HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Seriously I don't mind Weiss but he's not better than Grabovski.

03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
This. Not interested in Weiss at all.
Well I should rephrase what I meant.

Dumping Grabo just to turn around to sign an identical player to $5M>, for 5 years is pointless.

But Weiss would be a suitable replacement if we were to move Grabo out in a package to fill that top3 dman spot.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Sharabhi

Goaltending is our weakest link right now in my opinion.

Our goalies make great saves, but all starting goalies do that.
Too often do we see them flopping around or giving up juicy rebounds.

Next requirement should be a top minute shutdown dman that can play against the top lines.

Buffalo is a great target for both needs. Their morale seems to be at an all-time low and I would bet players are under-performing because of this.

Our offense does not need tinkering. We'll have to address that when we let Bozak walk in the off-season. I don't see us having the right assets to upgrade our offense enough, unless we make a push to trade Kessel for a character/captain type of guy.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharabhi View Post

Next requirement should be a top minute shutdown dman that can play against the top lines.

Buffalo is a great target for both needs. Their morale seems to be at an all-time low and I would bet players are under-performing because of this.

Our offense does not need tinkering. We'll have to address that when we let Bozak walk in the off-season. I don't see us having the right assets to upgrade our offense enough, unless we make a push to trade Kessel for a character/captain type of guy.
I disagree. These are just the humps and bumps of developing a young goaltender. You can however make it much easier on them with a bunch of good dmen in front of them.

Top priority should be a top 3 dman.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
This may be true but the point is it's a Grabo that can play with Kessel. If Grabo was able to play with Kessel (frustrating that he can't) we wouldn't have to look for a borderline #1, good number 2 center.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
departures89

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

Ducks might need some cap relief soon. With the success of Fasth, think they ditch Hiller's $4.5M (for 1 more season)?

Should we give Hiller a test drive? I'm still of the opinion that neither one of our goalies are stable every day netminders so I'm intrigued.
This could very well be the Leafs deadline trade... I like where your head is at, sir

Old
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
This may be true but the point is it's a Grabo that can play with Kessel. If Grabo was able to play with Kessel (frustrating that he can't) we wouldn't have to look for a borderline #1, good number 2 center.
I didn't realize Weiss and Kessel played together before....

Old
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post
This could very well be the Leafs deadline trade... I like where your head is at, sir
I imagine they'd rather wait until the offseason to ensure they have reliable goaltending in the playoff if Fasth gets hurt.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
The Grabo under Ron and Gun maybe, the Grabo under Cycle and Defend, I'd take Weiss, though at this stage, I would rather re-sign Bozak and hope Kadri keeps growing into even a better player. No one is going to give you their top 6 Centers, 1A or 1B variety in this league. Draft/Develop/Promote is the only viable option to us.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

Ducks might need some cap relief soon. With the success of Fasth, think they ditch Hiller's $4.5M (for 1 more season)?

Should we give Hiller a test drive? I'm still of the opinion that neither one of our goalies are stable every day netminders so I'm intrigued.
This has crossed my mind as well. I expect they will hold on to him for the rest of the season but maybe the Ducks will consider something around Hiller (+?) for Grabo+Scrivens. Might have to take back a contract or retain some of Grabo's salary. Ducks could use a 2nd line C though unless they think Koivu or Cogliano will get the job done or Holland will be ready to step into that role.

Unfortunately I dont think Grabo's contract would be too appealing to them, and they'd be better off to pick up a 2nd line C another way. We should still be interested in Hiller though.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharabhi View Post

I won't be too worried to be honest. When we get reims back to a serviceable mode he should help us quite a bit. I doubt the sabres would be dumb enough to part with their vezina like goalie and possibly number 1 pairing defensemen to us.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The Grabo under Ron and Gun maybe, the Grabo under Cycle and Defend, I'd take Weiss, though at this stage, I would rather re-sign Bozak and hope Kadri keeps growing into even a better player. No one is going to give you their top 6 Centers, 1A or 1B variety in this league. Draft/Develop/Promote is the only viable option to us.
This is a key point; you really need to be able to use your homegrown talent as opposed to fighting for scraps on the FA market.

However people around here often neglect the last two terms in "Draft-Develop-Promote". Especially the develop term.

Around here it's more like "Draft-Hype-Promote-Hate"

Old
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
This has crossed my mind as well. I expect they will hold on to him for the rest of the season but maybe the Ducks will consider something around Hiller (+?) for Grabo+Scrivens. Might have to take back a contract or retain some of Grabo's salary. Ducks could use a 2nd line C though unless they think Koivu or Cogliano will get the job done or Holland will be ready to step into that role.

