HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XVII - Baseball has returned!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  #1001
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,866
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The only player I'd be willing to pony up for is Stanton. He already is what everyone hope Soler's ceiling might be. The Cubs could easily afford to lock him up for 7-10 years and have their #3 hitter set.
I'd be fine with Price, Headley or Stanton, but that all depends on how we do at the deadline. Right now, I don't think it serves us well to get any of them.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  #1002
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I'd be fine with Price, Headley or Stanton, but that all depends on how we do at the deadline. Right now, I don't think it serves us well to get any of them.
Doesn't serve us well to get Stanton? How not? I like Price but pitchers scare me, I don't want to pony up young players for them unless we are ready to win. Would pass on Headley.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
  #1003
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,866
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Doesn't serve us well to get Stanton? How not? I like Price but pitchers scare me, I don't want to pony up young players for them unless we are ready to win. Would pass on Headley.
It has good potential to set us back. It may make us a little better, but we're going to be shifted into mediocrity if we don't stockpile enough talent to complement a guy like Stanton with what we already have.

I don't know why. He's a .380 wOBA player in the Grand Canyon.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #1004
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
It has good potential to set us back. It may make us a little better, but we're going to be shifted into mediocrity if we don't stockpile enough talent to complement a guy like Stanton with what we already have.

I don't know why. He's a .380 wOBA player in the Grand Canyon.
Set us back how? I'm not sure how adding a 23 year old player that is one of the best power hitters in the league is going to set us into mediocrity. The Cubs will be lucky if even 1 of their prospects turns out good enough to become Stanton. I didn't like the Matt Garza trade at the time, but none of those players the Cubs traded have amounted to anything yet. Chris Archer is going into his 3rd year of AAA at age 24 this year. Hak-Ju Lee has started off hot this year in AAA but was nothing special in AA the last 2 seasons. You want your prospects to turn into stars or at least contributors, so why not trade them and turn them into an actual young star?

Headley over performed by a lot last season. Way above his career average.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:57 PM
  #1005
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,866
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Set us back how? I'm not sure how adding a 23 year old player that is one of the best power hitters in the league is going to set us into mediocrity. The Cubs will be lucky if even 1 of their prospects turns out good enough to become Stanton. I didn't like the Matt Garza trade at the time, but none of those players the Cubs traded have amounted to anything yet. Chris Archer is going into his 3rd year of AAA at age 24 this year. Hak-Ju Lee has started off hot this year in AAA but was nothing special in AA the last 2 seasons. You want your prospects to turn into stars or at least contributors, so why not trade them and turn them into an actual young star?

Headley over performed by a lot last season. Way above his career average.
The problem is, if you blow your load on some superstud, it makes it much harder to surround him with competent talent. That's why these trades don't happen. Trading for Matt Garza and trading for Giancarlo Stanton are two different things.

With sustainable peripherals and when he entered his prime years.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
  #1006
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The problem is, if you blow your load on some superstud, it makes it much harder to surround him with competent talent. That's why these trades don't happen. Trading for Matt Garza and trading for Giancarlo Stanton are two different things.

With sustainable peripherals and when he entered his prime years.
It doesn't make it harder when you consider the Cubs will certainly add prospects at the trade deadline, have a high draft pick this year and will certainly have another high pick next season. If Rizzo is as good as I think he can be, and you add Stanton to he and Castro, you have a pretty killer 3-4-5 all under 25. You can add pieces around that, especially when you have Samardzjia, Wood, and Jackson under contract and add a player like Appel in this draft.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:06 PM
  #1007
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,866
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
It doesn't make it harder when you consider the Cubs will certainly add prospects at the trade deadline, have a high draft pick this year and will certainly have another high pick next season. If Rizzo is as good as I think he can be, and you add Stanton to he and Castro, you have a pretty killer 3-4-5 all under 25. You can add pieces around that, especially when you have Samardzjia, Wood, and Jackson under contract and add a player like Appel in this draft.
Look at the Angels right now. They have a top heavy setup on the major league squad with some of the best players in baseball, but can't supplement it because the guys in their system have no discernible future with the big club. That's what you try to avoid.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
  #1008
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Look at the Angels right now. They have a top heavy setup on the major league squad with some of the best players in baseball, but can't supplement it because the guys in their system have no discernible future with the big club. That's what you try to avoid.
The Angels ended up with 89 wins last year after starting 6-13 which was largely a function of Pujols sucking for the first two months of the year and Trout not playing until the end of April. They are off to a rough start this year but its very early. The Angels also haven't been drafting at the top of the draft like the Cubs will do this year, and next year at least.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:13 PM
  #1009
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,160
vCash: 500
Castro with 2 walks today, incredible!

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
  #1010
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,158
vCash: 500
Back to back jacks from Rizzo and Soriano.

edit- Schierholtz almost makes it back to back to back but it goes foul.

RomersWorld* is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:22 PM
  #1011
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,866
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Angels ended up with 89 wins last year after starting 6-13 which was largely a function of Pujols sucking for the first two months of the year and Trout not playing until the end of April. They are off to a rough start this year but its very early. The Angels also haven't been drafting at the top of the draft like the Cubs will do this year, and next year at least.
They also had Zach Greinke for half the year and Dan Haren was at least competent.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  #1012
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,160
vCash: 500
Small sample size but Stephen Bruno is crushing it for the Cubs. 350 PA's between high and low A, .369/.448/.503 slash line.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:23 PM
  #1013
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 135,903
vCash: 302
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1406721

New thread

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.