HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Budsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
He's a Czech from Nebraska. 6' 8" 225 right dman. Should we go after him? Give him to Dallas Eakins?

Is this the place I should post this here?
Sustr, Dekeyser have many NHL suitors

Quote:
The Blueshirts do have a connection with Sustr, who finished his junior season with nine goals and 16 assists in 39 games for UNO. The 22-year-old Czech native participated in the Rangers' development camp in 2011, although he has also skated in development camps for both the Pittsburgh Penguins and Tampa Bay Lightning as well.
Quote:
Dekeyser headlines a small class of coveted college free agents, although it is believed that the Detroit Red Wings have the inside track on the 6-3, 200-pound defenseman. The Clay Township, Mich., native played youth hockey with Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nillís son, Trevor. Dekeyser also played under Jeff Blashill at WMU as a freshman. Blashill is now the head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins, the Red Wingsí AHL affiliate.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...sustr-dekeyser

Old
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

in a yr from now:

LUPUL KADRI FRATTIN
JVR BOZAK KESSEL
MCCARTHUR GRABOVSKI KULEMIN

GARDINER PHANEUF
GUNNARSSON FRANSON
FRASER HOLZER

REIMER
SCRIVENS

maybe we have everything and just need to be a little bit more patient
if colborne ever makes it - dump bozak
when reilly is ready - dump gunnarsson
when ashton biggs finn are ready.....and so on

Last edited by p.l.f.: 03-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Mission Cap View Post
The Leafs won't be a good team until they get reliable, solid goaltending. Say what you want about how the team is paying in front of them, but ask yourself this: Are you confident with Reimer and Scrivens at puck-drop, or are you unsure of how they'll play that particular night? Fix the goaltending, and this team makes the playoffs.
Exactly. I've maintained this point of view all along.

Despite the smoke and mirrors earlier in the season, I think goaltending is still our most glaring need, followed by a top centre and a top defenceman.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Does "puckmeplease" sound reliable? It's a rumor cause he's a Toronto boy.

To answer your question. No he isn't and Clarkson IMO was close to being a captain, he's very well respected in that organization.

03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Danny Dekeyeser is a stud, but I doubt we get him.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
in a yr from now:

LUPUL KADRI FRATTIN
JVR BOZAK KESSEL

GARDINER PHANEUF
GUNNARSSON FRANSON
FRASER HOLZER

REIMER
SCRIVENS

We have money to spend this summer why would we not upgrade on at least one of Bozak, Holzer or CMac?

I really don't see Bozak or CMac fitting in with this team after this season. Not skilled enough to be skilled offensive players and not tough enough to play against to make up for it. Plus they'll both be getting decent salaries as UFAs.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Danny Dekeyeser is a stud, but I doubt we get him.
I've all but settled he'll be with the Grand Rapid Griffins. I will be shocked if goes somewhere else.

Old
Leaftors

we need a goalie, and a number 1 centre. phaneuf needs to sign for less or we get rid of him for another top 2 D, a shut down D that is, with gardiner and rielly, they really fill the same role if you think about it, i can see gardiner as a piece in a trade to get one of the aforementioned things above, as rielly looks alot more promising in my opinion.

Old
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post

To answer your question. No he isn't and Clarkson IMO was close to being a captain, he's very well respected in that organization.
I would love to have him with the Leafs but NJD will do everything the can to re-sign him, he is an important part of their team.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
northstarnicky

Quote:
in a yr from now:

LUPUL KADRI FRATTIN
JVR BOZAK KESSEL

GARDINER PHANEUF
GUNNARSSON FRANSON
FRASER HOLZER

REIMER
SCRIVENS

It's definitely possible. A health Gunnarsson cannot be overstated. He is very good.

I realize it's a Carlyle team, but don't count out Reilly instead of Holzer next year. See how he looks the rest of the year with the Marlies. Same for Biggs and Pearcy.

Old
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Exactly. I've maintained this point of view all along.

Despite the smoke and mirrors earlier in the season, I think goaltending is still our most glaring need, followed by a top centre and a top defenceman.
I think Reimer/Scrivens can provide Hawks/Sharks/Wings level of goaltending which allows us to spend cap dollars elsewhere because their salaries are so low.

Our goaltending has been been good this year and great if you want to measure it by cap hit.

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1771 View Post
we need a goalie, and a number 1 centre. phaneuf needs to sign for less or we get rid of him for another top 2 D, a shut down D that is, with gardiner and rielly, they really fill the same role if you think about it, i can see gardiner as a piece in a trade to get one of the aforementioned things above, as rielly looks alot more promising in my opinion.
Well currently it looks the goalie market is pretty brutal. All we can do is wait for a trade.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I would love to have him with the Leafs but NJD will do everything the can to re-sign him, he is an important part of their team.
Indeed.

