HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
dubplatepressure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
He had 2 major concussions in the last 2 years or so. Clarkson has been pretty injury free.
Is that so? Wow, I hadn't realized this. Hmm... maybe his game has fallen as a result which is why he's fallen out of favour in Boston? That said, looks like Lucic has also fallen out of favour to but not from concussions... maybe after they won their cup they've become complacent a bit.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
He's coming off of two serious concussions...
Im well aware. However if you put the work into you can do it. Mueller is doing well in Florida atm.

Asif16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
regarding kipper: I will be super pissed and call for nonis' head if he pays that much of a ransom for a washed up goalie that is a short term solution ..... cant see it happening unless MLSE has a gun pushed up to his head seing as nonis loves developing teams

regarding Komi: feel kinda feel bad for the big lug .... he was a bust for the most part but the last few games of last season and the games he played this season were pretty good imo I would have preffered him over lolzer & kostka on the ice .... hopefully for both sides a team picks him up here but I dont get why he didnt get a fair shake with randy really think he woulda thrived under him
Yeah exactly what I was thinking and dont get either. Mind boggling, especially considering he kept Holzer with the big club for as long as he did becuause he was a big tough physical right handed stay at home defenceman. Komisarek is the exact same thing with less turnovers.

Old
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Disagree - I'd rather have Horton. Even though guys like Horton, Malone, Clowe and even Clarkson (who has a career high of 46 pts) are all perennial 45-55pt PWF wingers, IMO Horton is not only the youngest of the bunch, but has the most offensive upside as well.

I'd definitely take a run at Horton over all of Clowe and Clarkson. Hands down. Not sure why ppl are saying Clarkson here.... should be a no-brainer for Horton IMO.
Because someone asked a question and they are answering with their opinion...?

Further, Horton's had serious concussions as well as a laundry list of other injuries, that is major baggage on a 5 year deal (the term proposed in the question). And Clarkson is just 1 year (10 months, really) older than horton, so it's not like there's a large disparity in age.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Griffski

Production wise Horton... I'd rather have Clarkson he brings more to the table plus he's a local guy.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Horton's beaten Clarkson's career high in points 5 times in his career which is why I would rather have him, even if he has had concussions recently.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Because someone asked a question and they are answering with their opinion...?

Further, Horton's had serious concussions as well as a laundry list of other injuries, that is major baggage on a 5 year deal (the term proposed in the question). And Clarkson is just 1 year (10 months, really) older than horton, so it's not like there's a large disparity in age.
First you ridicule my statement them you legitimize it with your response. There's no need for snarky retorts, friend. I was simply saying I'm questioning why the fanbase would chose Clarkson over Horton. I wasn't aware of the severity of his concussions, but even still, Clarkson has clearly been outperformed Horton by Horton on the scoresheet in their careers.

Clarkson may get here and be the 30-40 pt player he always is - we do tend to see everything with rose coloured glasses.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
Production wise Horton... I'd rather have Clarkson he brings more to the table plus he's a local guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Horton's beaten Clarkson's career high in points 5 times in his career which is why I would rather have him, even if he has had concussions recently.
I can absolutely understand your POVs, I also think Horton is more talented. My problem with him on a long term deal is the injury history but also him disappearing for long stretches (ask B's fans) and/or not constantly giving it his all like a David Clarkson. He reminds me of players like JVR who can dominate when they want to but are invisible for long stretches, not doing anything for the team. With a Clarkson, you're gonna get 110% from him just about every shift, you'll get forechecking and grit consistently.

I think our team has quite a few Horton-types (not talent-wise) in terms of invisibility cloaks for long stretches (JVR, MacA, Grabo, Bozak, even Kessel) and not enough Clarkson types that give it their all on a shift-to-shift basis. I'd take Clarkson's over Horton's almost every time. But, it's just my prerogative.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:52 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
First you ridicule my statement them you legitimize it with your response. There's no need for snarky retorts, friend. I was simply saying I'm questioning why the fanbase would chose Clarkson over Horton. I wasn't aware of the severity of his concussions, but even still, Clarkson has clearly been outperformed Horton by Horton on the scoresheet in their careers.

