northstarnicky: 03-19-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Take away the 27 goals that Kessel contributed on and we are by far the lowest G/G average....
Why would you take them away? Where would we rank if we took Kadri's points away?
The undeniable fact is that this team can still score, without Lupul (save for 4 games), and Kessel at the same contribution %.

I'm not for trading him at all; it would be a great way to move backwards.
We're finally surrounding him with talent.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Deal # 1:

To Toronto:

Ribeiro

To Washington:

Biggs, 2nd rounder

Deal # 2:

To Toronto:

2nd & a 4th rounder

To Chicago:

Bozak
WHAT???????

Gimme a friggen break on deal #1 we are in no position to be moving out future assets for improving anything to do with the POs this season.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 150
Quote:
Where are the Leafs versions of Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, or Seabrook? We have them, and we win the Cup WITH Kessel in my opinion! The Hawks have Elite and Great pieces. With Kessel we have a GREAT piece, not Elite. But sadly, very few if any other Great pieces which we need to be a contender.
Good. You are touching on the bigger issue here, that is, the contradiction.

On one side we have the "Good job, Burke! You have given the Leafs so many great core pieces to go forward with and be a contender soon."

And on the other side we have the "The Hawks have Elite and Great pieces. But sadly [the Leafs], very few if any other Great pieces which we need to be a contender."

So what is it? Do the Leafs have great pieces, or not? Did Burke do a good job, or not? Forget winning the cup, for a second. Can Kessel actually lead a good team (you don't have to think this is a great team), to the playoffs? If he's not a leader, why not?

Quote:
We have them, and we win the Cup WITH Kessel in my opinion!
This is not provable.

But, my point is that I do not think Kessel and Kane are as interchangable as you suggest. Kane has a superior compete level and willingness to win that I have yet to see from Kessel. I do not see any tangible reformation in him.

On the other hand, Kane took his criticism of being a party-person, perhaps not caring, and defeated it with his play this season as well as new attitude. There's a reason Chicago fans are saying he is their MVP, not Toews. This new Kane is an ELITE player. He is a LEADER.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

hard to say what washington does with ribeiro

Old
03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Good. You are touching on the bigger issue here, that is, the contradiction.

On one side we have the "Good job, Burke! You have given the Leafs so many great core pieces to go forward with and be a contender soon."

And on the other side we have the "The Hawks have Elite and Great pieces. But sadly [the Leafs], very few if any other Great pieces which we need to be a contender."

So what is it? Do the Leafs have great pieces, or not? Did Burke do a good job, or not? Forget winning the cup, for a second. Can Kessel actually lead a good team (you don't have to think this is a great team), to the playoffs? If he's not a leader, why not?

This is not provable.

But, my point is that I do not think Kessel and Kane are as interchangable as you suggest. Kane has a superior compete level and willingness to win that I have yet to see from Kessel. I do not see any tangible reformation in him.

On the other hand, Kane took his criticism of being a party-person, perhaps not caring, and defeated it with his play this season as well as new attitude. There's a reason Chicago fans are saying he is their MVP, not Toews. This new Kane is an ELITE player. He is a LEADER.
No, Kessel will/would never lead us. He and this team needs better pieces. And no Burke did not do a great job adding great pieces. To stubborn I think.

And you are right, it's not provable, that is why I said in my opinion.

Question is, where do we go from here? It would seem this team right now is a contradiction in many ways LOL

If this were football, we could always drop back 15 yards and punt.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
pspot

Toronto fans have seen this before with Bosh
talented player that puts up stats but isn't a leader or willing to sacrifice for winning
You can try and build around these guys but unless you are drafting top end talent that will take over for them I just don't think it will work for becoming a contending team, not just a playoff team

I'm glad the Raps didn't give Bosh max , they took a step back to take steps forward and I hope the Leafs do the same with Kessel

Old
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Stephen

I wouldn't mind seeing Anton Khudobin come in and get a shot with us in the summer when he's a UFA. Steal Boston assets!

Old
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
RomanianLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Mission Cap View Post
The Leafs won't be a good team until they get reliable, solid goaltending. Say what you want about how the team is paying in front of them, but ask yourself this: Are you confident with Reimer and Scrivens at puck-drop, or are you unsure of how they'll play that particular night? Fix the goaltending, and this team makes the playoffs.
thissssss..we need a real NHL starting GOALIE enough this crap of reimer and scrivens

Old
03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Anton Khudobin come in and get a shot with us in the summer when he's a UFA. Steal Boston assets!
+1 didn't realize he was an UFA, he's got talent and I'd be pumped to add him

Old
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Gardiner + Grabovski + Gunnarsson for Backstrom

--------

JVR - Backstrom - Kessel
Lupul (A) - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Bozak - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Orr
-McLaren

Rielly - Phaneuf (C)
Liles - Komisarek
Fraser - Franson
-Kostka/Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Old
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Ribeiro if healthy the rest of the way puts us in the playoffs I think.

Don't want to lose Biggs though. If we are a playoff team, why not our 1st (which I don't wanna do), and ask for their 3rd in return.

Then again, our luck would see us make the trade, Ribeiro gets hurt, we finish 10th and miss out on a top 5 pick.

For any of the Top 5 or 6 free agent forwards, we are gonna have to overpay a bit or A lot!!! No doubt about that. The Perry signing saw to that.

So to get a really good center-man, it will cost our 1st + and prospect.

Having said all that, if you can re-sign, Ribeiro and Clarkson those two definately put us in a GREAT position. What do you give up for both? Gonna cost a lot.
I'd rather trade Biggs then our 1st.

Biggs hasn't done anything special since being drafted. People are going to jump all over me for this but his maximum upside was always projected as a 2nd line winger but when you look at players you hope he could turn into like Brown and Callahan his numbers to date aren't even close.

He's not even a PPG player in the OHL which for a 1st rounder is bad. I know everybody will jump on me but the list of power forwards who couldn't even score a PPG in the OHL as a 19 year old who went on to do great thing is very low and yes, I'm ready for people to talk about his intangibles.

Clarkson would be nice but he'll get overpaid as a UFA and Jersey is in a playoff spot with Brodeur returning so I don't see them trading him anyways.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 03-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
facelessjoe1990

Andrej Sustr?

He's a Czech from Nebraska. 6' 8" 225 right dman. Should we go after him? Give him to Dallas Eakins?

Is this the place I should post this here?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
facelessjoe1990

Is Puck me please reliable?

Rumors are he wants to sign with his home town team the Toronto Maple Leafs when the free agency period starts in July.

http://www.puckmeplease.com/nhl-trad...de-rumors.html

Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
Rumors are he wants to sign with his home town team the Toronto Maple Leafs when the free agency period starts in July.

http://www.puckmeplease.com/nhl-trad...de-rumors.html
Does "puckmeplease" sound reliable? It's a rumor cause he's a Toronto boy.

Closed Thread