It is very likely they'll overpay him to keep him and it's not surprising.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I've all but settled he'll be with the Grand Rapid Griffins. I will be shocked if goes somewhere else.
No kidding. Great chance for him to battle for a spot in Detroit.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
We have money to spend this summer why would we not upgrade on at least one of Bozak, Holzer or CMac?

I really don't see Bozak or CMac fitting in with this team after this season. Not skilled enough to be skilled offensive players and not tough enough to play against to make up for it. Plus they'll both be getting decent salaries as UFAs.
Casue it's entirely possible all of the decent UFA's will be re-signed by their current teams. How can we upgrade if they (Bozak and CMac) are the only UFA's available?

In the end, I agree with you. Just not going to be a good UFA market me thinks.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Asif16*

I feel like this trade deadline is going to be a Dud. The biggest deadline move we may see is Iginla and bowmesster getting moved, and thats about it. I dont see the leafs doing anything to be honest. A small deal like moving Tim Connoly may be it. I see us moving on with the team that we have and evaluting options in the summer. Everyone is just too tightly fit in the standings.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:29 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Sustr, Dekeyser have many NHL suitors

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...sustr-dekeyser
I'd love Sustr, do we ever need some potential top four RHD and the fact that he is 6'8" only makes it better.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
facelessjoe1990

College player contracts?

How much should we spend if we want Sustr? How much can you pay a college player?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
We need a goalie first and foremost, I'm sorry but Riemer and Scrivens at this point are nothing but backups. Next priority is finding a shutdown defencmen to play with Phaneuf, we have NOBODY on this roster that fill this need, which means we need to go out and acquire one. The third priorty is finding a top line centre, but if Kadri can keep up his .8 to ppg pace I think we may have finally solved that riddle.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Leaftors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
We need a goalie first and foremost, I'm sorry but Riemer and Scrivens at this point are nothing but backups. Next priority is finding a shutdown defencmen to play with Phaneuf, we have NOBODY on this roster that fill this need, which means we need to go out and acquire one. The third priorty is finding a top line centre, but if Kadri can keep up his .8 to ppg pace I think we may have finally solved that riddle.
i truly believe kadri IS A #1 C, i just wish randy would give him a shot there, rather then keep bozak there

Old
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
northstarnicky

It all boils down two two possible scenarios. Stay with what we have and draft and hope and develop our own or go with the trade market. The UFA market will not be an option to truly upgrade because they best will be simply re-signed.

If we agree that we need to significantly upgrade through a trade, it will cost us our 1st plus either Gardiner or Reilly. It's that simple. Realizing that if we stay with what we have, we draft out of the top 8 and will not have a chance at a lottery pick.

Realizing that, can you get a Clarkson type player, with all his intangables, drafting after the top 8? Maybe not. At least it's not a sure thing. I wouldn't want to have Nonis' job.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
in a yr from now:

LUPUL KADRI FRATTIN
JVR BOZAK KESSEL

GARDINER PHANEUF
GUNNARSSON FRANSON
FRASER HOLZER

REIMER
SCRIVENS

if colborne ever makes it - dump bozak
when reilly is ready - dump gunnarsson
when ashton biggs finn are ready.....and so on
This is quite true. However if possible i'd swap Bozak for Ribeiro or Weiss. I'd also swap MacArthur for Clarkson. And if that happened trade Bozak+Mac in a package to get a solid RHD.

Overall some tweeks but future's looking brighter.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
i truly believe kadri IS A #1 C, i just wish randy would give him a shot there, rather then keep bozak there
I here what your saying, offensively yes by far hes our most talented centre. But I understand WHY Bozak is on the top line, Bozak excels at winning faceoffs, which leads to puck possession for his line, not to mention he's solid in his own end too.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
How much should we spend if we want Sustr? How much can you pay a college player?
Not sure if there is a limit. But the kid can play IMO.

Didn't Gardiner step right in? Anything is possible with God, and we all know that God is a Leaf fan. It's just that God has a funny sense of humor to say the least.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarnicky View Post
Casue it's entirely possible all of the decent UFA's will be re-signed by their current teams. How can we upgrade if they (Bozak and CMac) are the only UFA's available?

In the end, I agree with you. Just not going to be a good UFA market me thinks.
There are lots of quality 2nd line/2 pairing players available and this is the first year the cap has dropped.

Even if you sign someone like say a #4/5 dman like Hainsey but it allows you to deal Holzer for a pick it's still an organizational depth upgrade.

Toronto will always spend to the cap or even above it (if you can't us buring contracts that are no longer allowed but I could Nonis taking on a compliance buy-out to gain an extra asset).

Closed Thread