Unfortunately I dont think Grabo's contract would be too appealing to them, and they'd be better off to pick up a 2nd line C another way. We should still be interested in Hiller though.
The only way I could see the Ducks doing that is in a trade for Bobby Ryan, who they likely wouldn't be able to resign at a higher cost with Perry and Getzlaf locked up

It could be a Ryan + Hiller for Grabo +++ (a few bigger pieces) .. But even then do they really want that term with the likes of Palmieri, Holland, etc coming up and developing? Probably not

Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
This is a key point; you really need to be able to use your homegrown talent as opposed to fighting for scraps on the FA market.

However people around here often neglect the last two terms in "Draft-Develop-Promote". Especially the develop term.

Around here it's more like "Draft-Hate-Hype-Hate-Promote-Hate-Trade-Regret"
Fixed that for you

Old
departures89

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I imagine they'd rather wait until the offseason to ensure they have reliable goaltending in the playoff if Fasth gets hurt.
True...You're probably right.

I just could see them gambling and trying to fill another hole by trading Hiller out.

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Weiss won't be able to stay up with Kessel pace at all. He's having a tough time as it is in the florida panthers area. I mean have people not realized this? He's good but not as good as some are claiming. We'll find a solution, there are always other options people aren't even aware of. When there is a will there is a way.

Interactif people said the EXACT same thing about Kessel not flourishing under Carlyle to my face and several people's when he was on that drought. Kessel is lightning it up like crazy atm and one of the best producers of our team. He's very close to PPG, if only off by a point or two. He's in a funk and it's normal, it's been like this for the past few years. Don't understand why people can't comprehend it. He'll be fine IMO, he's just in a rut. He's an idea second line center over Bozie, but yea shoot first centers don't really work with Grabo and grabo plays a bit different.

Old
pspot

Quote:

Liles (leafs retain 50%) and Scrivens would be gives them an NHL dman and back up goalie and saves them 2 mill in cap space

would probably require a pick or prospect from Leafs as well and with the retained salary it would be like paying Hiller 6.4

Old
03-19-2013, 02:21 PM
departures89

Quote:

I think Grabo's contract won't appeal to many teams (maybe Columbus )
Which is why I think they would possibly consider Bozak and Gunnarsson (just my trade guess)

Both are young and affordable. Also Bozak will need to be resigned by I can't see him making much north of 3m

Old
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

I think as far as player performance, I would like our Defense to be set-up as this:

Gardiner - Phaneuf

Liles - _______

Fraser - Franson

I think we need to have Liles in the line-up, he's a solid PMD, my question, who can we get for a partner for him?

I think Gunnarsson needs to be moved, he's struggled, and doesn't really fit anywhere.

Maybe Kostka? then in the off-season, address it through a UFA, or possibly give Morgan Reilly a chance to make this squad?

Old
03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoffglass View Post
I think as far as player performance, I would like our Defense to be set-up as this:

Gardiner - Phaneuf

Liles - _______

Fraser - Franson

I think we need to have Liles in the line-up, he's a solid PMD, my question, who can we get for a partner for him?

I think Gunnarsson needs to be moved, he's struggled, and doesn't really fit anywhere.

Maybe Kostka? then in the off-season, address it through a UFA, or possibly give Morgan Reilly a chance to make this squad?
Really, really don't see how Gardiner fits on the Phaneuf pairing. I don't think he's the guy to be playing 25+mins against the Crosby, Ovie, Stamkos etc levels.

I think we'll be seeing more of Phaneuf-Franson than most think.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post
True...You're probably right.

I just could see them gambling and trying to fill another hole by trading Hiller out.
But do they really have any holes?

They're flying way under the radar. They're 21-3-4. I doubt they mess too much with a record like that

Old
03-19-2013, 02:34 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Quote:
Really, really don't see how Gardiner fits on the Phaneuf pairing. I don't think he's the guy to be playing 25+mins against the Crosby, Ovie, Stamkos etc levels.

I think we'll be seeing more of Phaneuf-Franson than most think.
I could see that, the reason I put Gardiner on the top pairing is that he has the speed, and awareness to make up for a lack of a physical presence.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoffglass View Post
I could see that, the reason I put Gardiner on the top pairing is that he has the speed, and awareness to make up for a lack of a physical presence.
Yes but RC's top pairing isn't about being able to use your speed to avoid having to play defense. It's about playing defense and shutting down the oppositions best players.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Hawaiinleaf

I want Coyle from Minny but he is starting to score so that oppurtunity might be lost ala Colin Wilson

WE need a big young physical centre who can play...behind Kadri at #2..

Old
03-19-2013, 02:42 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Quote:
Yes but RC's top pairing isn't about being able to use your speed to avoid having to play defense. It's about playing defense and shutting down the oppositions best players.
Well, Ithink that's where Nonis and Carlyle need to be on the same page... having a top pairing where Dion is doesn't know who his partner is (When this is your shut-down pair) Is not an ideal situation. Who could you see the leafs targeting if they can't fill that internally?

Closed Thread