HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Aka "The Salesman"

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
The Luongo Thread - Aka "The Salesman"

Soooo No Luongo thread for a while, unless I missed it somewhere. Was listening to the Fan590 podcast and Kypreos seems to have stepped in it. On air, he called Luongo a "salesman". This perturbed a few Vancouverites, specifically our own John Garrett, who confronted Kipper on it within the February 22nd podcast found here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey_central_at_noon/

Now then, I'm curious to know what people think of Luongo's image during recent times. Do people see him as having flipped his persona, changed it as a means to an end, or is just more open now than before? Did Kypreos's point sound logical to you? Can you call someone a "salesman" and not mean they're a phony? Please do share.

On the point of the trade, I'm really curious what FLA could do both now or at the end of the year. Especially given the fact that Weiss's name has been bandied about. But what about NYI now, with Dipietro heading for a buyout? Or Washington still? The landscape has changed over the past few weeks, so I think we can speculate as to new possibilities here.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
ddawg1950

I would not say much about Kypreos beyond saying that he manufactures controversy.

As for Lou's persona, it seems to me that he was challenged and humbled in the last year and he responded in an admirable way.

He projected a mature vibe, talked about team and then proceeded to fight his way back to the top of his form.

Nothing but respect for that.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Kypreos is such a punk.

If there's one thing I know about Luongo, it's that he's an honest guy. It created controversy for him in the SCF, but what we are seeing right now is the also the real Roberto. He doesn't need to fake this. (I don't think he could if he wanted to anyways. ) He just took his job too seriously and became consumed by it. It tore him apart, but seeing schneider being anointed as our future goalie finally led to some acceptance from Lu. I think he sees the bigger picture now.

Stop disrespecting Lu.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I hope kypreos interviews Lu and Lu calls him a milt or something similar.

Last edited by luongo321: 02-23-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Kypreos pretty well admitted in a recent interview that he holds a grudge against Luongo for granting ESPN an interview during the SCF, and then declining one with Sportsnet who were in the same room.

To say he's got a biased opinion on all things Luongo is putting things delicately.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
BerSTUzzi

Do you think it is the Canucks that are holding back trade talks now? I just cannot think one of a bunch of teams that are struggling with tending aren't all over Lui and his "stupid" stat line.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Do you think it is the Canucks that are holding back trade talks now? I just cannot think one of a bunch of teams that are struggling with tending aren't all over Lui and his "stupid" stat line.
Probably not good enough of a return to warrant trading Luongo. This is a big mess created by AV during the playoffs. The only brightside is that we got Schneider signed to a contract and now are using both goalies. With the way Lu is playing right now, MG would be crazy to make a trade right now. Plus, he'll want to see how well the team is meshing (kes/booth just came back from injuries) before he does anything. I still think both goalies will be here for the entire season. With the way raymond and schroeder are working out, it gives our team a bit more offensive depth. Our top 6 could definitely use a more skilled top 6, but I don't think we'd get that back from a lu trade. Might as well just stick with the team we have. I think they have a good shot at the cup if they actually play like they give a damn.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
I heard this too, and immediately classified it under "Kypreos is still mad at Luongo for declining his interview".

What a hack.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Habitat

The only thing I can say is luongo better be starting in the playoffs if we want to win a championship this year.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
a pony

Kypreos is everything terrible about Sportsnet wrapped up into one neat package.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Probably not good enough of a return to warrant trading Luongo. This is a big mess created by AV during the playoffs. The only brightside is that we got Schneider signed to a contract and now are using both goalies. With the way Lu is playing right now, MG would be crazy to make a trade right now. Plus, he'll want to see how well the team is meshing (kes/booth just came back from injuries) before he does anything. I still think both goalies will be here for the entire season. With the way raymond and schroeder are working out, it gives our team a bit more offensive depth. Our top 6 could definitely use a more skilled top 6, but I don't think we'd get that back from a lu trade. Might as well just stick with the team we have. I think they have a good shot at the cup if they actually play like they give a damn.
Two goalies come the playoffs is a waste of cap space (when you can use 5 million on someone(s) else). It is so rare for two goalies to be used to win the cup. I understand taking time to see how Booth/Kesler impact this team after 10 games, but come trading deadline I would hope Lui is gone.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Two goalies come the playoffs is a waste of cap space (when you can use 5 million on someone(s) else). It is so rare for two goalies to be used to win the cup. I understand taking time to see how Booth/Kesler impact this team after 10 games, but come trading deadline I would hope Lui is gone.

Yes and no. Is fatigue a significant factor for goaltenders during a run for the cup? That's what Gillis and co will have to evaluate. If they feel that it is, then Luongo to them is worth a lot more than just assuming he will be on the bench the whole way through. What if the goalies split the starts in the playoffs?

It hasn't been done because like you said, it's rare for two goalies to be used to win a cup. But MG is a progressive thinker. Maybe he feels it's best to try this strategy now?