Clarkson may get here and be the 30-40 pt player he always is - we do tend to see everything with rose coloured glasses.
No ridicule, my man, just answering your question, and expressing my opinion.

To be honest, I wouldn't give either 5x5 for what they bring because of the term. If I had to choose it'd be Clarkson, but to me it's not the "hands down" others have expressed. It's pretty close for me, just saying I'd take consistent grit and effort over inconsistent skill over a 5 year contract. Were it a 1 or 2 year offer, that'd be different, imo.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
No ridicule, my man, just answering your question, and expressing my opinion.

To be honest, I wouldn't give either 5x5 for what they bring because of the term. If I had to choose it'd be Clarkson, but to me it's not the "hands down" others have expressed.
That much we can agree on. Neither are deserving of $5m at this point... whether a GM offers it, that's a different issue.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Clarkson will go through a wall for you, something Horton can't do anymore because of his mush head.

But seriously, we wouldn't be getting the Horton from two years ago. It looks likes he's hesitant to play a physical game because of the fear of suffering another concussion. Clarkson is in his prime and can do just about anything. It's Clarkson for me AINEC.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Clarkson will go through a wall for you, something Horton can do anymore because of his mush head.

But seriously, we wouldn't be getting the Horton from two years ago. It looks likes he's hesitant to play a physical game because of the fear of suffering another concussion. Clarkson is in his prime and can do just about anything. It's Clarkson for me AINEC.
Clarkson > Horton for me as well.

If he wont score, at least Clarkson would be effective in providing toughness and stick up for team mates. Horton is inconsistent throughout.

03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
I take clarkson over hoton 10/10 times..... not even a contest imo

- one has been improving his game over the past couple years the other has been battling injuries during the same span
- one guy is effective in every facet of the game, the other is USELESS infact a lazy detriment if he isnt putting up points
- one guy is a heart and soul playing with insane work ethic the other has been notorious for inconsistant effort and should have been a superstar if he gave a damn
- one guy plays a hardnosed game and is a thorn in the side of every dman/goalie he plays against, the other doesnt use his size near as much as he could
- one guy has developed his entire career under arguably one of the best gms the game has ever seen + great coaching staffs and systems that shoot for success.... the other spent most of his time toiling away on a ****hole panthers team (sure he won a cup in boston but for the majority of his career he has been a huge contributer to a losing environment)

Horton has much more skill but clarkson puts 100x the effort in every shift to make him the more important player

Old
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
rumman

Horton was never the player he could of been after Anthony Stewart broke his jaw in junior, before that fight the sky was the limit for how high nathan could soar.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Random thought for the day; how do you feel about offersheeting Pietrangelo?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Clarkson is better defensively, and more physical.

I don't think there's any doubt that Horton has the potential to put up better point totals, but I'd still prefer Clarkson for the reasons mentioned above.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I'd do it, don't see why St. Louis wouldnt match thou.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Apparently we had a couple scouts at the Vancouver game last night. Wonder if they're inquiring about Bozak?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Would feel great about it, but doubt anyone other than Paul Holmgren has the cojones to do it

Old
03-20-2013, 07:50 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Would feel great about it, but doubt anyone other than Paul Holmgren has the cojones to do it
Three teams should just offer sheet Giroux, Schenn and Couts next summer to get him back.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Duffman955

Only thing that concerns me is the price for Clarkson.

I would be reluctant to pay a 40 point forward 5x5 no matter what the intangibles are.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
And you think they haven't been trying to move Liles.
They definitely were and for the an overpayment he'd still be but I think this team needs him more than Carlyle wanted to admit before.

Lately he's been playing 20 minutes a game because the Kostka/Holzer experiment didn't work.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
dubplatepressure

Thank god we have Kadri... He is so good with the puck. What a player.

Anyway, Grab's giveaways again tonight.... Hoping we really deal him. Perhaps we can pull Raymond out of Vancouver for him and then trade MacArthur.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Apparently we had a couple scouts at the Vancouver game last night. Wonder if they're inquiring about Bozak?
They were playing the Blues too who we've been linked to in some rumors lately.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
They were playing the Blues too who we've been linked to in some rumors lately.
Didnt realize that, makes a ton of sense

Closed Thread