Overall, it comes down to the return. If the return helps this team more than what Luongo could provide in their vision, then he should be dealt. Otherwise, I can definitely see them ride this out through to the offseason.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Clown pundits from Toronto will be forever ripping Vancouver. It's a schoolyard tactic where they think pissing off this fan base is worth it because it panders to enough other hockey markets. All the other Canadian markets lap it up, except Montreal, who I guess turn to RDS instead of CBC and TSN. Mallard is the worst though. He basically takes the stupidest ideas from HF Boards and floats them on that segment. He get's called out for it by guys like Brad May, and then rebukes them for breaking some on air protocol. I swear, the guy acts like he's 16.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Feel like a broken record, but if you're not getting in something that clearly improves your team, what good is $5m in cap space in the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Hal 9000*

Luongo is having a Vezina type year and Schneider is in the bottom third in goalie stats on the same team with the same minutes. I may sound like a broken record, but trading Luongo over Schneider is just plain wrong.
As for keeping both for the playoffs, I thought it was a big mistake last year and it would be a bigger mistake this year.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Luongo is having a Vezina type year and Schneider is in the bottom third in goalie stats on the same team with the same minutes. I may sound like a broken record, but trading Luongo over Schneider is just plain wrong.
As for keeping both for the playoffs, I thought it was a big mistake last year and it would be a bigger mistake this year.

How could it have been a mistake last year when we didn't know what the offers were at the trade deadline? Did anyone here of what was being offered for Schneider? Or are you suggesting that they should have taken near anything?

For me, everything to this point, including Gillis's own words, suggest that nothing has changed and Luongo will still be the one to go.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Feel like a broken record, but if you're not getting in something that clearly improves your team, what good is $5m in cap space in the playoffs.
but what does $5 million in cap space give you sitting on the bench though? Even if you increase just the 3rd/4th lines with that space, it's better in play than on the bench IMO.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
How could it have been a mistake last year when we didn't know what the offers were at the trade deadline? Did anyone here of what was being offered for Schneider? Or are you suggesting that they should have taken near anything?

For me, everything to this point, including Gillis's own words, suggest that nothing has changed and Luongo will still be the one to go.
I don't think it's a sure bet. IF we decide to keep both of them this season and Schneider lets down bigtime in the playoffs, MG would look like a complete idiot to trade Lu. I just don't think we'll get the deal we want for Luongo that would improve this team enough.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
but what does $5 million in cap space give you sitting on the bench though? Even if you increase just the 3rd/4th lines with that space it's better in play than on the bench IMO.
Not IMO.

Asset management here.

If you want to make a move that improves the club this season, then you want to trade Schneider.

Easier to trade.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I don't think it's a sure bet. IF we decide to keep both of them this season and Schneider lets down bigtime in the playoffs, MG would look like a complete idiot to trade Lu. I just don't think we'll get the deal we want for Luongo that would improve this team enough.
If Lu's playoff track record were more impressive we probably aren't having this discussion.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
luongo321

Quote:
but what does $5 million in cap space give you sitting on the bench though? Even if you increase just the 3rd/4th lines with that space it's better in play than on the bench IMO.
I wouldn't totally agree with this. Have you seen how many tweeners we have on this team? Lots of depth, but not enough elite offensive skill. Elite offensive skill is what this team needs more than anything else. Luongo is much more valuable to this team than some 3rd/4th liner when compared to what we have right now. Last year was a write-off with Kesler being injured and the Kings pulling off a miracle run.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Dado

vCash:
I don't like the insinuation that "salesman" means "phoney". That's actually pretty insulting to a whole lot of non-elite-athlete type folks.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Not IMO.

Asset management here.

If you want to make a move that improves the club this season, then you want to trade Schneider.

Easier to trade.
Sure, if you can't trade Lui and get what you want and "IF" he agrees to stay long term then go for it. I just hate having cap space that could be used on the ice than off it (only talking playoffs).

Old
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Sure, if you can't trade Lui and get what you want and "IF" he agrees to stay long term then go for it. I just hate having cap space that could be used on the ice than off it (only talking playoffs).
Yeah fair enough.

Luongo doesn't have to agree to stay here. His 12 year contract is already the agreement.

I don't like it much either, but I'd rather have both then trade Lu for Goc and a 1st for example.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Yeah fair enough.

Luongo doesn't have to agree to stay here. His 12 year contract is already the agreement.

I don't like it much either, but I'd rather have both then trade Lu for Goc and a 1st for example.
I agree, if we are going for "futures" then do it at the draft. If someone offers a legit 2nd liner, I want him and it doesn't matter for which goalie it is.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
If Lu's playoff track record were more impressive we probably aren't having this discussion.
Lu's playoff track record is more impressive than Henrik Lundqvist. Are you suggesting we would be trading him too?